BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:23:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
That's how I was taught in the scouts. Never let it touch the ground and it's the first to go up, last to come down and you better fold it correctly......or you are going to be doing it again.

Same here, and dont mess with the flag unless you are going to give it the respect that is deserves. Dont like it leave.
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You did the right thing.

Flag etiquette is not taught in most schools or at home. He might not care or might not know. Situations like that should always first be looked at as an opportunity.

It's part of the curriculum up here in Illinois.

Is that a local or statewide policy? I don't remember what they were doing when we were up there (middle of the state).

Dude I went to a privet high school that never played the national anthem and only did the pledge once a week if they had time during the morning announcements. glad I was only there for two semesters
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:27:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Thanks for being a stickler!!! It seems old glory is all we have left.

And damn few of us seem to give a shit about it anymore.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:29:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So last night at my place of work, my coworker and I went to take down the flags as it got dark. I always follow the rule of putting up the US Flag first and taking it down last, and folding it last. I was folding the city flag and I look up to see him folding the US by himself, letting it drape the ground as he tries to do it alone. I told him to wait until we fold the other two and not to let it touch the ground. He just kind of looks at me and continues folding it alone. I folded the state flag rather quickly and proceeded to grab the other end of the US flag so that we could fold it properly. As we were folding it, I mentioned that the US flag is the first up and last to be folded, and that it needs to be respected because a lot of people have died for that flag.

Am I being an annoying stickler? I just feel that the flag needs to be given a certain amount of respect.

You were too nice to him.

FPNI
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Most people simply don't know. It's a matter of explaining the flag code to them. If he just don't give a flying fuck it's a different matter. Good on you for showing restraint from losing it on him.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't fathom getting that upset with someone who lets the flag hit the ground.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:40:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Of course on here most will say you should have bladed on him and all that. I don't get all bent out of shape about the flag like some do.

The one point I will make is this: this is at work. Not your house or a military base. You don't have the luxury of berating a coworker without repercussions. It does matter where it happens
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I would say approximately 50% of my Department knows/cares.  Lights on poles have became the norm. Time was the entire station would pull shifts holding a flash light on it should the flag not be taken down prior to dusk.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:12:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I always keep a copy of the flag code in my pocket protector

Fixed it for you  :)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:55:04 PM EDT
[#9]
What % of people care?

You think one in ten people know about this sort of thing or care? No way. One in twenty? I doubt it. So your talking about 5% of people tops who give a shit.

But good on ya anyway, I suppose.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top