BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:44:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was first reported on Aug 25th by SOHO.  It's now September 4th.  I think we're good.  

Why?

I'm guessing whatever solor radiation that was emitted by the sun spot has already reached Earth, and since we are still here surfing arfcom and downloading pron...

It's still there, and producing though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So where is the evidence that this spot hasn't been there for the last 5,000 years or so?

We have satellites and telescopes pointed at the sun constantly.  The slightest thing changes and we see it almost in real time.

OK, so where are the images of that same exact spot with nothing.

Huh? Unless you're suggesting that precise angle of the sun has never presented itself, I'm not sure what you're implying.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:48:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At least I'm not a person that is totally ruled by emotions.

You're completely ruled by emotions. If you weren't, you wouldn't spend hours upon hours defending your back peddling to a bunch of people you'll never meet.

You are getting amusement and emotion confused.

Doesn't surprise me.

The moment arfcom isn't fun anymore, I'm gone.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know you just fucked your whole argument.

What? You know, I used to think you were just one of those arrogant people that people don't generally get along with, but after your umpteenth "YOU'RE WRONG DERP DERP" and offering nothing but EXPCustome's signature smiley, you can join him in the ignore bin.

Bye!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:51:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Please God let it wipe out the electrical grid.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:56:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Galactic Goatse
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:58:03 PM EDT
[#7]
No one has any idea what the sun is going to do. Shit our top scientists/engineers can't even build a viable replacement for the internal combustion engine let alone figure out the mysteries of the sun and universe.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:04:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

No one has any idea what the sun is going to do. Shit our top scientists/engineers can't even build a viable replacement for the internal combustion engine let alone figure out the mysteries of the sun and universe.

Yep, same scientists that cannot even explain why gravity exists, and try to pass it off as something along a "large body attracts things"...lol.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:05:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Happens every 12 years, MSN is employing scare tactics now.

However if something did come we'd suffer painful burning death.

No it doesn't. There are solar maximums where we're not touched by so much as a direct CME. This one has already been considerably worse.

Its a 12 year cycle, lol. Maybe 11 year. I learned alot about it while studying for amateur radio. They're good for radio signals.

Solar cycles, minimum and maximum is a cycle. But that's not the purpose of this article, and if you really have studied it, you'd know we're due for another major one.

I'd like for my ass to be extra crispy, and my balls rare if at all possible.

Well I doubt we'd see anything like that in our lifetime, but every hundred years or so, a significant solar maximum produces a major CME/Flare in the X-class range, which will pretty much toast our power grids. The last one did, but it was before power was widely spread or used (1850's.) We're overdue.

aimpoint dies?

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:06:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So where is the evidence that this spot hasn't been there for the last 5,000 years or so?

We have satellites and telescopes pointed at the sun constantly. The slightest thing changes and we see it almost in real time.

Huh?  I'm not sure.

Exactly.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:11:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:12:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You know you just fucked your whole argument.

What? You know, I used to think you were just one of those arrogant people that people don't generally get along with, but after your umpteenth "YOU'RE WRONG DERP DERP" and offering nothing but EXPCustome's signature smiley, you can join him in the ignore bin.

Why do you post something of serious scientific value to illustrate your point. Other than what happened with Hydroquebec and noone else. Man they were without power for a whopping 9 hours cuz of those terrible coronal mass ejections.

Yes, because that event is comparable with a direct X-Class solar flare (which will strike us again.) The 1989 event wasn't a direct hit, and was no where near the "perfect storm" scientists are predicting.

ETA: and what do you mean, CME? The 89 event was a solar flare strike. Solar winds had nothing to do with it that I've read.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:19:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
This could be worse than Y2K

Yea, it definitely will be?

I don't think people understand that we WILL be hit with a major flare, likely in our lifetime. Unless the sun decides not to follow a cycle it's been on since the beginning of our ability to record it.

Well at least we won't have to worry about those pesky law enforcement officers anymore.

Oh, is that what you consider yourself?

(I guess it's whatever thread your posting in that determines what you're an expert in on that day.)

I smell projection....

I still remember that finance related thread where you came marching in pretending to be an expert on trading, saying that you "worked in finance", when in reality you only worked in HR
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:52:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Here’s the deal…

The current solar cycle has been incredibly weak so far. We’ve been in a very extended minimum so any sign of activity on the sun is worthy of comment I guess, but the Sun is still very inactive. Here’s a chart to show what I mean. The red line is the official prediction for the cycle. But the prediction is apparently based on nothing but wishful thinking. Originally it predicted a very active cycle but the prediction was revised several times when the Sun refused to play along. We might even be at the peak for this cycle (cycles average 11 years but they can be significantly shorter or longer) for all we know.

http://www.solarcycle24.com/sunspots.htm

So, why all the news stories? I guess that the press spent the last several years writing them in anticipation of the strong solar cycle we were supposed to get and then ran the stories without actually checking the solar weather.

And, as I understand it, the actual risk from a Carrington type event (massive solar flare) is actually quite low. At least the risk that it will destroy our civilization is quite low. It’s the charged particles coming from the Sun that do the damage and we will have at least a 12 hour warning (and probably more like 18 hours) before it gets here. With that much warning we can shut down the electrical grid which should prevent any major damage. Yes, there could be problems. Yes, some satellites might not survive. Yes, there will be some damage. But it will merely be an expensive inconvenience and not a civilization ending disaster.

Of course that depends on us actually being aware of the risks and being willing to take action when a large solar flare is detected.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:05:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have satellites and telescopes pointed at the sun constantly.  The slightest thing changes and we see it almost in real time.

Here you go...

SOHO

I would recommend clicking "Gallery" and then perusing the many images or even movies.  The movies are incredible; you can watch solar flares being launched off the surface of the sun.  Just amazing.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:09:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://o.aolcdn.com/photo-hub/news_gallery/6/8/684328/1283625781235.JPEG

Images of Massive Sunspot Show Sun's Chaos
http://www.aolnews.com/science/article/images-of-massive-sunspot-show-chaos-and-energy-of-sun/19621388?ncid=webmail

(Sept. 4) –– New images of a colossal sunspot show the chaos and energy on the surface of the Sun.

The New Solar Telescope in Big Bear Lake, Calif., snapped the closest image ever taken of the sunspot, which is larger than the Earth. Resembling a giant sunflower, it makes for a pretty picture, but the black fibers are violent jets of energy being thrown from the surface of the star.

"What's interesting is that when we look at the sunspot, it appears pretty benign," New Jersey Institute of Technology professor Philip R. Goode told Fox News. But "the fibers are actually jets of energy being ejected from the bright magnetic fields at the surface."

Temperatures in the sunspot range from 6,500 degrees Fahrenheit to more than 10,000 degrees.

The sunspot itself is about 8,000 miles in diameter. The Earth is about 7,926 miles around the equator.

- continued...

ARTICLE FAIL:
Earth's Circumference at the Equator: 24,901.55 miles (40,075.16 km)

comprehension fail actually. They are correct about the diameter, but wrong that its the same as circumference.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:11:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Three pages, and no one's asked "what caliber for stars?".  

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:12:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's caused by solar warming.  Nice job all you plastic bag using assholes.

/thread
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:43:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:44:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it doesn't. There are solar maximums where we're not touched by so much as a direct CME. This one has already been considerably worse.

Its a 12 year cycle, lol. Maybe 11 year. I learned alot about it while studying for amateur radio. They're good for radio signals.

Solar cycles, minimum and maximum is a cycle. But that's not the purpose of this article, and if you really have studied it, you'd know we're due for another major one.

Well I doubt we'd see anything like that in our lifetime, but every hundred years or so, a significant solar maximum produces a major CME/Flare in the X-class range, which will pretty much toast our power grids. The last one did, but it was before power was widely spread or used (1850's.) We're overdue.

aimpoint dies?

Nah, just unplug it from the wall outlet.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:48:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I heard Obama and Pelosi want to tax it.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Oooh.. you keep saying "x-class", you must know what you're talking about

The last one was not in 1850, it happens all the time genius:

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:16:58 AM EDT
[#24]
ZOMG!!!!!eleven!!111!!

The sun has a hole in it!

The sun has a gigantic leather cheerio!

I anticipate suprize solar buttsecks
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://science.nasa.gov/media/medialibrary/2003/11/07/12nov_haywire_resources/XCHART.gif

I wonder if Kstanton will ever get tired of getting owned in every technical thread he posts in?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#26]
"My God...its full of Stars!"
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

http://science.nasa.gov/media/medialibrary/2003/11/07/12nov_haywire_resources/XCHART.gif

I wonder if Kstanton will ever get tired of getting owned in every technical thread he posts in?

I imagine that's why he uses the ignore feature so much. His fragile ego can't take the abuse.

What's really funny is that there was not even such a thing as "x-class" solar flares in 1850. The classification is based on readings from the GOES sats which weren't in orbit until the mid 70s. Classification is based on x-ray intensity and in 1850, x-rays weren't even discovered yet.

<–– Former NASA engineer (not an HR toad)
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Looks like a gaping starfish to me

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:44:36 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I imagine that's why he uses the ignore feature so much. His fragile ego can't take the abuse.

What's really funny is that there was not even such a thing as "x-class" solar flares in 1850. The classification is based on readings from the GOES sats which weren't in orbit until the mid 70s. Classification is based on x-ray intensity and in 1850, x-rays weren't even discovered yet.

And judging by his past posts he isn't going to take the 'man up' route.

He will most likely just not show up in this thread again.  Or less likely continue to make himself look ignorant of the subject.
It reminds me of Hoodyhoo and global warming.  He argued like hell for about 2 years in support of GW.  But he evidentally kept his mind open and finally came around and realized the crap he had convinced himself of wasn't the truth.   I doubt Kstan will be that mature.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#32]
What can be seen cannot be unseen...

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

So because something wasn't named in 1850, it didn't exist? Maybe I take back what I said about trusting NASA, doesn't seem like a reliable source.

Regardless, Expcustom and Sherrick are on my ignore list, from what I can tell  two of the least respected posters on the forum.

Also, considering the smacking I saw you take from Keith and someone else, I'm pretty sure the only thing you engineer is stories on the internet.

Here's the "group you worked for" calling it an X-class flare:

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2008/06may_carringtonflare/
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I love it when solar magnetic fields get tangled up into a knot, diverting bubbles of convected helium from the knot that results in a dark area of lower temperature.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mr. Nasa Engineer...

But didn't "working for NASA" clue you into that while we've been in the path of X-class flares before (as I stated talking to Keekleberry before you came in) that there was something a-might different that time around?

And are you claiming those are times Earth has taken a hit by an X class flare?   (or are you going to admit posting a chart that shows total detectable flare activity is fairly dishonest in the context you used it?)

(I'll patiently await to see what you figure out from your NASA ex-coworkers, or Wikipedia. X-Classes are major, even 1's.)
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:28:25 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

goatse lives....

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:47:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

So because something wasn't named in 1850, it didn't exist? Maybe I take back what I said about trusting NASA, doesn't seem like a reliable source.

Regardless, Expcustom and Sherrick are on my ignore list, from what I can tell  two of the least respected posters on the forum.

Also, considering the smacking I saw you take from Keith and someone else, I'm pretty sure the only thing you engineer is stories on the internet.

Yeah, NASA folks wouldn't know what they're talking about. Maybe your buddies at ADP or Trinet would know more about cosmic activity?

If it was impossible to measure, it cannot be classified using that scale. Tough to understand eh?

As for respect, where would you classify yourself? Someone who constantly tries to be an internet expert on matters, lies about his credentials, yet doesn't have the faintest clue about the topic at hand. Get a job, you'll find you will no longer have to make up things about yourself on the internet to develop a sense of self worth.

Please link that thread where I am getting a "smacking" by Keith. I would love to see that. The only one who makes up stories here is you as everyone can see. Lots of people have called on you to post substantiating data, yet all you can do is make up "facts" as usual in some sad pathetic grasp for intellect.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, NASA folks wouldn't know what they're talking about. Maybe your buddies at ADP or Trinet would know more about cosmic activity?

If it was impossible to measure, it cannot be classified using that scale. Tough to understand eh?

As for respect, where would you classify yourself? Someone who constantly tries to be an internet expert on matters, lies about his credentials, yet doesn't have the faintest clue about the topic at hand. Get a job, you'll find you will no longer have to make up things about yourself on the internet to develop a sense of self worth.

Please link that thread where I am getting a "smacking" by Keith. I would love to see that. The only one who makes up stories here is you as everyone can see. Lots of people have called on you to post substantiating data, yet all you can do is make up "facts" as usual in some sad pathetic grasp for intellect.

Post a pit thread. We'll see who's lying about credentials, Mr. Nasa. Then you can have your second Pit thread where you embarrass yourself. I don't even know what Trinet or ADP is. I am assuming that's some sort of insult.

NASA called it an X-Class flare. Must have been one of your "coworkers" playing a joke?

ETA: Post substantiating data about what? Who has called me to do so, and about what specifically and I will.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mr. Nasa Engineer...

But didn't "working for NASA" clue you into that while we've been in the path of X-class flares before (as I stated talking to Keekleberry before you came in) that there was something a-might different that time around?

And are you claiming those are times Earth has taken a hit by an X class flare?   (or are you going to admit posting a chart that shows total detectable flare activity is fairly dishonest in the context you used it?)

(I'll patiently await to see what you figure out from your NASA ex-coworkers, or Wikipedia. X-Classes are major, even 1's.)

Quoted:

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2008/06may_carringtonflare/

Your ignorance is showing again

Your 3rd grade reading ability also. Nowhere in the article did they call it "x-class". Making up "facts" again, what a surprise.

The inability to accurately measure and classify it at the time does not mean solar activity didn't happen back then. It would take a real dolt to even think someone is trying to say that Like I said, your ignorance is showing.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:10:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mr. Nasa Engineer...

Quoted:

Your 3rd grade reading ability also. Nowhere in the article did they call it "x-class". Making up "facts" again, what a surprise.

The inability to accurately measure and classify it at the time does not mean solar activity didn't happen back then. It would take a real dolt to even think someone is trying to say that Like I said, your ignorance is showing.

Uh oh, you're forgetting to address the issue of you posting a graph out of context.

And saying "To repeat a Carrington event, you must have another X-Class solar flare..." is implying the first one was indeed an X-class, is it not?

ETA:

A flare such as the one that Carrington witnessed was of the rarest X-Class variety, releasing up to a billion megatons of energy from deep in the photosphere.

And a brief google search suggests the Carrington event is pretty widely considered an X-class.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:11:13 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

What can be seen cannot be unseen...

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h164/Rarestrx/Ick.jpg

LOL

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Next couple of years are supposed to be rockin' in regard to sunspot activity.

The worlds going to end in 2012 anyway, we all know this.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:26:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mr. Nasa Engineer...

Quoted:

Uh oh, you're forgetting to address the issue of you posting a graph out of context.

And saying "To repeat a Carrington event, you must have another X-Class solar flare..." is implying the first one was indeed an X-class, is it not?

ETA:

A flare such as the one that Carrington witnessed was of the rarest X-Class variety, releasing up to a billion megatons of energy from deep in the photosphere.

Making up our own quotes now also? What a surprise....

Umm... the purpose of the graph was to show that your statement about the "last" x-class solar flare took place in 1850 was patently false. But hey, maybe if you use acronyms like "CME" 5 more times, I will be tricked into thinking you actually know what you're talking about
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mr. Nasa Engineer...

Quoted:

ETA:

Making up our own quotes now also? What a surprise....

Umm... the purpose of the graph was to show that your statement about the "last" x-class solar flare took place in 1850 was patently false. But hey, maybe if you use acronyms like "CME" 5 more times, I will be tricked into thinking you actually know what you're talking about

EARTH BEING STRUCK WITH does not equal LAST EVER ERUPTED and you know it. And what do you mean making up quotes? Find it yourself. A NASA engineer such as yourself should be able to use a computer better than this.

I'm also curious where I'm "lying about credentials." You clearly know I work in HR. I don't make any secret about this.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#45]

HEAR COMES GLOBLE WARMING!!!!

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
That look like my ass after a hot day sweating in a pair of work jeans in this SC sun and looking forward to evening with the Monkey butt powder

Fuck thats funny
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:46:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it wont.

Yea, it will. According to the electrical engineers who designed our grid, NASA, FEMA, and an independent review board who demonstrated the effect another X-class flare would have on even a moderately protected grid. 100 million dollars was just granted to come up with a solution by 2011 by Congress, and so far no one has.

No it wont.

By all means, back up your statement. Many experts seem to think this will cause some major trouble, what are your credentials? I'm not trying to call you out, but if you have knowledge on the subject, please share.

No he won't.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

EARTH BEING STRUCK WITH does not equal LAST EVER ERUPTED and you know it. And what do you mean making up quotes? Find it yourself. A NASA engineer such as yourself should be able to use a computer better than this.

I'm also curious where I'm "lying about credentials." You clearly know I work in HR. I don't make any secret about this.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it wont.

Yea, it will. According to the electrical engineers who designed our grid, NASA, FEMA, and an independent review board who demonstrated the effect another X-class flare would have on even a moderately protected grid. 100 million dollars was just granted to come up with a solution by 2011 by Congress, and so far no one has.

'nuff said. If you were right, our power grids would have been knocked out dozens of times in the past 30 years. See the chart I posted above.

As for lying about your credentials... As already mentioned, I'm talking about the finance thread where you were boasting about "working in finance", only to go on and reveal how you didn't know squat, and your experience in finance was relegated to being in HR. Have fun with your poser games, I've wasted enough time on you.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:48:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Looks like my asshole after eating taco bell.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:49:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it wont.

'nuff said. If you were right, our power grids would have been knocked out dozens of times in the past 30 years. See the chart I posted above.

As for lying about your credentials... As already mentioned, I'm talking about the finance thread where you were boasting about "working in finance", only to go on and reveal how you didn't know squat, and your experience in finance was relegated to being in HR. Have fun with your poser games, I've wasted enough time on you.

You posted a chart about total X-flare activity, not direct hits, like the Carrington event (the one you knew damn well I was referencing.)
I do work in finance. My degree is in finance. In fact, prior to working in HR, I worked in finance. In my last job, I both worked in finance AND HR. I now work in HR because

1: The pay is better.

2: The job security is better (though I did quit a job recently.)

3: The job is easier, less stressful, and with the exception of my last job more rewarding.

I'd love for you to start another pit thread telling me I'm lying.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top