Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/25/2010 8:14:27 PM EDT
A while back a girlfriend and I took our kids to the duck ponds to feed the ducks. After a while, we noticed they were feeding a family of beavers. It was so cute because they were very docile and would reach out and take the bread almost politely. There was a man there fishing and we noticed he kept looking at the kids and then back at us. Finally, we walked over and asked if he'd caught anything...just making conversation. He said, "Lady, you don't mind your kids doing that?" I said, "What, feeding the beavers?" He looked really strange and said, "Lady, are you from Texas?" I answered, "Yes" Still looking confused, he said, "Have you ever seen a beaver in Texas before?" I thought about it for a second and replied that I had not. He said, "Well you haven't today either....your kids are feeding nutra rats!" I screamed at them to load up! I left there feeling like white trash. LOL So, are there beavers in Texas?
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:15:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#2]
yes there are plenty of beavers in Texas.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I've heard they're bigger there.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:16:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Both live in Texas waters.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:18:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I have seen some pretty big beavers.

Maybe they were just big.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Nutria:

I could post a picture of a beaver, but I'm afraid it would get me banned
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nutria:

http://www.pinebarrensanimals.com/web_images/pix1/nutria1.jpg

I could post a picture of a beaver, but I'm afraid it would get me banned

That's a water possum!!

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I know beavers have flat tails, but these things were partly submerged and kind of hanging on a log.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Some really nice ones at the Cowboys game tonight!
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:22:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I am from FL and have visited TX many times. There are some very nice beavers in that area. I am always amazed at the variety yellow headed beavers when I go to training classes in Dallas. Good Luck and be prepared  !
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Yup, I've shot a couple here in Tarrant Co.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:23:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Midwest girls are typically bigger so the beavers follow suit
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:23:46 PM EDT
[#13]
On a side note... Nutria Rat tastes amazing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:24:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I know beavers have flat tails, but these things were partly submerged and kind of hanging on a log.

my guess is they were nutrias
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am from FL and have visited TX many times. There are some very nice beavers in that area. I am always amazed at the variety yellow headed beavers when I go to training classes in Dallas. Good Luck and be prepared  !

Besides beavers in Texas there are some nice squirrels to shoot too.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Love me some beaver......
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:26:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Plenty of beaver in Texas.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:27:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Is it better than baby seal?

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:27:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You're kidding right? I thought those things carried diseases. I've eaten squirrel, birds, rabbit, deer, hogs, alligator, frogs, octopuss, fish, goat, etc. I will never eat one of those...YUCK

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:29:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I've heard they're bigger there.

Oh man... you have no idea!   EVERYTHING IS BIGGER IN TEXAS!  (I'm talking about da bugs, weeds, mosquitoes, cockroaches, ...and yes, the beavers too...)
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:29:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Big beavers can be rebushed.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're kidding right? I thought those things carried diseases. I've eaten squirrel, birds, rabbit, deer, hogs, alligator, frogs, octopuss, fish, goat, etc. I will never eat one of those...YUCK

Nutria Rat under glass is a delicacy around some campfires.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uummm. No. They are very healthy animals. They feed on plant shoots and grasses so they taste sweet. The meat is very lean.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:33:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it better than baby seal?

Much better, less fat and puppy eyes before you slaughter them.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:34:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes. Had some on my stock tank a while back.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Hell, we even have beavers here in Louisiana.

And now y'all are apparently getting our nutria.

You're welcome!

LC
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Uummm. No. They are very healthy animals. They feed on plant shoots and grasses so they taste sweet. The meat is very lean.

I seem to recall a girlfriend like that.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:35:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yall are pulling my leg. If they were any good, I'm sure they would have ended up in a pot of something...my dad is from Alabama and they'll eat anything.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:36:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I used to be a beaver wrangler up Canada way when I was young. Not those little tame beavers either. Big wild ones.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:37:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yall are pulling my leg. If they were any good, I'm sure they would have ended up in a pot of something...my dad is from Alabama and they'll eat anything.

Thee was a dinner pic about a year ago where a member cooked one whole. Try it, its good.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:37:47 PM EDT
[#32]
There most certainly are beavers in Texas.  Approximately 12 less because of me, but i'm sure others are still around.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#33]
I read OP's comment and started laughing! Nutria!!!! LOL

I heard they taste like Possum or Porcupine's!!??
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:39:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard this...But....I like my beavers bushless...

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:42:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Who the heck is eating possum and porcupines? I thought I was country....but OMG!

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:45:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The rebushing procedure to which I refer has nothing to do with outer follicles associated with the exterior of the beaver, but instead the internal tolerances of said beaver and returning those dimensions to a tighter fit.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who the heck is eating possum and porcupines? I thought I was country....but OMG!

so you have never had wild hog brains? Squirrel brains? Alligator Gar? Crow?
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
There most certainly are beavers in Texas.  Approximately 12 less because of me, but i'm sure others are still around.

I haven't ever killed a beaver, but I have punished a few.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:47:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The rebushing procedure to which I refer has nothing to do with outer follicles associated with the exterior of the beaver, but instead the internal tolerances of said beaver and returning those dimensions to a tighter fit.

I believe what you're referring to are known as "Hindu Wedding Beavers"

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:49:30 PM EDT
[#40]
When I worked maintenance at Schlitterbahn, I found a beaver (not that kind of beaver, pervs ) in one of our river water tanks. I helped get him out and never saw him again.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:50:15 PM EDT
[#41]
this thread is awesome!

- Clint
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe what you're referring to are known as "Hindu Wedding Beavers"

Isn't there a chapter in the Kama Sutra about the infamous "Hindu Wedding Beaver"?

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#43]
I shot a bunch of beavers in Texas. In fact I have shot 2 with my bow and untold numbers with a .22.

They are vermin and shot on sight.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
When I worked maintenance at Schlitterbahn, I found a beaver (not that kind of beaver, pervs ) in one of our river water tanks. I helped get him out and never saw him again.

That must have been a mighty wet beaver that clogged up your tank. I think there is a shot you can take for a clogged up beaver.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:54:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

so you have never had wild hog brains? Squirrel brains? Alligator Gar? Crow?
Nope, never eaten any brains and no mountain oysters either. I did watch a show..."Monster something...where the guy travels all over to find elusive or infamous fish. He came to Texas a while back and fished off the Trinity River to catch an aligator gar. It caught him. Mean little suckers. LOL

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Re-sleeving FTMFW!

LC
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:55:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Admit it, OP:  You posted this knowing full well what the general ARFCOM response would be, didn't you?  
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:58:15 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Yup, I've shot a couple here in Tarrant Co.

Whacked a few in Collin County also. Kill them ASAP. They turned the area around my pond into a giant punji stick farm.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:58:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Admit it, OP:  You posted this knowing full well what the general ARFCOM response would be, didn't you?  
If you've noticed, I've ignored every single naughty comment. I posted because I thought it would get a good laugh, but you guys always have to take things in "that" direction. I will admit though...I've laughed hard at the "rebushing".

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Re-sleeving FTMFW!

LC

You are right on the money, LC. The re-sleeving is done with a fresh ham hock. After inserting the ham hock just remove the bone and that out of spec beaver is as good as new.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top