User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:59:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe a small baloon, could NOT imagine a 55 gal. trash bag.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:00:13 PM EDT
[#3]
A friend of mine messed his ears up pretty bad after he filled up a ballon in his garage and static got it before he could get outside. My opinion is leave it alone.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't fill a balloon with acetylene and then light it with a lighter unless you want melted rubber all over your hand.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:15:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Another guy did this:

Cased a woodchuck into a culvert.

Blocked off both ends.

Stuffed trash bag full of acetylene (no oxygen, probably) into one end, tamped with rocks.

Unblocked other end, lit fuse on bag.

Shot woodchuck out of culvert like a cannon.

This one is the winner.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:15:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Since I no longer work there and the statute of limitation has probably ran out I can tell you a little tale of a 55 gal garbage bag...

Was working midnight shift at an UNNAMED Steel Mill.  I was working maintenance in the Arc Shop (where they take the scrap and melt it down using electricity and O2), think LOTS of sparks.

We had filled a 55 gal bag FULL, tied it off and set it under the furnace.  They had dumped a load of scrap in and started her up... we were about 100 feet away standing outside so we could watch the show.

We knew we were going to get a pretty good BOOM!!  However we had NO IDEA just how BIG of a boom we were going to get... Let me put it this way... at 100 feet away it knocked us down well Arc Shops are extremely dusty by nature and all that dust tends to build up on the beams in the ceilings... when our little "joke" went off it pretty much cleared all those beams off... you couldn't see 2' in front of you.  The mill completely shut down thinking they had broken something, so the next 4-5 hours the maintenance crew crawled all over that mill looking for the cause of the explosion.  We all took a vow of silence on the issue and just acted like it was a "normal" explosion... and yes, steel mills have random "normal" explosions...lol

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Since I no longer work there and the statute of limitation has probably ran out I can tell you a little tale of a 55 gal garbage bag...

Was working midnight shift at an UNNAMED Steel Mill.  I was working maintenance in the Arc Shop (where they take the scrap and melt it down using electricity and O2), think LOTS of sparks.

We had filled a 55 gal bag FULL, tied it off and set it under the furnace.  They had dumped a load of scrap in and started her up... we were about 100 feet away standing outside so we could watch the show.

We knew we were going to get a pretty good BOOM!!  However we had NO IDEA just how BIG of a boom we were going to get... Let me put it this way... at 100 feet away it knocked us down well Arc Shops are extremely dusty by nature and all that dust tends to build up on the beams in the ceilings... when our little "joke" went off it pretty much cleared all those beams off... you couldn't see 2' in front of you.  The mill completely shut down thinking they had broken something, so the next 4-5 hours the maintenance crew crawled all over that mill looking for the cause of the explosion.  We all took a vow of silence on the issue and just acted like it was a "normal" explosion... and yes, steel mills have random "normal" explosions...lol

Sorry, Wingnut. This is the new winner...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A neutral mix filling a Hefty lawn bag will prompt some amazingly-hard-to-explain homeowner's insurance claims, and less-than-pleased LE response.

Just sayin'.

Yes, and the static cling will detonate it while you carry it around!
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:23:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A neutral mix filling a Hefty lawn bag will prompt some amazingly-hard-to-explain homeowner's insurance claims, and less-than-pleased LE response.

Just sayin'.

So you just fill the bag and wait, and magic happens?  Are magnets involved?

Don't do it with anything other than a roman candle, or thrown flare if you want to keep your digits.

You could cut/weld/braze stuff.

I may or may not have used cannon fuse for setting off coke bottles full of it. Just drill a hole through the cap for the fuse and seal the fuse hole up with super glue so gas doesn't leak out and cause a painful experience while lighting the fuse.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What is the legality of the balloon thing?  Does the BATF consider it manufacturing an explosive, or is it more like tannerite?

Federally it is probably like tannerite but some states have laws so restrictive that kids dropping mentos into diet coke bottles and sealing it back up were charged with making a bomb.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:34:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Acetylene is produced by reacting calcium carbide with water.  Oxygen can be produced by reacting sodium peroxide with water.  Well, there is a catalyst required and you have to delay ignition because both are exothermic reactions.  

Much fun can be had when you don't need  to lug cylinders of these gases.  Just as fun as shooting Tannerite

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:55:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Roman candles and lawn & leaf bags = new years eve winning

Use tubing to fill bag.

1 set neutral flame
2 turn off acetelyne at tank
3 after flame dies out, turn acetelyne back on
4 slip tubing over torch head.

Extension cord with a single strand stuck into the end works great when you want performance on demand. Duct tape cord and single wire to outside of unfilled bag.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Which one of you guys are going to be in the running for the 2013 Darwin Awards
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:21:41 PM EDT
[#14]
When I was with a pile driving outfit we were working at a supermarket that was next to a swamp. We had driven a series of batter piles to add support to the straight piles along the outer edge of the proposed building. The piles happened to point out towards the swamp, and one pile happened to be perfect ( no protrusions or tears in the sides, dead smooth and straight with a good view of the plate on the end) about 70' ft deep. On Friday afternoon after everyone had gone home we were plowing through a few beers and got the bright idea that we could use this 10" pile as a barrel. Spun the safety cap off of an oxy cylinder, flipped it upside down and dropped it down the pile. Tink, tink, tinkle tinkle tink tink BANG SSSSSHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! That bottle came shooting out about 200 mph and shot a good 6-700 feet out over that swamp! It went way higb up and out over the swamp. I always heard about how far they will fly and how dangerous they are but never really believed it. HOLY SHIT was that scary!
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Which one of you guys are going to be in the running for the 2013 Darwin Awards

Probably me one day!

Real men use Cyclohexane...
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#16]
We did the same basic thing at Olsen Steel in Stratford, CT with a garbage bag full of oxy/acetylene. Fuckin LOUD!! The dust was pretty amazing
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is the legality of the balloon thing?  Does the BATF consider it manufacturing an explosive, or is it more like tannerite?

Federally it is probably like tannerite but some states have laws so restrictive that kids dropping mentos into diet coke bottles and sealing it back up were charged with making a bomb.

FFS
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I watched my brother in law blow out an eardrum with a freezer bag full.

He was in the barn filling it. I saw a flash and heard a loud bang. He came out bleeding.

Doc says eardrum is gone.

Let it go man...
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#19]
One of my college roommates said when he was in high school a bunch of them decided to fill up some Hefty bags with oxy/acetylene and head out to the country to blow them up (rednecks do dumb things, but we have a lot of fun).  They tied them in the back of a pickup and headed out of town.  One of the idiots in the cab was smoking and decided to throw the butt out the window.  It blew out all of the glass and bulged up the roof of the pickup.  I'm guessing there was a lot of hearing loss involved.

When I was a kid the neighbor's shop caught on fire, and when his tanks cooked off it was quite the explosion.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just sayin'.

So you just fill the bag and wait, and magic happens?  Are magnets involved?

Long fuses.  Or so I was told.  Never tried it myself.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#21]
My friends and I used to go camping and atv'ing at an abandoned iron mine.  On holiday weekend hundreds of people would show up.  There was one group that we called the pyros.  They would regularly fill garbage bags with helium, oxygen, and acetylene and attach a canon fuse.  At night you could see the glow from the fuse, then there would be a bright flash and the ground would shake.  They would also use a vacuum pump and suck the air out of truck tires and fill with oxygen/acetylene mixture and detonate.  

It was a sad day when the state shut down that area to atv's and public camping.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#22]
When I was in Jr. High, I was in the band room when a couple of guys lit a fuse to a balloon filled with Acetylene and Oxygen.  The band room was diagonally opposite the school which was one square block.  The bang/boom was loud enough to stop the "music" through closed doors.  

I learned what happened the next day at shop class.  It was made clear that under no circumstances was that stunt to be repeated.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 8:13:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Let it go man...

The way you say that makes it sound like a challenge...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top