Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:31:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Have only seen OC a couple times in ohio... when I lived in rural Arizona it was rare to see people NOT open carrying in some places...
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:34:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AZ did not become the land of gun freedom and growing gun culture by hiding our shit and ridiculing other gun owners.   We did it by carrying in the open. Talking about our guns in the open and ridiculing people who have a problem with guns.     You want constitutional carry and pretty much no gun laws other than only killing someone when necessary?   Quit being a pussy and carry your weapon out in the open and be the "good guy" with a gun.   Destroy the narrative of the left and win over the public perception.    Obviously hiding your shit isn't working out well and AZ strategy is working.   Shove your chess and checkers up your ass and use your right otherwise it will be taken away.
View Quote

This may be the real issue.  The more that responsible people open carry, the more common place it becomes.  In addition to likely preserving our gun rights, it may help reduce crime.

Assume that a thug goes to Walmart to get groceries and as a secondary objective case it to rob at a later date.  If he sees plenty of folks open carrying, he might decide that the place is not conducive to robbing because he stands a good chance of being shot.

Update:  SimonPhoto covers the same thoughts well on Page 2.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:38:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I agree with this overall and think it's well said with one exception.

I don't believe that CC is doing harm to the image of gun owners at all. They may be missing an opportunity to create the positive image described, but are not actually calling negative attention to gun owners either. Otherwise great points IMO.

I OC when in the woods hiking and camping and fishing and such. Like others, I just don't want people looking at me suspiciously or fearfully. But if you're the type of person comfortable with that it's your choice.

I don't see people doing it often. Do those that OC regularly prefer a retention holster of some sort? I would if wearing it openly in public. Just curious.

Cheers!

-JC
View Quote

I carry in an active retention holster if I'm going to OC. The more people  that OC, the less people will look and you'd probably be surprised at how little notice you'll get from OC'ing.

Victor, you have a way with words my friend.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top