Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What takes more effort:
1, writing a one page cover letter
or
2, filling out next week's unemployment papaerwork

Your choice.  If your choice is #1, don't forget the spell and grammer check.

Of course these aren't really the only two options.  Another option would be to find and apply to 5 more jobs in the time it takes you to write a job specific cover letter.  They're a great idea, they can truly work...but they're also time consuming to create.  In a job market where it seems like every HR person has their quirky own little rules that may or may not get your resume tossed out anyway you have to make the call if its worth it.  Last time I was on the job hunt I did cover letters, I think the next time I go looking I'll try initially without and see what happens.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#2]
A cover letter lets the employer know you are serious about the position and not just shotgunning resumes at them and every open position on the market. In theory....

It also shows your ability to communicate well in writing.

Quoted:
Here's what I've gotten a kick out of is the ever changing requirements of cover letters and resumes.  It's akin to fashion.  If you didn't get the memo, you're fucked.  What worked last year, is now a hiring no-no.

Is there some secrete resume society that changes things every other month?

Guess HR doesn't want to look at the same thing forever
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:28:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I work in the IT industry so YMMV, but in my experience cover letters are not welcomed or even allowed in some cases.  Many larger companies have their own online application process and don't ask for anything but a resume if even that.  None of the recruiters I have talked to had any interest in a cover letter, they wanted a resume and that was it, if they liked it they set up an interview, if not your resume got thrown in the trash and you move on.  

Someone may be able to write a fancy cover letter but if their skills or experience aren't what is needed then it's a waste of time for recruiters and HR people who have to scan hundreds or thousands of resumes a day.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#4]
A candidate sent in a resume with a novelty currency and his picture superimposed where the president's would go. That got him an interview and the nickname "big money" after he was hired. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:33:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A candidate sent in a resume with a novelty currency and his picture superimposed where the president's would go. That got him an interview and the nickname "big money" after he was hired. YMMV

I always wanted to try something ballsy like that, but never had the stones.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:34:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What takes more effort:
or

Of course these aren't really the only two options.  Another option would be to find and apply to 5 more jobs in the time it takes you to write a job specific cover letter.  They're a great idea, they can truly work...but they're also time consuming to create.  In a job market where it seems like every HR person has their quirky own little rules that may or may not get your resume tossed out anyway you have to make the call if its worth it.  Last time I was on the job hunt I did cover letters, I think the next time I go looking I'll try initially without and see what happens.

If it takes you that long to write a cover letter, you need more practice :-)
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've taken close to an hour before, but that went to a federal judge.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:36:26 PM EDT
[#8]
What about those basic templates that come with MS Word?  Are those just crap that makes you look too lazy or a decent format to follow?  I've done plenty of resumes and I think I have that figured out pretty well. Its just the cover letters that still baffle me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:38:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I know a guy who owned a software company down in Alabama.

He showed me a resume that at the top had "Antonio "The real gigga n!#@a".

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:39:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A guy I worked with up until about a month ago (Russian dude, SQL DBA) used to regularly go on interviews, where he had NO intention of getting the job. He considered it practice, or harmless fun. It was a fun game. It was sort of a hobby for him. He was brutally honest in every single one, and never uttered a syllable of bullshit. His thought was, that if anybody was crazy enough to hire him after the antics he pulled, he'd be crazy enough to take them up on the offer. He had a great gig with us, BTW.

Well, that day happened about a month ago. Much to his surprise (and he was shocked), he got an offer. He's making more money now, has much better benefits, and has never been happier.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#11]
If an HR rep is that anal then imagine the paperwork BS you'll be bury in if you get the job
and work for them.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've taken close to an hour before, but that went to a federal judge.

I'm mostly kidding.  Giving the quick-n-dirty sales pitch specific to the company you're talking to is generally pretty easy though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#13]
In the academic world an application without a cover letter would never get an interview ....
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What takes more effort:
or

If your cover letter is that generic that you crank it out in a couple minutes, it likely isn't worth bothering with.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:45:54 PM EDT
[#15]
In some industries the placement agencies or consulting firms
throw away your cover letter and then use their own.

Heck, at times they completely reformat your resume too.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would say it depends on tne type of impression you are trying to leave them with... Not really sure that there is a down side to having one accompany your resume though...

There isn't a down side....which is kind of the point.

At worst, a cover letter wont make a difference, at best, it'll get more attention than it would have otherwise.

In any competitive arena, any advantage you can give yourself is a good idea. Sounds simple, doesn't it?

I look at it differently. If I'm glossed over for something as dumb as a cover letter (and I'm sure this has happened), they're doing me a favor. Their actions are symptoms of a deeper problem, that I probably wouldn't realize until I had worked for them for a few months.  

The difference is that you work in a very technical field, where ones qualifications are more a laundry list of skills and certs.

In other fields, a cover letter is SOP....and is expected. I'm not saying I like it, just saying how it is.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:45:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Absolutely necessary.

I did a longer stint of unemployment and didn't start getting interviews until I started including a cover letter. I had a very good skill set with  great experience.

You should also craft a resume to each individual job you apply for. I never did and honestly I believe that also led to my extended vacation.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:47:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:47:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would say it depends on tne type of impression you are trying to leave them with... Not really sure that there is a down side to having one accompany your resume though...

There isn't a down side....which is kind of the point.

At worst, a cover letter wont make a difference, at best, it'll get more attention than it would have otherwise.

In any competitive arena, any advantage you can give yourself is a good idea. Sounds simple, doesn't it?

I look at it differently. If I'm glossed over for something as dumb as a cover letter (and I'm sure this has happened), they're doing me a favor. Their actions are symptoms of a deeper problem, that I probably wouldn't realize until I had worked for them for a few months.  

The difference is that you work in a very technical field, where ones qualifications are more a laundry list of skills and certs.

In other fields, a cover letter is SOP....and is expected. I'm not saying I like it, just saying how it is.

This is why I think it's important for respondents to note their industry. It probably matters.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 3:13:24 PM EDT
[#20]
My employer has you input your resume as an electronic form, and all resumes get screened through a computer that looks for every single keyword before a person ever sees it.  There's no way to put a cover letter in.  

What's really sad, though, is that HR knows the system is shit (and have admitted as much to us), but yet nobody in upper management or HR does anything about it even though we have dozens of positions that have been unfilled for months since nobody can get through the black magic of the screening computer.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 3:15:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Nope - IT/Networking.

I read a couple hundred resumes a year ... I don't even look at the cover letters as they go in the trash.

I only care about your talent, skills, abilities, certifications, education, and experience - and don't look back further than about 5-8 years.

Correct answer and as it should be.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

If you don't think there is a downside to writing a cover letter, let me proofread yours.

I'll leave the downside all over the paper in red ink. Fuck up your spelling and grammar on the cover letter and I won't even get to your resume.

Luckily I married a journalism major who proofreads like a an English teacher with dyspepsia. It makes my correspondence much better than it would be on my own.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Over the past couple of months, I've looked at a lot of resumes. I never once read any cover letters that were included.

Cover letters are a joke.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don't bother, personally. My resume speaks for itself. If my experience isn't screaming "hire me", I probably don't want to work for you anyway.  

Maybe it's industry-specific.

This.

AKASL

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 3:27:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I think people saying they're mandatory or optional, need to state their industry. It probably matters.

<–– IT (Cisco voice, specifically). Superfluous.

<––––Commercial Landscaping - Superfluous

<––––What I want to be doing? - Perfluous.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 3:31:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A friend of mine who is a recruiter shared this story from a friend:

The friend, after dropping off a resume, got the name of the HR manager and sent her a basketball with the phrase "The ball is in your court" along with his name and particulars. The HR manager was impressed and invited for an interview and he got the job.

I don't know if I have the stones to do that yet. Give me a few more weeks and I will try it, or something like it, for a job I really want.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 3:55:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Just wrote one a few days ago.  This is an email cover letter.  Friend got hired there and they are looking for more machinists.  Decided to use a cover letter to put a finer point on my resume. did a lot of research , not sure  if I did it right or not.

Dear Mr. X,
Mike xxxxx  advised me that you are looking for more skilled machinists for your growing company.  
I have worked with Mike for 8 years, closely for the last year and a half, so I value his recommendation that  xxxxxxx and I might be a good employment fit.

I have been at  Bullshit incorporated  eight years, supervisor/lead for five years. I am also a certified ISO 9000 auditor.  
With my attention to detail, I set up a Continuous Improvement Program that is used shop wide. I have nearly 50 documented improvements.

Please find enclosed my resume.  Feel free to call me anytime at  xxx-xxx-xxxx to arrange a time on when we can meet.
Thank you for your consideration, I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
joeil

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 4:04:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I know a guy who owned a software company down in Alabama.

He showed me a resume that at the top had "Antonio "The real gigga n!#@a".

I've seen that kind of WTF on in-coming resumes, and I always feel a little bad for the person.  It's obvious no one ever sat them down and explained how life worked.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I have done hiring before.

If a resume comes in without a cover letter I tend to not take a serious look at that resume.

(AKA if you don't care enough to write one you are not serious about the job).

That's my belief too. Maybe they just don't have enough time to write one....being unemployed and all. Or maybe they just don't want to differentiate themselves from all the other applicants that have exactly the same skill set and same level of experience.

That cover letter should sell me on at least talking with you....over all the other people applying for the job. So many people don't send cover letters with their CV that when I get one with a cover letter, I feel like at least they made the effort.

If you really want a job....make the effort to tailor a cover letter. It will qualify you as somebody that must actually want the job because you made the effort.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have done hiring before.

If a resume comes in without a cover letter I tend to not take a serious look at that resume.

(AKA if you don't care enough to write one you are not serious about the job).

That's my belief too. Maybe they just don't have enough time to write one....being unemployed and all. Or maybe they just don't want to differentiate themselves from all the other applicants that have exactly the same skill set and same level of experience.

That cover letter should sell me on at least talking with you....over all the other people applying for the job. So many people don't send cover letters with their CV that when I get one with a cover letter, I feel like at least they made the effort.

If you really want a job....make the effort to tailor a cover letter. It will qualify you as somebody that must actually want the job because you made the effort.

What industry are you in, and in what exact positions have you had a deciding factor in hiring?

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 4:24:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I think people saying they're mandatory or optional, need to state their industry. It probably matters.

<–– IT (Cisco voice, specifically). Superfluous.

<––-Construction industry. Currently government, previously middle/upper management for private firms.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 4:25:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I don't bother, personally. My resume speaks for itself. If my experience isn't screaming "hire me", I probably don't want to work for you anyway.  

Cover letter is the only opportunity to explain a big career move if one has not bypassed or otherwise penetrated the HR, by the book, bureaucracy.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 4:28:59 PM EDT
[#33]
I always write one detailing how hard life has been being black, one-legged, and female.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 4:32:44 PM EDT
[#34]
If you're being submitted for a particular position by someone you know or through a headhunter, it's probably not necessary, since everybody involved knows what job you're going for.  If you're submitting in response to a job listing, you need one so they know why you sent them your resume, the person receiving it may be receiving thousands of resumes for a number of positions and not have the first clue about any of those positions (I work in IT, I've frequently had to educate so-called IT recruiters on common terms in the industry, the places that do keyword searches are even worse, my resume mentions Oracle because I manage servers that run Oracle databases and there can be particular configuration requirements that are VERY specific to Oracle, especially RAC and ASM, so I get a LOT of inquiries from headhunters about Oracle DBA positions, today I got one offering "free" Oracle training and a "guaranteed" job).

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#35]
At my current job I've interview well over a hundred software developers and read many times that many resumes, and I can remember only one cover letter that helped.  Usually the cover letters hurt since they proved the person didn't pay attention to the job description, and it was an additional opportunity for them to make spelling or grammar errors.  If you're not going to put the effort into writing a good letter, it's probably best to just not do it.z
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 4:38:43 PM EDT
[#36]
A cover letter tells a potential Employer that the applicant took the time to do a bit of research on the company they are applying for, and that they aren't just turning resumes out by the gross.

I have read a ton of resumes.  And while a cover letter was not a make or break deal, and certainly was not a deciding factor, it was nice to know they'd done their homework.

Generally I was interviewing for entry level IT helpdesk type work - and had simply put the word out that we were looking for potential hires, and if anyone knew anyone interested, to send me a resume.

If/when using a recruiter, I didn't expect to see one.

In short - if the company comes to you then a CV isn't necessary.  If on the other hand you are going to the company, it certainly can't hurt.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 5:01:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I think it depends on the industry, but I think they are very important.  

I use my resume to highlight my experience and certifications.  Basically, the technical details.  I use the cover letter to highlight the unique and creative ways I have helped prior employers and to allude to how I can help the prospective employer.  

I once sat down to an informal interview, where the interviewer had both my cover letter and resume out on his desk, and he had marked all over both, with things that impressed him, and things he wanted more detail on.  It gave him an opportunity to know me better as an applicant, and provided a good starting place for the interview.  During the interview, he continued to make notes on the cover letter.  

In another interview, my cover letter was used similarly, the interviewer knew that any resume on his desk belonged to an applicant that was technically qualified.  And he had stacks of resumes on his desk.  So the cover letter was used to separate the applicants and find the right people to interview.  

I have had some success making a basic cover letter, formatted to match my resume, and I change certain things based on who I am applying with.  I screen the cover letter with various people, including people who have worked with me previously, someone who works where I am looking to work (when available), and someone who has a mastery of the english language in it's written form.  I never make a change without having someone else proof read it.  

It's worked for me.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 5:04:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Ironically i received a call tonight from a potential employer in a field I am not experienced in who said "normally a resume like yours wouldn't make it far with me, however, your cover letter showed enthusiasm and just interested me, can you interview this week?"  
It may not help to have a cover letter but it can't hurt...
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 5:06:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I guess I should just write one and be done with it.  Any good resources or advice on writing one?

Ask gene5, then do the exact opposite of that.  

Everybody in the bar just saw me spit my drink over my table.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 5:19:11 PM EDT
[#40]
I am glad I don't have to deal with this cover letter, resume BS that most of the people in this thread have to deal with.

I'm an Ironworker. There is plenty of work when nobody wants your job.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:26:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Depends on the job.  Blue collar job, may not need the cover letter.  Management job, absolutely necessary.

And, if a blue collar guy sends in a cover letter, he immediately goes ahead of those who don't.  Even someone who may have a slightly better resume will get edged by the cover letter.

Plus, if you don't know the difference between there/they're/their, I won't hire you no matter how qualified you are.

TC

Or blue collar cover letter guy gets thrown out as being "overqualified"

Quoted:
I always write one detailing how hard life has been being black, one-legged, and female.

And lesbian.

But all joking aside. It's funny that I saw this thread, as I am currently typing up a cover letter.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:30:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
where I work know required a cover letter, so I guess my answer is it depends.

See, and this guy apparently got hired.  Like I said, they're stupid.

No offense, guy.

Nun taken chief

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:35:32 PM EDT
[#43]
For selecting candidates to interview, I'll read the cover letter if it's there but pretty much ignore it unless it's awful.
It won't get you the job but it sure can keep you from getting it.

I submit them with my resume and avoid using adjectives.

Hiring programmers can really suck if you rely on cover letters and resumes.
Most of the best programmers I've hired have had awful resumes or cover letters or both.
This still does not excuse awful resumes or cover letters.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
A cover letter lets the employer know you are serious about the position and not just shotgunning resumes at them and every open position on the market. In theory....

Quoted:
Here's what I've gotten a kick out of is the ever changing requirements of cover letters and resumes.  It's akin to fashion.  If you didn't get the memo, you're fucked.  What worked last year, is now a hiring no-no.

I'm a senior manager in the legal field.  In my profession, if you don't include a coverletter, as far as I am concerned, you are not serious about the application.  Also, it does serve as a test as to whether you can advocate a position (why I should hire you) in writing.  Either you write well, or know good writing when you see it (i.e., had help with your coverletter).  Either way, it tells me something.

Not calling out Subnet from the posts above, but I think he said something like "industry specific."  Try his approach in the legal profession, or for management positions and you are going to be eating government cheese for a very long time.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 4:43:12 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's what I've gotten a kick out of is the ever changing requirements of cover letters and resumes. It's akin to fashion. If you didn't get the memo, you're fucked. What worked last year, is now a hiring no-no.

I'm a senior manager in the legal field. In my profession, if you don't include a coverletter, as far as I am concerned, you are not serious about the application. Also, it does serve as a test as to whether you can advocate a position (why I should hire you) in writing. Either you write well, or know good writing when you see it (i.e., had help with your coverletter). Either way, it tells me something.

Not calling out Subnet from the posts above, but I think he said something like "industry specific." Try his approach in the legal profession, or for management positions and you are going to be eating government cheese for a very long time.

This. ^^^

Lots of guys here who apparently are not in positions/fields where one is necessary. I'm not one of those guys, as said before, it's SOP in my arena.

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 4:44:45 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Well, i'm assuming that any resume starting with your CCIE# will open doors on its own.

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 4:47:22 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I've been told that HR reps use the cover letter to determine if they should even bother reading a resume.  Its like a resume for my resume, WTF.  I have never used one in my 14 years of professional life.  However, I would like to get out of my hell hole of a company, and would like to know if along with updating my resume, I also need to BS a fancy cover letter too.  Thanks!

Will it hurt to write a cover letter, it's not to difficult plus if your resume is full of "techno" speak (say from the IT industry) most HR folks have no freaking clue, why not introduce yourself in the cover letter.  If you need help, I write resume's and cover lever for people all the time and I work in the IT industry for close to 20 years.  

It's all base upon the HR rep you get, some will and some won't.  I've worked with some hiring managers that look at the watermark on the bond paper you use.  It's a crap shoot why limit yourself.

I've spent most of those 20 doing IT on Wall Street.  I've done a fair amount of interviewing and hiring and see it all.  Why get your resume dumped into a pool where it can stand out.  Feel free to drop me an IM.

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 4:50:03 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont understand the cover letter either. Whats the point of doing one and a resume and then filling out an application that asks the same stuff?? Its like filling out an application in triplicate.

In every job I've had in the last...10 years or so, the application was a formality. I filled it out after the handshake and "You're hired" line. Name, SSN, DOB, Address...stuff like that.  
Same here, with an offer letter in hand spelling out the details, the application was filled out to hand into HR for my file after orientation for new employees.

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 4:51:21 AM EDT
[#49]
The answer is: YES!  You should, it allows you to expand upon things in your resume while keeping the resume itself neat and concise.  This also allows you explain your intentions and goals and how those skills can help you to be the best candidate for the position.  Its like a pre-interview of sorts.  Also if you're out of work and applying at 50 different places you can keep it generic, but if there are certain companies that really stand out to you then you should really put some effort in and both research the company to point out why they appeal to you and also why working for them would be such a big deal to you.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 4:51:28 AM EDT
[#50]
I do a lot of resume review for our office. My line of work involves a LOT of correspondence: emailing, writing, public speaking, etc. so the cover letter is the first (and usually only) time we hear an applicant's "voice". If they can't put together a few coherent paragraphs to tell us why they'd be a good fit then we move on to someone who can.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top