BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#1]
1- Water. Drink lots of it, soak in a pool whenever you can

2- Get used to sweating when outside.. Deodorant, okay, antiperspirant, bad.

3- Swamp coolers work most of the year..Adding ice to window mounted units produces amazing results..

4- No AC in the ride? Pray for vent windows, and a tint job.(or hope you find one of the old automotive swamp coolers at a yard sale..)

5- Remind yourself, that when you get to hell ( for owning all those "evil black rifles", of course) it'll feel just like home..

And 6- When it becomes unbearable, head to Flagstaff, or Prescott..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Every day over 100 I take 3 aspirin in the morning. Its a blood thinner, and keeps your energy up. Lots of water.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:56:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll take the heat without humidity any day.
I'll take cold over hot too, you can always put more clothing on, but once you are in skivvies there is not much more to remove.
And untill you have been at the South Pole when it was -22F with a wind chill of -48 then you have not been in cold (been there, done that).
Oklahoma was humid miserable in the summer.
Here is a picture of a Desert Water bag.  My Dad used to keep two on the front of the Plymouth station wagon when we went to the Colorado River from LA or to Death Valley.
[img]http://www.suvone.com/waterbag.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.suvone.com/waterbag1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#5]
From an Arizona A/C technician.  Drink at least 3 to 4 large glasses of water before getting into shower in morning. And continue drinking water all day. May have one coke at lunch. Then drink beer when I get home. No coffee. Cafine will dehydrate you.

As for Evap. coolers. 230 volt coolers use less Amperage than 115 volt ones. And the 4 sided coolers are old style. Modern coolers are called Master Coolers. Master Coolers have one cardboard type filter. 8" to 12" thick. They produce cooler air. And you can get a Master Cooler with a Pre-Cooler attached to it.

The only down side to some A/C work. Is the dumb shit builders. Put residential package A/C's on the roof. They are now building newer homes with split A/C's. But some are putting the air handler in the attics. They are frickin stupid. It gets up to 160 degrees in the attic.

Anyway I love it here. Six year native.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 10:28:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'll take the heat without humidity any day.
I'll take cold over hot too, you can always put more clothing on, but once you are in skivvies there is not much more to remove.
View Quote
Finally a word of reason.I love it here in Kentucky the weather is great.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 10:43:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 4:03:34 AM EDT
[#8]
You people don't know what heat is!  I tell that to my friends here in FL.  Real heat is New York City, in late July, ON THE SUBWAY.  That's heat!
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:24:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would rather have the 110 degree weather than freezing cold weather. The better question is how do you folks live in the snow.
View Quote
I was scrolling through the thread gettin' ready to post just this very same comment.

I've had to work outside in zero to sub-zero weather. I'll take the heat over cold anytime.

View Quote

Me too, that is why I ended up in Arizona. When I was 19, I moved from NM to CO. Lived for a while in Greeley. The summer there was nasty. The temp. and humidity were both in the 90s. Then came winter. It isn't much fun getting out of bed when it is 25 below outside and the weather forecast says the daily high will be 10 below. I moved to Tempe, AZ when I just turned 21 and I haven't looked back.

Gary
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:33:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Wolfpack said: Dude, I'm in Las Vegas, your in Phoenix, I'll take Vegas anyday.

At least I can carry in a restraunt legally

But can you carry your AR concealed??  We can!!   We can even carry a broadsword concealed if we can stand the clothing to cover it in this heat...
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:45:59 AM EDT
[#11]
You tell him BIG.  We might pass out from wearing a trench coat, but we can conceal anything.

[:D]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:02:43 AM EDT
[#12]
How long has it been since we've had any rain?  Six months?  

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:59:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Well while in the USAF, I was stationed at Clark AB in the Philippines, Davis Monthan in Tucson, then Danang RVN.  After discharge I moved to Mesa.  This was in the early 70s.  The dry heat in Tucson and Mesa was much more comfortable than than the high 90s temps and humidity that existed in the other 2 locations.  Around the mid 70's, when I left AZ for Houston after graduation from ASU, Phoenix was hit by the big development boom.  All the big developers were puting in lakes, golf courses, grass on the lawns, and shrubbery from up North.  All the requisite watering increased the humidity to the point that summers are now a steam bath instead of a sauna.  If you've been in both you know the difference.  Phoenix in the summer is pretty close to Houston these days.  I haven't been to Tucson for a long time, but I would expect much of the same is happening.

They should have left the desert as a desert.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 1:07:47 PM EDT
[#14]
OK, I'm originally from Missouri-like a jungle in the summer, like the arctic in the winter. I prefer humidity over goddamn dry 120deg anytime. I would NEVER have moved here except for the close proximity of the high country (2 hrs). I'll be moving up to Flagstaff next July. I LOVE cold weather. I have a 4WD, and the sense to wear high tech cold weather clothing. Last deer season I spent a week at 7200ft and the temperature never got above 20deg. I have a 3 season tent. I loved it. Remember: in the summer, there's not much you can do to make yourself cooler. In the winter/cold weather, there's PLENTY you can do to adjust your comfort level. Those KMart and Wal-Mart insulated boots WILL NOT DO THE TRICK. I guess it also helps that I have a great woman that's worth enduring all this heat for. I'm not slamming your home state, AZ natives, but again, I'm a cold weather person. (I also have a pool in the back yard, it helps!)
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Arizona gets to make tons of money off the California Energy Crises.  Right now there are four power plants in construction right next door to Palo Verde Nuclear Power Plant, and all that electricity is meant for California.  Most of Palo Verde's electricity goes to California currently.  
View Quote

The CA state govt. has more money than brains. But now they just have no brains.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How long has it been since we've had any rain?  Six months?  

View Quote

Good question satcong, last wet stuff I remember was in November when we got a couple hours of snow here in Tucson. Kids got out of school like a national holiday. Haven't seen a drop since. This is the first time I can remember the prickly pear didn't bloom because of no water. Hope we get a good monsoon.

By the way I worked in Micronesia in the late 70s. Talk about brutal! Over 100 heat and about 90 humidity! 18 months of pure hell! That humidity just drains the life out of you. I'll take being a desert rat any day.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 1:35:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
And remember, you can't carry in a place that serves alcohol so leave your ninja stars in the car.
View Quote

In Arizona, I am allowed to do a beer-bong in my house, tuck an UZI inside my coat, sling an M16 over my shoulder, and walk around downtown during rush hour. This is good enough for me.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I was born in Glendale, AZ and lived there for 8 years.  One of my favorite pics of me is as a little boy standing next to a thermometer that read 120 degrees!  Now I am in South Florida, whose weather not only sucks but everything else sucks down here too.  Can't wait to move back to North Florida in August.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top