Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:04:52 AM EDT
[#1]
don't you have to submit official paperwork of your discharge to get one of those license plates?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:05:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a neighbor who has told me stories of his military service, the guns and ammo he has, his wealth, his knowledge and he is completely full of shit. But it really doesn't matter because I don't need to trust him.

Liars lie. Talk to them enough and you can usually figure it out. If this fellow hasn't given any other reason to not believe him, doesn't thump his chest or play "look at me", he's probably legit. If he's a good neighbor, I wouldn't press it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:05:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am not trying to confront, or out the guy or anything. I don't care that much, but my gf does, especially after our house was burglarized last month
I just wanted to know if I could look up his name; not contact the fucking press or get into some showdown with him.

Man, you guys just jump right to the extreme with this stuff. It was a simple question.

Speed

Ask your GF what your neighbors service has to do with making sandwiches, laundry, or dishcleaning.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:09:31 AM EDT
[#4]
edited - i misread the OP and thought he had a DMV issued 'ranger' plate

brian
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:14:34 AM EDT
[#5]
a guy refuses to speak about his service or his time in Green Hell and would rather keep memories of death and dying to himself..

.and now he's a poser...

LOTS of folks won't talk about war experience, my Dad's best friend did..wrote down his time IIwo Jima in a nice letter
and left it to his kids on his 80th birthday..when he blew his brains all over the back yard..

Leave the guy alone.

some folks need hobbies..
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
HEY OP,

Why dont you go down to the DMV and try to get Ranger plates for your car, then get back to us as to whether you still think the guy is fake.

Or better yet....leave it alone!

Hey, why don't you read the thread and take note that my neighbor has a VANITY PLATE. It's not "issued" by anyone except the retailer that sold it

Speed

OK

Quoted:
I figured I shouldn't derail the current fake SEAL thread.
My next door neighbor has an Arny Ranger license plate. It has the years he was in during Vietnam and LRRP.
I thought a recon Ranger was pretty badass, so when I bought the place I asked him about it. He said he was a Ranger and was in Vietnam, but nothing else.

He's kinda weird, but always friendly...he actually stopped down my shop on Veteran's Day and asked to borrow $20 because he forgot the banks were closed.
I told him: how could you forget; you're a veteran He didn't think that was funny.

Anyway, after I explained to my GF that Rangers are pretty badass she thinks he's lying
Is there any way to look up Rangers?

Speed

Does it say VANITY PLATE? NO it does not. So be clear in what you write.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:17:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

brian

You didnt misread...he miswrote.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:17:51 AM EDT
[#8]
When I was a kid, I served till I was prolly about 12,, and was the most badass soldier, Air Force fighter pilot, infantry Marine and PT boat Captain that ever was.. Then I grew up.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:18:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

HEY OP,

Why dont you go down to the DMV and try to get Ranger plates for your car, then get back to us as to whether you still think the guy is fake.

Or better yet....leave it alone!

Hey, why don't you read the thread and take note that my neighbor has a VANITY PLATE. It's not "issued" by anyone except the retailer that sold it

Speed

OK

Quoted:

My next door neighbor has an Arny Ranger license plate. It has the years he was in during Vietnam and LRRP.

I thought a recon Ranger was pretty badass, so when I bought the place I asked him about it. He said he was a Ranger and was in Vietnam, but nothing else.

He's kinda weird, but always friendly...he actually stopped down my shop on Veteran's Day and asked to borrow $20 because he forgot the banks were closed.

I told him: how could you forget; you're a veteran He didn't think that was funny.

Anyway, after I explained to my GF that Rangers are pretty badass she thinks he's lying

Speed

Does it say VANITY PLATE? NO it does not. So be clear in what you write.

I was clear in the thread. Your concern was previously addressed.

Speed

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I just recently had a supposed Ranger want to kick my ass because I didn't accept his offer on some stuff I was trying to sell and told him I wasn't accepting offers. Long story short, he hasn't contacted me since I told him I travelled extensively for work, would be close to his AO soon while deer hunting and would be more than happy to discuss it in person if he wanted.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In the short description above... My gut tells me he is legit.

Staying tight-lipped and not telling some story about hunting Ho-Chi-Min leads me in that direction. Does every story start with "when I was a ranger"?

You could just ask him to see hid DD214 ... make up some excuse to see the older awards or something. Ask him if he was tabbed AND scrolled?

You could also, casually, mention Harmony Church... gauge his reaction...

No, he's never said anything about it other than when I asked him. I don't see his truck down at the VFW or Legion either.

He keeps to himself for the most part, but has offered to lend me tools and things before (I never asked, I have my own tools).

In talking about home security, he told me he has a couple rifles, but nothing about his service.

For those reasons I figured he was pretty legit, but my GF insists his license plate is a lie

I was just wondering if there was some database I could look up his name and years he served in...

Speed

My dad never said anything about his service other than he was there until very recently when I started reading some Vietnam books about his division around the time he was there. He never goes to the VFW, Legion and won't even stand up at Sea World when they ask vets to. He even gets pissed at me for calling him on Veteran's Day. I believe his feeling and from what I can get from other folks who served at that time, they don't want to talk about it. They seem to feel they don't deserve any recognition when so many didn't even make it back.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:25:34 AM EDT
[#12]
My prior comment still stands but to add to it: Leave the man alone OP, ask your GF if she served and if not why she is such an expert to question the honor of someone who did.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:26:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Speed

it's probably been said (didn't read whole thread) but there are plenty of Vietnam era Rangers that never served in Rgr Bat or went to Ranger school.  Lot's of them went to an "in-Country" school (about two weeks long) and served in LRP and LRRP companies over there.  Still considered Rangers just like the old UDT guys are considered SEALs.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't see anything to base suspicion on.

Same.

Based on the info given(very little), sounds legit.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:29:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

brian

You didnt misread...he miswrote.

Meh, most of the current military folks know what he is talking about.  Just a cheap vanity plate that goes on the front of a car.  They make them for everything.

I'm sorry the conversation was above your paygrade.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:29:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speed

it's probably been said (didn't read whole thread) but there are plenty of Vietnam era Rangers that never served in Rgr Bat or went to Ranger school.  Lot's of them went to an "in-Country" school (about two weeks long) and served in LRP and LRRP companies over there.  Still considered Rangers just like the old UDT guys are considered SEALs.

I may be incorrect here, but I believe that was called MACV Recondo School?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Why do people care so much about this shit.....if he isn't throwing it in your face constantly and using it to get free shit let it go...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:42:24 AM EDT
[#18]
tag for out come
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:10:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why does it bother you so much? Is he out panhandling? Scamming you?

I don't get all these "LET'S OUT THIS SUPPOSED IMPOSTOR!!!!" threads.

I was an Infantryman in the early 80's. I went to the 1/75th at Hunter Army Air Field. I went to Ranger school, got dropped from a road march due to being too sick after going through OSUT and airborne school through the winter/spring. I was sick as shit. You didn't get a second chance if you got dropped back then.

Got sent to the 101st after that and ETS'd from there. I'm proud of the fact I got a chance. Had of I been less sick, I'd have made that shit. Not many people even get that far who try.

Who fucking cares? I have a Ranger sticker on my truck along with my vet plate. I don't go to the legion or amvets clubs. Want to come give me shit?

I probably would

Early 80s it went like this:

OSUT
Jump School
RIP at HAAF (1st Bat). (My RIP class was 15-84)
Assigned to a company
Didn't go to Ranger School for another 6-18 months depending on your competency

You did not go straight to Ranger School after OSUT and Jump School.   Maybe you got dropped from RIP?

That's what I was going to ask.

That's probably what happened but a person dropped from RIP/RASP shouldn't be sporting a scroll.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:25:04 AM EDT
[#20]
I clicked expecting pictures of Marines.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Fuck it... Im a Ranger too, but just for today, and only while im logged in on arf :)
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am not trying to confront, or out the guy or anything. I don't care that much, but my gf does, especially after our house was burglarized last month
I just wanted to know if I could look up his name; not contact the fucking press or get into some showdown with him.

Man, you guys just jump right to the extreme with this stuff. It was a simple question.

Speed

What does that have to do with it?

I would do the  same.  He lives next door to me.  I wanna know who he is to some degree.  Based on a vanity plate, mehhhh.  Im a vet and had a few Ranger buddies.  So posers in any form are bottom feeders in my eyes.  If he wants to vet the guy next door why the fuck would you or anybody care?  He asked a question on a site he belongs to and has a large Vet following.  Man there are alot of whiney bitches on here
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:55:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I was an Infantryman in the early 80's. I went to the 1/75th at Hunter Army Air Field. I went to Ranger school, got dropped from a road march due to being too sick after going through OSUT and airborne school through the winter/spring. I was sick as shit. You didn't get a second chance if you got dropped back then.

Got sent to the 101st after that and ETS'd from there. I'm proud of the fact I got a chance. Had of I been less sick, I'd have made that shit. Not many people even get that far who try.

Who fucking cares? I have a Ranger sticker on my truck along with my vet plate. I don't go to the legion or amvets clubs. Want to come give me shit?

Sure, I will.

Were you actually assigned to the 75th or did you graduate Ranger School? If not then take that shit off.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#24]
I worked with a guy that was SF and just missed Vietnam, 1975. He served in Thailand for his enlistment.

One would never guess he was a "bad-ass", except for his field jacket his daughter wore to HS

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:05:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Just because he was or is a "high speed death machine" doesn't mean he is always going to act that way. I have a friend who is a SF Team Sgt. And you would never think he was SF by talking to him, or looking at him. They really are normal folks... with extreme mental and physical stamina, and many other respectable qualities.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Not everyone that grads from Ranger School becomes a "tabbed" Ranger. (I.E. serves in a regular Ranger Batt.)
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:28:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Not everyone that grads from Ranger School becomes a "tabbed" Ranger. (I.E. serves in a regular Ranger Batt.)

You got it backwards. Tab=Ranger school; Scroll=Ranger Batt.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speed

What does that have to do with it?

I would do the  same.  He lives next door to me.  I wanna know who he is to some degree.  Based on a vanity plate, mehhhh.  Im a vet and had a few Ranger buddies.  So posers in any form are bottom feeders in my eyes.  If he wants to vet the guy next door why the fuck would you or anybody care?  He asked a question on a site he belongs to and has a large Vet following.  Man there are alot of whiney bitches on here

There is no reason for the attitude, mister.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You're confused. All Ranger school grads are tabbed Rangers. People serving in the 75th are graduates of RIP/ROP (previous assessment) or RASP I/RASP II (current). Scrolls are worn by these guys as a unit/combat patch and if they've graduated the leadership school known as Ranger School then they will wear a tab also.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Staying tight-lipped and not telling some story about hunting Ho-Chi-Min leads me in that direction. Does every story start with "when I was a ranger"?

You could just ask him to see hid DD214 ... make up some excuse to see the older awards or something. Ask him if he was tabbed AND scrolled?

You know, my Father was in Vietnam and I looked at his DD214 and let me say that back then, they were not so great about putting much of anything on that VERY important document.  I looked at that yellowing piece of paper that he keeps in his gun safe and there wasn't much of anything on it.  However, his "I Love me" book has all of his awards, Unit Citations, Tabs, qualifications, and pictures.  When I showed him my DD214, he stated "HOLY SH!T".  And it's unfortunate that nowadays people see fit to impersonate Service Members just so they can get in on the "free stuff" that good people are willing to give those that served their country.  That is why I have to carry around a redacted DD214 (SS# blacked out) just to prove it along with my VA ID card.  Not to mention that in this economy, when I shift jobs every three months or so, employers want to have your DD214.  

You have to prove it to people?

Weird. I guess there are so many impersonators nowadays it's just insane enough that I guess you need to do that.

I thought that a couple years ago they started saving them all digitally and can be looked at through the "Virtual MPF" or whatever your branch calls it. If you need another one, I think you could pull a new one and get it to the employer.

If you did any time after you got off active duty (Reserve or Guard), it was a major pain in the ass to have and keep all your DD214's straight and safe. I printed out copies of all mine and stuck them in my safe, but don't carry any around on my person. I'd just about have a damn phone book in my pocket.

If someone wants to doubt my service, fuck them, I didn't get the job you need to have veteran's preference to get for nothing.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:32:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Tell your neighbor to join my unit:  Canteen Commandos.  Our motto:  First to Feed, First to Flee!  See us charge the chow line.  See us flee from danger!  We lead the way (to safety)!  

They'll have to catch us before they can shoot us for desertion.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:36:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Update:

My neighbor just stopped into my shop to pay me back the $20 he borrowed off me a little bit ago.

I started talking about guns to see if I could get any stories out of him...He talked about shooting empty beer cans in the ocean w/ 1911s in Vietnam.

He seemed to know more stuff about guns than I had previously thought; we had a good conversation. He had no war stories other than the classic:

"My M-16 in Vietnam had Mattel stamped on the side"

So, hell if I know

I like him either way...I'll just try chatting him up some more down the road and see if I can get some more info out of him to hopefully quell my gf's concerns about his character

Speed

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:15:26 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I probably would

OSUT

Jump School

Assigned to a company

You did not go straight to Ranger School after OSUT and Jump School.   Maybe you got dropped from RIP?

I didn't go into the whole timeline, frankly because I don't fucking care anymore. Just like I don't fucking care about what you  guys think. I could give a shit. It was about 5 months before I got sent to the school after I got to HAAF, if it really matters to you that much. I made RIP, but I ended up in the hospital for a couple of days due to severe bronchitis. It just never went away and when I run 30 some years later, I still get so congested I can barely catch my breath. They tell me it was from scarring of my lungs. But I did "live by the scroll" for a time. And I still ran my ass off everywhere. BTW, I made it to about day 40 or so, but I don't remember too much anymore. It was 30 years ago. I remember cold, always wet, sand and having to go over the bar after pullups going to chow, when we actually got to eat in the chow hall or eat at all.

But again, do you really care that much? Lose sleep at night over it do you? You should probably get another hobby.

Life is just too short to sweat the small stuff. You'll learn that as you get older.

Now, I'm going to take care of my sick dog. She has a really bad infection in her ears and she won't stop scratching them, making them more inflamed.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:40:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Why would anyone pretend to be a Ranger? Its only a 53 day school.....now Master Gunner...thats hard......
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:44:04 PM EDT
[#35]
I didn't serve, OP, and don't pretend to.

But, I have studied the LRRP's/Rangers during the Vietnam era a bit. I can't say for sure, but it seems things were very dynamic and in a constant state of flux. In several memoirs I have read, I don't think any two authors (LRRPS/Rangers) went through the same process and that it was heavily dependent on what time period and level of school they attended. Some went straight to the teams and learned 'on the job' while attending Recondo/Ranger/LRRP school as slot became available. Others served as LRRPs but never went to any school. Some units required at least one of the schools, others even made a habit of sending students as a sort of break later on in their tour! I have become very confused reading who gets tabs/scrolls during that period and for doing what. So, I don't know if a standard 'quiz' would be conclusive.

As for appearances, Dad had 20 years in the USMC, two in Vietnam, and retired a Mustang Captain. But he is very quiet about it, rarely speaks up and, as old age has set in, doesn't even look the part (the guy wears overalls and Walmart sneakers!). He gets lots of eye rolls when he tries to give advice to young guys leaving for USMCRD and gets to listen to a lot of BS from posers. If I wasn't his son I wouldn't believe it myself sometimes. He does have a 'retired veteran' license plate but he is adamant he only got it because he heard it might get him out of speeding tickets. And, you know, I believe it.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#36]
I would let the guy be.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:53:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Let him be

Free

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, he's never said anything about it other than when I asked him. I don't see his truck down at the VFW or Legion either.
He keeps to himself for the most part, but has offered to lend me tools and things before (I never asked, I have my own tools).
In talking about home security, he told me he has a couple rifles, but nothing about his service.

For those reasons I figured he was pretty legit, but my GF insists his license plate is a lie
I was just wondering if there was some database I could look up his name and years he served in...

Speed

Is he sporting a Ranger Tab license plate?  If so you could maybe ask one of the Rangers over at SOCNET or armyranger.com. They will need his class number though and that's only if you can find somebody who has access to the green cards.

There's not a public data base though. However, the Ranger School website does slow the class pictures.  Virtually impossible to pick out people in the crowd though.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:54:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Me either

I'm lazy though

Free

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

VFW and American Legion are clubs as much as anything else. If he doesn't care for the environment, or some of the people who go there, he won't go there. My father never had anything to do with either one.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#39]
There were a SHITLOAD of non-tabbed Rangers during Vietnam. A shitload. They were trained in-country and did the job.

Be very careful of accusing someone of the Viet era because there are quite a few of them that served as Rangers and got NO official recognition for it. It wouldn't even show up on their DD-214 in many cases.

At times a tabbed guy would show up and try tell these guys that HE was a REAL Ranger simply because he was tabbed. OUCH!!! There was sometimes animosity between guys that had gone through the school in the States and guys that served as Rangers with OJT in-country, especially if the tabbed guy was in a support role.

Tread very, very lightly here as you could be making a serious mistake and destroying a good man that has done something yet has nothing to prove what he has done.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#40]
This

If you change your mind the offer still stands

If the guy is a real Vietnam Vet it doesnt bother me if he wants to say he is a Ranger

They never got a parade, job well done etc when they came home from combat.

Like some have said might want to leave him be.

Free

Quoted:
75th Ranger Regiment Association Page

don't know if this will help you or not.  

Me, I'd leave the guy alone unless he started thumping his chest.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:09:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

OR - even better - tell him you have a co-worker or someone telling you they were a Ranger... and ask him for some suggestions to verify the claim.

Seems to me back then not everyone in the LRP units were ranger school grads.....hell I think it was disbanded after WWII or Korea wasn't it ? Anyways the guy isn't running his mouth like seems to be the MO for most fakes..........Most of the legit guys Ive know over the years don't throw it in your face, especially the ones who were in serious shit. Is his age right for the time he says he was in ? Id let a sleeping dog lie on this myself.......
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:12:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

Do I want to ask what your girlfriends experience is withg rangers that makes her such an expert ?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#43]
He could just be screwing with you

My Dad says crazy things at times, some serious some not.

Free

Quoted:
Update:

My neighbor just stopped into my shop to pay me back the $20 he borrowed off me a little bit ago.
I started talking about guns to see if I could get any stories out of him...He talked about shooting empty beer cans in the ocean w/ 1911s in Vietnam.
He seemed to know more stuff about guns than I had previously thought; we had a good conversation. He had no war stories other than the classic:

So, hell if I know
I like him either way...I'll just try chatting him up some more down the road and see if I can get some more info out of him to hopefully quell my gf's concerns about his character

Speed

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Seems to me back then not everyone in the LRP units were ranger school grads.....hell I think it was disbanded after WWII or Korea wasn't it ? Anyways the guy isn't running his mouth like seems to be the MO for most fakes..........Most of the legit guys Ive know over the years don't throw it in your face, especially the ones who were in serious shit. Is his age right for the time he says he was in ? Id let a sleeping dog lie on this myself.......[/quote]

Free,during Vietnam there were a number of OJT rangers.

This is one case where it very well may be the guy really was but has no proof whatsoever. Back then unless you were tabbed it likely never showed up on your DD-214.

Incidentally, wasn't you a little long in the tooth to go through the school?

I heard somewhere that you were called "Pops" and needed a cane to get through.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:18:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Been inside his house? probably has pics and memorabilia from his service. That should suffice.

Jim

From personal experience being in a known Ranger's house, I have never seen anything displayed in the main part of the house.

PAR

Ever been to Fort Benning?

Every Ranger there has a couple grand invested in memorabilia, clothing, bumper stickers and flags it seems.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Update:

So, hell if I know

Speed

That probably tells you more about him than anything you will get from this thread.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
<snip>

Tread very, very lightly here as you could be making a serious mistake and destroying a good man that has done something yet has nothing to prove what he has done.

This.....
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:23:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I probably would

OSUT
Jump School
Assigned to a company

I didn't go into the whole timeline, frankly because I don't fucking care anymore. Just like I don't fucking care about what you  guys think. I could give a shit. It was about 5 months before I got sent to the school after I got to HAAF, if it really matters to you that much. I made RIP, but I ended up in the hospital for a couple of days due to severe bronchitis. It just never went away and when I run 30 some years later, I still get so congested I can barely catch my breath. They tell me it was from scarring of my lungs. But I did "live by the scroll" for a time. And I still ran my ass off everywhere. BTW, I made it to about day 40 or so, but I don't remember too much anymore. It was 30 years ago. I remember cold, always wet, sand and having to go over the bar after pullups going to chow, when we actually got to eat in the chow hall or eat at all.

But again, do you really care that much? Lose sleep at night over it do you? You should probably get another hobby.

Life is just too short to sweat the small stuff. You'll learn that as you get older.

Now, I'm going to take care of my sick dog. She has a really bad infection in her ears and she won't stop scratching them, making them more inflamed.

Doesn't bother me a bit.  

I'm a Tabless Bitch myself.  Only things I have with the word Ranger on it is my Scroll.  If you're sporting a Tab anywhere, you're posing and should know better.

you originally put forth a false timeline.  I called you on it as I should since you asked for it.   Thanks for the clarification.

Hope your dog gets better.

Ranger Free, thank you Sir.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:23:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Its doesnt bother me either way.

He probably is a Vietnam LRRP/Ranger.

No sure about the Pops thing, I was Gramps(38yrs old)

I cannot confirm or deny I used my rifle as a walking stick at times

Free

Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems to me back then not everyone in the LRP units were ranger school grads.....hell I think it was disbanded after WWII or Korea wasn't it ? Anyways the guy isn't running his mouth like seems to be the MO for most fakes..........Most of the legit guys Ive know over the years don't throw it in your face, especially the ones who were in serious shit. Is his age right for the time he says he was in ? Id let a sleeping dog lie on this myself.......

Free,during Vietnam there were a number of OJT rangers.

This is one case where it very well may be the guy really was but has no proof whatsoever. Back then unless you were tabbed it likely never showed up on your DD-214.

Incidentally, wasn't you a little long in the tooth to go through the school?

I heard somewhere that you were called "Pops" and needed a cane to get through.

[/quote]

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Me, I'd leave the guy alone unless he started thumping his chest.

+1 but the years he's claiming are suspect to me.  LRRP/LRP units were heavily fielded from '65 through '71 I'm sure but beyond 1972, I become a tad suspicious, what with the US troop draw-downs and Vietnamization.  Hell the 5th Group was officially out of Vietnam in March of 1971.  I'd just ask him what LRRP/LRP unit he was assigned to and go and research where that unit was stationed and the dates they were there before I started calling him a fake.
Quoted:

it's
probably been said (didn't read whole thread) but there are plenty of
Vietnam era Rangers that never served in Rgr Bat or went to Ranger
school.  Lot's of them went to an "in-Country" school (about two weeks
long) and served in LRP and LRRP companies over there.  Still considered
Rangers just like the old UDT guys are considered SEALs.

+1.  Hell, I've talked to guys who were straight leg infantry who volunteered for an in-country transfer to 5th Group.  They attended an abbreviated Jump School down at Camp Long Thanh, were then sent up to Nha Trang and received orders to an out-lying A-camp.  Once there, they were given a crash-course in SF field craft and learned as much of an MOS as they could for about six weeks, then went BACK to Group HQ and received their new assignments after a small battery of ad hoc tests.  Some of these guys jumped through all those hoops to finally be assigned to the Special Projects like Delta or MACV-SOG.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top