Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/9/2002 3:17:20 AM EDT
Damn it gets hot in Arizona! I spent last week out there. Thursday I was in Pheonix and it hit 110-111! Oh, I know its dry heat. Here's my brain after a day in that sun [whacko]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 3:45:28 AM EDT
[#1]
You think that's bad,try Florida.Last Monday in Jacksonville I measured 105 with 60% humidity.You literally can't breath.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 4:58:05 AM EDT
[#2]
We use air conditioning.  The dry heat makes evaporative cooling quite effective.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 5:30:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Do y'all boys in Aridzona actually use 'sump coolers', as we used to call them?

Evaporative units, with a big rolling fan, and using straw matting on three sides, sprayed by water?

That's how we survived in West Texas in the 50s and right up to the 70s!

Sounds primitive, but there were some nights I had to get up and turn down the fan, it got so cold!

Eric The(Wistful)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 5:46:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Yup  had two types on my house when I lived in Snobsdale, one swamp cooler the other a refrigerant system. But with all the canals and people moving from Kalli and back east, they all want green lawns and trees and such, so humidity has risen in the past few years.
Hell Phoenix is a desert!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 5:46:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Eric,

Yes, we use evaporative coolers here in the early part of the summer. It is so dry that the evaporative effect cools very well. Later in the summer, when we have what is known as the monsoon season, most people use refrigeration because the evap. coolers don't work very well.

I use refrigeration all summer. Most people with newer houses don't have evap. coolers.

Gary
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 5:49:54 AM EDT
[#6]
There's a reason that there were no large permanent tribes in Arizona that flourished.

Even the Indians knew you couldn't live there.

But through the miracles of modern science and a total dissipation of the Colorado River, it can now be done!

But God help you boys if there's a power failure!

Eric The(TalkAboutSHTF!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 5:58:37 AM EDT
[#7]
HEAT.........??????????

what heat..?

there was a cold front moved thru the area & it is only going to get up to 101 deg. today [:D]

where's my blankie.....?
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 6:58:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Seems New Mexico is not much better this year.  We've already hit the century mark at least 3 or 4 days that I know of.  We use swamp coolers, too.  Last night when I went to bed, it was 95 outside.  Turned the swamp cooler on "low" and sacked out.  When I woke up this morning, I was freezing my a$$ off.  Those swamp coolers work pretty good.  It's not even 9:00 am, and the temp is already in the 80's.  Looks like another hot one here.  We need RAIN!!  
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 7:06:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I guess it's all what ya get used to.
Although I live in Prescott ('bout 100 miles north of Phoenix @ 5000 ft elv.), it's usually 15-20 deg cooler.
There is something to say about "it's a dry heat".  I used to live in MN and KS and I found 85 degrees with 85% hum much worse than 95 degrees with 5% hum...
When I go to PHX to visit my sister in the summer I do have to admit - Damn! It's hot down there!!!  When my sister comes to Prescott from PHX she usually puts on sweater when it gets down to 80... go figger!
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 7:24:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I gotta agree with AZ-Sky. Being about 5000 ft. elev. keeps us about 10-15 degrees cooler than Tucson.
Ice cold beer helps, too.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 7:33:37 AM EDT
[#11]
So we started off early to get throught the desert between Arizona and Southern California, before long I was taking ICE out of the ICECHEST and putting it on my stomach right below my rip cage to cool down.  We made it through by NOON, but damn it was hot. Circa 1987. It was just tumble weed and cactus for as far as a person can see. But its still beautiful country.  Considering I had never been throught here before I was just soaking everything up except the sweat.

Ben
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 7:46:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do y'all boys in Aridzona actually use 'sump coolers', as we used to call them?

Evaporative units, with a big rolling fan, and using straw matting on three sides, sprayed by water?

That's how we survived in West Texas in the 50s and right up to the 70s!

Sounds primitive, but there were some nights I had to get up and turn down the fan, it got so cold!

Eric The(Wistful)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Swamp coolers, hey that is how I survived the Mojave Desert in Calif. for the first 16 years of my life. Its cheap and works very well.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 7:58:17 AM EDT
[#13]
We call this place "The Valley of The Sun",Surface of the Sun is more like it!
Personally I like the heat. Somehow ya just get used to it. From June-September it is kinda hot, but the rest of the time it's real sweeeeet! Swamp coolers rule. Also, it's not 110 every day it DOES cool down some. AB
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:00:13 AM EDT
[#14]
One of my friend in the service was from Scottsdale - he told of some setup that goes on the roof and keeps it wet.  What's the name of that?

Also, what's the name of that water bag that hangs on your bumper (lots of cars wouldn't be able to use it these days) and evaporation supposedly keeps the water cool?  Does it work?
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:12:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:17:51 AM EDT
[#16]
[b]Arizona, Hell's waiting room.[/b]

PRK,

The thing on the roof is an evaporative cooler (aka swamp cooler). I have no clue about the bag on the back of a car.

I only have a swamp cooler where I live, it does suck during the monsoon. (Never use "Monsoon" and the word "Season" together, i.e. "Monsoon Season". Monsoon translates to "Rainy Season" so "Monsoon Season" = "Rainy Season Season"). You get by with keeping a electric fan pointed on you at all times.

I don't go out much in the summer anymore. I get really reclusive, trying to keep cool. I used to only be active at night, sleep during the day. But the older I get, the more I just veg.

I really need to find someother place to move to. I am really missing 4 seasons (winter, spring, summer, fall). Lately, we only get summer and winter. Spring and Fall only last for a week or two.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:22:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There's a reason that there were no large permanent tribes in Arizona that flourished.

But through the miracles of modern science and a total dissipation of the Colorado River, it can now be done!

The Navajo nation is not large??  
The secret is cold beer...
Actually the Navajos will soon control the brown glass market worldwide...

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:23:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Navajo nation is not large??  
The secret is cold beer...
Actually the Navajos will soon control the brown glass market worldwide...

Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:03:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
One of my friend in the service was from Scottsdale - he told of some setup that goes on the roof and keeps it wet.  What's the name of that?

Also, what's the name of that water bag that hangs on your bumper (lots of cars wouldn't be able to use it these days) and evaporation supposedly keeps the water cool?  Does it work?
View Quote

The farmers used those evaporative cooling systems in the Imperial Valley for years. They lower the temp 20 degrees or so. People usually slept in the thing at night.

My dad had one of those "desert water bags". We used to use it when we went to the desert to launch model rockets. It really does help, but an ice chest is the way to go these days! :)
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:12:35 AM EDT
[#20]
I would rather have the 110 degree weather than freezing cold weather. The better question is how do you folks live in the snow.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:24:05 AM EDT
[#21]
OK, now I'm confused.  I thought I'd been wrong and the "swamp cooler" was an evaporative cooler that set inside the window or elsewhere in the living space.  Or is every evaporative cooler a "swamp cooler"?

Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:31:59 AM EDT
[#22]
... Heat is over rated. Indigenous people:

- Have supercharged A/C units on there homes that keep it steady 70 degrees inside

- Swimming pools with nice shade trees and cascading waterfalls.

- Misting systems

- A/C in the office

- A/C in the car and truck

- 20 ft. Ski Nautique usually on the lake

- Three hours from the cabin @ 7200' in the pines.

- A/C in out stores, gyms, movie theaters, bars.

... I love summers here, I love it even more about the second week in July. That roughly when the Monsoons hit Arizona. Wouldn't trade this State for any other in the union.
Wintertime here is the icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#23]
My guess is a swamp cooler is just one kind of evaporative cooler. Anything that cools by evaporation is an evaporative cooler.

My best friend had a swamp cooler in Montclair, down there by Ontario. This was maybe 1979. It worked okay for the most part, but not nearly as good as AC.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:40:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I would rather have the 110 degree weather than freezing cold weather. The better question is how do you folks live in the snow.
View Quote
I was scrolling through the thread gettin' ready to post just this very same comment.

I've had to work outside in zero to sub-zero weather. I'll take the heat over cold anytime.

Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:46:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
OK, now I'm confused.  I thought I'd been wrong and the "swamp cooler" was an evaporative cooler that set inside the window or elsewhere in the living space.  Or is every evaporative cooler a "swamp cooler"?

View Quote
YUP!!

Edited to add --- Evap is about 20% as costly as A/C.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Mmmmmmm, dry heat!
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 10:06:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
OK, now I'm confused. Or is every evaporative cooler a "swamp cooler"?

View Quote

Yes. AB
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I suppose we would plunder the neighboring states for fuel.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
i lived in new mexico for awhile (albuquerque)- and it aint got sh@t on these memphis summers!

of course, this has been a nice one so far, think its only hit about 98 with 100% humidity so far her...[}:D]
View Quote

I totally agree.  I was raised in Oklahoma, so I know about the humidity.  This heat is nothing compared to that.  I'm loving this!

I also agree with you guys about taking the heat over the cold.  I HATE cold.  Can't stand it!  I don't know how people live where there's snow on the ground most of the time.  No way will I ever live in a state like that.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#30]
I would reply on this but I am melting.
I love AZ and have only lived here for 5 years but I HATE the forkin heat.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
... Heat is over rated. Indigenous people:

- Have supercharged A/C units on there homes that keep it steady 70 degrees inside

- Swimming pools with nice shade trees and cascading waterfalls.

- Misting systems

- A/C in the office

- A/C in the car and truck

- 20 ft. Ski Nautique usually on the lake

- Three hours from the cabin @ 7200' in the pines.

- A/C in out stores, gyms, movie theaters, bars.

... I love summers here, I love it even more about the second week in July. That roughly when the Monsoons hit Arizona. Wouldn't trade this State for any other in the union.
Wintertime here is the icing on the cake.
View Quote

Couldn't have said it better myself. My ten year old son is playing basketball outside right now, about 95 outside. Shoots for a while, jumps in the pool and shoots some more.
The only thing I hate about summer is that it's a bit too hot at the outdoor range. So I mostly shoot handguns at the indoor range.

by the way, my wharehouse has 4 big industrial swamp coolers, it's about 75 degrees in there.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 11:35:13 AM EDT
[#32]
I just hit 100 here, but "it's early yet"...
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 11:46:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Had a nice Desert Shoot this morning. [^]

After 10yrs here, I can't imagine being back in North Central Texas with 100 degree heat and 95% humdity...Being at the BRC was a great reminder of that!!! [}:(]

But dear brother is winter ever so nice here [8D]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Nope, we're the only state allowed to do that as our official energy policy.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 11:53:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Nope, we're the only state allowed to do that as our official energy policy.
View Quote

What is truly genius about that energy policy is that you get to blame everyone except yourself for when it doesn't work.  Maybe Governor Davis isn't as much of an idiot as we all first thought.  Nah, sure he is.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 12:10:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Arizona gets to make tons of money off the California Energy Crises.  Right now there are four power plants in construction right next door to Palo Verde Nuclear Power Plant, and all that electricity is meant for California.  Most of Palo Verde's electricity goes to California currently.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 12:33:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Today, in Oklahoma the temp. is 85 and the heat index is 91.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Compared to the HUMIDITY of the BRC, I will take AZ heat any day.

Link Posted: 6/9/2002 1:11:11 PM EDT
[#39]
100 degrees here in New Mexico....humidity 14%....and there's a nice breeze, too!  [8D]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 1:20:40 PM EDT
[#40]
101 here now.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 1:35:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

========================================

let me help ya here my friend, the proper terminology is "evaporative cooler".......OK ??

the SLANG terminology is "swamp cooler", they get that name because if not properly maintained they get to smelling lyke a "swamp", or "fishy" & i have even smelled the faint aroma of a distant ocean !!!!!

Link Posted: 6/9/2002 1:43:35 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote

thats what genearots are for [:D]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 1:52:13 PM EDT
[#43]
I spent three years stationed in Yuma, Arizona. Not only did I have salt rings on my green tee shirts at the end of the day, but my safety boots used to get salt rings that would come right up through the Kiwi!

Yuma is the city in America with the most days every year over 90F. You just get used to it after a while, and learn to drink a lot of water. If your pee is anything but clear, you're dehydrating.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#44]
OK. I'm settling this [b]swamp[/b] vs. [b]evaporative cooler[/b] thing once and for all.

[b]Evaporative cooler[/b]:   Are used to [u]augment[/u] the air conditioning units on the homes of frugal dwellers.

[b]Swamp Cooler[/b]:   Primary cooling system for trailers in [b]Apache Junction[/b].
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Back down to 101..  Got higer but on the way down now...  swim swim
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 4:44:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Right now there are four power plants in construction right next door to Palo Verde Nuclear Power Plant, and all that electricity is meant for California.  Most of Palo Verde's electricity goes to California currently.  
View Quote
Those power plants aren't nuclear, are they? So the pollution they discharge is going into Arizona, isn't it?

Doesn't it make the citizens of Arizona mad that California is meeting it's energy needs by polluting another state?
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 5:14:30 PM EDT
[#47]
[size=4]Like I've said before...Give me HEAT...Give me HUMIDITY...but please do not give me cold weather. Anything below 50degrees is too damn cold.[/size=4]

We had great weather here in DFW, TX today. hi 80's with about 30% humidity. Wonderful!!!
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#48]
I lived in Houston and Northern Ohio when it was 100 with 95 percent humidity every summer.
That was not fun.

Prescott area is nice, but 90 degrees at 5000+ feet is pretty intense.

The sun beats down on you harder when your at altitude.

It looks like I'll be going to work for an Valley area agency in the next few months:

Just in time for 110 heat, dust storms and monsoons.

Whippie !!!!!!

Jay
[img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/iroc-cop.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 6:14:02 PM EDT
[#49]
When I went outside today to mow the front lawn in 100+ degrees, I realised what it's like to go from the air conditioned inside to the AZ outside.

It's like opening the door on a big pizza oven and putting your face up to it to look inside.

But not ever getting the pizza.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#50]
You get up early to go shooting also.

Anything after 11:00am, I change to the indoor range.

Swimming pools are a good thing.  [:D]

[b]WolfPack[/b] You would be a millionaire here!!  [;)]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top