Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:17:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Marshall Creek at Lake Grapevine. Never did get a pic of the beavers. They would tail slap and be gone as soon as we walked up to the spot.
Sure do miss jigging that area for crappie.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:19:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Nutria:

http://www.pinebarrensanimals.com/web_images/pix1/nutria1.jpg

I could post a picture of a beaver, but I'm afraid it would get me banned

I've heard they taste quite good-then again I was told that by rednecks who will eat anything. I have had one of those morbid curiosities though-anyone cooked them?
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:32:35 PM EDT
[#3]
found this years ago . its a nutria skull thats been collecting dust and fuzz in my office

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:38:11 PM EDT
[#4]
There's a good BBQ restaurant here in Houston called Beavers...their motto: "Just south of Hooters"

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:38:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
On a side note... Nutria Rat tastes amazing.
You're kidding right? I thought those things carried diseases. I've eaten squirrel, birds, rabbit, deer, hogs, alligator, frogs, octopuss, fish, goat, etc. I will never eat one of those...YUCK

Uummm. No. They are very healthy animals. They feed on plant shoots and grasses so they taste sweet. The meat is very lean.

Oh hell I'm in...how do you cook a nutria???  Never seen one in the fur yet, but you never knoe what you might come across.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 11:39:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Beaver keeps the head warm

in the

Winter and Summer.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:17:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yall are pulling my leg. If they were any good, I'm sure they would have ended up in a pot of something...my dad is from Alabama and they'll eat anything.

Nutria Recipe
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:23:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There's a good BBQ restaurant here in Houston called Beavers...their motto: "Just south of Hooters"

I live a couple miles from there and have never seen it. I may have to try it now.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:31:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yall are pulling my leg. If they were any good, I'm sure they would have ended up in a pot of something...my dad is from Alabama and they'll eat anything.

OMG! It had to be in Louisiana too! LOL They don't count....they'll eat anything too When I read nutria gumbo I almost lost it. I put chicken, shrimp, crawfish and sausage in mine. Rat gumbo? Rat jambalaya? Crock pot Rat? I'm sorry, but Hell to the no!

Nutria Recipe

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:44:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nutria Recipe

Nutria etouffe??? Too cool.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:33:50 AM EDT
[#11]
have seen beaver before on the north end of lake livingston
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:38:51 AM EDT
[#12]
There are two living on neighbor's tank.  Saw one the other day waddling across the road.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:45:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A while back a girlfriend and I took our kids to the duck ponds to feed the ducks. After a while, we noticed they were feeding a family of beavers. It was so cute because they were very docile and would reach out and take the bread almost politely. There was a man there fishing and we noticed he kept looking at the kids and then back at us. Finally, we walked over and asked if he'd caught anything...just making conversation. He said, "Lady, you don't mind your kids doing that?" I said, "What, feeding the beavers?" He looked really strange and said, "Lady, are you from Texas?" I answered, "Yes" Still looking confused, he said, "Have you ever seen a beaver in Texas before?" I thought about it for a second and replied that I had not. He said, "Well you haven't today either....your kids are feeding nutra rats!" I screamed at them to load up! I left there feeling like white trash. LOL So, are there beavers in Texas?

I'm gonna have to say your kids were feeding nutria. Beavers tend to be quite skittish and i can't see them feeding from your kids that way.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:30:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'll stick with beaver, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:31:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
You're kidding right? I thought those things carried diseases. I've eaten squirrel, birds, rabbit, deer, hogs, alligator, frogs, octopuss, fish, goat, etc. I will never eat one of those...YUCK

Uummm. No. They are very healthy animals. They feed on plant shoots and grasses so they taste sweet. The meat is very lean.

groudhogs are considered good eating, too, for the same reason.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
have seen beaver before on the north end of lake livingston
We have property close..Onalaska, Well's Landing. We've been going there since I was about 3, so over 30 years. I've seen every kind of critter up there, but don't recall any beavers. That's strange.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Best method of preparation?  

I would guess skin, debone, pound flat and fry on the skillet?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:08:34 AM EDT
[#18]
The posted recipe looks good...

Anyone in central Texas have some water rats that need killing?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Beavers live in more upland hilly terrain with little streams that they can dam up and turn into beaver ponds.

You tend to see nutria in the flat coastal plain swamps.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:29:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Ive got Otters, Beavers and Nutria on my ponds In Lee county...100 miles nw of Houston
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:31:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Oddly enough, I have a problem with beavers munching my trees on Kiowa Creek in the top of the panhandle.
This is a semi-arid land mass with an average of less than 20" of rain a year.
Who'd thunk I would have a beaver problem here?
Yes, Virginia, there are beavers in Texas.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:43:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I love beavers.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yes

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:46:42 AM EDT
[#25]

Natural distribution of the beaver in North America.

http://www.hww.ca/hww2.asp?id=82
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:51:53 AM EDT
[#26]
We have beavers on the Brazos in Fort Bend county.

We also have the more common split-tail beaver.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:01:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I've seen beavers as well as nutria in Sugar Creek Ft bend co.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top