Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/23/2013 1:37:33 PM EDT
Really?

"Fighter pilots were once considered such glamorous gigs that Tom Cruise played one in the hit Hollywood movie, "Top Gun." But now, three decades later, the U.S. Air Force is experiencing such a dire shortage that it's guaranteeing a $225,000 signing bonus -- $25,000 a year for nine years."

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#1]
First I've heard of it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I would sign it, after adding : "no fucking drones/UAV's" to the contract
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#4]
What, no leather jacket?

In the 80's they offered $7,000 a year and a leather jacket. ( if IRC, it might have been more money, I did not take it)
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What, no leather jacket?

In the 80's they offered $7,000 a year and a leather jacket. ( if IRC, it might have been more money, I did not take it)
View Quote

Most people would PAY to fly a F-15
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:45:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe they should bring back enlisted pilots; I know many that would do that for regular pay.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:47:43 PM EDT
[#7]
brb off to join the air force as a pilot
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:49:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Analysts point to the wage disparity between the military pilots and those working in the private sector. As the Los Angeles Times reports, it takes 11 years of service for a fighter pilot to achieve an annual salary of $90,000. The median wage for airline pilots, copilots and flight engineers, however, stands at $114,200, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. The new signing bonus is aimed to level the playing field.
View Quote

That LA Times reporter is an idiot.

Add another $25,000 to the pilot pay for flight pay and  housing allowance. And subtract about $75,000 from the airline pay for  a few years depending on the company.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:51:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Navy bonus is less, must be better duty...
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What, no leather jacket?

In the beginning yes, after 16 years of AF bullshit, not so much.

The problem was in the 80's, they offered ths bonus to commit for another 7 years, the problem was that if you did not take it, it tubed your career. It was punitive. The choice was commit another 7 years or get out.

Guess what happened.

Guess what will happen again.

Eta. Take whatever you do now and would you sign a piece of paper saying you are legally committed to not leaving for another 9 years, and you are subject to endless deployments away from your kids, for up to a year each time.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Really?

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2013/07/23/air-force-fighter-pilots-signing-bonus/?test=latestnews&ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000058

"Fighter pilots were once considered such glamorous gigs that Tom Cruise played one in the hit Hollywood movie, "Top Gun." But now, three decades later, the U.S. Air Force is experiencing such a dire shortage that it's guaranteeing a $225,000 signing bonus -- $25,000 a year for nine years."

View Quote

Dupe
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Sign my ass up!
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The problem was in the 80's, they offered ths bonus to commit for another 7 years, the problem was that if you did not take it, it tubed your career. It was punitive. The choice was commit another 7 years or get out.

Guess what happened.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What, no leather jacket?

Guess what happened.

Yep, I get it.

Must be a tough choice to make anyway.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:57:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Guess what happened.

Eta. Take whatever you do now and would you sign a piece of paper saying you are legally committed to not leaving for another 9 years, and you are subject to endless deployments away from your kids, for up to a year each time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What, no leather jacket?

Guess what happened.

If only there was some type of officer that we could use, who could focus more on flying and less on bs.

Hmmm......
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:57:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yep, I get it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What, no leather jacket?

Guess what happened.

Yep, I get it.

I will add that the pilots that signed the commitment got the shitty assignments because they could not vote with their feet.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:58:20 PM EDT
[#16]
If I had the skill set, I would do that forever.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What, no leather jacket?

Oh, pilots are willing to fly for free.

The bonuses are for the crap they have to endure when on the ground.

ETA

Good friend used to fly A6s. He said when the cost on the ship outweighed the fun in the air, he got out.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I felt like that for 10 years too.

And then you realize you can't fly it forever, in fact you can't even fly it for a 20 year career.

Pilots get all kinds of non-flying jobs.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

And then you realize you can't fly it forever, in fact you can't even fly it for a 20 year career.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's important that every aviator be pressed into filling their staff squares even if they don't want to command.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's important that every aviator be pressed into filling their staff squares even if they don't want to command.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course.

And having been an IP at the RTU, the majority of guys that come off a 4 year staff back to the jet are worthless with a stick in their hands.

Staff is detrimental to having an effective fighter force.

Eta. But we both knw that if you don't want a command, the AF doesn't want you.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#21]
If they took guys my age, and waivered some previously nogo medical things, I'd consider doing it.

The signing bonus would pay off my med school student loans. It wouldn't cover the alimony if my wife found out I left medicine to follow my childhood dream.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd come back from retirement to fly drones/UAVs, especially if it was one of those fly it from CONUS gigs.  In a heartbeat.

ETA - I'd need a "no ascot" clause.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:20:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Where do I sign to pilot UAVs
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If they took guys my age, and waivered some previously nogo medical things, I'd consider doing it.

The signing bonus would pay off my med school student loans. It wouldn't cover the alimony if my wife found out I left medicine to follow my childhood dream.

View Quote

Join a guard unit.

Part time flight doc, sit in back seat and learn not to puke.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:22:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Drones?  In a HEARTBEAT!  Can I work from home?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:23:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'd come back from retirement to fly drones/UAVs, especially if it was one of those fly it from CONUS gigs.  In a heartbeat.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think about it, you could either retire recall or bring retirees back as contractors or GS to fill all the drone pilot requirements from the US freeing up all those aviators to deploy.

Maybe attach them to maneuver units as FACs.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Guess what happened.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What, no leather jacket?

Guess what happened.

This man speaks multiple truths.

<------ not a fighter pilot (or anything close ), but occasionally worked with them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I fucking tried to be a pilot, but noooooo.... now look at them.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:25:56 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd take the job WITHOUT the bonus.

If the AF would take me even though I'm short on a few qualifications they really want.

No four year degree.

48 years old.

Waiver me on these things and I'll report to flight training as soon as you've got a slot open.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:27:22 PM EDT
[#30]
If they let pilots actually fly planes instead of flying a desk, this wouldn't be happening.  You'd be surprised at how little an Air Force pilot actually flies.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If the AF would take me even though I'm short on a few qualifications they really want.

No four year degree.

48 years old.

Waiver me on these things and I'll report to flight training as soon as you've got a slot open.
View Quote

Dude, trust me, at 48, you will be dead of a heart attack pulling through 7 Gs on the way to 9.

Under G, typical blood pressure at heart level is 800/600 to achieve 90/50 at the brain to stay awake.

That is not a typo.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Why is the AF having this problem and not the other services is my only question?

here is the one service that literally revolves around the fighter pilot community, but they can't lead them or retain them without throwing gobs of money at them.

what gives?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:30:54 PM EDT
[#33]
$225k over 9 years isn't really a bonus
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:33:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're welcome!

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:35:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Why not set up the pilot system that the Army has? Warrant officers do the bulk of the flying, but commissioned officers go to flight school and get to fly for a few years so that they appreciate the need for maintenance and understand how to employ a company\battalion\brigade of aircraft, then BAM crush their spirits, stick them behind a desk and make them feel lucky to get enough hours to keep their flight pay.

The other option would be to set up a career track for aviation officers that doesn't require them to do all the shit work that every other military officer has to do. But that'd just make me more jealous of the AF than I already am, so fuck that.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:45:31 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Dude, trust me, at 48, you will be dead of a heart attack pulling through 7 Gs on the way to 9.

Under G, typical blood pressure at heart level is 800/600 to achieve 90/50 at the brain to stay awake.

That is not a typo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No four year degree.

48 years old.

That is not a typo.

I'm aware of that.   Multiply G by BP.

An interesting observation about pilots is that those who have naturally high G tolerance typically run

higher than "normal" average BP.

However,  it's not the heart that generates higher BP numbers during high G maneuvers,  it's the force

of gravity placing pressure on your body and all the fluids within it.   It's a hydraulic systems equation.

It IS more stressful on the heart at high Gs, but it's due to the additional force required to overcome intravenous

friction, in order to achieve blood flow.    Friction within the blood vessels is what the heart has to work to overcome

but I don't know what the difference in friction is between 1 and 7 G conditions.   I don't have those numbers.

My cardio conditioning is excellent,  BTW.    Good strong ticker,  tested and certified.

Hell, even with that presumed limitation I'd be perfectly happy to fly a tanker or cargo aircraft.  I just like to FLY, end of story.

CJ

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Can I get dropped in space while driving a 1958 Corvette?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:49:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Why is the AF having this problem and not the other services is my only question?

here is the one service that literally revolves around the fighter pilot community, but they can't lead them or retain them without throwing gobs of money at them.

what gives?
View Quote

IMO it is 2 things.

The personality that is drawn and probably required to function in the airborn battle environment and the culture of the AF.

The AF does NOT have combat effectiveness as a core everyday focus.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Give them 3 years, then they'll get pulled for ALO duty and be on an Army Fort so fast their head will spin.    - that or flying UAVs.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#40]
The G's I have pulled concocting some of my responses...
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Can I get dropped in space while driving a 1958 Corvette?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Really?

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2013/07/23/air-force-fighter-pilots-signing-bonus/?test=latestnews&ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000058

View Quote

Well yes, being a Navy Fighter pilot IS glamorous. Air Force Fighter pilot, not so much apparently.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Well yes, being a Navy Fighter pilot IS glamorous. Air Force Fighter pilot, not so much apparently.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?

They should just merger the AF back into the Army and be done with it.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really?

No kidding. Not sure why the USAF wanted to compete with the Navy anyway
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?

Let the AF have nuke missiles, space and satellite stuff, and the Army Air Corp the fighters and transports.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

No kidding. Not sure why the USAF wanted to compete with poorly imitate the Navy anyway
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really?

No kidding. Not sure why the USAF wanted to compete with poorly imitate the Navy anyway

Fixt. Naval aviation is best aviation.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:02:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

An interesting observation about pilots is that those who have naturally high G tolerance typically run

However,  it's not the heart that generates higher BP numbers during high G maneuvers,  it's the force
of gravity placing pressure on your body and all the fluids within it.   It's a hydraulic systems equation.

It IS more stressful on the heart at high Gs, but it's due to the additional force required to overcome intravenous
friction, in order to achieve blood flow.    Friction within the blood vessels is what the heart has to work to overcome
but I don't know what the difference in friction is between 1 and 7 G conditions.   I don't have those numbers.

My cardio conditioning is excellent,  BTW.    Good strong ticker,  tested and certified.

Hell, even with that presumed limitation I'd be perfectly happy to fly a tanker or cargo aircraft.  I just like to FLY, end of story.

CJ

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No four year degree.

48 years old.

That is not a typo.

CJ

Naturally high G tolerance does not come from higher blood pressure. It comes from fitness, muscle strength and G conditioning.. During the centrifuge training I could sit relaxed under sustained 5 G and have a normal breath and conversation. My blood pressure sitting at rest was 100/60

During high G, the force of G does not make the blood pressure 800/600 at heart level it is the straining maneuver and the heart that increases the blood pressure to 800/600. Without the straining maneuver, the blood pressure at heart level would be zero because all the blood would be in your feet. Ok a little bit of exaggeration there. Either way the blood pressure in your heart is 800/600 and the heart has to be able to handle it and still overcome the pressure and pump blood to the brain.
The AF doesn't like to talk about it but a good chunk of what is classified as GLOC is actually heart explosion, and that is in 20 and 30 year olds. Eta. In a population of extremely medically healthy people.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What, no leather jacket?

Some can even speak English!

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:05:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
brb off to join the air force as a pilot
View Quote
Whatever happened to Napoleon_Tannerite?  I halfway expect people around here would pay to see him Leave the Service.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Fixt. Naval aviation is best aviation.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top