Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2010 9:54:50 PM EDT
Searched and didn't find this anywhere...
A 90-year-old man killed his 85-year-old wife with a hatchet Tuesday morning, Spartanburg County authorities said as they charged him with murder.

Click to enlarge
William David Martin

Sheriff's deputies arrested William David Martin, sent him to Spartanburg Regional Medical Center for an evaluation and took him to the Spartanburg County jail. Deputies and the 7th Circuit Solicitor's Office think Martin, who turned 90 on May 11, is the oldest person to be charged with murder in this judicial circuit.

Deputies said Martin's wife, Jeanette C. Martin, died at the hospital from injuries sustained from a hatchet inside their 445 Rambling Rose Way residence, which has a Moore address but is closer to the Roebuck community. An autopsy was pending.

Sheriff Chuck Wright said deputies assembled at the couple's home about 7:25 a.m. Tuesday in response to a 911 call placed by the couple's 46-year-old grandson. Wright said a simple argument turned into a death investigation.

“The only thing I can say is you probably need to pray for this family because it's very traumatic, what they're going through right now,” Wright said during a brief news conference.

A responding officer reported that the grandson had taken the hatchet from William Martin and placed it in the hall. William Martin was sitting in a chair in the living room, with the grandson standing over him, and Jeanette Moore was on the bedroom floor “severely hurt,” according to the report.

The arrival of patrol deputies, violent crimes investigators and emergency personnel in the Arbours West subdivision rattled residents of closely placed houses with manicured lawns, sculpted shrubs and “close-knit” neighbors. Sheriff's Public Information Officer Tony Ivey said deputies had no record of being called to the Martin home, and the area “is probably the lowest crime rate neighborhood” in the south region of patrol.

Brenda Hooker lives just down the street from the Martin house, and has known the couple for about 10 years. Hooker could not believe the news and said Jeanette Martin “was just a sweet lady” and recalled William “Bill” Martin was an “awfully gentle person” who walked down the street to visit Hooker's father in her home before he died.

Hooker said she never saw Bill Martin upset, never heard him utter an unkind word and couldn't remember him raising his voice.

“I wouldn't have been more shocked if this had been my own parents,” Hooker said. “That was totally out of character.”

Hooker said Bill Martin was an “avid mall walker” and kept in good physical and mental condition. She said he had been out of his home, living with his daughter, while he recovered from a pacemaker operation. Hooker said Bill Martin recently returned to his house but may have been going through a bout of depression after the operation.

William Martin sat in a wheelchair as his mug shot was taken Tuesday afternoon and as detention officers led him to an arraignment before a magistrate. He must appear before a General Sessions judge before he can be considered for bond.

Hooker said neighbors were “extremely concerned” for the Martin family and “really at a loss” for how to help them.

“I don't think there is much, other than to keep them in our thoughts and prayers,” she said. “It's a sad, sad situation.”

Link

Took the whole bitch make me a sammich a little far I'd say  Sucks
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 9:57:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Bow chiki bow wow
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 6:41:16 AM EDT
[#2]
bump for daywalkers
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 6:44:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Dementia

Case closed

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 6:45:33 AM EDT
[#4]
It was a split decision.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 6:46:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Geritol is a helluva drug.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 6:47:36 AM EDT
[#6]
yep about 10 miles from the house....he was a wiry looking guy...looked no more than 60 years old. they have his butt on suicide watch
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 6:48:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It was a split decision.

He had an axe to grind is all.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 6:51:51 AM EDT
[#8]
How do you punish a 90 year old for murder?
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 6:53:42 AM EDT
[#9]
As someone who lives in the general area, what struck me most about this is the murder occurred in Spartanburg and yet the neighbors were shocked...
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 6:55:56 AM EDT
[#10]
that many years with any woman and your bound to snap.

lady "dammnit harold take out the trash"

crazy old guy ~que music from "kill bill"~

i know, im going to hell

~~for real it is sad though~~
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 6:56:21 AM EDT
[#11]
The life of the wife is ended by the knife.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 6:57:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was a split decision.

He made peace with his wife and buried the hatchet...                                ...in her head.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 6:58:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Im betting 98% chance this was a "mercy killing" suicide pact thing.
or equally that he had senility.

Only maybe a 2% chance he was brutal bastard the whole time and no one knew it, if he was i think he would've killed her a long time ago.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 7:01:22 AM EDT
[#14]

90 year old arm strength and all.  Had to do it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#15]
"till death due us part"

He just got tired of waiting.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 9:24:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Hangin

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 9:33:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hangin

I'm pretty sure you just jack the AC real high.  Intolerable suffering apparently.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 9:35:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Doesn't make him a bad guy

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 9:36:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hangin

I'm pretty sure you just jack the AC real high.  Intolerable suffering apparently.

It'd probably be a good idea to make a bunch of kids run around in his yard as well.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I wonder if this guy had a  " I am a motherfucker" shirt?

ETA- Wasted post 8000 on this.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 9:46:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Guess he had enough!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 9:59:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Hide his Metamucil.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Just keep ragging on us old guys. 2 or 3 threads lately so you all been warned.––IS  
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 10:02:29 AM EDT
[#24]
BAN HATCHETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its for the old people!
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 10:07:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Saw it on the news, only about 30mi from me.

They wheeled him out on a gurney with about a dozen ratchet straps holding him down...
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 10:11:40 AM EDT
[#26]
90 huh, aalllllmost made it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 10:15:55 AM EDT
[#27]
In a related story, the suspect's mother, 112 year old Emma Martin said, "Mah baby di'nt do nuffin!"
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 10:35:25 AM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Looks like a poorly hatched plan.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 10:40:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Dementia

Case closed

this
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was a split decision.

He made peace with his wife and buried the hatchet...                                ...in her head.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
As long as we're on full speculation mode, how about he's taking the rap for a fucked up grandkid or great grand kid?

I thought the same thing.

Or someone said "Go axe your wife"............

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Life w/o parole.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:16:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Better ban hachets. It's for the seniors!
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:16:43 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was a split decision.

She made a move, he had to get it on.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:18:31 AM EDT
[#37]
"If you nag me one more time about taking out the trash...."
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:25:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

90 year old arm strength and all.  Had to do it.

Article says he was an avid walker who exercised. Perfectly possible for someone who kept fit all his life at that age.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

kill him, just like any other murderer should be punished
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Bow chiki bow wow

ah, finally an example of the first post NOT getting it right.  

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Just keep ragging on us old guys. 2 or 3 threads lately so you all been warned.––IS  

I too cosider myself an old guy, Mr. Suggins Sir.  Have you a hatchet handy?  

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Searched and didn't find this anywhere...
A 90-year-old man killed his 85-year-old wife with a hatchet Tuesday morning, Spartanburg County authorities said as they charged him with murder.

Click to enlarge
William David Martin

Sheriff's deputies arrested William David Martin, sent him to Spartanburg Regional Medical Center for an evaluation and took him to the Spartanburg County jail. Deputies and the 7th Circuit Solicitor's Office think Martin, who turned 90 on May 11, is the oldest person to be charged with murder in this judicial circuit.

Deputies said Martin's wife, Jeanette C. Martin, died at the hospital from injuries sustained from a hatchet inside their 445 Rambling Rose Way residence, which has a Moore address but is closer to the Roebuck community. An autopsy was pending.

Sheriff Chuck Wright said deputies assembled at the couple's home about 7:25 a.m. Tuesday in response to a 911 call placed by the couple's 46-year-old grandson. Wright said a simple argument turned into a death investigation.

“The only thing I can say is you probably need to pray for this family because it's very traumatic, what they're going through right now,” Wright said during a brief news conference.

A responding officer reported that the grandson had taken the hatchet from William Martin and placed it in the hall. William Martin was sitting in a chair in the living room, with the grandson standing over him, and Jeanette Moore was on the bedroom floor “severely hurt,” according to the report.

The arrival of patrol deputies, violent crimes investigators and emergency personnel in the Arbours West subdivision rattled residents of closely placed houses with manicured lawns, sculpted shrubs and “close-knit” neighbors. Sheriff's Public Information Officer Tony Ivey said deputies had no record of being called to the Martin home, and the area “is probably the lowest crime rate neighborhood” in the south region of patrol.

Brenda Hooker lives just down the street from the Martin house, and has known the couple for about 10 years. Hooker could not believe the news and said Jeanette Martin “was just a sweet lady” and recalled William “Bill” Martin was an “awfully gentle person” who walked down the street to visit Hooker's father in her home before he died.

Hooker said she never saw Bill Martin upset, never heard him utter an unkind word and couldn't remember him raising his voice.

“I wouldn't have been more shocked if this had been my own parents,” Hooker said. “That was totally out of character.”

Hooker said Bill Martin was an “avid mall walker” and kept in good physical and mental condition. She said he had been out of his home, living with his daughter, while he recovered from a pacemaker operation. Hooker said Bill Martin recently returned to his house but may have been going through a bout of depression after the operation.

William Martin sat in a wheelchair as his mug shot was taken Tuesday afternoon and as detention officers led him to an arraignment before a magistrate. He must appear before a General Sessions judge before he can be considered for bond.

Hooker said neighbors were “extremely concerned” for the Martin family and “really at a loss” for how to help them.

“I don't think there is much, other than to keep them in our thoughts and prayers,” she said. “It's a sad, sad situation.”

Link

Took the whole bitch make me a sammich a little far I'd say  Sucks

I wish I had a neighbor with the last name Hooker...

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Saw it on the news, only about 30mi from me.
They wheeled him out on a gurney with about a dozen  hatchet straps holding him down...

fixed it for you
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:46:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Dementia

Case closed

when we saw it on the news last night, first thing my wife said was that.. poor bastard is probably on suicide watch because he didn't even realize what he did until after. and now just wants to fucking end it because he killed the only person he ever loved his whole life ..fucking sad really
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Bow chiki bow wow

First post WTF

Bow chiki bow wow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top