Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#1]
But really, though, how do you know it isn't a CHUPACABRAS in that attic, clawing its way through your ceiling to rip your face off?

You can't really KNOW that isn't the case, can you?

Hmmm?

Hmmmmmmmm?

Link Posted: 9/20/2011 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#2]
lol @ NJ gun laws.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
But really, though, how do you know it isn't a CHUPACABRAS in that attic, clawing its way through your ceiling to rip your face off?

You can't really KNOW that isn't the case, can you?

Hmmm?

Hmmmmmmmm?

What about an army of camel spiders that his land lord put there?
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
do you have a sword ?

need video of this proposed solution.

yes, that is what I was tapping on the ceiling with to scare it off.  I do NOT wanna go anywhere near the fucking racoon if it falls through.  I have the number for a 24/7 pest control company, if it falls through I'm calling and I expect my landlord to pay for it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 4:02:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I've already had like four babies.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've already had like four babies.

lol i keep thinking about that commercial..
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Turn all of the lights off.

Set an open jar of peanut butter under the weak spot.

Start reading the "Creepy Stories" thread.

Pretty sure the problem will correct itself by morning.

Link Posted: 9/20/2011 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#8]
The varmint is there to eat your sack when you sleep..
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 4:30:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Buy a box of mothballs and scatter a few here and a few there in your ceiling. The coon will bug out when it starts to get a wiff of the vapor coming off of the mothballs.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 4:36:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Call apt management company, etc, leave a papertrail for insurance. Document their negligence

Call Animal Control

Baseball bat or big spear. If you have ever seen a pissed off raccoon you would know that you don't want to get close to it. Raccoons do not stay cornered for long and will tear your ass up given the chance.

I called the landlord.. apparently she has KNOWN about the racoon family living up there she didnt have any solutions for me, I told her if it falls through I'm calling the cops to get animal control here.  And to those asking.. YES you need an FID... firearms purchaser identification card to purchase any BB or pellet gun in NJ, I believe you actually need a seperate handgun license to purchase a bb or pellet pistol and we are limited to one handgun purchase per month.  I cannot leave NJ, I go to college here and do not make enough money to go anywhere else if I was to quit my job

Pay 50% of your rent next month; tell her she can collect the rest from the raccoons.

Link Posted: 9/20/2011 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Call apt management company, etc, leave a papertrail for insurance. Document their negligence

Call Animal Control

Baseball bat or big spear. If you have ever seen a pissed off raccoon you would know that you don't want to get close to it. Raccoons do not stay cornered for long and will tear your ass up given the chance.

I called the landlord.. apparently she has KNOWN about the racoon family living up there she didnt have any solutions for me, I told her if it falls through I'm calling the cops to get animal control here.  And to those asking.. YES you need an FID... firearms purchaser identification card to purchase any BB or pellet gun in NJ, I believe you actually need a seperate handgun license to purchase a bb or pellet pistol and we are limited to one handgun purchase per month.  I cannot leave NJ, I go to college here and do not make enough money to go anywhere else if I was to quit my job

Pay 50% of your rent next month; tell her she can collect the rest from the raccoons.

this
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 4:45:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Stabby-Stabby
Make sure you have pictures when you get done with him.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#14]
TAG for outcome
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#15]
If you have an old Mosin rifle, now is the time to utilize that long spike bayonet.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I wish I woulda bought one of those rubber ball CS tear gas grenades when I had the chance  The coon has stopped scratching for now and food has been put away... Day 1
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 4:52:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Beat said raccoon with baseball bat. Deliver carcass to landlord's home address. Tell landlord to fix the roof and the hole. Pics of the whole event would probably earn you a spot in the ARF hall of fame. Video of landlord reaction to the dead raccoon carcass along with other pics will earn major ARF bonus points. If you cook the raccoon and have dinner pics as well ??

You could very well get legendary status in the ARF hall of fame !!
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#18]
move
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Am I in before the rabies shots?  Just stuff it in a pillow case and take it outside.  Make sure you take pix for us.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41IIlr8qu%2BL.jpg

Stabby-Stabby
Make sure you have pictures when you get done with him.

I see your pitch fork and raise with the tactical pitchfork

Link Posted: 9/20/2011 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Get your digital camera and start documenting.  You need a paper trail for when you clash with your landlord over this.  Take video when the critter starts scratching again.  Take pics of the weakened area of the roof on a daily basis as the structure degrades, including the aftermath.  I don't know if L&I can get involved, but having those pics and video will help prove your case.

You also need to start creating a paper trail of notification to your landlord.  You need to prove that you told her about the problem.  Send letters (not emails) notifying her of the issue and keep copies of the letters.  If you send them certified mail, keep the receipts.  

Remember, it's not always what happened, it's what you can PROVE.

As for dispatching the critter, I think you can work that one out.  I like the idea of an improvised spear.  Even those cheap $5 survival knives in the 1980s had a hollow handle so you could lash them onto a broomstick and use it as a spear.  Keep your distance from the coon, some of them have rabies and you don't want to get bit.  It's too bad there aren't poison traps you can lay out for those suckers.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 9/20/2011 5:03:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Take geography in college.  Learn about how to move to places other than Jersey.  For fucks sake, are baseball bats illegal there?
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I want a pet raccoon too.  For now i just have to make due with the chinchillas living in my brain.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 6:24:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I had two come in the cat door and were fighting in the kitchen over the cat food, here's what I discovered.

Get a really bright flashlight and shine it right in the face, it blinds them for sure. Take baseball bat and give a quick bonk to the head and knock him out. Grab him by the tail and whip him out the door. If you hit them too hard it'll bleed causing a mess.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Have-a-heart trap in a paper lawn bag (watch for the claws coming thru). Then a rope to pull it thru a small body of water, barrel, or pool. Keep submerged for a couple of minutes. Rasberry zingers and fried cherry pies work best for bait, set in behind the step pate (trigger). Gets 'em every time. Happy trapping!
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Have-a-heart trap in a paper lawn bag (watch for the claws coming thru). Then a rope to pull it thru a small body of water, barrel, or pool. Keep submerged for a couple of minutes. Rasberry zingers and fried cherry pies work best for bait, set in behind the step pate (trigger). Gets 'em every time. Happy trapping!

Kinda defeats the purpose of a have a heart trap, but that is the funniest shit I have read all night!
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Are firecrackers illegal in NJ too?

(probably, never mind...)
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 6:38:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I had two come in the cat door and were fighting in the kitchen over the cat food, here's what I discovered.

Get a really bright flashlight and shine it right in the face, it blinds them for sure. Take baseball bat and give a quick bonk to the head and knock him out. Grab him by the tail and whip him out the door. If you hit them too hard it'll bleed causing a mess.

I beaned this one with my mag lite:

OP-  I can't believe you've let this problem go on this long.

How much raccoon shit has accumulated in that attic?

I hope that the "ceiling coon is watching you masturbate"  lights a fire under your ass so that you learn how to take care of little problems promptly before they turn into a 5 page "crisis" in GD.  

I hope that's not to harsh....

Link Posted: 9/20/2011 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#30]
alas, a broadhead stuck coon, exsanguinating in the attic, can stain a ceiling rather well
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I just....I just can't help it.  I've been drinking.

Link Posted: 9/20/2011 6:48:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Calmly explain to the landlord that if that little fucker gets in,  she'll have to pay for a LOT more than just some ceiling and roof damage:  She'll
have to pay for all incidental damages that occur when you end up beating a raccoon to death with a bowling ball swung from a short rope.  
That means new carpets, new walls, new windows....she'll get the message.

Cheap fix now or much more expensive repair later.  Her choice.

I believe she also has a legal obligation to attend to matters like that.

CJ

This.  Here, a tenant can withhold rent if a landlord does not resolve a maintenance issue within two weeks of receiving WRITTEN notice of your intent to withhold rent if the issue is not fixed.  It would also make sense that you have the right to expect to live in a home that is free of wild animals.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Be careful, they have a Navy too.

Link Posted: 9/20/2011 8:12:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Anything that goes boom is most likely illegal here...
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 4:11:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

yes.. sparklers are illegal here also
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 4:12:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I beaned this one with my mag lite:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/3064/p7120001p.jpg

OP-  I can't believe you've let this problem go on this long.
How much raccoon shit has accumulated in that attic?

I hope that the "ceiling coon is watching you masturbate"  lights a fire under your ass so that you learn how to take care of little problems promptly before they turn into a 5 page "crisis" in GD.  

I hope that's not to harsh....

I have been in the apartment for a month.. I've been aware of the raccoons for a few days, apparently the landlord is the one whos let it go on for too long and I'm putting an end to it, contacted her last night and told her she can either hire somneone to do it herself or I'm getting someone to get rid of the raccoons and fix the ceiling and I expect her to pay for it.  I wasn't surprised at all when she told me she was already aware of the racoons.. shes a cheap chinese lady, doesnt want to spd a single penny on any kind of maintenance or repairs, I've already had a few issues, this being the worst so far and I expect it to be taken care of promptly.  When the ceiling started to become damaged from the roof leak during the last storm I let her know immediately and she doesn't want to do anything about it.. "ohhhh it too expensive",  I guess she just doesnt understand that it becomes a hell of a lot more expensive to fix once the ceiling falls in, especially if there are animals involved, that she has known about and didnt tell me
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 4:40:21 AM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 9/21/2011 4:51:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

What would he do with a raccoon?

What couldn't he do with a raccoon?

Why he could give it a bath, brush it's fur, take him for a walk, play dress up, have tea party, train it to steal candy from the neighbors . . . Why, the possibilities are endless!  
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 5:14:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Move out of Jersey.

Link Posted: 9/21/2011 5:18:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Own a game cam?   Get one with video capability and set it up showing where they might come through, and where they might land.

Post to Youtube and use in court against your landlord.  (Seriously, find out your renter laws in the state and get to court, you may be able to stop paying rent.  That's a new AR15 every month....)

Be sure to report back with a link to  Youtube.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 5:35:43 AM EDT
[#41]
This thread is comedy gold.

Link Posted: 9/21/2011 6:10:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 6:30:35 AM EDT
[#43]

You are obviously unprepared for a common scenario.

No sympathy here.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 8:21:12 AM EDT
[#44]
I know a guy that went out with his buddy one night and they treed a raccoon... they had a sleeping bag that they were going to use to catch it as they threw rocks at it to knock it out of the tree... it fell out and landed in the sleeping bag... he said that the sleeping bag lasted on a second or two... that raccoon was pissed off and was more like a buzz saw trying to get them. They screamed like little girls and ran.

Step #1. Get bat
Step #2. Stand under ceiling where raccoon is going to fall through
Step #3. Swing for the fences.
Step #4. Home run!
Step #5. Sell raccoon skin for hat.
Step #6. Profit!
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Man up an kill the fucker? You don't need a gun to kill a raccoon.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 8:36:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 1:11:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Shit... theres a patch of ceiling in my apartment that is damaged from a roof leak, it looks very weak there and my landlord is still hesitating to fix it because she is cheap.  I am cooking food in the oven and now I hear the racoon thats living in the attic trying to scratch through the ceiling in the weak spot,it must smell my cooking.  WTF should I do if WHEN it breaks through??? I CANT SHOOT A FIREARM INSIDE MY APARTMENT.  I tapped on the ceiling in an effort to scare it off and i dont hear it scratching anymore but I'm sure its gonna get through sooner or later.  I dont know what to do.  Its 7:23pm and noone is going to fix this problem for me right now, i am in my bedroom with the door closed, the fucked up ceiling is in the living room.  If it gets in what do i do?????? I have been telling my landlord about the fucked up ceiling and she doesnt wanna fix it "oooo its too expensive"  yea well guess what lady.. its gonna be a hell of a lot more expensive when it fucking collapses into the apartment making a huge mess, and leaving a racoon running around destroying my shit

ETA: I LIVE IN NJ, I CANNOT DISCHARGE ANY CALIBER OF FIREARM INSIDE MY APARTMENT I WILL END UP IN PRISON IF I DO
ETA 2: WHEN I SAY I CANNOT SHOOT A GUN IN MY APARTMENT THAT MEANS I CANT SHOOT A DAMN GUN IN MY APARTMENT REGARDLESS OF CALIBER

I suppose maybe I should call the cops and have animal control sent here??? I have no means of taking out the racoon and to be completely honest I'd rather not have to go at the thing with a knife.  damnit i pay fucking rent on time, no problems.. and what do i  get?? I cant even enjoy my fucking dinner without a damn animal falling into my apartment

if it comes down to it and I'm in fear of this damn thing attacking me, which I doubt it will because I will call pest control if it falls in but worst case scenario, hypothetically speaking... what would be better for racoon, number 6 or number 3 shot?? I wont shoot buckshot in here because it will overpenetrate and I have neighbors with little kids in the other apartments
call code enforcement, buildings have to have no holes that will allow rodents and other animals to enter in most cities.

Pepper spray works on coons, not sure if it will be able to go out the hole though v. just running around in panic.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/urdefense_2177_29588332

Pepper grenade

This seems like a good idea.

(Also, bump for update)
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#48]
OP hasn't posted in ten hours.  Did he get eaten?
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 2:20:48 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

OP hasn't posted in ten hours.  Did he get eaten?

You're thinking of badgers.

Link Posted: 9/21/2011 2:29:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Mace in its face.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top