Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:23:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Mamma always told me not to look into the eye of the sun.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:23:59 PM EDT
[#2]
With the Mouth of Soros in the White House, I guess it makes sense for the Eye of Soros to develop in the Sun.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:25:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Jimmy Johnson is still going to win the chase for the race.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:26:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Folding new "heavy Duty" tin foil hat now!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Happens every 12 years, MSN is employing scare tactics now.

However if something did come we'd suffer painful burning death.

No it doesn't. There are solar maximums where we're not touched by so much as a direct CME. This one has already been considerably worse.

Its a 12 year cycle, lol. Maybe 11 year. I learned alot about it while studying for amateur radio. They're good for radio signals.

Solar cycles, minimum and maximum is a cycle. But that's not the purpose of this article, and if you really have studied it, you'd know we're due for another major one.

I'd like for my ass to be extra crispy, and my balls rare if at all possible.

Well I doubt we'd see anything like that in our lifetime, but every hundred years or so, a significant solar maximum produces a major CME/Flare in the X-class range, which will pretty much toast our power grids. The last one did, but it was before power was widely spread or used (1850's.) We're overdue.

No it wont.

Yea, it will. According to the electrical engineers who designed our grid, NASA, FEMA, and an independent review board who demonstrated the effect another X-class flare would have on even a moderately protected grid. 100 million dollars was just granted to come up with a solution by 2011 by Congress, and so far no one has.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Relax guys, that's just the sun mooning us.   Very close up shot though  Hopefully, it won't turn into a poop thread.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:32:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it doesn't. There are solar maximums where we're not touched by so much as a direct CME. This one has already been considerably worse.

Its a 12 year cycle, lol. Maybe 11 year. I learned alot about it while studying for amateur radio. They're good for radio signals.

Solar cycles, minimum and maximum is a cycle. But that's not the purpose of this article, and if you really have studied it, you'd know we're due for another major one.

Well I doubt we'd see anything like that in our lifetime, but every hundred years or so, a significant solar maximum produces a major CME/Flare in the X-class range, which will pretty much toast our power grids. The last one did, but it was before power was widely spread or used (1850's.) We're overdue.

No it wont.

Yea, it will. According to the electrical engineers who designed our grid, NASA, FEMA, and an independent review board who demonstrated the effect another X-class flare would have on even a moderately protected grid. 100 million dollars was just granted to come up with a solution by 2011 by Congress, and so far no one has.

No it wont.

I'll trust people who know what they are talking about and have spent their lives studying it over whoever the hell you are.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You probably think an EMP would send us back to the stone age too.

You probably have no idea about the subject, and came in to pretend you know more than every scientific body funded to study the issue.

Mission accomplished.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:40:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Oh Noes!!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:47:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Can we send Oboma to piss on it?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Can we send Oboma to piss on it?

Barney Frank will plug it right up.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Breaks out suntan lotion.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:57:11 PM EDT
[#16]

God don't tell Obama about it, because he'll find some way to make it worse.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:58:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Jimmy Johnson is still going to win the chase for the race.

Hell yeah he is!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:04:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

God don't tell Obama about it, because he'll find some way to make it worse.

He'll treat it like the Afghan bank, and send it lots of money.

The effect will be the identical.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a 12 year cycle, lol. Maybe 11 year. I learned alot about it while studying for amateur radio. They're good for radio signals.[/quote]

Wonder if my over the air digital tv signal will improve?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:13:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

It's caused by solar warming.  Nice job all you plastic bag using assholes.

I'm sorry, Earth.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it wont.

No it wont.

By all means, back up your statement. Many experts seem to think this will cause some major trouble, what are your credentials? I'm not trying to call you out, but if you have knowledge on the subject, please share.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it wont.

No it wont.

By all means, back up your statement. Many experts seem to think this will cause some major trouble, what are your credentials? I'm not trying to call you out, but if you have knowledge on the subject, please share.

No he won't.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

It's every 11 years...but who's counting...and I hope we get some awesome Aurorae Borealis from some soon.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
http://o.aolcdn.com/photo-hub/news_gallery/6/8/684328/1283625781235.JPEG

Images of Massive Sunspot Show Sun's Chaos
http://www.aolnews.com/science/article/images-of-massive-sunspot-show-chaos-and-energy-of-sun/19621388?ncid=webmail

(Sept. 4) –– New images of a colossal sunspot show the chaos and energy on the surface of the Sun.

The New Solar Telescope in Big Bear Lake, Calif., snapped the closest image ever taken of the sunspot, which is larger than the Earth. Resembling a giant sunflower, it makes for a pretty picture, but the black fibers are violent jets of energy being thrown from the surface of the star.

"What's interesting is that when we look at the sunspot, it appears pretty benign," New Jersey Institute of Technology professor Philip R. Goode told Fox News. But "the fibers are actually jets of energy being ejected from the bright magnetic fields at the surface."

Temperatures in the sunspot range from 6,500 degrees Fahrenheit to more than 10,000 degrees.

The sunspot itself is about 8,000 miles in diameter. The Earth is about 7,926 miles around the equator.

- continued...

ARTICLE FAIL:
Earth's Circumference at the Equator: 24,901.55 miles (40,075.16 km)

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I usually look for the bright side of the story, but this brightness might just be enough to crisp the planet.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.aolnews.com/science/article/images-of-massive-sunspot-show-chaos-and-energy-of-sun/19621388?ncid=webmail

(Sept. 4) –– New images of a colossal sunspot show the chaos and energy on the surface of the Sun.

The New Solar Telescope in Big Bear Lake, Calif., snapped the closest image ever taken of the sunspot, which is larger than the Earth. Resembling a giant sunflower, it makes for a pretty picture, but the black fibers are violent jets of energy being thrown from the surface of the star.

"What's interesting is that when we look at the sunspot, it appears pretty benign," New Jersey Institute of Technology professor Philip R. Goode told Fox News. But "the fibers are actually jets of energy being ejected from the bright magnetic fields at the surface."

Temperatures in the sunspot range from 6,500 degrees Fahrenheit to more than 10,000 degrees.

The sunspot itself is about 8,000 miles in diameter. The Earth is about 7,926 miles around the equator.

- continued...

ARTICLE FAIL:

It specifically states diameter, which is accurate. It shouldn't have used the word 'around' however.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Didn't their mother ever tell them not to stare at the sun?

But Moma, that's where the fun is!

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- continued...

ARTICLE FAIL:

It specifically states diameter, which is accurate. It shouldn't have used the word 'around' however.

Sorry but it says AROUND THE EQUATOR
nevermind
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:04:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- continued...

ARTICLE FAIL:

you need to learn more about pi basement dweller

http://geography.about.com/od/learnabouttheearth/a/earthfacts.htm

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Sun spots peak in 11 year cycles, this is the 11 year cycle now.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:22:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

i like pi

mmmMM pi.  where is the wife.................

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Balloon knot
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Balloon knot

Your member name fits this thread!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:34:39 PM EDT
[#36]

So where is the evidence that this spot hasn't been there for the last 5,000 years or so?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
To put into perspective.
http://i56.tinypic.com/2d2gfmb.jpg

I am not scared.

our planet is smaller than that hole.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So where is the evidence that this spot hasn't been there for the last 5,000 years or so?

We have satellites and telescopes pointed at the sun constantly.  The slightest thing changes and we see it almost in real time.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:36:32 PM EDT
[#39]
DUKE NUKEM FOREVER trailer....

What, after 13 years?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:06:55 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This could be worse than Y2K

Yea, it definitely will be?

I don't think people understand that we WILL be hit with a major flare, likely in our lifetime. Unless the sun decides not to follow a cycle it's been on since the beginning of our ability to record it.

Well at least we won't have to worry about those pesky law enforcement officers anymore.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:07:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think people understand that we WILL be hit with a major flare, likely in our lifetime. Unless the sun decides not to follow a cycle it's been on since the beginning of our ability to record it.

Well at least we won't have to worry about those pesky law enforcement officers anymore.

Oh, is that what you consider yourself?

(I guess it's whatever thread your posting in that determines what you're an expert in on that day.)
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:08:28 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No it wont.

No it wont.

I'll trust people who know what they are talking about and have spent their lives studying it over whoever the hell you are.

Like the climatologists, right?

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:09:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it wont.

No it wont.

No? Because climatologists only understand one facet of a situation. When coupled with people who understand the other issues at hand with "global warming" it no longer stands.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:11:17 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, is that what you consider yourself?

(I guess it's whatever thread your posting in that determines what you're an expert in on that day.)

I know a bit about a few subjects.

You don't see me posting in a baseball thread, mining thread, ham radio thread, etc....

At least I'm not a person that is totally ruled by emotions.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No it wont.

No it wont.

No? Because climatologists only understand one facet of a situation. When coupled with people who understand the other issues at hand with "global warming" it no longer stands.

You know you just fucked your whole argument.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

At least I'm not a person that is totally ruled by emotions.  

You're completely ruled by emotions. If you weren't, you wouldn't spend hours upon hours defending your back peddling to a bunch of people you'll never meet.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You know you just fucked your whole argument.

What? You know, I used to think you were just one of those arrogant people that people don't generally get along with, but after your umpteenth "YOU'RE WRONG DERP DERP" and offering nothing but EXPCustome's signature smiley, you can join him in the ignore bin.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
We could use a good emp to reset everything

let me guess you've got credit card debt?

I can live without electronics, bring it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:41:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was first reported on Aug 25th by SOHO.  It's now September 4th.  I think we're good.  

Why?

I'm guessing whatever solor radiation that was emitted by the sun spot has already reached Earth, and since we are still here surfing arfcom and downloading pron...
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:43:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have satellites and telescopes pointed at the sun constantly.  The slightest thing changes and we see it almost in real time.

OK, so where are the images of that same exact spot with nothing.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top