Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/4/2012 3:59:59 AM EDT
http://www.theleafchronicle.com/article/20120104/NEWS01/201040312/Teen-suffers-head-injury-in-Clarksville-wreck?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

A 19-year-old who suffered head injuries in a wreck on Madison Street Monday night was one of five people in the car and the only one not wearing a seat belt.

The only one not wearing a seat belt was a 19-year-old male sitting in the center back seat. He was launched forward into the windshield when the vehicle hit the pole. He sustained head injuries and was taken by Lifeflight helicopter to Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville. He is in stable condition.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:14:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Sadly too many do not understand Newtons first law of motion.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:17:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I never understood why people dont wear seatbelts and helmets
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:19:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:20:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Stupid obviously hurts.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:21:50 AM EDT
[#5]
but hey, he gets one heck of a helicopter ride
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:24:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I remember the older cars with metal dashes, hard steering wheels, non collapsible

steering columns and no belts. In a collision the people absorbed the damage, but

the cars were like tanks.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:26:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

but hey, he gets to pay for one heck of a helicopter ride

FIFY
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:29:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FIFY

About 15k around here.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:45:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm surprised insurance companies haven't started saying they won't cover or will only partially cover your expenses from auto accidents if you weren't wearing a seat belt.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:47:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I remember the older cars with metal dashes, hard steering wheels, non collapsible
steering columns and no belts. In a collision the people absorbed the damage, but
the cars were like tanks.

Heh. People are replaceable, they ain't making anymore '56's
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:50:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I worked a headon accident two weeks ago. The one person not wearing his seatbelt is the one who got all his teeth knocked out and surgery for a shattered pelvis.

YMMV

I came upon a head-on accident on a 50mph state road, so figure smacking a brick wall at 100.  Airbags deployed in both cars.

3 folks in one vehicle with seat belts on.  One or two bloody noses.  One guy in the other vehicle with no seatbelt on.  *snort* *snort* DRT, fetch a tarp.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:56:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I worked a headon accident two weeks ago. The one person not wearing his seatbelt is the one who got all his teeth knocked out and surgery for a shattered pelvis.

YMMV

I came upon a head-on accident on a 50mph state road, so figure smacking a brick wall at 100.  Airbags deployed in both cars.

3 folks in one vehicle with seat belts on.  One or two bloody noses.  One guy in the other vehicle with no seatbelt on.  *snort* *snort* DRT, fetch a tarp.

It doesn't work like that.  If you were crushed between the two cars then yes but to the occupants in the car it's still like hitting the brick wall at 50.  (Assuming a complete stop at impact.)
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:10:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Since most vehicles only have a lap belt for that weird center seat, wonder what would have happened if he had been buckled up?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:13:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FIFY

About 15k around here.  

mine was a tad under 18k
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:18:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FIFY

About 15k around here.  

Several years ago my bill was around $12,600.  Wait till they find out that most insurance doesn't pay but a couple of grand for emergency transport and the rest is up to  you.  Ouch!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:19:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FIFY

About 15k around here.  

mine was a tad under 18k

I'm not sure which would hurt more; head hitting the windshield or an $18k bill hitting my head.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:22:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I've done that! It's a short flight with a sudden impact landing.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:22:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV

It doesn't work like that.  If you were crushed between the two cars then yes but to the occupants in the car it's still like hitting the brick wall at 50.  (Assuming a complete stop at impact.)

I never did take Physics.

Whatever the forces at work, they were sufficient to plant one seat belt disbeliever in the marble garden.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:28:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:30:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV

I never did take Physics.

Whatever the forces at work, they were sufficient to plant one seat belt disbeliever in the marble garden.

The forces at work are just this -

The car goes from being in motion to stopping abruptly because it hit something.  But your body keeps right on going until something stops it.

So what would you rather have stop your body: a seatbelt or ramming your head thru the windshield?

Surviving car crashes revolves around

a. not having the parts of the car crushed into your body.  

b. slowing your body down as gently as possible

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:40:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Smart for people to wear seatbelts.
Intrusive for governments to mandate it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:54:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If we lived in a world where, if you couldn't pay for medical care you just didn't get any, I'd agree with you. In fact, in principle, I *do* agree with you. However, when you start pawning your medical costs back to the taxpayers, the paying customers of medical facilities or the facilities themselves I'm more disinclined to "stay out of your business."

I would never, under any circumstances operate a motor vehicle without proper personal protective equipment and not because it's unlawful. Much like I wouldn't operate a power tool without the same. Some activities are inherently dangerous, people who attempt those activities with no care as to the danger involved should, ultimately, be the ones paying for their own, conscious, negligence.

So, I'm with you, in principle, just not in the case of the current realities of this world.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:54:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I find government speed limits intrusive too.

I should be able to drive as fast as my car can go.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:03:48 AM EDT
[#24]
I was in a wreck in 1996. I was the only one wearing a seatbelt. I was in the backseat. Did not trust the driver. We got in a wreck. I broke my back and nearly bled out internally. I spent the next month in the hospital. The other three guys in the car including the driver were treated and released that night with relatively minor injuries. Maybe I would have died had I not been wearing a belt. Maybe I also would have suffered minor injuries. You just really don't have any way of knowing these things.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:12:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
but hey, he gets one heck of a helicopter ride

You know you're going to Hell, don't you?  
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:16:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Darwin has been cheated. Darwin not happy.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:17:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I was in a wreck in 1996. I was the only one wearing a seatbelt. I was in the backseat. Did not trust the driver. We got in a wreck. I broke my back and nearly bled out internally. I spent the next month in the hospital. The other three guys in the car including the driver were treated and released that night with relatively minor injuries. Maybe I would have died had I not been wearing a belt. Maybe I also would have suffered minor injuries. You just really don't have any way of knowing these things.

Curiosity strikes:

1: How tall are you and how much do you weigh (or at the time of the accident, actually)

2: What kind of vehicle was it?

3: What were the dynamics of the accident? (Point of impact on your ride, speed, secondary impacts)

4: What got cut inside your body that bled? (liver, kidneys, vascular stuff?)
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:17:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm surprised insurance companies haven't started saying they won't cover or will only partially cover your expenses from auto accidents if you weren't wearing a seat belt.

I have wondered this for a long time and would fully support it.  You are covered, but have to take all measure to protect yourself or its on you if something happens.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:17:41 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Yup...

Ex-wife wearing seatbelt had to go to the hospital. Me not wearing a seatbelt was just fine. You never know...
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:25:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup...

Ex-wife wearing seatbelt had to go to the hospital. Me not wearing a seatbelt was just fine. You never know...

People have survived skydiving with the shoot not opening but I don't want to try.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:26:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Me either.

Should not be legislated though (except for minors).
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:37:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I don't get it either, I've made it a personal rule that everyone in my car has to wear a helmet.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:39:41 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup...

People have survived skydiving with the shoot not opening but I don't want to try.

Shydiving while shooting? I will have to look that one up. Sounds fun!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:43:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup...

Jump out of the airplane naked with a Taurus Judge.

Just as you are about to hit the ground, shoot straight down as fast as you can, with your .410 defense rounds.

By the 6th round, you can just step onto the earth.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:45:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup...

So what you're saying is, it's not a good shoot?  
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:46:59 AM EDT
[#36]
People who don't wear seat belts deserve what they get.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:49:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup...

Statistically speaking you are going to be safer in a MVA if you are secured in the vehicle by a seat belt. The fact that sometimes people get away with it or that sometimes people are more injured by the presence of the seatbelt does not dispute the overwhelming evidence that it is, statistically, safer to wear one.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:59:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Curiosity strikes:

1: How tall are you and how much do you weigh (or at the time of the accident, actually)

3: What were the dynamics of the accident? (Point of impact on your ride, speed, secondary impacts)

1: How tall are you and how much do you weigh (or at the time of the accident, actually) I am 5'8" just got out of the Army and was in awesome shape.  I weighed about 150. (Still do )

2: What kind of vehicle was it? A Buick regal, four-door sedan, I believe.

3: What were the dynamics of the accident? (Point of impact on your ride, speed, secondary impacts) Driver went through an offset intersection at night. The vehicle struck an embankment at a 90-degree angle at about 45 mph. Complete stop. No rollover or anything.

4: What got cut inside your body that bled? (liver, kidneys, vascular stuff?)Spleen, pancreas, small bowel and some muscle damage, as far as I know. They removed a few feet of intestine and part of my pancreas. I needed in excess of 6 units of blood.

I was in the backseat, as I said, and vehicle only had a lap belt in the backseat. I basically snapped in half, breaking my L3 vertabrea. I also broke a bone in my hand when it smacked into the center console and chipped a molar when my face hit the back of the passenger seat. My face was pretty swollen and black and blue for awhile. I have a foot long surgical scar on my abdomen as a memento and aside from a creaky back, no lasting effects, other than the shortened bowel causes some issues with a mild case of Crohn's that developed later in my life.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:09:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Curiosity strikes:

1: How tall are you and how much do you weigh (or at the time of the accident, actually) I am 5'8" just got out of the Army and was in awesome shape.  I weighed about 150. (Still do )

2: What kind of vehicle was it? A Buick regal, four-door sedan, I believe.

3: What were the dynamics of the accident? (Point of impact on your ride, speed, secondary impacts) Driver went through an offset intersection at night. The vehicle struck an embankment at a 90-degree angle at about 45 mph. Complete stop. No rollover or anything.

4: What got cut inside your body that bled? (liver, kidneys, vascular stuff?)Spleen, pancreas, small bowel and some muscle damage, as far as I know. They removed a few feet of intestine and part of my pancreas. I needed in excess of 6 units of blood.

I was in the backseat, as I said, and vehicle only had a lap belt in the backseat. I basically snapped in half, breaking my L3 vertabrea. I also broke a bone in my hand when it smacked into the center console and chipped a molar when my face hit the back of the passenger seat. My face was pretty swollen and black and blue for awhile. I have a foot long surgical scar on my abdomen as a memento and aside from a creaky back, no lasting effects, other than the shortened bowel causes some issues with a mild case of Crohn's that developed later in my life.

back seat lap belts are spine-snappers

the auto companies knew about this for many years but didn't put shoulder belts into backseats until they were forced to.

actually, cars were horrendously unsafe until the gov stepped in

i hate to say it but it's true

example - some cars had front seats that folded forward in a wreck, the backseat occupant would pile-drive the front seater into the rock hard metal dashboard

it amazes me sometimes how completely devoid of ethics some companies are, and how they always seem to get away with it.  That's one of the herpy derpy things about conservatives that's annoying, this slobbery adoration of big companies, like as if a bunch of rapacious, unethical crooks represent the best of capitalism.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Newton is just soooo 17th Century, dude.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I hate to say it, but that's natural selection. I don't think it should be a citation worthy offense for someone not
to wear a seatbelt. I think cars should be required to have them though. It's not my problem of you are too stupid to put it on.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:56:25 PM EDT
[#42]
The speed limit is only 45 on Madison st so they must of been driving like retards to pullout of a KFC parking lot and smash right into a pole.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV

That is closer to smacking a wall at 50 MPH if the vehicles are similar in mass if it was a direct head-on collision.

But, I want to know: is the "*snort* *snort*" the sound of someone inhaling their face, or what?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:15:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

<snip>

it amazes me sometimes how completely devoid of ethics some companies are, and how they always seem to get away with it.  That's one of the herpy derpy things about conservatives that's annoying, this slobbery adoration of big companies, like as if a bunch of rapacious, unethical crooks represent the best of capitalism.

The fact of the matter is that companies are motivated by what they think results in profit measured by their bottom line (however they define that bottom line).

Ethics isn't a factor generally.

Return on investment  (or whatever metric the board of directors is evaluated by) is the key.

Sometimes ethical factors are included in that metric.  That doesn't seem to be the norm, though.

A human life is worth what it costs in court, and that's the end of that, for many companies.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The speed limit is only 45 on Madison st so they must of been driving like retards to pullout of a KFC parking lot and smash right into a pole.

I went to APSU (Go Govs!!) but didn't spent much time in Clarksville (I'm from Hopkinsville,just 30 miles up the road). I was having some trouble picturing that part of Madison St and even after looking at Google Maps, the area has changed so much in the last 26 years....like my hometown, I feel like a stranger!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV

That is closer to smacking a wall at 50 MPH if the vehicles are similar in mass if it was a direct head-on collision.

But, I want to know: is the "*snort* *snort*" the sound of someone inhaling their face, or what?

He made kind of a snoring noise for a few seconds before he died.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV

That's curious. When I was in basic police officer training, and accident investigation class in school, both the troopers teaching accident investigation and the instructors teaching accident investigation said the same same thing about combined forces. I was told you should always attempt to avoid a head on because the the sum of the combined rate of travel for each vehicle exceeded the force generated by one rate of travel hitting a fixed object. Have the physics changed? I noticed your caveat of assuming a complete stop at time of impact... is that the deciding factor? Not trying to be argumentative, just please explain why. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Seat belts. How do they work?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:41:27 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup...

Jump out of the airplane naked with a Taurus Judge.

Just as you are about to hit the ground, shoot straight down as fast as you can, with your .410 defense rounds.

By the 6th round, you can just step onto the earth.

Damn shame The Judge is only a five round gun.   You are still going to go splat!  

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:48:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top