Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:41:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
A very good friend of mine, John Weisman was the actual author of that book.

Why don't I know anyone cool like that?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Loved that book when it came out..gonna have to get a copy and reread it...over the top fun stuff

I still have the original hardcover. GREAT read.

Man, those fuckers have the most fun of anyone in the Navy.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I ask the question not because I think he was full of it, but because in light of all the bad rap the Mini gets, I found it interesting that Marcinco would choose them for his Team.

Obviously corrosion resistance was a factor. Same with the S&W's (which I've been on the prowl for ever since I read the book). I just remember reading that every time the Mini gets bashed.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some US Marine Embassy Guards carried the Mini-14 back in the day too.

No, it's true, they were in the inventory at some embassies, but I don't know if they belonged to State or the MSG BN.

I have read/heard that Marcinko took some liberties with his exploits in Rogue Warrior, though I don't think there is any doubt he was a bad motherfucker, and I can't see any reason to doubt his claims they had stainless Minis seeing as how their use of the stainless S&W 66s is documented.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:04:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I ask the question not because I think he was full of it, but because in light of all the bad rap the Mini gets, I found it interesting that Marcinco would choose them for his Team.

Obviously corrosion resistance was a factor. Same with the S&W's (which I've been on the prowl for ever since I read the book). I just remember reading that every time the Mini gets bashed.
One thing to remember is that they were using AC556Ks NOT ( technically ) Mini 14s.  It was a different beast, developed for Mil and LE contracts.  As I recall, the AC556 was a pretty decent weapon.  Not my bag of cheese but a pretty good performer at the end of the day.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:11:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They were State Department weapons.

The ones I handled had a folding stock, pistol grip and very short barrel with flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:17:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Call BS all you want, it just publicly shows that you don't know what the fuck you are talking about, and you aren't shy about proving it.

The embassy guards in that era purposely avoided "military issue" weapons, at least at certain locations.  The big three odd balls were Mini-14, Uzi and .357 magnum revolvers.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:20:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I need some new Niven, Pournelle, Heinlen and maybe a copy of Dante's "Inferno" as well.

You should read the Niven/Pournelle version of Dante's Inferno.  I believe it is simply called Inferno.  

There's a sequel to that now.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:20:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not bullshit.

Mini-14 was a standard State Department weapon.

I received a weapons class on them at MSG school and FAM fired them too.

None of the posts I served at had them, but I have buddies that had them at their posts.

I was an MSG from '87-'89.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:24:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Two things he wasnt lying about back then, index cards make excellent targets and muslim terrorists would be our next big problem.

Dumb as it seems, he was one of the first people I thought of on 911.

Also, they had him on the news a few times in the days following the attack.

I paid for myself and a few customers for a "Night with Dick Marcinko," probably 15 years ago, or whenever Rogue Warrior was released. He spoke in Houston for a couple of hours about global terrorism, and then folowed it with a meet and greet and cocktails at a private book signing. A really great evening and yeah, he sure hammered home the then ignored threat of Muslim fanatacism. Quite ahead of the curve, for sure.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:28:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I could have bought a transferable AC556 in 1993 for $1200, but I passed because I was poor.  I should have sold my body or something to buy that gun.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:34:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:52:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's true, they were in the inventory at some embassies, but I don't know if they belonged to State or the MSG BN.

Again

Show me a Marine standing guard at an embassy with a Mini-14.

The rifles were never accepted by the military and they sure as hell wouldn't be issuing to Marines guarding embassies that that :
1) was never tested & accepted
2) has ZERO support in the logistics system
3) the Marines have never received training on.

They learned 2 & 3 the hard way in Vietnam - no way they would repeat those errors.

ETA:  I see several posters mention 'State Department'.  So is the State Department provind the Marines their kit & weapons when serving at Embasies rather than the USMC?

US Marine Embassy Guards were issued  non-US military weapons as a requirement at some postings.  Mini-14s, 9mm Uzis, .357 magnum/.38 special  revolvers.  Training was conducted at MSG School.  There are people in this thread telling you because they saw them in person while on duty and you still won't believe it.

Page 135 in this link

ETA: page 134
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:55:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not bullshit.

Mini-14 was a standard State Department weapon.

I received a weapons class on them at MSG school and FAM fired them too.

None of the posts I served at had them, but I have buddies that had them at their posts.

I was an MSG from '87-'89.
As a little kid, I remember seeing state department security personal on TV in some south american country with AC-556s.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:56:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I have not read the book since it came out, but I seem to remember him describing it as the "ubiquitous" mini 14, and that part of why it was chosen was for helping to not be obviously US armed forces while on a mission and plausible deniability afterwards.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:58:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:59:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:03:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Loved that book when it came out..gonna have to get a copy and reread it...over the top fun stuff

That whole series was good cheesy fun. Should hit the used book store and see if I can find them again. And I need some new Niven, Pournelle, Heinlen and maybe a copy of Dante's "Inferno" as well.
You should read the Niven/Pournelle version of Dante's Inferno.  I believe it is simply called Inferno.  

Fantastic book. Also a followup written to that book called "Escape From Hell" where Allen goes back down. Same authors...

edit - seems other people have seen the followup too, and i was teh late
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:04:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again

The rifles were never accepted by the military and they sure as hell wouldn't be issuing to Marines guarding embassies that that :

They learned 2 & 3 the hard way in Vietnam - no way they would repeat those errors.

ETA:  I see several posters mention 'State Department'.  So is the State Department provind the Marines their kit & weapons when serving at Embasies rather than the USMC?

You should stop while you're behind on this one Forest.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:05:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again

US Marine Embassy Guards were issued  non-US military weapons as a requirement at some postings.  Mini-14s, 9mm Uzis, .357 magnum revolvers.  Training was conducted at MSG School.  There are people in this thread telling you because they saw them in person while on duty and you still won't believe it.

Page 135 in this link

I would just be quiet now
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:06:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:18:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know me  

But you have almost 90,000 posts on an internet board. That's the exact opposite of "cool."
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:31:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:38:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:41:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I can start posting all the carbine classes I've been to, that seems to be the requirement some places....

They let short, squat antarctic wildlife attend those?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Anybody got a copy of that book who can scan a page or two around that quote?  I can't find mine.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Years ago (mid 90's) I met Marcinko in the baggage claim area in an airport in DC. I asked him about their choice of Model 66's. He told me it was for corrosion resistance and for reliability after coming out of the water combined with a caliber that could do the job. At the time it made sense to me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
There are also some photos in the book of them doing something with boats
and some dudes have what look like suppressed mac-10s.

Not exactly mp5s.

When the MAC-10 was developed in the 60's along with its silencer, it was pretty revolutionary.  MP5s (and cans for them) didn't start getting popular until much later.

Look up HK project 64 and you will learn something about the MP5.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Years ago I was at my favorite watering hole and the seals were apparently having some kind of reunion that day and gathered at the same bar for drinks.  I was at the pool table and said "hey, is that Paul Mitchell."  Somebody smacked me in the back of the head and said that's Dick Marcinko you dumbass.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:44:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Gotta remember when this happened. SS Mini-14's were pretty high-speed back in the early '80's not to mention that ol' Bill Ruger probably gave them to ST6 for free.

this, in the 80s minis were the shit.. you can thank the A-team for that
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:48:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Also that the .357 Magnum was the only thing they could use to punch though some outboard engines.

5.56mm and 12ga slugs both do the job just fine....

Personally, I prefer .50 and 25mm

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:58:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:10:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Years ago (mid 90's) I met Marcinko in the baggage claim area in an airport in DC. I asked him about their choice of Model 66's. He told me it was for corrosion resistance and for reliability after coming out of the water combined with a caliber that could do the job. At the time it made sense to me.

After the Model 66's went away, the SEAL teams got 686's. They were in use until a few years ago.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:16:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Not to hijack, but, why in the world would they do that?

Are you sure they weren't M14's?

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:40:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

That whole series was good cheesy fun. Should hit the used book store and see if I can find them again. And I need some new Niven, Pournelle, Heinlen and maybe a copy of Dante's "Inferno" as well.

This! One of my favorite books and they are both terrific authors. I wish they make "Mote in God's Eye" into a movie, and not fuck it up in the process.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:56:52 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I need some new Niven, Pournelle, Heinlen and maybe a copy of Dante's "Inferno" as well.

You should read the Niven/Pournelle version of Dante's Inferno. I believe it is simply called Inferno.

There's a sequel to that now.

I didn't know that.  I will check into it.  Thanks.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again

US Marine Embassy Guards were issued  non-US military weapons as a requirement at some postings.  Mini-14s, 9mm Uzis, .357 magnum/.38 special  revolvers.  Training was conducted at MSG School.  There are people in this thread telling you because they saw them in person while on duty and you still won't believe it.

Page 135 in this link

Thank you for the link & info.  I stand corrected.

Classy.

Seriously.

There is always something new to learn.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Years ago I was at my favorite watering hole and the seals were apparently having some kind of reunion that day and gathered at the same bar for drinks.  I was at the pool table and said "hey, is that Paul Mitchell."  Somebody smacked me in the back of the head and said that's Dick Marcinko you dumbass.

I fucking LOL'ed.
I used to think that too.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:15:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Dick Marcinko also has a line of tactical salon hair care products.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:17:24 PM EDT
[#41]
After reading CAPT Gormleys Combat Swimmer, I'm inclined to take anything Marcinko-related with a grain of salt or three.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:19:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You know me  

Wow, how great am I?, I know John and you . Knowing you contributes more than knowing John....just saying.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:25:38 PM EDT
[#43]
I have met Dick Marcinko on many occasions and had a few candid discussions with him about his experiences in the Teams and the book Rogue Warrior.  I found him to be exceptionally honest and straight forward.  He answered all my questions without hesitation.  

My last conversation with him was back in early 2000 or 2001 I think.  I saw him a few years ago at SHOT Orlando.  I didn't recognize him as he was much older and looked more frail than I had ever seen him.  He saw me walking by and stopped me by grabbing my girly arm with his massive ham hands.  He remembered me and asked me how I was doing and what I was up to lately.  He was still the same confident Demo Dick Marcinko.  

This pic was taken in '98 I think, after our second or third get together.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:33:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
After reading CAPT Gormleys Combat Swimmer, I'm inclined to take anything Marcinko-related with a grain of salt or three.

I read that book.

There are a lot of books that cast doubt on Marcinko's accounts, but I'm just a guy who reads books.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I read that book.

There are a lot of books that cast doubt on Marcinko's accounts, but I'm just a guy who reads books.

Yep, same.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I read that book.

Yep, same.

Gormley's book was an awesome read, and I do recommend it to all.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:05:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
What all was false in his book? Read it for entertainment awhile back, but I knew before I grabbed it that there was a lot of falsehoods in it.

In Rogue Warrior? Other than he was innocent I dont think he was lying about the other stuff, exaggeration doesnt make it a falsehood.

I know a former Capt (EOD)that knew Demo Dick from the Navy.  He confirmed that he was guilty.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again

Wow, guess it was all a hallucination when I received training on and fired the mini-14 in Embassy Guard school.

Guess my buddies that had them at their posts were hallucinating too.

Edit:  I see where Forest said he stands corrected.  Thanks,  I was getting ready to dig out my weapons qual page (old school hard copy) from my SRB showing I FAM fired the mini-14.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:14:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again

Wow, guess it was all a hallucination when I received training on and fired the mimi-14 in Embassy Guard school.

Guess my buddies that had them at their posts were hallucinating too.

Up until 2 years ago MCESG and the MSGs' weapons were provided by DOS.  Now, they only provide M870s and a few other special weapons with the MSGs' M4s and M9s coming from Marine Corps.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:20:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to hijack, but, why in the world would they do that?

Are you sure they weren't M14's?

Not M-14s   Mini-14s(possibly AC-556, but I always heard them referred to as mini-14)

State Department Weapon.  When I was on MSG duty our weapons were provided by the State Department.  Don't know what the MOU (memorandum of understanding) between the Corps and Dept of State says today on the subject.

We also had 9mm Uzi, S&W model 19 4" .357 (carried .38 special 125 gr +P Nyclad hollow points) 870 shotguns (some folders, some solid stock)

This was in 1987-1989 time frame.

Edit:  I see R0N posted about the current agreement on weapons between Dept of State and the Corps.

Please excuse the temporary hijack, but had to weigh in on the BS flag being thrown when I had personal experience with it.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top