Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/4/2010 8:15:46 AM EDT
I love this state.  I really, really do (in all seriousness).  Politics here is better than any soap opera could ever hope to be:

Original article at The State website

Knotts' slur stirs the Haley storm
Lawmaker calls candidate a 'raghead' on Internet show
By JOHN O’CONNOR - [email protected]

Lexington state Sen. Jake Knotts called political rival and Republican gubernatorial candidate Nikki Haley a “raghead” on an Internet political talk show Thursday evening.

The term is a slur typically used against Arabs or other ethnic groups who wear turbans or headdresses. Haley, a state representative from Lexington, is the child of Indian immigrants.

“We already got one raghead in the White House,” Knotts said. “We don’t need another in the Governor’s Mansion.”

According to those present and watching the show, “Pub Politics,” Knotts also talked at length about Haley’s parents’ religion and her family. Haley was raised as a Sikh, but converted to Methodist and has said she attends both services. “Pub Politics” host Wesley Donehue said the video will be posted today.

Haley’s religion was raised as an issue during her first S.C. House run in 2004, when anonymous fliers claimed — inaccurately — that she was a Hindu. Haley won the race, unseating the House’s longest-serving lawmaker.

Haley is in a four-way contest for governor. Knotts is a longtime ally of Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer, who is also running for governor. Wednesday, Bauer campaign consultant Larry Marchant said he had a one-time sexual encounter with Haley in 2008. Bauer asked Marchant to resign, but Haley accused Bauer of “fishing” the story to the press. The allegation was the second in as many weeks against Haley, who has maintained she has been faithful to her husband of 13 years.

Though they both hail from Lexington, Knotts and Haley have been adversaries, as they represent opposing wings of the county’s Republican Party. Haley is a longtime supporter of Gov. Mark Sanford, who has been a Knotts adversary.

“What the race in ’04 proved was the goodness of the people of South Carolina,” Haley said after a Columbia campaign stop. “What the race in 2010 will prove is the goodness of the people of South Carolina, that there fewer people of the Jake Knotts (ilk) and that there are a lot more good, educated people (who) want their voice heard in government.”

Haley campaign manager Tim Pearson said that Knotts was an embarrassment to the state, and that South Carolina voters would make it clear on Tuesday they are better than this.

S.C. GOP chairwoman Karen Floyd called on Knotts to apologize, which he did late Thursday.

Knotts said his comments were meant as humor.

“My ‘raghead’ comments about Obama and Haley were intended in jest,” Knotts said in a statement. “Bear in mind that this is a freewheeling, anything-goes Internet radio show that is broadcast from a pub. It’s like local political version of ‘Saturday Night Live.’

“Since my intended humorous context was lost in translation, I apologize. I still believe Ms. Haley is pretending to be someone she is not, much as Obama did, but I apologize to both for an unintended slur.”

Knotts was not a scheduled guest on the show, said Donehue, who is also the Senate Republican caucus spokesman. The other host, Senate Democratic Caucus spokesman Phil Bailey, said Knotts’ views do not reflect those of the show.

“Pub Politics” has featured reporters, including those from The State, bloggers, political scientists and elected officials discussing the week’s political news.

“People talk,” said Donehue. “It’s an open discussion of politics over beer.”

“I, along with everyone else at the table, was shocked,” he said of Knotts’ comments.

The Knotts slur capped a day of elbow-throwing, in which Bauer challenged Haley to take a lie-detector test to prove she has not had a sexual affair, as the former Bauer campaign staffer claimed.

Bauer said he, too, would submit to a polygraph test to prove he had no part in pushing the story into the media.

“Nobody has been a better friend of transparency than Andre Bauer,” Bauer said in a news release. “ … Ms. Haley, on the other hand, speaks of transparency, but apparently only for other people, not for herself. And now, we learn that she is refusing to release phone and text messages which could clear up some of the unfortunate recent allegations.”

Haley, whose signature issue is government transparency, has said she will not open her state e-mail and phone records to the public after a claim made last week by political blogger Will Folks that he and Haley engaged in an inappropriate physical relationship in 2008.

Haley has said opening the records would be a waste of time and a distraction from the real issues of the campaign.

Cliffs notes:

1.  SC politics dominated by a "good ol' boy" network, of course.

2.  Nikki Haley branded as the Tea Party candidate (ETA for governor) and enjoys a substantial lead over several good ol' boys (including TARP and Medicare supporter Gresham Barrett).

3.  Therefore, good ol' boys have unleashed allegations of her sexual infidelity, but these have gone nowhere (at least as far as I can tell) towards influencing voters.

4.  Now, Sen. Knotts hopes to sway voters by pointing out that she's a "raghead" in hopes that people will associate her with radical Islam.  Of course, she's actually the daughter of a Sikh family.

Sen. Knotts, you are a complete and utterly ignorant ass, and you have given the rest of the nation yet another good reason to laugh at our state which, but for mother-whoring cowards like you, is actually a wonderful state.

ETA: Oh, a pic is probably necessary in this case.  Here's Haley:

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:25:52 AM EDT
[#1]

I don't claim some people as South Carolinians....
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:34:00 AM EDT
[#2]
No kidding.  I'll let people take a stab at which one is Jake Knotts:

ETA:  This story should mesh nicely with this one to give folks a good picture of everyday life in the great Palmetto State.

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:38:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:40:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

This story should mesh nicely with this one to give folks a good picture of everyday life in the great Palmetto State.

Don't forget THIS ONE

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Haley's awesome.  She's moved from third back in December to breaking into the lead by double-digits (10.6%) as of May 28.

The May 28 poll came after the first allegation of sexual infidelity, and rumor has it that it was Gresham Barrett's campaign that leaked the dirt.  Barrett, of course, vehemently denies that.  The second sexual infidelity allegation came from a consultant to Andre Bauer's campaign.  That consultant resigned the day after he made the allegations.  So, that's two rumors––both admittedly unsubstantiated––from two good ol' boy opponents of Haley.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:44:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
This story should mesh nicely with this one to give folks a good picture of everyday life in the great Palmetto State.

Don't forget THIS ONE

Holy cow––how did I forget that one?  Well, that's OK.  All this may keep more yankees and Californians from moving here.  

(I keed, I keed!)
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:46:02 AM EDT
[#7]

This does not surprise me.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:47:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Haley's awesome.  She's moved from third back in December to breaking into the lead by double-digits (10.6%) as of May 28.

The May 28 poll came after the first allegation of sexual infidelity, and rumor has it that it was Gresham Barrett's campaign that leaked the dirt.  Barrett, of course, vehemently denies that.  The second sexual infidelity allegation came from a consultant to Andre Bauer's campaign.  That consultant resigned the day after he made the allegations.  So, that's two rumors––both admittedly unsubstantiated––from two good ol' boy opponents of Haley.  Go figure.

The second dude sounds gay.  I heard his statment a few days ago.

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:48:22 AM EDT
[#9]
She's very easy on the eyes!
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:48:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any relation to Lindsey Graham?

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:49:29 AM EDT
[#11]
June 8th I will send a message to the good ole boys in SC......
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#12]
She looks good, and he looks like he's got some clogged arteries in his future.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:54:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Any relation to Lindsey Graham?

Hah, no, but there have been rumors.  I think he was single for a looong time and recently (as in the last few years) got married.  Some of the rumor generators around here speculate that the marriage was to cover up a certain lightness in the loafers.  I don't know about that, but he is kind of flaky.  He's that guy who compared the poor to stray animals.  People also got miffed when he got pulled for speeding a couple of times––at least once for going over 100mph––and got off.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:54:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:55:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You and me both, buddy.  You and me both.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:57:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Oh, for crying in the sink!  Doesn't Bauer himself have a solid reputation as a party boy, or is that just me?  Obviously, he has nothing more to say about policy.  Of all the good ol' boys, I thought he was the best and he'd have had my vote if Haley wasn't in the mix.  It's a shame he's joining his fellow ol' boys in the mud.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:58:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Seriously?  Its fucking 2010.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:02:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Sooooooo glad I got out of that backwards lost-in-time state 6 years ago.

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:03:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Knotts is the worst of the breed, a dumb inbred fuckstain.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#20]

I know/knew some of the people that ran with the Bauer crowd here in Charleston.  They were complete shitheads.  Several of these folks were in the mortgage business with a friend of mine.  There was lots of drama, questionable business practices, inappropriate relationships, wild parties.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:07:57 AM EDT
[#21]
She has a CWP!
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:11:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Don't let the door knob hit you where the good Lord split ya!

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:11:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I am going to be traveling.  Can I vote absentee?

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Start a thread about the Civil War, and you'll think it's 1861.

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:12:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I grew up in MO. It's not better.  Hell, given all the shit in STL and KC it's worse.

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:12:43 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Screw you Yankee!  It's the war of northern aggression.

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:14:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am going to be traveling.  Can I vote absentee?

Absentee voting ends Monday, IIRC at 7:00pm on Tuesday, June 8 (election day).  Not sure what county you're in, but here's my county's absentee voting information.  Your local voting office will be able to tell you how to go about it:

I am going to be out of town on election day, how do I vote?
"Absentee" voting is available to registered voters who will be out of the county on election day. Also, if a registered voter is unable to go to the polls due to disability or if employment keeps a voter on the job site the entire time the polls are open (7AM until 7PM) and this is verified by the employer, this is a valid reason for absentee voting. Applications for absentee voting can be requested by the voter in person or by phone. Even an immediate family member may request an application be sent to a voter. Once the application is returned by the voter, the ballot will be mailed for voting and then must be returned to the Voting Office no later than the close of polls on election day (7PM) in order to be counted. Persons who are 65 years of age or older may vote by the absentee method if they wish to do so and properly apply.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Bauer is a known creep.  He's also a supporter of Lindsey Graham.  The blogger who leaked the first allegations is reportedly light in his loafers as is Marchant.  It's the good old 'boy' club trying to keep a woman with real Republican values from getting in their way.  It's also embarrassing as shit.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Post a link when you do.  I'm gonna go grab my kepi and cartridge box!

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#30]
There are worse things than having "good ole boys" run your state.  Like having raving liberal redistributionists, for example.

HOWEVER, in this case, it appears Haley has the support of some reasonable conservative bona-fides, including Palin and the Tea Party movement.

Then there's this:

Few things are as clearly defined as the right of individual Americans to own and use firearms. The right to bear arms was deemed so critical by our Founders that they spelled it out in absolute terms, and it is my belief that any governmental action that undermines that right is in turn undermining the very freedoms that built our great nation. I hold a Concealed Weapons Permit myself, and in this state we have issues that make it difficult for CWP holders to rightfully carry – we need to make the rules that govern carrying far more simple. As governor, I will continue to fight against any government infringement on the 2nd Amendment.
I hope to move back to SC one day.  I hope you guys keep it in good working order, like I left it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:22:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Right now, there's a radio ad on in which Mike Huckabee is endorsing Bauer.  Yet another reason not to vote for him, IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:24:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Who do you folks like for the other races?  I have only been following the race for the Gov.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:26:27 AM EDT
[#33]
So South Carolina is worse off than other states???
I wonder how many transplants to this state call themselves "residents" after they have their license changed...some of you guys really crack me up....another thirty day resident political analyst...from whatever rock it crawled out from under
Move your ass to "Kalifornia" and embrace the all encompassing "I'm ok you're Ok society as you spiral that society into the abyss"
Other than that, I hope Halley wins.

Yet, the expert yankees, only screwed up their society with fucked poltical process which denotes the infamous RUST BELT! Only to migrate down here like a herd of Wildebeests abandoning wholesale the society you've fucked up only to try and place your fucked midset to our political structure...

Hahahahahaha No thanks, I dont need northern political "experts"
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:30:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Plus she comes from a cool group of people...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikh

ETA...I also sent the above video to Mr. Knotts (Raghead)...and told him that he needs to be careful who he calls a raghead....

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:31:00 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Right now, there's a radio ad on in which Mike Huckabee is endorsing Bauer.  Yet another reason not to vote for him, IMHO.

+1

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:32:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Who do you folks like for the other races?  I have only been following the race for the Gov.

I'm in the 4th District, where Bob Inglis is our RINO rep.  I believe I'll be voting for Christina Jeffrey in that one.  ETA:  She's having a machine-gun social tomorrow (well, automatic rifles, anyway) if you're interested.  From her home page:

For treasurer, I'm leaning towards Curtis Loftis.  That race has been characterized by mud slinging, but when in doubt, vote against the incumbent.  Chellis, as far as I can tell, is just another good ol' boy.  Loftis may be too, but we'll see...

Sadly, I don't know a danged thing about any of the other down-ticket races.  There's just not any information out there where I typically look.  My mission this week (and probably over the weekend) is researching these, particularly the education superintendent candidates.

WIsh I could do better, but here's a link to the list of 2010 SC state candidates.  It's a good starting point, if nothing else.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:36:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I know/knew some of the people that ran with the Bauer crowd here in Charleston.  They were complete shitheads.  Several of these folks were in the mortgage business with a friend of mine.  There was lots of drama, questionable business practices, inappropriate relationships, wild parties.

I did my senior year at Porter-Gaud (elite Charleston prep school) old Charleston money is very genteel and polite by the light of day...once the sun goes down the Charleston elite get down and dirty.

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:37:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It's enough to make you lose faith in the Rep party.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did my senior year at Porter-Gaud (elite Charleston prep school) old Charleston money is very genteel and polite by the light of day...once the sun goes down the Charleston elite get down and dirty.

You're damned right about that.  And by day, while they're smiling and complimenting you, they're politely twisting the blade in your back.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:40:24 AM EDT
[#40]
dear  GOP,

Go...Fuck...Yourself..
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not a prude but I saw shit that made me say WTF.

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:41:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in the 4th District, where Bob Inglis is our RINO rep.  I believe I'll be voting for Christina Jeffrey in that one.  ETA:  She's having a machine-gun social tomorrow (well, automatic rifles, anyway) if you're interested.  From her home page:

http://christinajeffrey.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/jeffreyevents.jpg

For treasurer, I'm leaning towards Curtis Loftis.  That race has been characterized by mud slinging, but when in doubt, vote against the incumbent.  Chellis, as far as I can tell, is just another good ol' boy.  Loftis may be too, but we'll see...

Sadly, I don't know a danged thing about any of the other down-ticket races.  There's just not any information out there where I typically look.  My mission this week (and probably over the weekend) is researching these, particularly the education superintendent candidates.

WIsh I could do better, but here's a link to the list of 2010 SC state candidates.  It's a good starting point, if nothing else.

You know anything about Stoval Whittey (sp?)?

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately, no.  I was just in Georgetown County and saw that he's running against Henry Brown in 1st District, but I don't know much of anything about either of those guys.  While I'm doing my research, I'll see what I can dig up on them and will post what I find.

(ETA:  Oops––Brown isn't seeking reelection, is he?)
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:49:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not a prude but I saw shit that made me say WTF.

The year before I got there one of the male teachers had been caught banging the male students...he'd been doing it for 20 years but Charleston is so secretive that nobody talks....apparently Stephen Colbert (yes that one) might have been one of his victims. Plenty of rumors of other shit like that floating around....weird place

http://www.darkness2light.org/news/archives/news_07_15_04.asp
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:57:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Jake Knotts used to (maybe still does) teach a free CCW class to residents of his county.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 10:07:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Nice looking woman.

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 3:28:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately, no.  I was just in Georgetown County and saw that he's running against Henry Brown in 1st District, but I don't know much of anything about either of those guys.  While I'm doing my research, I'll see what I can dig up on them and will post what I find.

(ETA:  Oops––Brown isn't seeking reelection, is he?)

Brown is running for President of Berkeley County....yay

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Wow.

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 3:34:27 PM EDT
[#49]
silly southerners and your cotton gin

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 3:35:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top