Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/27/2012 1:54:14 PM EDT
I have a couple big tanks that I haven't touched since forever.  What are some fun and inherently dangerous things to do with the gas?

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:55:55 PM EDT
[#1]
A neutral mix filling a Hefty lawn bag will prompt some amazingly-hard-to-explain homeowner's insurance claims, and less-than-pleased LE response.

Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A neutral mix filling a Hefty lawn bag will prompt some amazingly-hard-to-explain homeowner's insurance claims, and less-than-pleased LE response.

Just sayin'.

So you just fill the bag and wait, and magic happens?  Are magnets involved?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:59:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Navy buddy said he used to fill an inner tube, drive out in the country and put a cigarette fuse on on it on the middle of the road

Said that the thunderous blast and donut crater in the asphalt was epic.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Turn the oxygen to full-rich (unlit) and flood ant beds with the gas mixture.  Stand back and toss matches at the hole until you see antronauts.  Don't do this close to your house...
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:59:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just sayin'.

Be aware of static electricity.....

Our neighbors (half a mile away) thought we had a natural gas explosion.  We had to explain that it was only our 4th of July festivities.

ETA- we hing it from a small tree andlit a stack of newspaper under it.  Of course we ran like hell too.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:00:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Youtube is full of "hold my beer and watch this" videos on this very subject.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just sayin'.

Don't do it with anything other than a roman candle, or thrown flare if you want to keep your digits.

You could cut/weld/braze stuff.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Use it as it was intended to be used
Get to work-cutting, grinding, brazing, soldering, forging, welding.
Make something useful, dammit!
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Turn the oxygen to full-rich (unlit) and flood ant beds with the gas mixture.  Stand back and toss matches at the hole until you see antronauts.  Don't do this close to your house...

Now that sounds interesting.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just sayin'.

Braided polyester yarn, soaked in diesel and allowed to dry, might make a great fuse. Not that I've ever tried that, mind you.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:02:25 PM EDT
[#11]
http://balloonsdirect.com/catalog/chloroprene-cloudbuster-weather-balloons

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now that sounds interesting.

That's how my uncle used to get rid of fire ants.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:02:59 PM EDT
[#13]
If you half fill the bag with Acetylene and go to fill it the rest of the way with air make sure the air compressor is unplugged.

When the air compressor tank pressure goes below the low limit the contacts close to start the compressor creating a spark.

This didn't end well for 2 of my good friends.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:10:06 PM EDT
[#14]
DON'T chain the bottles down very thoroughly and then shoot both of them through in one shot with a heavy,

fast moving rifle bullet.  

The chains might not hold.  

Seriously, this is the kind of stuff that causes people to end up dead.

Acetylox is a very dangerous thing.   It's not to be trifled with.

CJ
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Seriously, this is the kind of stuff that causes people to end up dead.

Acetylox is a very dangerous thing.   It's not to be trifled with.

CJ

Sort of like big red buttons that have a sign that says "Do not push"?

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, what you don't do is Bubba engineer somethign using the mixed fuels or the cylinders as some sort of tannerite target. This stuff has a pretty low tolerance for stupid.

Other than that, it's yours and I don't care too much.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:15:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Latex gloves or balloons are  a little safer than garbage bags.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Latex gloves or balloons are  a little safer than garbage bags.

I preferred ziplock baggies, much less chance for a static spark.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:23:27 PM EDT
[#19]
You put the filled 2 liter plastic pop bottle in a paper bag, light the bag and run like hell.  Bye-bye mailbox...
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:24:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just sayin'.

You just have to be patient.  Hold the bag and light up a smoke to relax.  It'll happen.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:24:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Many, many safer things out there to make loud noises with. I prefer using mine for gas ax work. The cutting head is a beautiful thing, and while you can weld with oxyacetylene, I much prefer a Tig for that.

That said, an anthill, some oxyacetylene, a 12v battery, long ass wires, and a 1/4 watt 25 ohm NON flameproof resistor can make interesting things happen
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just sayin'.

You just have to be patient.  Hold the bag and light up a smoke to relax.  It'll happen.

Inhale, blow out flames like Gene Simmons.  I'm sure it's safe.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#23]
The mixture is very important. If you dont hear a boom, you got it wrong. A match or sparkler will set it off.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#24]
cue up the pic of the white chevy truck with that had the cab explode when they were either loading or unloading the trash bag balloons and static showed up to the party

Acetylene is a mean old woman and not to be trifled with.

in welding class way back when such a thing existed after somebody blew up a coke bottle
the teacher toed the line of whooping somebodies ass over such a thing. he gave us all a 30 minute verbal chewing that the gunny himself would have been proud of
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:28:48 PM EDT
[#25]
-Fill a 1 gallon milk jug with a 1/2 and 1/2 mix air and acetylene.

-Get 100' of lamp cord size wire.

-Attach a smaller wire to act as a filament between the 2 conductors on one end.

-Put the end of the wire with the filament  in the jug thru a small hole in the cap.

-Attach jug to cement block and toss in pond.

-From a safe distance touch each conductor of other end of wire to car battery terminals.

profit

Depth charge
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A neutral mix filling a Hefty lawn bagwill prompt some amazingly-hard-to-explain homeowner's insurance claims, and less-than-pleased LE response.

Just sayin'.

Be aware of static electricity.....[/span]

This. I got hurt pretty good and lost some hearing holding two acetolyne/oxygen balloons. Lost story short, my nose and ears were bleeding, shirt burnt, bruised real bad.
My shop teacher in high school used to make balloon bombs and set them off to freak out the music teacher.
I now use condoms and keep them far away from me when showing this trick to people. Still makes me nervous, but you can't fix stupid.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:34:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Not recommended to make splodies with acetylene and oxygen.  Static sensitive and gas are bad combinations.

Now, if you have plastic milk jugs, fill them UNDERWATER in a bucket and cap while still underwater, a bit of water in there isn't an issue.

Now, to set it off?  Electric fuses.  Get model rocket ignitors and tape to the outside.  For a half gallon milk jug, 100 feet is as close as I would recommend.  Hang from trees etc, it will destroy a lawn.

Even better would be coke cans.  Smaller but even less static electricity issues.  Seal with Gorilla Tape, it works under water.  Pull the pop tab to make taping easier.  The ignitor will burn through it.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:42:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

We see what you're getting at...  here is a small scale test I saw on youtube that would ROCK with weather balloons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0PqmkKeNmc
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:46:25 PM EDT
[#29]
idiots on American Chopper would set them off all the time
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just sayin'.

Some idiots in Londonderry did just that with a trash bag. they lit it. The concustion was so great that all the windows on their house and nearby neighbors were destroyed.

Do you really want to be that stupid?

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:52:36 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

A neutral mix filling a Hefty lawn bag soda can

Wear eye protection, because it will blow into a brazillion shards.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:55:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Acquaintance of mine did this:

Took a 5 gallon steel bucket and poured a few inches of dish soap in the bottom, then stuck acetylene hose into the soap.

Filled the bucket with bubbles.

Used this bucket to replace the one that the painters at our plant threw their cigarette butts into.

Bucket was blown in half, nobody was hurt (amazingly), plant was shut down for the day.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Another guy did this:

Cased a woodchuck into a culvert.

Blocked off both ends.

Stuffed trash bag full of acetylene (no oxygen, probably) into one end, tamped with rocks.

Unblocked other end, lit fuse on bag.

Shot woodchuck out of culvert like a cannon.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Just sayin'.

Some idiots in Londonderry did just that with a trash bag. they lit it. The concustion was so great that all the windows on their house and nearby neighbors were destroyed.

Do you really want to be that stupid?

Stupid?  That's a damn fun weekend in my book.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:03:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Just sayin'.

If somebody did that I'd advise them to dip the bag in soapy water first. Inside & out. Static is a bitch.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Build a golf ball cannon
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:07:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Neutral mix in any container will detonate when shot with any supersonic bullet.

Oil containers to garbage bags.

The garbage bag is not one I care to see repeated.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#39]
don't build a potato gun out of PVC and use acetylene
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:20:00 PM EDT
[#40]
If you had a couple hundred feet of the small diameter clear oxygen hose from a hospital or some such, fill 65 gallon bag with oxy/acet, and use an electric ignitor.

Not real sure on safe distance, so post a vid of your experience and I'll update my instructions.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:15:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We see what you're getting at...  here is a small scale test I saw on youtube that would ROCK with weather balloons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0PqmkKeNmc

That would be AWESOME considering I live within 1 mile of an airport.  (And a Northrop Grumman drone facility)
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:17:36 PM EDT
[#42]
I used mine to cut up all my ass-salt rifles.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#43]
What is the legality of the balloon thing?  Does the BATF consider it manufacturing an explosive, or is it more like tannerite?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:23:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What is the legality of the balloon thing?  Does the BATF consider it manufacturing an explosive, or is it more like tannerite?

BAN ASSAULT BALLOONS!  IT'S FOR THE CHILDRENS!
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Once did up a 55 gallon water drum with a RC remote type ignition system (don't know how it worked) in the middle of a field a ways from the house.  learned that we weren't far enough away.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#46]
If you can get to Ohio there's a guy who can't get the lug nuts off his car.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:16:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just sayin'.

no...tie a rock to the bag, set it over some newspapers (or make a fuse) and set the paper on fire...and run like hell.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:47:20 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

If you can get to Ohio there's a guy who can't get the lug nuts off his car.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

BAN ASSAULT BALLOONS!  IT'S FOR THE CHILDRENS!

Don't get me wrong, I think it'd be stupid as hell for the BATF to think of it that way, but this is the BATF we're talking about.  I just don't want to tell a story and it be thought of as illegal.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:53:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top