BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/18/2012 6:08:26 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:11:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not 100% sure the Orcas weren't playing around. Seems they had ample chance to catch either the man or the dog if they were intent on having a land based snack.

Konger
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:18:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Waiting for the "I thought they were just playing" Chomp.....Chomp..
Maybe the same faimly that was at the Philly Zoo....
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:26:15 AM EDT
[#3]
What kind of a douche bag lets hit dog go in the water with two killer wales. These goddam kids think nature is all fluffy and "green"; right up the minute they have their leg bitten off at the knee.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:30:01 AM EDT
[#4]
They're called killer whales for a reason. There's one that killed at least two of its trainers.  Guess it didn't want to be trained.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:31:26 AM EDT
[#5]
They were playing.  Orcas can hit 30 MPH or a bit more for a short time.  If they wanted to have the fur and snorkel special,

it was theirs for the picking.

As of yet, there is STILL not a documented case of an Orca intentionally attacking a human being with intent to harm.

Incidents have happened but it's always been a matter of Orcas playing with humans and not being aware of the limitations

of humans.   The assume we're tougher than we are.

If Orcas have eaten people, they've done it where there were no witnesses.

CJ
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:32:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

They're called killer whales for a reason. There's one that killed at least two of its trainers.  Guess it didn't want to be trained.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:41:14 AM EDT
[#7]
They were probably just curious. Not only are they fast and smart, they can and will beach themselves to get food. There is amazing footage of orcas beaching themselves to get seals. If it wanted that dog, that dog would have been done in one bite. That said I wouldn't have let my dog stay out there.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:44:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They were playing.  Orcas can hit 30 MPH or a bit more for a short time.  If they wanted to have the fur and snorkel special,
it was theirs for the picking.

As of yet, there is STILL not a documented case of an Orca intentionally attacking a human being with intent to harm.

Incidents have happened but it's always been a matter of Orcas playing with humans and not being aware of the limitations
of humans.   The assume we're tougher than we are.

If Orcas have eaten people, they've done it where there were no witnesses.

CJ

Not only a political expert, but a marine biologist to boot.

Impressive.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:50:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, I'll pass on the swimming with anything that's name starts with killer and weighs as much as a semi.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:35:44 AM EDT
[#10]
they do eat sea lions, walruses, other smaller whales even... That dog would readily be considered food while in the water.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:40:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They were probably just curious. Not only are they fast and smart, they can and will beach themselves to get food. There is amazing footage of orcas beaching themselves to get seals. If it wanted that dog, that dog would have been done in one bite. That said I wouldn't have let my dog stay out there.

"Let"? Have you ever owned a Lab before? Yeah...you "letting" it do anything

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:45:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

they do eat sea lions, walruses, other smaller whales even... That dog would readily be considered food while in the water.

The very fact that the doggie wasn't lunch, tells me that the whale was just curious.  I don't think it was "playing", or there would have been more physical interaction with the dog.  Just my (completely uninformed) opinion.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:47:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yeah, I'll pass on the swimming with anything that's name starts with killer and weighs as much as a semi.

Me too.  

I try not to think about the big toothy stuff that swims around me in the ocean when I go for a dip.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:51:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

lol

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:52:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Let"? Have you ever owned a Lab before? Yeah...you "letting" it do anything

I wouldn't have stood there like an asshole filming the KWs.  I would have grabbed that dog by his collar and sprinted for high ground.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:54:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I would shit my pants if I saw that whale following me!!
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:01:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Man is at the top of the food chain on land, but in the ocean he is bait.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:03:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

How does one establish the culpable mental state of an Orcinus Orca?
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:03:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm right with ya there buddy... That and big kats.. Nope.. Will not go near them!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:04:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Heh, typical dog reaction. "Oh hell no, I'm gonna swim back out there and bark at you some more!"

Reminds me of a video I saw where some dudes were shark fishing. They got one on the line so the dog promptly jumped out of the boat, grabbed it, than swam it to shore.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:05:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm not 100% sure the Orcas weren't playing around. Seems they had ample chance to catch either the man or the dog if they were intent on having a land based snack.

Konger

kinda what I was thinking too. There are very curious, like most whales. Seems to be that they could have easier eaten both if they wanted too. hell they get their entire bodies out of the water on beaches to get seals, why not a dog?

J-
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:11:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Orca is smart and probably trying to figure out if it wanted to eat them. Now a Great White would see the diver in a wetsuit as a fat juicy sea lion and munch away.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Konger
So true. I have seen them actually come up on land to grab something they wanted.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:46:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chewing and swallowing.   Or biting hard enough to sever limbs.

This has not ever been documented.  

Prove otherwise.

CJ

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:52:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:57:40 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Except different populations of orca tend to eat different things, so perhaps these aren't seal killers.

While anything is possible, and I sure as shit wouldn't want me or my dog in the water with them, but I'd bet that orcas that had never seen a seal before would be unlikely to eat it right out of the gate.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:01:03 AM EDT
[#27]

holy friggin smart.

J-
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:10:40 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

holy friggin smart.

J-
Much smarter than your typical "i gots my obamaphone" voter.  And Orcas don't go looking for .gov handouts.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:18:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Thats right, they were named killer whales because of all the people and dogs they've eaten.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#31]

"ohfuckohfuckohfuckohfuck" - that seal
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:39:06 AM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:41:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Only certain pods of Orcas will eat mammals at all, and they general stick to seals.

Of course if I had something with that many sharp pointy teeth "playing" with me while I was diving I would be worried too.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 11:22:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

holy friggin smart.

J-
Much smarter than your typical "i gots my obamaphone" voter.  And Orcas don't go looking for .gov handouts.

the formica covering my desk is much smarter than the typical obama phone voter lmao.

J-
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Still pretty scary shit, more so since I own a dog that looks just like that black lab.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#37]
No freaking way I'd let my dog in the water.   Although, it's tough to keep water dogs out of the water when they want  to be in there.  My golden went into the ocean and dragged out a big ass fish.  I have no clue how he caught it, but damn was he proud of himself once he got it to shore.   When we released the fish, my dog swam way out in the water looking for it.   I mean way out there.  Far enough that it made me really nervous.  

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
No freaking way I'd let my dog in the water.   Although, it's tough to keep water dogs out of the water when they want  to be in there.  My golden went into the ocean and dragged out a big ass fish.  I have no clue how he caught it, but damn was he proud of himself once he got it to shore.   When we released the fish, my dog swam way out in the water looking for it.   I mean way out there.  Far enough that it made me really nervous.  

He caught it, you should have let him eat it!
My dog looooves whole fish.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:52:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Chewing and swallowing.   Or biting hard enough to sever limbs.

This has not ever been documented.  

Prove otherwise.

CJ

I feel smarter now. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:34:09 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Man is at the top of the food chain as long as he has weapons on land, but in the ocean he is bait.
FIFY

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:44:29 AM EDT
[#41]
In among the memorabilia my stepdad had from his days as a cook on a fishing boat up in Alaska, there's a sequence of shots taken with an old Kodak camera. Starts off with polar bear and two cubs out swimming in the middle of nowhere, no land in sight. Shortly after, they spotted a pod of killer whales who come up on the scene, and there's this scene of chaos and confusion in the water. Next picture shows a killer whale with a polar bear clamped on it's back near the blowhole, and the bear is steadily gnawing on the whale, claws dug in to the sides. The whale spends the next fifteen minutes in a panic-stricken attempt to get the bear off its back, sounding and diving like a maniac. Doesn't work––The rest of the pod circles, looking on like they're laughing. Eventually, the whale just runs out of energy, and floats at the surface of the water, bleeding from some rather massive wounds. The bear lets go, and continues swimming off into the distance, after collecting her cubs. The whale feebly swam off with its pod, bleeding profusely.

There was a set of about fifteen-twenty shots that he had, which I remember being shown as a kid. Never could find the damn things after he died, but whenever someone brings up polar bears or killer whales, I remember them...
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, we were watching him swim back and forth in the surf like he was after something, then the next thing we knew, he drug this fish to shore.  I have no clue what kind of fish it was, but damn was he proud of it.  He just stood there barking until we all came to see what he had.  Other than being a little beat up, the fish was perfectly healty, so we put it back.  Sadly, we lost the dog about 4 years ago  He did cool shit like this his entire life.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Black drum... And a nice on at that... They get to 100lbs and older than shit too...
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Who wants to be the first documented case ,,,,,,,hey they do taste like chicken.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:04:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, we were watching him swim back and forth in the surf like he was after something, then the next thing we knew, he drug this fish to shore.  I have no clue what kind of fish it was, but damn was he proud of it.  He just stood there barking until we all came to see what he had.  Other than being a little beat up, the fish was perfectly healty, so we put it back.  Sadly, we lost the dog about 4 years ago  He did cool shit like this his entire life.

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n477/mackattack2005/Sterlingsfish.jpg

What a great dog - beautiful, too.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:18:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Orcas can take out a GW shark without much trouble.

Imagine if that were a JRT. JRT jumps on the back of Orca. Now comes SHTF!

(Remember USS Alabama? JRT takes over submarine? We were lucky with that one!)
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Orcas are intelligent, curious and inquisitive. They were just having fun.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:28:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Please note that the Lab was smart enough to get the fuck out of the water and bark at the orca from the beach.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:36:14 PM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:40:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Konger

Orcas are known to play with their food. Their kind of the assholes of the ocean. They will pretty much take on anything and win.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top