Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#1]

I did this and not another fucking word.  Life got right.

ETA it took 2 1/2 months for VA to write the letter.  I threatened to call a Senator and it arrived.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#2]
All you're asking for is a closer parking spot, and they want to give you the run around?  

Fuck them.  I would get a lawyer to write a letter to them if nothing else for the entertainment value.  What a bunch of assholes.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Just talk to HR as a human being before you go all ADA on them.  And tell them that you wanted to talk to them as a reasonable employee to get assistance before invoking the ADA.   They'd likely snap to for you.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 7:03:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just talk to HR as a human being before you go all ADA on them.  And tell them that you wanted to talk to them as a reasonable employee to get assistance before invoking the ADA.   They'd likely snap to for you.

What bothers me is the fact that this place sounds like it's gotten "too big for it's britches" and is incapable of solving things on a person to person basis.  

If they're giving someone shit for parking in a handicapped spot with a handicapped tag, someone needs their head removed from their ass, surgically if need be.

OPs post just reminded my why I would rather stick my dick in a garbage disposal before I would go to work for another corporate machine again.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Park in the spot. FK them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Time to GET SOME.

Lawyer up.

Well I want to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I did ask for a better chair, I was told go get one from

an empty cube so I went from crap to less crap.

I have to admit I had a thought flash into my mind I am truly ashamed to admit

All this BS made me for a moment regret my service. thankfully for just a moment.

I quickly remembered all you fine a holes and realized it was a good thing

Don't give them the benefit of the doubt. Most of the time when people are doing this kind of thing to someone. They are doing it because they enjoy watching guys like you suffer. They live to cause as much pain and chaos for people as possible.

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 7:29:34 PM EDT
[#7]

That'd be my first step, if they like to fuck with you the feds can fuck with them.  Hell ADA made all new stores lay down concrete bumps at entrances of stores so wheelchairs don't just roll out into the parking lot, for us non-handicap people its a pain in the ass to roll the carts over those.

If you follow the links that some posters have provided that you'll be parking closer to the entrance.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 7:32:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My company hired me with Full Knowledge that I have a Military
Service Connected Back Injury. and They Give me shit over it.

They act like I tried to conceal it when Every Step Of The Way I told
them about it because I take Prescription Pain Killers every 6 hrs.
(I was concerned it would show up in the drug screenings)

It's also kinda odd I would try to conceal it seeing  that the interview
was setup via a company dealing with placing handicap people.

I finally gave in and got a handicap tag so I can park closer than the 1/2 mile away
parking lot because i am in constant pain and the walk in was making it worse.

Then they say the tag is not good enough and I need a letter from my DR (So I get that).
Next they tell me that it is up to the site managers Opinion to decided if I need to park closer
(So his Opinion Overrules a Medical Doctors Findings).

So I get all the paperwork in order and he is on vacation and no one else can take care of it.

So I'm still parking a 1/2 mile away, and walking in, right past the Three empty handicap
spaces on the side of the building I work in, and am so much pain I can barely stand it

Fuuuuuuck, Just shoot me!

you should look up ADA laws they have to obey by those - they have no choice but to other wise they are in deep shit.

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990

ADA Laws

don't let them push you around with this again look up these laws they are very clear and they should follow those

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I highly doubt that any part of the ADA requires you to bring in a doctors note to park in a handicap spot when you already have the placard.

no way does he have to do this since his doctor has to provide proof for him to get this TAG.

just giving him a hard time

sorry OP that you have to go through this hopefully they come to there senses

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I would think that a state issued handicapped tag would take priority over what the company wants. State law says who can and can't park in a handicapped space, not the company.

This...

Park there. When they fire you let the lawyers have fun with them.

This ^2

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 7:40:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm pretty sure they are doing this because they are afraid of it being abused by employees. That said, it seems you've gone through enough hoops and should be able to park in the spot.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You're not "bitching and whining" over this, you're fucking counter attacking. Take the fight back to the shitheel responsible for this. Stand your ground and don't take any crap over it.

Right idea, wrong execution. Treat this as an ambush not a meeting engagement.

A boss of mine once described fighting these battles like this: "It's easier to drop a rock from above, than to push shit up a tree."

Taking it to the shitheel means you are basically asking him for permission. Fuck that. Take it 1-2 levels higher and he will be told to make it happen.

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Dude you need to man the fuck up and tell them to kiss your ass.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're not "bitching and whining" over this, you're fucking counter attacking. Take the fight back to the shitheel responsible for this. Stand your ground and don't take any crap over it.

A boss of mine once described fighting these battles like this: "It's easier to drop a rock from above, than to push shit up a tree."

Taking it to the shitheel means you are basically asking him for permission. Fuck that. Take it 1-2 levels higher and he will be told to make it happen.

Yes, you said it better than I did. Put him on the defensive and he will soon learn he has an untennable position on this thing.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I don't understand.  If you have a HC placard why can't you park in the HC spaces?  Aren't there laws that regulate that kind thing?  Who the F is the site manager and why does he have any say so about who is HC or not?  F them, give me their number, I'll call and tell them I'm your lawyer and that is they don't start treating you like that company treated George on Sienfeld then we're suing their bitch asses.

Seriously though, this kind of shit pisses me off.  There are so many assholes that have nothing wrong them that game the system that when somebody has a legit need (for HC spaces, govt aid of some sort, etc) nobody believes them.

This. If you have the card or even better the DP plates Park there and tell anyone who has a problem to FOAD. Tell them if they say 1 word about it again its ADA/lawyer time.

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No offense, but what does your "military connected" injury have to do with your civilian job?

You're broke, you have a handicap tag, your boss won't let you park in a handicap spot.....I don't see any reason to mention the military.

I may be an asshole––-go figure.  It does remind me of this dude I saw in front of a McDonalds with a "We're Hiring" sign––-the guy had a cardboard sign saying in caps––VETERAN, WILL WORK FOR FOOD.  ETA––I wish I had a camera.

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 10:13:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Get some crutches and hobble your way from your car to your desk.  Seriously.  Document EVERYThING even with pictures.

And tell them that you now need crutches because you must walk so far from your 'designated' parking spot.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 10:17:46 PM EDT
[#19]

I hate to have to go to HR and bitch and whine when I should not have to.

Don't go. Write.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 10:18:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get some crutches and hobble your way from your car to your desk.  Seriously.  Document EVERYThING even with pictures.

I was gonna suggest that he rent a wheelchair.  Bonus points if the company's attorney "overhears" him in the cafeteria complaining to a coworker about how he was under a Doctor's orders to limit his walking, but because his manager wouldn't let him use the handicapped spots even after he got a DMV placard he's now wheelchair bound...

... after the slip and fall he took when walking 1/2 mile from the parking lot!
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 10:27:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Take the above ada advice.  That company screwed the pooch big time.
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 1:50:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You mean all the advice that is absolutely wrong?

Read my posts on the previous page.  Then do a google search using every search variation you can think of.

Link Posted: 3/5/2011 1:52:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

you should look up ADA laws they have to obey by those - they have no choice but to other wise they are in deep shit.

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990

ADA Laws

don't let them push you around with this again look up these laws they are very clear and they should follow those

Negative.  Nowhere do ADA laws cover state issued handicap placards in EMPLOYEE parking lots.
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 2:10:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There comes a point where the media should be involved.

They tend to eat this up.

Boy, I'll say. Can I assume you don't fall into one of the categories of "protected" employees, i.e. protected because of your age, sexual preference, or race?

Link Posted: 3/5/2011 2:56:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean all the advice that is absolutely wrong?

Read my posts on the previous page.  Then do a google search using every search variation you can think of.

"Reasonable accommodation" is determined on a case by case basis.
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 3:08:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
WTF is wrong with my company.

The same thing that is wrong with my company........it's run by middle managers who are more concerned with their own selfish, self-serving motivations than the needs of their departments..........these middle managers respond to the executives who are totally and enthusiastically oblivious to what happens at the level of actual production or service.

These managers, directors, VP's and such just masturbate each other and then congratulate themselves on what they perceive to be an excellent performance.

I call it "Corporate Constipation"......it's bad!........and it has been honed into a fine art by those dweebs I couldn't stand 40 years ago in High School and College.

Next question?
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 3:57:02 AM EDT
[#27]
The handicapped parking spaces where I work are mostly used by people who are handicapped only because they are too fat.

After they park their minivan, they will unload some sort of cart or pull behind wagon loaded down with Sams size bags of candy, liters of coke, and all kinds of other crap and drag it in with them.

Link Posted: 3/5/2011 6:21:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Thank you everyone for the support

I had a call from a friend last night telling me to get my resume together for him
(called me not knowing about any of this and pretty much the first words out of his mouth).
So to the praying folks here, plaeas pray about that ans ir is a much better deal for me.

I've chewed on this and here is my plan of attack:

First of all a lil history:

My direct boss who is remote to me has been Very cool about this.
So I wrote His boss and told him a couple of weeks ago
(before all theis shit started) Telling His boss that while this has been
hard for me to deal with my boss has been great to me through it all.

Yesterday we had a client give my boss a ton of shit and he was telling
me about it late in the day yesterday in the end I said to my boss
"You have been the only one really cool to me about my back, Thank you"
He thank me for the e-mail I sent to his boss (first I knew he knew of it)

So it looks like I have an an "Friend" above me.

So the Plan:

Submit Dr's letter to site manager and hope
he uses his head and gets it take care of.

If Not

Write a polite e-mail to My boss, and CC His Boss, and HR on it.
Explaining how my boss has been very helpful and requesting that
they explain to the site manage the need I have to park closer.
As the pain I am dealing with is directly affecting my work
since it is a pit hard to concentrate while in such pain.

Then Pray my ass off for a new job

Link Posted: 3/5/2011 6:38:12 AM EDT
[#29]
I hate to have to go to HR and bitch and whine when I should not have to.
(and also because I have a feeling it will be used against me in the future).

That's what HR is for.  Use them.

And believe me, you really do want them to hold it against you.  Retaliation against a disabled employee?  Hostile work environment?  ADA violation?  EEOC violation?  It'll be Mr_Harry's company after that.
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 6:45:04 AM EDT
[#30]
In your letter to the site manager, be sure to use the words "reasonable accommodation" in your letter. Something like "Given the nature of my back pain and  the difficulty I have in walking longer distances, I believe parking in one of the nearby handicapped parking spaces would be a reasonable accommodation for my condition". The words "reasonable accommodation" is code for "I have looked into the ADA and know what the law requires you to do, so do not fuck with me".

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 7:04:27 AM EDT
[#31]
I don't understand something. If you park in the ADA spot, with your placard, what are they going to do?

Call the cops? Whats he going to do? You have the placard, your in the designated spot.

Have you towed? Your manager would really do that?

I'm no lawyer, just a contractor. I've had to deal with ADA laws before. A. its a nightmare sometimes to navigate through them.B. Most, if not all, places take ADA violations VERY seriously. Like lawsuit seriously.

I'd rat this motherfucker out to higher ups. They should be able to realize that theres a huge lawsuit on the horizon and reel him in ASAP!
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 7:15:53 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I finally gave in and got a handicap tag so I can park closer than the 1/2 mile away

Then they say the tag is not good enough and I need a letter from my DR (So I get that).

Next they tell me that it is up to the site managers Opinion to decided if I need to park closer

So I get all the paperwork in order and he is on vacation and no one else can take care of it.

So I'm still parking a 1/2 mile away, and walking in, right past the Three empty handicap

spaces on the side of the building I work in, and am so much pain I can barely stand it

Here's what you do.

The site manager is on vacation which won't last long.  Come in early until he get's off vacation so you can park close and avoid pain.

Have your HC parking paper work and Dr.'s note ready for when he get's back.

Rememeber that when he get's back from vacation he will need a day or two to get all kind's of thing in order.

After that, meet with him and show him the paperwork.  Also remember that he may not know about the red tape you dealt with.  Don't even bother to tell him about all that, just present the evidence for your need.

It is possible everyone you have dealt with is just stupid, but it is also possible that they are acting this way because of the behavior of past stupid employees who act like children when it comes to parking.

Believe it or not, a lot of people see those empty parking spaces and they want at them even if they don't have a need.  Your company may have all this red tape because it just want's to make sure that the spaces are saved for people that actually need them.  After all, there all there are only so many spaces up front.  The type of people who want those spaces and don't need them keep a steady eye on those spaces and just can't wait to complain if someone else get's a space that they can't outwardly see needs them.

In a day and an age where doctors give out fake excuses to union
picketers who claim to be teachers, the company may be trying to take
extra care that the spaces are properly allocated.

During WWII, my uncle was turned away from joining the military because he was blind in one eye.  In WWII there was a draft that grabbed able bodied men down to 18 and progressed to increased age requirements as the war went on.  This should have been a clue, that if you weren't in the military and you were young, it might not be because you were a draft dodger.  That didn't stop people from calling him a yellow draft dodger.

It's a fair bet that the hidden need you have will be troublesome to deal with around people who don't actually know you.

Hope this helps.  I'm in sales, management, engineering, child day care for adult employees, so I spend a great deal of time learning the dark side of employee management and figuring out customers so I can sell them things.

If you do it the way I suggest, and the person with authority is decent, your efforts will be recognized and will put you in good standing.  It will also help you in the future with that fear you have of this being used against you.  Everyone will notice the way you handled it which will give you ammunition to use in the future in case some other idiot comes along not knowing about your pain.

I think most people are way off base telling you to lawyer up and call the press and all that stupid shit.  It sounds like you wanted to vent.  That's done.  Now bide your time, follow the plan, adjust as necessary depending on success.  

Link Posted: 3/5/2011 7:19:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Tag for AAR.
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 7:21:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
look for another job

I think at this point that goes without saying

So what is your point? Don't play the victim.

Be different don't sue just find another job.
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 7:31:31 AM EDT
[#35]
I read the thread title and thought this was going to be about your abilities to do the job. Not the parking arrangements.

Are you trying to park in the custopmer lot instead of the employee lot?  Parking issues are something that should be addressed in your contract. As a known issue for you you should include that issue in your salary and benifits negotiations.
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 7:33:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Um, dude, as long as you have the handicapped placard on your rear view mirror they can't do shit.  

They can tow the car if its customer parking only.
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 8:27:48 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I dont get it..

you have a HC tag and they are not letting park in a HC spot ?

is this correct  ?

yeah if thats the case, he might get a nice payday.

Link Posted: 3/5/2011 10:10:42 AM EDT
[#38]
OP needs to shove the ADA up that local boss' ass. And needs to get right up the HR dept's to DO THEIR FUCKING JOBS.
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 10:20:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  The time for staying within the lines is OVER.

Link Posted: 3/5/2011 10:22:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
A Handicap placard is the only permission you need to use a Handicap space.  Your company has absolutely no authority to dictate whether you're "allowed" to park there if you have a placard.  Use those spots, and do it proudly.

If they breathe even one word about it otherwise, you will own that entire company by the time you're done.  Then you won't have to walk anywhere.  

This. You have the placard and that's all you need. Your employer has no say over who gets to park in the HC Spots. Every Parking Lot, Garage, etc. has to have them per the ADA. If your employer says you can't park there then make them notify you in writing. If they're stupid enough to do it then you will soon be enjoying a nice early retirement courtesy of your employer after you file an ADA suit against them. Most likely they'll back down though. ADA Suits are not something an employer wants. Especially from a disabled veteran.
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 10:26:26 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was gonna suggest that he rent a wheelchair.  Bonus points if the company's attorney "overhears" him in the cafeteria complaining to a coworker about how he was under a Doctor's orders to limit his walking, but because his manager wouldn't let him use the handicapped spots even after he got a DMV placard he's now wheelchair bound...

You are good.

Like...picking you first to be on the team kinda good.

Link Posted: 3/5/2011 10:29:52 AM EDT
[#42]
They might have hired you under the assumption that your disabilities would not affect your job duties.  Applying for a handicap spot because you can't walk from the normal employee parking area may be an indicator to them that there's additional issues that need to be dealt with.

After reading closer, it does sound like they're just giving you the runaround.
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 10:32:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Brother I'm like you. Although I'm 80% service connected (IED & 2 suicide bombers) with no missing limbs, but a jacked up back, chronic headaches and some shrapnel, I tend to suck it up as well. But the minute I ask for help with a task because of it (which isn't very often), I get a heap load of shit... And I work for the VA. Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:21:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Any Updates?
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 8:51:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Any Updates?

Update:  So far so good, playing the waiting game,
because it has to now go through security.

On a good note: the manager who I expected to be a
problem was not (well at least he acted decent about it)

Maybe they figure it would be nice to cut me some slack.

So for now I'm just relieved, still not parking closer,
but at least I did not catch grief over it all.

Link Posted: 3/8/2011 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm being told that because it is private property I have
to get permission to come "on site" with my POV.
(Ok I understand, but damn no one else can help).

I guess I'll have to see what next weeks brings.

Either parking closer the easy way or I'll just go
to my (and his) big boss and present my case.

First, thank you for your service.  It's too bad you have to put with this shit.

Secondly, why do you keep ignoring what people here are telling you over and over?

PARK IN THE GD HC SPACES!
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 11:04:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Handicap spots are legislated and required.  They cannot deny you the ability to park there if you have a plackard, else every other business wouldn't have a handicap spot (but they all do).

The ADA is pretty darn clear about this, and you could easily file a suit if they try to deny you the ability to park there.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Before you lawyer up...

Write a certified letter to the company's HR department, detailing every step of your problem with this company.

A CL is the first step in a legal fight. They will take it seriously.

Agreed, your company is working their way to an HR nightmare/ Lawyers dream.

Link Posted: 3/8/2011 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Total BS man

Thanks for serving, I hate you were injured in doing so
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:13:59 AM EDT
[#50]
FINALLY!

It got approved, I called HR and they had me call the security office
directly. HR also questioned why this took so long and why when the
Mgr went on vacation he did have a secondary person to take care of it.

Thank you everyone for the encouragement.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top