Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/26/2010 5:44:38 AM EDT
..... Or was there something going on that we're not aware of?

In his book "Rogue Warrior", he lists some of the goodies that were being delivered to SEAL Team 6's headquarters when they were first formed. One of the items listed was.... "Stainless steel Ruger Mini-14's".

Discuss.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:47:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Gotta remember when this happened. SS Mini-14's were pretty high-speed back in the early '80's not to mention that ol' Bill Ruger probably gave them to ST6 for free.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:47:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Some US Marine Embassy Guards carried the Mini-14 back in the day too.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:50:16 AM EDT
[#3]
They could probably get anything they wanted to try out but that doesn't mean they were actually used in anything other than training.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:53:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I seem to remember in the 80s, the AR-15/M-16 still had a bad rap.  Like the 1911.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:53:45 AM EDT
[#5]
They had alot of descretionary funds to get what they wanted.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:53:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I can remember my SEAL buds making a big deal (not in a good way) about having to give up their M16A1s (FA) for A2s (burst).

M4?  What's that?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:54:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

They could probably get anything they wanted to or try out but that doesn't mean they were actually used in anything other than training.

This.
Speed

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:58:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm sure they could have gotten them.

SS Mini 14 would be a decent boat rifle...corrosion resistance, reliable enough, accurate enough for closer ranges, put a folding stock on it for overall smaller size...I could see it maybe.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:59:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I suspect true, I got to look in the back of his Ryder truck at China Lake Naval Base many years ago on an unannounced exercise.   Holy crap !

He had EVERYTHING in that truck.  I did not see the mini's, but the S&W .357's were there.  Instead of LAW rockets he had RAW rockets and swedish handgrenades, custom .45's. etc etc.

They seem to favor a cut down version of the Stoner LMG rather than a M249.   Crazy MF's, certifiable with a capitol "C".  (That's another story)

Glad they are on our side.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:00:22 AM EDT
[#10]
If I remember correctly, there is also a picture in Rogue Warrior of a Seal Team Six member storming a ship with a S&W 686 in hand.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:05:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm also gonna go with true.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:40:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

In his book "Rogue Warrior", he lists some of the goodies that were being delivered to SEAL Team 6's headquarters when they were first formed. One of the items listed was.... "Stainless steel Ruger Mini-14's".

Discuss.

Back in the day, guns and tactics weren't like we see today.

Semi-auto pistols were FMJ only and finicky. You had to them off to smiths to work well. The revolver was still king for most folks. Sure the military went with a semi-auto pistol but remember. A pistol in the military is a secondary arm. But for Spec-Ops a pistol might be the only offensive weapon that could do the job. Hence they were big on the S&W 686. The French Special Forces were big fans of the S&W 686 also.

M16A1s were pretty much it. If you wanted a compact rifle it was a M1 Carbine with a folding stock, AK-47 with a folding ot underfoler stock, or a Mini-14 with a folding stock. The only other 5.56x45mm rifle in town other then the Ruger Mini-14 was the HK33/53/93 series and the Armalite AR-18. Yeah, AUGs hit the market but they weren't common then.... just like they aren't common now.

If they wanted a small, compact rifle that can do the job for CQB stuff it would be a Mini-14. Also tactics of then aren't like the stuff of today.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:46:34 AM EDT
[#13]
He wrote the Book around 1990 I believe, I don't see why he'd lie

They used SS S&W Model 66's so it's plausable that they considered a SS rifle for corrossion resistance also
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:52:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Discuss.

Give me a couple of days and i can find out for sure. A very good friend of mine, John Weisman was the actual author of that book.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:12:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Discuss.

Give me a couple of days and i can find out for sure. A very good friend of mine, John Weisman was the actual author of that book.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:18:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Loved that book when it came out..gonna have to get a copy and reread it...over the top fun stuff
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:24:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Hey, if they were good enough for the A-Team, they should be good enough for a SEAL team.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:37:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Marcinko...with a "k". Pronounced Mar-sink-o. Not Mar-chink-o. He hates that.

I've always wondered if he put the goofy, finger on the trigger, Charlie's Angles posed, pics on the covers of his books on purpose or he really handled firearms in that manner...Lord hope it be the former.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:44:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Finger off the trigger wasn't really en vogue until the late 90s.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:14:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Unodir, I think i will have to re read Rogue Warrior
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:25:35 AM EDT
[#21]
I met him and got my copy of Rouge Warrior signed at the PX at Ft Hood in 92.

I might have to break it out and read it again after reading this thread.....
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:30:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:45:52 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Unless you're OBE
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:53:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Loved that book when it came out..gonna have to get a copy and reread it...over the top fun stuff

That whole series was good cheesy fun. Should hit the used book store and see if I can find them again. And I need some new Niven, Pournelle, Heinlen and maybe a copy of Dante's "Inferno" as well.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:53:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless you're OBE

I still get weird looks when I describe a situation as TARFU, most folks have never heard that one.

ETA: and I still want an Emerson CQC-6, just because I read about it in his book.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:00:05 AM EDT
[#26]
There are also some photos in the book of them doing something with boats
and some dudes have what look like suppressed mac-10s.

Not exactly mp5s.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I read and have rogue warrior and his leadership book.

His fictional" rogue warrior" series is the most self-masturbatory crock i've ever read. As hardcore as the man is in real life, I can't figure out why he felt the need to write himself as a pointlessly over the top character in the story. Working a job for kim jong il, seriously?

Oh, and about the ss s&ws. He stated they used them for waterborne ops due to the corosion resistance. For everything else they had semi autos.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:05:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

His fictional" rogue warrior" series is the most self-masturbatory crock i've ever read. As hardcore as the man is in real life, I can't figure out why he felt the need to write himself as a pointlessly over the top character in the story. Working a job for kim jong il, seriously?

Oh, and about the ss s&ws. He stated they used them for waterborne ops due to the corosion resistance. For everything else they had semi autos.

$$$$$$$$$$
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That whole series was good cheesy fun. Should hit the used book store and see if I can find them again. And I need some new Niven, Pournelle, Heinlen and maybe a copy of Dante's "Inferno" as well.
You should read the Niven/Pournelle version of Dante's Inferno.  I believe it is simply called Inferno.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:12:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You should read the Niven/Pournelle version of Dante's Inferno.  I believe it is simply called Inferno.  

I will seek it out. "N-Space" is awesome as well. It's a collection of short stories and essays. Great book.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:17:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Two things he wasnt lying about back then, index cards make excellent targets and muslim terrorists would be our next big problem.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:19:31 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Because larger than life characters are part of what sells those types of books.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:23:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Also that the .357 Magnum was the only thing they could use to punch though some outboard engines.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:24:33 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because larger than life characters are part of what sells those types of books.  
According to some old-timers from the SEAL community, that all fits with his personality.  It's said he surrounded himself with people that did nothing but stroke his ego.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:25:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Two things he wasnt lying about back then, index cards make excellent targets and muslim terrorists would be our next big problem.

Dumb as it seems, he was one of the first people I thought of on 911.

Also, they had him on the news a few times in the days following the attack.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:25:44 AM EDT
[#36]
I don't really care if he did add some falsehoods to sell books, he still is a great aurthor.
I'd give a lot to shake his hand and he's the reasons there's a Emerson CQB 8 in my pocket right now

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:25:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Finger off the trigger wasn't really en vogue until the late 90s.  

Where do you guys get this stuff?  Read it somewhere on the Internet????

By first hand knowledge the finger off the trigger was taught at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center prior to 1985!
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:28:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:30:10 AM EDT
[#39]
TX DPS had mini-14's for a while lots of state AGENCIES had the ac556 or whatever the hell ruger called the fun mini-14
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:32:39 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dumb as it seems, he was one of the first people I thought of on 911.

Also, they had him on the news a few times in the days following the attack.

He was the first one I know of to beat that drum over and over.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:38:18 AM EDT
[#41]
What all was false in his book?  Read it for entertainment awhile back, but I knew before I grabbed it that there was a lot of falsehoods in it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:41:53 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

What all was false in his book? Read it for entertainment awhile back, but I knew before I grabbed it that there was a lot of falsehoods in it.

In Rogue Warrior? Other than he was innocent I dont think he was lying about the other stuff, exaggeration doesnt make it a falsehood.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:42:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:43:08 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

exactly. It's over the top. It's the same reason I love watching A Team reruns.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:44:30 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

There are also some photos in the book of them doing something with boats

and some dudes have what look like suppressed mac-10s.

Not exactly mp5s.

When the MAC-10 was developed in the 60's along with its silencer, it was pretty revolutionary.  MP5s (and cans for them) didn't start getting popular until much later.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:45:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Demo Dick has no reason to lie, they could use whatever they wanted I'm sure...
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:52:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I suspect true, I got to look in the back of his Ryder truck at China Lake Naval Base many years ago on an unannounced exercise.   Holy crap !

He had EVERYTHING in that truck.  I did not see the mini's, but the S&W .357's were there.  Instead of LAW rockets he had RAW rockets and swedish handgrenades, custom .45's. etc etc.

They seem to favor a cut down version of the Stoner LMG rather than a M249.   Crazy MF's, certifiable with a capitol "C".  (That's another story)

Glad they are on our side.

I would have loved to have seen that.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:57:18 AM EDT
[#48]
I enjoy reading his books.  The Rogue Warrior series is good entertainment.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:19:00 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless you're OBE

I still get weird looks when I describe a situation as TARFU, most folks have never heard that one.

ETA: and I still want an Emerson CQC-6, just because I read about it in his book.

I had one. Most useless knife I've ever owned. Emerson sold the world on the bull shit single side grind and it sucks balls.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:26:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Hey guys, Marcinko  didn't exactly write the book. John Weisman wrote the original in collaboration with Dick and the rest of the 9 book series was all Weisman.

John's prior work includes the nine book Rogue Warrior series, with more than two million copies in print. The first, Rogue Warrior, the real-life story of Commander Richard Marcinko and the US Navy's elite counterterrorism unit, SEAL Team Six, spent eight months on the New York Times nonfiction best-seller list, four weeks at the #1 position. Rogue Warrior was the subject of a Mike Wallace 60 Minutes segment. John subsequently conceived, created, developed, and wrote Rogue Warrior's eight fictional sequels.

Link
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top