BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 4:55:21 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Nope - IT/Networking.

I read a couple hundred resumes a year ... I don't even look at the cover letters as they go in the trash.

I only care about your talent, skills, abilities, certifications, education, and experience - and don't look back further than about 5-8 years.

Pretty much this.  And if you're still listing Windows 95 and NetBEUI on your resume, it's pretty hard to take you seriously.

ETA:  Oh, and if you list Cisco CCNA under training but not certifications, I know you were too lazy to study for / take the test after you or someone else paid decent money for you to take the class.

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 5:40:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope - IT/Networking.

I read a couple hundred resumes a year ... I don't even look at the cover letters as they go in the trash.

I only care about your talent, skills, abilities, certifications, education, and experience - and don't look back further than about 5-8 years.

Pretty much this.  And if you're still listing Windows 95 and NetBEUI on your resume, it's pretty hard to take you seriously.

ETA:  Oh, and if you list Cisco CCNA under training but not certifications, I know you were too lazy to study for / take the test after you or someone else paid decent money for you to take the class.

Not always, I've known companies that will pay for the class but not the exam as they feel they are training you to perform your job.  Earning a certification is not part of the deal nor will they give you the time off to take the exam / lab prep.

As you know you have the written and then the lab from Cisco.  Both takes time and you need a prep lab to do the studying.  Those cost money that some companies just won't pay for.

ETA - depending on which exam, you can't just drop in on a global knowledge / etc. testing facilities for the exam.  You might be going to Cisco to test in their lab which companies won't foot the bill for the T&E plus exam.

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 5:59:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope - IT/Networking.

Not always, I've known companies that will pay for the class but not the exam as they feel they are training you to perform your job.  Earning a certification is not part of the deal nor will they give you the time off to take the exam / lab prep.

As you know you have the written and then the lab from Cisco.  Both takes time and you need a prep lab to do the studying.  Those cost money that some companies just won't pay for.

ETA - depending on which exam, you can't just drop in on a global knowledge / etc. testing facilities for the exam.  You might be going to Cisco to test in their lab which companies won't foot the bill for the T&E plus exam.

Agreed for CCIE, but is there a lab for CCNA now?

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 6:24:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I've not gotten either of my two jobs because of my resume (I've only been in my professional field a year and in the industry for 3) Both times I got interviews because of directly working with people in hiring positions or with large influence to those with hiring Authority. The first time it was because I was still doing my crap job from college and worked with the plant manager for a good 3 weeks doing Picture framing for his facility and we got to talking. Second job was similar, impressed the VP I did work for another company, was given a card and an interview. Boom new job (Quality Engineer) In this industry you need both Certificates and the ability to articulate your position (or companies positon) with regard to national regulatory or International Statutory standards.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top