Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 10:36:16 PM EDT
[#1]
One of my all time favorite sleepers is "Crossing the Bridge"stars Josh Charles,Cheryl Pollack( a babe),Steven Baldwin,Jason Gedrick,and others.

Written and directed by Mike Binder
the same MB that has the HBO series"mind of a married man"
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 10:39:39 PM EDT
[#2]
8mm is a great sleeper.With Nicolas Cage
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 10:47:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think that two have been mentioned:

"Killing Zoe"
"Victory"

I'm sure that I'll keep adding as time goes on, but I'll also recommend "Trois Couleurs: Blue" aka "Three Colours: Blue".  Juliette Binoche. . . so sexy.  Get it and settle in with your significant other.

"Buffalo '66"  Edgy.

That's enough for now, I guess.  Would rank the recommendations to this crowd in this order:

1)  "Buffalo '66"
2)  "Killing Zoe"
3)  "Victory"
4)  "Blue" (for some time with your woman)
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 11:46:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
One of my all time favorite sleepers is "Crossing the Bridge"stars Josh Charles,Cheryl Pollack( a babe),Steven Baldwin,Jason Gedrick,and others.

Written and directed by Mike Binder
the same MB that has the HBO series"mind of a married man"
View Quote

I saw that.  The teen hash smugglers in Detroit.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 11:50:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

"Buffalo '66"  Edgy.

View Quote

I liked that because one of the characters was the kicker who lost The Bills a Superbowl by missing a field goal at the last minute.  That crucial event ruined the main character's life....plus the prog-rock soundtrack was a nice touch.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 12:15:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Boondock Saints was awesome, double thumbs up on that one.  And an extra finger for good measure.  This is the vigilante movie that I would have made (were I of course making one).

"Remo Williams" rocks.
"8mm" is a decent flick.  will make you feel pretty normal afterwards.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 12:40:08 AM EDT
[#7]
We can't leave "The Wind and the Lion"  off this list.  Given current world events, everyone needs to watch it again.  It is based on a true story where President Teddy Roosevelt sent in the Marines to take over the country of Morroco in response to the kidnapping of an American woman for ransom.  (The local outlaw sharifs had made it a business of kidnapping Europeans to raise money.)  

Sean Connery plays the kidnapper, Mulay Akmed Mohammed El Raizuli The Magnificent.

Candice Bergan is Mrs. Pedicarris the kidnapped woman.

Brian Keith is Teddy Roosevelt and does the best job I have ever seen any actor do of playing the part of a real president.

I've probably misspelled half the words here, but please don't judge the movie by my spelling; see it for yourself.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:43:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Just watched this one 15 minutes ago.
"All the pretty horses"Stars Matt Damon,Henry Thomas(AKA little boy from E.T.)Made me cry at the end and after the captain murder than little boy.

Sonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnofffffffffffffffffbitcheeeessssssssssssssss
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tremors - "Broke into the wrong Goddamn wreckroom didn't ya?!!!" (When the creature gets blown away by the survivalist couple)
View Quote

You're new here, eh? Welcome!  Tremors, though, is probably high on the list of movies most of us have seen.  got any other good ones?
View Quote

Thanks.  Long time lurker, first time poster.  My favorite quotes come from very pollitically incorrect movies such as "History of the World, pt1" and "Blazing Saddles".  Kind of a Mel Brooks fan.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:30:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm sure that I'll keep adding as time goes on, but I'll also recommend "Trois Couleurs: Blue" aka "Three Colours: Blue".  Juliette Binoche. . . so sexy.  Get it and settle in with your significant other.
View Quote

If you like Juliette, then you'll need to see "The Horseman on the Roof".  It's an adventure in France during a plague.  You'll find a new appreciation for fireplaces and wine.  She's very yummy.

I'd also recommend "The Navigator".  Hmmmmmm, that's another plague movie, too.  Anyway, it's about Medieval England during the plague.  A group of townsfolk get transported to modern England while searching for an answer to the plague.  It's actually done well.

I can't forget "The Train" starring Burt Lancaster and Paul Scofield in a WWII flick.  The French try to save their national heritage, i.e., art, sculptures, etc.  Excellent!

BTW, "Army of Darkness" was in the local Walmart on DVD.  It was $21, so I didn't get it.  $10, yeah, I'd go for it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Not really a sleeper, just old.  

Cool Hand Luke
also Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was good
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:54:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Blood Simple
Resevoir Dogs
Bladerunner
The Spy who came in from the Cold
The Hill
Cinema Paradiso
Tunes of Glory
Last Flight of the Pheonix
The Dresser
One Day in the West
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I also liked a minor-league, baseball movie with William Petersen (stars in CSI).  It was called "Long Gone", and I was very pleasantly surprised by it.

I've never seen it again, but I'm not sure why.  Maybe I'm the only one that liked it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 4:45:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Clerks!!!

Rushmore and Bottle Rocket-Both written/directed by Wes Anderson, also my 2 favorite movies of all time. The Royal Tenenbaums (when I see it) will probably be my third favorite.

Sleuth-As another poster already said, there are only 2 actors during the entire movie-Sir Laurence Olivier and Michael Caine. starts out slow but gets better.

Deathtrap-Even better the Sleuth. Also starring Michael Caine.

Jackie Brown- didn't get nearly the amount of credit that it deserved, even though it was just as good as pulp fiction.

American History X-Definitly a cult classic among alot of my friends.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#15]
a lot of these movies mentioned I would definitely not consider sleepers by any stretch of the imagination
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Has anybody seen wizards? It has to be the greatest cartoon of all time!

Remo Williams is good, but the books are much better, I read most of them in the late 70's and early 80's.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#17]
"They call me Trinity" is also good.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
"They call me Trinity" is also good.
View Quote

That reminded me of a good one. "My name is nobody"
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:20:56 PM EDT
[#20]

[img]http://www.thecinemalaser.com/dvd_reviews/blue-velvet-dvd.jpg[/img]

[b][blue]Blue Velvet[/blue][/b]

[b]You know what a loverletter is you fucking fuck?!!![/b]

There is an un named member here that thinks he coined that phrase...  "fucking fuck" [rolleyes]
[:)]  LOL...

Realist Out
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:28:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Remo Williams is good, but the books are much better, I read most of them in the late 70's and early 80's.
View Quote

I agree; I read most, if not all, of the "DESTROYER" series  in  the '86-88 time frame, thanks to a roommate at MCAS New River NC. Too bad they never made a film version of the "Casca , The Eternal Warrior" series.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just watched this one 15 minutes ago.
"All the pretty horses"Stars Matt Damon,Henry Thomas(AKA little boy from E.T.)Made me cry at the end and after the captain murder than little boy.

Sonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnofffffffffffffffffbitcheeeessssssssssssssss
View Quote

Great Movie.  When Damon is talking the the Judge I  missed the part were he talked about what happened to the Captain.  Please don't post a spoiler here.  If you would, please email me and let me know.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ninja Scroll
View Quote

Good call.
Great battle scene in the forest.

[or was it "Ninja Scrolls"?  Not a big difference, I guess.]

Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#24]
How 'bout Leaving Los Vegas,Barfly, and........... Gummo?
AB
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:55:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Here's a few of my favorite sleepers I don't think I saw mentioned above:

Duel...early Spielberg
52 pickup...Elmore Leonard and Ann-Margaret!!
Vampires...James Woods
13th Warrior
Falling Down
Bladerunner...simply the best
The Getaway...McQueen, not Baldwin version
and mentioned before: Things to do in Denver when You're Dead
and I forgot Outland aka High Moon
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:56:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
a lot of these movies mentioned I would definitely not consider sleepers by any stretch of the imagination
View Quote

As mentioned in the first post, not quite blockbust/A list movies, ok?

"Hard Boiled", btw, has some of the coolest gun fights in a film (not best, just cool).
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How 'bout Leaving Los Vegas,Barfly, and........... Gummo?
AB
View Quote

Holy Sheeeit! Gummo! When I am on my death bed I will look back and lament wasting 90 minutes on that piece of crap.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Zero Effect- Awesome movie.

The Big Picture- A movie where I actually liked Kevin Bacon.  Directed by Christopher Guest.

Waiting for Guffman/Best in Show-  Basically the same movie done twice but both great.

Assault on Precinct 13-  Brian DePalma classic.

Better Off Dead-  Not sure if this is a sleeper, but a damned funny movie.

and of course:
Sleeper with Woody Allen.  His third best movie after Bananas and Take the Money and Run.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#29]
"Amazon Women on the Moon".

Please give to the Blacks with No Soul charity.

It's a good cause...
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:49:43 PM EDT
[#30]
The Tao of Steve
Chopper
Bravo 20
Memento
House of Mirth
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:01:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Safe House, with Patrick Stewart

[url]http://us.imdb.com/Title?0120051[/url]

Scott

Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:15:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Zero Effect- Awesome movie.
View Quote

I'll second that.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:36:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Boondoc Saints.
View Quote

Hell yes!  
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:50:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Man Bites Dog--A French film done in documentary style about a serial murderer (or hit man, I can't remember exactly).  VERY realistic and slightly disturbing...good though.  

Just watched Slingblade again.  What a freaking great film.  Every single performance is quality.  Who would have ever thought Dwight Yoakam would be so good and despicable as the boyfriend?  That little kid is the boy every father would love to have.  If Billy Bob never does anything good again that film will be his legacy; he wrote it, directed it and starred in it.  

Ghost Dog--great flick.  The scene with the gumbahs sitting at the table talking about Ghost Dog is masterful.

Heavy Metal--great cult film and the most badass soundtrack ever.  

Re-animator.  

The Toxic Avenger--put the guys hands in the french frier--freaking classic!

An American Werewolf in London.  Griffin Dunne decomposes before your eyes!  Done when special effects were really special and not the CGI crap.  

Scanners.  Scan Me!

Hard Boiled.

Buckaroo Banzai--so bad it's good.  

The orginal Hellraiser.  

Great call on To Live and Die in L.A.  

Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:56:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Safe House, with Patrick Stewart

[url]http://us.imdb.com/Title?0120051[/url]

Scott

View Quote

Great movie.  He may be an antigun, American hating SOB, but I can't help loving the guy.  Good guns in this one too.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 11:51:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I like these 'not quite A-movies':

Memento
Suicide Kings
The Iron Giant
Trute or Consequences
Mulholland Drive
84 Charlie Mopic
Monster's Ball
The Usual Suspects
Ghost Dog
Chasing Amy
Clerks
Dogma
Blow
Bridget Jones's Diary
Shakespeare in Love
A Knight's Tale
Highjacking Hollywood
Swimming with Sharks
The Last Supper
Shallow Grave
Rogue Trader
Boiler Room
Sneakers
Memphis Belle
Hackers
American History X
The Temp
Dead Calm
Bad Influence
Two Days in The Valley
Dream Lover
Freeway
Grosse Pointe Blank
Say Anything

Big budget movies that I like:

A Beautiful mind
The Lord of the Rings
Enemy At the Gates
KPAX
Heat
Moulin Rouge
The Others
Thriteen Days
The Horse Whisperer

ow...my head hurts now...

Boxing Helena, Legend , and  Lock Stock...how can I forget these?! Great movies!!!

View Quote

The Iron Giant is one of the most anti gun movies ever made.

A sleeper I just watched: The Frighteners

A damn good movie.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 11:54:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The Iron Giant is one of the most anti gun movies ever made.
View Quote

Never saw it, but I think THE most anti-gun movie of all time is "It's All the Rage".  People become psychotic murderers when they come into possesion of any handgun.  That's what the movie is about.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 12:51:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 1:14:28 AM EDT
[#40]
I have a new all-time favorite "HOMBRE"Starring Paul Newman." Damn going to watch it again.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#41]
I don't think anyone mentioned "[red]Ride with the Devil[/red]", which is a great Civil War movie and I don't think it was ever even released to the theatres.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 1:25:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted: The scene when the mute waif rolled in the hay with Slater gave me a woody. [;)]
View Quote

I'm not sure, but I do believe this is the first time I have ever seen the words "mute," "waif," and "woody" used together in a sentence.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 1:29:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm not sure, but I do believe this is the first time I have ever seen the words "mute," "waif," and "woody" used together in a sentence.
View Quote

Mute waifs with woodies just won't go around here...I suggest you take this to another forum now. [:D]

Speaking of F. Murray Abraham, there's always "Amadeus".  The freaky costume he wears scared me when I first saw that flick.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#44]
There was a sleeper hit a few years ago starring Don Johnson as a US Army Cavalry Sgt. in the early 1920's. His character was in the last mounted unit before the Army went to Mechanized Cavalry units. He was tasked with 'eliminating' the last horses and was unable as he had spent all of his carrer taking care of his mounts. He lived by the code of "the horses, the saddles, the men". He and his squad take these horses from southern AZ all of the way to Canada.

I cannot remember the title to this movie, can anyone help?
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 1:55:38 PM EDT
[#45]
I haven't seen anybody mention this one: "Southern Comfort".
Powers Boothe, Keith Carridine, AR15's, Cajuns, Swamps, and Blood. Pretty cool.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#46]
"Eating Raoul".... A little light movie about Cannibalism. Absolutely hysterical.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't think anyone mentioned Pink Flamingos - a true John Waters original.  Or, Repo Man.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#48]
"Hercules Returns".  The guy who played The Aviator from The Road Warrior is in it, BTW.

Oh yeah -- "The Quiet Earth".  Post-SRHTF movie.  The "apron scene" is the hottest thing on film.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 3:23:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
There was a sleeper hit a few years ago starring Don Johnson as a US Army Cavalry Sgt. in the early 1920's. His character was in the last mounted unit before the Army went to Mechanized Cavalry units. He was tasked with 'eliminating' the last horses and was unable as he had spent all of his carrer taking care of his mounts. He lived by the code of "the horses, the saddles, the men". He and his squad take these horses from southern AZ all of the way to Canada.

View Quote

Why sure - you're thinking of the 1995 made for TV [url=http://us.imdb.com/Title?0113399]"In Pursuit of Honor"[/url].

Adam
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Why sure - you're thinking of the 1995 made for TV [url=http://us.imdb.com/Title?0113399]"In Pursuit of Honor"[/url].

Adam
View Quote

Thank you sir.

Yes, that's it. If you guys ever see it in a video store or coming on HBO. definitely check it out!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top