Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2013 12:32:00 AM EDT
I'm thinking of putting it on my laptop for shits and giggles.

I saw steam came eout for ubuntu, bringing PC gaming to Ubuntu.

Is ubuntu the most user friendly for new-to-linux people?
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:33:21 AM EDT
[#1]
You do not get the whole Steam library with Steam for Linux.  Only a handful of indie type games.

AV1611

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:39:03 AM EDT
[#2]
DL and Run the Live CDs first. Mint, Ubuntu, XuBuntu, etc. Try before you buy so to speak.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:40:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You do not get the whole Steam library with Steam for Linux.  Only a handful of indie type games.

AV1611
View Quote

can't window's PC games run on linux? with emulators or whatever.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:57:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I have ubuntu on my work computer.  I know little about it but can use it.  I mostly try to avoid it.  Don't know what the big fuss is.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:06:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have ubuntu on my work computer.  I know little about it but can use it.  I mostly try to avoid it.  Don't know what the big fuss is.
View Quote

what do you  use ubuntu for?
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:25:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I use Kubuntu (KDE version of Ubuntu) almost exclusively at home. It works well for me, but I have no interest in gaming. If you want to play games on your laptop, use Windows.

Linux is nifty, but a bit of a nuisance in many, many circumstances if you're just getting into it.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:36:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm no computer expert by any means, but I recently switched to Linux Mint 15 and I really like it. Of course, I'm not a gamer anymore so that aspect is irrelevant to me.

Microsoft can keep their virus riddled bloatware. I'll stop using a computer before I use MS products again.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:39:36 AM EDT
[#8]
No, not so much.

AV1611

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

AV1611

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:41:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I like Linux Mint Cinnamon.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:56:09 AM EDT
[#10]
There is a program called WINE that lets Linux run Windows programs - mostly games.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 4:47:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Bump
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Bump
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:50:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Been using Ubuntu full time at home for a year. Works great, has never crashed. All my hardware installed correctly, no fiddling around to get sound etc. working. Unlike the first time I tried Linux 10+ yrs ago.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Bought a $50 used laptop and installed Ubuntu.  This is about all I use now.  No problems with any accessories: camera, bluetooth, wifi, etc.  Everything just works.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AV1611

That way lies pain.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:00:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I have it on an older AMD Athlon 64 desktop.  Works better than windows but I can't say it never crashes.  I think I have a memory problem.  Haven't tried finding it yet.  The office suite is fine.  I've done some reports for work on it, sent it to my work computer opened it in Word and everything was fine.

I have a newer Samsung laptop with Windows 8.  I'm thinking about blowing it away and installing Linux on the laptop.  It's practically worthless now, locks up and slow.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:07:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a comp with Ubuntu.  It is very user friendly,but be aware their forums were hacked this week.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#18]
My netbook has Ubuntu on it, but only because it came with Windows 7 Starter, which is worthless. Ubuntu is fine, but I have had to spend an inordinate amount of time messing with it. It has not been bug-free.

I see no strong reason for using Linux unless you're cheap like me and wanted a free OS. Or you need another hobby.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:25:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm no computer expert by any means, but I recently switched to Linux Mint 15 and I really like it. Of course, I'm not a gamer anymore so that aspect is irrelevant to me.

Microsoft can keep their virus riddled bloatware. I'll stop using a computer before I use MS products again.
View Quote

Multiple counts of Win in this post.

Ubuntu is not so good, go with Mint (which is, ironically, based on Ubuntu).

The real power of Linux is at the command line, but it multitasks far better than Windwoes ever dreamed of - even in the GUI.

While there are numerous games for Linux (if that's what you're looking for) you won't find most of the slick commercial titles you are thinking about.

You can run Windows games in Linux, but it takes a fair bit of knowledge to get some of them running properly in WINE.

But the biggest advantage to Linux is you will no longer be beholden to a megacorp that has demonstrated nothing but contempt for the law over the years.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:27:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I've installed Ubuntu & mint and could never get my wifi to work. After several hours of troubleshooting each, just gave up and haven't turned the laptop on in over a month.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've installed Ubuntu & mint and could never get my wifi to work. After several hours of troubleshooting each, just gave up and haven't turned the laptop on in over a month.
View Quote

If your wifi isn't working, the adapter you have is likely the culprit.  Try another, they are cheap as can be these days.

I am using a 15 year old Lynksys wireless-G external via USB cord.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:52:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I use RHEL for my desktop every day at work.

It's...ok. There are some things that irritate me, mostly tools that I need that work fine for windows but are more work to use on Linux.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Check out Linux Mint.  I like it pretty well, and it's built on Ubuntu, so your programs may work.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:14:00 PM EDT
[#25]
i have run ubuntu and ultimate edition and both work great. cant go wrong with either. i will have to try mint next.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 3:36:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I run Ubuntu as guest OS on win 7 host using Virtualbox.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 1:57:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Im assuming after some googling, that Mint and Ubuntu are the most well known an widely used Linux OS's. Is Mint the closest to Windows out there?
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 2:03:21 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

AV1611

Most won't work and if they do they'll run like shit.

Link Posted: 7/28/2013 3:13:32 AM EDT
[#29]
I recently started running Ubuntu. I like it, but am still stuck with Windows in Virtual Box for Quickbooks. Also, I have not yet been able to get my scanner to work. Other than that, I like it. I tried long ago to use Red Hat and others, but my brain is so Windows fuxed that I couldn't even figure out to download and install a program. Now that I have something that I can actually use, I'll get it figured out eventually.

Link Posted: 7/28/2013 5:52:36 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm running Mint 14 (Nadia) on an older IBM T43. It previously had Win XP Pro installed, but all the software updates over the last year [both O/S, and add-ons such as Java and Flash] had made it slow and unstable.

EVERYTHING worked perfectly after a full install of Mint; didn't have to do a single tweak for wireless connections, printer drivers, alternate keyboard functions, or the like. The Linux installation is far faster, rock-solid stable, and a pleasure to use.

No more Microsoft bloatware for me.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 5:59:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Download Unetbootin, Install your preferred Linux distro onto a USB drive.  Run the Live version for a month, if you can go a month in Linux figuring out what works and what doesn't for you daily routine.  Ubuntu or Mint would be my recommendation.  Mint will include all popular media codecs, etc by default, where as Ubuntu does not.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 6:33:00 AM EDT
[#32]
I've been using linux since '97 or so, I currently use Red Hat Enterprise for servers at work and Debian Stable for my own stuff. there aer certain tools in Debian that I like so I run Win7 on my home PC (I'm a gamer) with Debian in a VirtualBox VM.

No really need to dual boot anymore when you can run VirtualBox for free (assuming you have the horse power)
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 6:45:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Zorin OS.

its based on ubuntu but with a windows like interface. I'm typing this on it right now. I suggest the Ultimate version which costs $13.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 6:47:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I recently started running Ubuntu. I like it, but am still stuck with Windows in Virtual Box for Quickbooks. Also, I have not yet been able to get my scanner to work. Other than that, I like it. I tried long ago to use Red Hat and others, but my brain is so Windows fuxed that I couldn't even figure out to download and install a program. Now that I have something that I can actually use, I'll get it figured out eventually.  
View Quote

try Crossover by code weavers. it lets you run win32 apps without a VM.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 6:50:00 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

That way lies pain.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

AV1611

That way lies pain.  

Truth.  Dosbox games still run slower than they did on a 386.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top