Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/22/2012 9:16:02 AM EDT
So last night at my place of work, my coworker and I went to take down the flags as it got dark. I always follow the rule of putting up the US Flag first and taking it down last, and folding it last. I was folding the city flag and I look up to see him folding the US by himself, letting it drape the ground as he tries to do it alone. I told him to wait until we fold the other two and not to let it touch the ground. He just kind of looks at me and continues folding it alone. I folded the state flag rather quickly and proceeded to grab the other end of the US flag so that we could fold it properly. As we were folding it, I mentioned that the US flag is the first up and last to be folded, and that it needs to be respected because a lot of people have died for that flag.

Am I being an annoying stickler? I just feel that the flag needs to be given a certain amount of respect.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:18:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So last night at my place of work, my coworker and I went to take down the flags as it got dark. I always follow the rule of putting up the US Flag first and taking it down last, and folding it last. I was folding the city flag and I look up to see him folding the US by himself, letting it drape the ground as he tries to do it alone. I told him to wait until we fold the other two and not to let it touch the ground. He just kind of looks at me and continues folding it alone. I folded the state flag rather quickly and proceeded to grab the other end of the US flag so that we could fold it properly. As we were folding it, I mentioned that the US flag is the first up and last to be folded, and that it needs to be respected because a lot of people have died for that flag.

Am I being an annoying stickler? I just feel that the flag needs to be given a certain amount of respect.

You were too nice to him.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:24:04 AM EDT
[#2]
The funeral guy let my gramp's flag hit the deck and handed to me in a wad.

It almost came to blows. Had a Marine buddy help me fold it.

So the answer is no, you were being to nice.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:27:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Gee, I wonder how this thread will go...
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#4]
It sounds like you handled it right. What kind of workplace is it?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I always keep a copy of the flag code in my pocket
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:42:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Most people I know wouldn't even be able to tell you what each color of the flag represents, or what the stars represent. Much less have any sort of respect or know how to care for our flag.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Flag etiquette isn't a law or anything. At least not a criminal law but if a person isn't willing to follow the appropriate protocol, they shouldn't be flying or handling the flag.

You did not over react. It's not like you kicked him in the dick.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:50:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Most people I know wouldn't even be able to tell you what each color of the flag represents, or what the stars represent. Much less have any sort of respect or know how to care for our flag.

http://www.usflag.org/colors.html    
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it is sarcasm(or at least I hope so)
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I taught my son to stop and face the flag as it is being raised or lowered.
Hat off...no talking.

At our township concert series, the Flag is always front and center.

Before each show we asks all Vets present to stand, then the families of those serving, then the rest of the spectators stand.
Then the National Anthem is sung.

Misty eyes all around.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:55:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:56:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's a fire department.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a fire department.

You showed amazing restraint...good on you.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:03:07 AM EDT
[#15]
which flag is folded last might not be common knowledge.  so eh might have been a little bit of a dick about that.  Flag touches the ground?  You were too nice.  So I say it evens out mostly.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:13:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I would have lost it on him. You did the right thing.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:14:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Not over reacting at all.

I once walked back about 1/4 mile on a busy freeway to pick up a US flag out of the middle of a busy traffic lane. Looked to have been there for hours getting ran over by ever car in town. This was shortly after 9-11 when alot of folks were driving around with flags waving from their trucks etc and this one obviously came loose and fell into the road.

Ole' Glory deserved a much better resting place ... so I retrieved it and turned it in to the local VFW post a day or 2 later.

Those that don't get it never will. Your co-worker needs to tour a few 3rd world countries to see how well that flag protects him and how it deserves to be honored and respected.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:17:35 AM EDT
[#18]
You did the right thing.

Flag etiquette is not taught in most schools or at home. He might not care or might not know. Situations like that should always first be looked at as an opportunity.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#19]
You were really nice about it, good on ya for explaining it to him, hopefully he gets it next time.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a fire department.

Damn. In my department respect for the flag is instilled in the academy. I've heard Lt.'s screaming at the top of their lungs at probies that have left the flags out in the rain or after sunset.

Are you guys vollies or professional?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:05:00 AM EDT
[#21]
When I was a kid ( shit, I'm sounding old) the 4th thru 6th graders would raise the American as well as the state flag every morning and take it down after school.  The whole school was lined up standing at attention.  We would then say the pledge of allegiance and sing the national anthem.  The principal would end the ceremony with a short prayer.  Respect for the flag and what it stands for should be taught to all Americans at a young age.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:07:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Would have lost my shit.  I have been known to stop at random houses and offer to replace Flags that are no longer serviceable.  That  shit drives me nuts
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
When I was a kid ( shit, I'm sounding old) the 4th thru 6th graders would raise the American as well as the state flag every morning and take it down after school.  The whole school was lined up standing at attention.  We would then say the pledge of allegiance and sing the national anthem.  The principal would end the ceremony with a short prayer.  Respect for the flag and what it stands for should be taught to all Americans at a young age.

That reminds me. When I was in like 4th grade or something I had the job of raising and lowering the flag and being a kid one day I screwed up and accidentally raised it upside down. I didn't notice, of course, and my teachers didn't either but within just a few minutes a police officer noticed and came by to check on us. After he realized nothing was wrong, he gently explained to me what an upside down flag means and why it's very important to pay attention when I put the flag up.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:12:55 AM EDT
[#24]
op everything you said was perfectly appropriate. if he'd just looked at me when i told him to wait, it would have been an entirely different response.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for being a stickler!!! It seems old glory is all we have left.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You did the right thing.

Flag etiquette is not taught in most schools or at home. He might not care or might not know. Situations like that should always first be looked at as an opportunity.

It's part of the curriculum up here in Illinois.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#27]
I am also a sticker about it

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:27:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Sadly, some do not know. The first time is free- if you see it happen again you can be an asshole about it and not be in the wrong. Wish they taught respect for the symbol of our nation in school.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:31:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Respect for the symbol = respect for what the symbol represents.

Same for disrespect. Sometimes it's just ignorance, but sometimes it's clean cut disrespect.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:31:42 AM EDT
[#30]
That's how I was taught in the scouts. Never let it touch the ground and it's the first to go up, last to come down and you better fold it correctly......or you are going to be doing it again.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Maybe he was exercising his free speech. At least he didn't burn it
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You did the right thing.

Is that a local or statewide policy? I don't remember what they were doing when we were up there (middle of the state).
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a fire department.

you need a light on it so it never has to be taken down. the dept's around there that actually have a flag pole all have lights on them. the only time they come down is if a hurricane is coming or the light burns out. when the light burns out the flag is taken down every night and raised every morning. usually its only one day till we replace the bulbs so its not a problem.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You did the right thing.

Is that a local or statewide policy? I don't remember what they were doing when we were up there (middle of the state).

Couldn't say for certain, but the flag code was taught to me in multiple grades and I didn't graduate all that long ago.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:53:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Some people were never brought up with any respect for the flag.  You are unlikely to teach it to them now.

Teach your children well.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:56:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a fire department.

Damn. In my department respect for the flag is instilled in the academy. I've heard Lt.'s screaming at the top of their lungs at probies that have left the flags out in the rain or after sunset.

since when has that been an issue?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a fire department.

Sounds like you were in the right, and tried to approach it the right way.  

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:05:10 PM EDT
[#38]
sounds like you handled it properly.

education not anger.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:33:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a fire department.

Professional.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:34:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a fire department.

US Flag Code
(c) Inclement weather
The flag should not be displayed on days when the weather is inclement, except when an all weather flag is displayed.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a fire department.

Technically you're supposed to take down the flag in 'inclement weather' unless it's an all-weather flag.

ETA: Beat by 47 seconds.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#42]
You handled it well. He oughtta know if this is part of his duties. Now he does.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#43]
No you are not, need to educate.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:51:56 PM EDT
[#44]
It's just one more thing that is not taught in school anymore. It's an example of how our culture is being degraded over time.  Many, many people just don't have a clue. You done good. Try to teach those who don't know.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:06:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Any adult that doesn't know these things NEEDS to be educated at first opportunity by someone who does.

I have a boy in my Cub Scout den whose dad was killed in Afghanistan this year. You can bet anything that kid understands the reasons we respect the flag.

No excuse for an adult.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:18:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would have had a few choice words for him.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Sounds like a training issue.
Maybe he doesn't know,  if it is an important issue to you then explain to him why he should wait, instead of assuming he should know.
To him its just another task, it sounds like he just needs to get the flags up, and the flags down and put away.
Take the time and explain it to him, why you wanted him to wait.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:12:12 PM EDT
[#48]
If he didn't know better it's hard to blame him, as offensive as you may have found the situation. It's likely to take more education than the tongue lashing you gave him at the flagpole. Since this was part of a fire department operation it might be a good thing to include flag etiquette in your training. Fire departments y very out front with the flag, so this is kind of important as an organizational standard of conduct. I was a boy scout in the sixty's and my dad army officer and I grew up on Army posts , so I share your feelings.

I think you handled it well.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:18:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Overwhelming majority don't know or don't care.

Sad but true.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:22:34 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top