Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/6/2012 5:57:54 AM EDT

I thought it was interesting. Wish you could see the sights.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:05:44 AM EDT
[#1]
People keep posting about this and it just makes me wonder about all the legal nuances involved with this.

The ATF has ruled that you can't keep spare suppressor parts around and that even a spare baffle is a suppressor in the eyes of the ATF.

Keeping that in mind, and knowing that the end-user can't change baffles out in their suppressor legally, I wonder about this.
A - If you want to change the oil in your car and you are in possession of the registered adapter, it would appear that you're now in violation of the law because you have a separate baffle aka big no-no.
B - They're likely trying to sell this as a modular can, but the only way these things can be swapped out is if you send the registered adapter to them and request that they change out the oil filter for you.  

Nice idea, but our stupid regs shit all over it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:12:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:14:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Oldie but goodie.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:17:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
People keep posting about this and it just makes me wonder about all the legal nuances involved with this.

The ATF has ruled that you can't keep spare suppressor parts around and that even a spare baffle is a suppressor in the eyes of the ATF.

Keeping that in mind, and knowing that the end-user can't change baffles out in their suppressor legally, I wonder about this.
A - If you want to change the oil in your car and you are in possession of the registered adapter, it would appear that you're now in violation of the law because you have a separate baffle aka big no-no.
B - They're likely trying to sell this as a modular can, but the only way these things can be swapped out is if you send the registered adapter to them and request that they change out the oil filter for you.  

You sure about A and B?
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:20:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sure about A and B?

Yes.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:23:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sure about A and B?

Yes.

Yes, they are both valid points. Appparently, they have engraved the filter wih their information, but that pretty much ruins the practical side of this one. Could be a good idea, as andrasik said, if the regs didn't shit all over it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:28:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't see it as practical but thought it was a neat idea. I did not know it was a dupe
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:31:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I am not sure it is really worth the trouble for a .22 suppressor . The very best .22 suppressors only cost $200. plus a stamp.

Good ideas though , could lead to something better.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:32:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am not sure it is really worth the trouble for a .22 suppressor . The very best .22 suppressors only cost $200. plus a stamp.

I mean...if I could get another Sparrow for $200, I'd jump on it right now.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:34:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, it's dupity for a thread in the suppressors forum as well.
But suffice to say, the entire hope for this device was pinned on the oil filters being declared "wipes"-IOW baffles that are solid and are shot through.
Wipes are one part that ATF has allowed to be replaceable in their various Koran-like, contradictory,schizophrenic declarations over the years.
Technical branch's writings are more confusing over time than Mohammed's writings.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:37:15 AM EDT
[#11]
in before the atf
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:42:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I found a guy selling these in the EE as "solvent traps" last night
he even made a point to say in his add that it covered the back of the filter (it wouldn't suppress properly if it didn't)
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:44:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm about to pay $400 for an SWR Spectre2.  Am I missing something here?
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:48:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:57:13 AM EDT
[#15]
I hear they won't work with a Fram......

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:06:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
thanks..

next on the list, the Brady bunch will be banning tactical oil filters

Solvent trap adapter.

People who also bought this bought............

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:08:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
he even made a point to say in his add that it covered the back of the filter (it wouldn't suppress properly if it didn't)

Yep, saw that ad a week or so ago. Smelled like a trap to me, but then again so did the DIAS ad in shotgun news and we found out it actually was just a guy selling them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:13:32 AM EDT
[#18]
The Fram filter allows impurities to enter the gun and damage the slide to frame surfaces.YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:17:29 AM EDT
[#19]
watching this thread.......

the ATF are
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:24:03 AM EDT
[#20]
They should  put the oil filter suppressor on a shoestring machine gun.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:28:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:29:50 AM EDT
[#22]
It's a crying shame that we live in a nation where we're all sitting here jealous that we can't run to the hardware store and buy a $3 threaded adapter and a $5 oil filter and do this with our guns.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:33:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That person is no longer a member of this website.

good to hear it lol
I didn't think you guys would want to be inviting any more ATF to the site than necessary
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:39:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's a crying shame that we live in a nation where we're all sitting here jealous that we can't run to the hardware store and buy a $3 threaded adapter and a $5 oil filter and do this with our guns.

The real shame is the whole NFA thing.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:41:48 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

good to hear it lol

I didn't think you guys would want to be inviting any more ATF to the site than necessary

last local gun show a guy had a TABLE full of these...

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:44:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you guys know that DSK Armory, who sells these:

http://dskarmory.com/files/arfcom/AR15_COM_SILVER_COIN.html

Are also the guys who sell these: (that I posted above)?

http://www.dskarmory.com/muzzle-couplings/4-solvent-trap-adapters.html

I'm not sure if it matters, but I noticed it and thought it was worth pointing out.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:48:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not sure if it matters, but I noticed it and thought it was worth pointing out.

I think the stance here is that they can do whatever they dare as long as it's not done ON this website.

Zhukov's comment was about protecting arfcom, not about condemning what other people do with their solvent traps.

(I think...)

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:52:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the stance here is that they can do whatever they dare as long as it's not done ON this website.

Zhukov's comment was about protecting arfcom, not about condemning what other people do with their solvent traps.

(I think...)

You're probably right, I just figured it was worth mentioning, since staff is always so careful about who the site associates with.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:54:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Down with the NFA!!

Seriously, the first step is getting suppressors off of the NFA.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:55:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Wouldn't the paper in the filter burn up after several shots. If so, wouldn't the suppression part cease to work?
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:58:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I paid $200 for my Gemtech Outback2 , and $200 for my Tact.Inovations can.

Oops , this was a few years ago , and I now see they have gone up in price, to about $300.

Also , my SWR HEMS .45 is my favorite, you will NOT be disappointed in SWR.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I don't see it as practical but thought it was a neat idea. I did not know it was a dupe

Good for TEOTWAWKI.
Any junk car is a new silencer.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:03:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No, the very best .22 suppressors are more like $700ish dollars. AAC Element 2 and Silencerco Sparrow along with Liberty are the nicest & quietest.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:14:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The Fram filter allows impurities to enter the gun and damage the slide to frame surfaces.YMMV.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:16:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I paid $200 for my Gemtech Outback2 , and $200 for my Tact.Inovations can.

Oops , this was a few years ago , and I now see they have gone up in price, to about $300.

Also , my SWR HEMS .45 is my favorite, you will NOT be disappointed in SWR.

Both of the .22 suppressors you mention are way down the list and loud. I have 2 of the Tactical Innovations Quest cans and they meter 10db above the Element *after* the TI's first round pop.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Wonder how an oil filter would stand up to a 10mm or 300wsm?
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:36:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Wouldn't the paper in the filter burn up after several shots. If so, wouldn't the suppression part cease to work?

Which is why you can buy a case of oil filters at Wally World for chump change.......

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is why you can buy a case of oil filters at Wally World for chump change.......

But you can't legally change them yourself...that's the whole  problem with this setup.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But you can't legally change them yourself...that's the whole  problem with this setup.

IMHO they are just a toy/novelty & way to show how easy it is to fairly effectively suppress a gun. I doubt many people buy these for anything other than the novelty.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

According to the letter the company has on their site, ATF considers the adapter itself to be the serialed Supressor, NOT the Oil Filter.  I dont understand why you seem to be so suprised, considering their past history when ATF  reverses themselves on stuff like this. .  
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 11:03:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to the letter the company has on their site, ATF considers the adapter itself to be the serialed Supressor, NOT the Oil Filter.  I dont understand why you seem to be so suprised, considering their history that ATF is reversing themselves on this.  It's not like they have a history of doing so or anything.  

That doesn't change any of the above points and, in fact, strengthens them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to the letter the company has on their site, ATF considers the adapter itself to be the serialed Supressor, NOT the Oil Filter.  I dont understand why you seem to be so suprised, considering their history that ATF is reversing themselves on this.  It's not like they have a history of doing so or anything.  

That doesn't change any of the above points and, in fact, strengthens them.

Shouldnt post when I'm half asleep..  I'm not disagreeing.  The company is basinf it's premise on the Filters acting as "Wipes"..ATF so far hasnt made a decision either way AFAIK.  That said, So far, I believe all of the youtube videos are made by Employees of the SOT, NOT actual Customers.  take that any way you wish.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Wish you didn't hafta pay $200 to hook a fucking oil filter to the end of your gun.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 11:27:45 AM EDT
[#44]
interestingly enough, Cadiz Gun Works, who made the "Econo-Can" shown in the video, no longer list it on their website, although they DO list "Solvent trap" adapters, and American specialty, who initially made the Video, no longer lists it on their site either.  Sounds like ATF may have rescinded that letter
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#45]
hrmm mostly paper lined filters... the one on the AK sure looked like it was ready to cathc fire
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 11:50:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yep, saw that ad a week or so ago. Smelled like a trap to me, but then again so did the DIAS ad in shotgun news and we found out it actually was just a guy selling them.

Nope. Turns out the DIAS guy WAS a trap. He recently got busted for some crap he did. Look it up. The info is out there.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Down with the NFA!!

Seriously, the first step is getting suppressors off of the NFA.

No. The first step is in  making supressors a point of sale item just like anything else. The NCIC check done for a frearm purchase is the same thnig the ATF takes 8 months to run. There is exactly zero reason that silencers/supressors can't be done right then and there.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#48]
and how are you supposed to aim beyond 10 feet?
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:16:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Wonder how an oil filter would stand up to a 10mm or 300wsm?

One of the vids shows 5.45 mag dumps
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#50]
How does the rule about the OEM rebuilding a suppressor apply to Form 1 builds?

IIRC, a few years ago the BATFE went ape-shit on somebody importing something similar from Germany without an NFA stamp. That one was an adapter to attach a plastic coke bottle, and the premise was to catch your used cleaning patches for disposal as you push them through the barrel.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top