BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:32:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:46:22 PM EDT
[#2]
What was 'official' and what actually happened are entirely two different entities.....esp in that era....
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Me, I'd leave the guy alone unless he started thumping his chest.

+1 but the years he's claiming are suspect to me.  LRRP/LRP units were heavily fielded from '65 through '71 I'm sure but beyond 1972, I become a tad suspicious, what with the US troop draw-downs and Vietnamization.  Hell the 5th Group was officially out of Vietnam in March of 1971.  I'd just ask him what LRRP/LRP unit he was assigned to and go and research where that unit was stationed and the dates they were there before I started calling him a fake.

Quoted:

it's probably been said (didn't read whole thread) but there are plenty of Vietnam era Rangers that never served in Rgr Bat or went to Ranger school.  Lot's of them went to an "in-Country" school (about two weeks long) and served in LRP and LRRP companies over there.  Still considered Rangers just like the old UDT guys are considered SEALs.

+1.  Hell, I've talked to guys who were straight leg infantry who volunteered for an in-country transfer to 5th Group.  They attended an abbreviated Jump School down at Camp Long Thanh, were then sent up to Nha Trang and received orders to an out-lying A-camp.  Once there, they were given a crash-course in SF field craft and learned as much of an MOS as they could for about six weeks, then went BACK to Group HQ and received their new assignments after a small battery of ad hoc tests.  Some of these guys jumped through all those hoops to finally be assigned to the Special Projects like Delta or MACV-SOG.

That's dope as fuck.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#4]
In my opinion who gives a damn, what are you gunna do if he is a fake? Gunna out him to the community? Toilet paper his house? Steal his vanity plate?

Just let the old timer be, he aint hurting nobody as long as he aint trying to scam free shit. There is no reason to start a witch hunt, just leave the old guy alone.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#5]
My FIL served in ''Nam, two tours in 68' ad 69'. I knew him for 10 years before he ever mentioned his service. I asked my MIL about it and gave me a bunch of papers from their safe. He earned two Purple Hearts, a Silver Star and many other awards. He never mentioned this, not one word. There are no pictures from thecwar in his house. I'd leave your neighbor alone let him live his life.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#6]

I have read a lot on Viet Nam and that time period.

A lot of training and assessment was done 'in country' by various units and commands.

So he may nor have been through DA Ranger School but still could very well have served as in a LRRP-type unit doing typical Ranger missions like ambushes, recons, etc.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#7]
This is just sad
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:48:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#9]
You know, a lot of those guys have some shitty memories from that place and don't want to necessarily talk about it. Some might have that plate as a simple reminder of a combination of shitty and good times, or as a nod to others in service.

MYOB.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#10]
No problem, truth be told I failed Ranger school in 1995
I came back and my wife was gone and my son was with my parents

I got kicked out of F co 51st INF LRS and went back to the 82nd ABN

Later got married again and 11 yrs later I went back and got my Tab

You don't have to thank me I was just fortunate to be with the Rangers even for a little while.

Free

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why does it bother you so much? Is he out panhandling? Scamming you?

I don't get all these "LET'S OUT THIS SUPPOSED IMPOSTOR!!!!" threads.

I was an Infantryman in the early 80's. I went to the 1/75th at Hunter Army Air Field. I went to Ranger school, got dropped from a road march due to being too sick after going through OSUT and airborne school through the winter/spring. I was sick as shit. You didn't get a second chance if you got dropped back then.

Got sent to the 101st after that and ETS'd from there. I'm proud of the fact I got a chance. Had of I been less sick, I'd have made that shit. Not many people even get that far who try.

Who fucking cares? I have a Ranger sticker on my truck along with my vet plate. I don't go to the legion or amvets clubs. Want to come give me shit?

I probably would

Early 80s it went like this:

OSUT
Jump School
RIP at HAAF (1st Bat). (My RIP class was 15-84)
Assigned to a company
Didn't go to Ranger School for another 6-18 months depending on your competency

You did not go straight to Ranger School after OSUT and Jump School.   Maybe you got dropped from RIP?

That's what I was going to ask.
I didn't go into the whole timeline, frankly because I don't fucking care anymore. Just like I don't fucking care about what you  guys think. I could give a shit. It was about 5 months before I got sent to the school after I got to HAAF, if it really matters to you that much. I made RIP, but I ended up in the hospital for a couple of days due to severe bronchitis. It just never went away and when I run 30 some years later, I still get so congested I can barely catch my breath. They tell me it was from scarring of my lungs. But I did "live by the scroll" for a time. And I still ran my ass off everywhere. BTW, I made it to about day 40 or so, but I don't remember too much anymore. It was 30 years ago. I remember cold, always wet, sand and having to go over the bar after pullups going to chow, when we actually got to eat in the chow hall or eat at all.

But again, do you really care that much? Lose sleep at night over it do you? You should probably get another hobby.

Life is just too short to sweat the small stuff. You'll learn that as you get older.

Now, I'm going to take care of my sick dog. She has a really bad infection in her ears and she won't stop scratching them, making them more inflamed.

Doesn't bother me a bit.  

I'm a Tabless Bitch myself.  Only things I have with the word Ranger on it is my Scroll.  If you're sporting a Tab anywhere, you're posing and should know better.

you originally put forth a false timeline.  I called you on it as I should since you asked for it.   Thanks for the clarification.

Hope your dog gets better.

Ranger Free, thank you Sir.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:41:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No problem, truth be told I failed Ranger school in 1995
I came back and my wife was gone and my son was with my parents

I got kicked out of F co 51st INF LRS and went back to the 82nd ABN

Later got married again and 11 yrs later I went back and got my Tab

You don't have to thank me I was just fortunate to be with the Rangers even for a little while.

Free

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why does it bother you so much? Is he out panhandling? Scamming you?

I don't get all these "LET'S OUT THIS SUPPOSED IMPOSTOR!!!!" threads.

I was an Infantryman in the early 80's. I went to the 1/75th at Hunter Army Air Field. I went to Ranger school, got dropped from a road march due to being too sick after going through OSUT and airborne school through the winter/spring. I was sick as shit. You didn't get a second chance if you got dropped back then.

Got sent to the 101st after that and ETS'd from there. I'm proud of the fact I got a chance. Had of I been less sick, I'd have made that shit. Not many people even get that far who try.

Who fucking cares? I have a Ranger sticker on my truck along with my vet plate. I don't go to the legion or amvets clubs. Want to come give me shit?

I probably would

Early 80s it went like this:

OSUT
Jump School
RIP at HAAF (1st Bat). (My RIP class was 15-84)
Assigned to a company
Didn't go to Ranger School for another 6-18 months depending on your competency

You did not go straight to Ranger School after OSUT and Jump School.   Maybe you got dropped from RIP?

That's what I was going to ask.
I didn't go into the whole timeline, frankly because I don't fucking care anymore. Just like I don't fucking care about what you  guys think. I could give a shit. It was about 5 months before I got sent to the school after I got to HAAF, if it really matters to you that much. I made RIP, but I ended up in the hospital for a couple of days due to severe bronchitis. It just never went away and when I run 30 some years later, I still get so congested I can barely catch my breath. They tell me it was from scarring of my lungs. But I did "live by the scroll" for a time. And I still ran my ass off everywhere. BTW, I made it to about day 40 or so, but I don't remember too much anymore. It was 30 years ago. I remember cold, always wet, sand and having to go over the bar after pullups going to chow, when we actually got to eat in the chow hall or eat at all.

But again, do you really care that much? Lose sleep at night over it do you? You should probably get another hobby.

Life is just too short to sweat the small stuff. You'll learn that as you get older.

Now, I'm going to take care of my sick dog. She has a really bad infection in her ears and she won't stop scratching them, making them more inflamed.

Doesn't bother me a bit.  

I'm a Tabless Bitch myself.  Only things I have with the word Ranger on it is my Scroll.  If you're sporting a Tab anywhere, you're posing and should know better.

you originally put forth a false timeline.  I called you on it as I should since you asked for it.   Thanks for the clarification.

Hope your dog gets better.

Ranger Free, thank you Sir.

Damn Straight...Thank you Sir!

YOU Kids fail to understand how Nam Vets were treated in the 60's and 70's.
Scat thrown in your face, paint poured on you, spit on, bar fights just for serving, pushed, shoved and made
ashamed you served your country EITHER by Choice or DRAFT..

It was a VERY unpopluar war and the Nam Vet was treated by the Press, Hollywood and Collage professors as traitorous baby eating serial rapist joy killer who wanted to bathe in the blood of innocents.
Many have refused to mention their service for a very long time, some still today refuse to talk about it.

So, leave the poor bastard alone,,it's the ones that incessently talk about it you may question, the bragadosious. but then again, that talk, that brag, the 1/2 truth told
may be all that's keeping them from putting one in the brain pan. Nam was hell, Nam sucked the life from many a young man and women, some
have bought it home to ruined marriages, ruined child/parent relations, poor job retention, bad dreams and or used booze, drugs or sex to mask the filth, the stink, the pain and the fear
that Green, Wet, Hot Hell left on your soul.

May GOD Bless all our troops, past, present and future.
I thank them all and salute them all, cook, mechanic, nurse, janitor, typist, shooter or truck driver GRUNT, LEG, FlyBoy, Leather Neck,
SeaBee, Squid, Costie or Beanie wearing bastards...
.. Thank you and God bless

CHEF
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:46:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I've had the pleasure to know numerous Vietnam Rangers.  To a man they are very tight lipped about their experiences, even among other Rangers.  Tight lipped meaning they rarely, if ever talk about their service.

If you are going to speak about Rangers, at least educate yourself on the difference between the 75th Ranger Regiment and a TRADOC school (Ranger School).  If you meet someone who says he is or was a Ranger, the difference between who served in Regiment and who didn't will be night and day.  The guy thumping his chest will be the dude who only went to Ranger School and never served in Regiment.

RLTW!

A-co 2/75 91-93
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Me, I'd leave the guy alone unless he started thumping his chest.

+1 but the years he's claiming are suspect to me.  LRRP/LRP units were heavily fielded from '65 through '71 I'm sure but beyond 1972, I become a tad suspicious, what with the US troop draw-downs and Vietnamization.  Hell the 5th Group was officially out of Vietnam in March of 1971.  I'd just ask him what LRRP/LRP unit he was assigned to and go and research where that unit was stationed and the dates they were there before I started calling him a fake.

Quoted:

it's probably been said (didn't read whole thread) but there are plenty of Vietnam era Rangers that never served in Rgr Bat or went to Ranger school.  Lot's of them went to an "in-Country" school (about two weeks long) and served in LRP and LRRP companies over there.  Still considered Rangers just like the old UDT guys are considered SEALs.

+1.  Hell, I've talked to guys who were straight leg infantry who volunteered for an in-country transfer to 5th Group.  They attended an abbreviated Jump School down at Camp Long Thanh, were then sent up to Nha Trang and received orders to an out-lying A-camp.  Once there, they were given a crash-course in SF field craft and learned as much of an MOS as they could for about six weeks, then went BACK to Group HQ and received their new assignments after a small battery of ad hoc tests.  Some of these guys jumped through all those hoops to finally be assigned to the Special Projects like Delta or MACV-SOG.

When I went to RSLC (new name for LRSLC), they said that Vietnam era "in country" LRRP course's final "FTX" was an actual LRRP mission. I assume it was similar for other courses.

I would accept a two week "in country course as being a "Ranger" over some stateside, lets shoot at each other with blanks course.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top