Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/24/2010 3:31:34 PM EDT
Getting lasik week after next.  Pretty pumped.  Worn glasses for 10 years now, couldnt ever stand contacts.  

I guess now I'll finally be able to shoot MOA
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 3:35:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Not to rain on your parade, but I'm just going to mention that an arfcommer once had lasik done which turned out shitty, effectively blinding him.  He committed suicide a short time later.

Personally, I'll live with disposable contacts.  I don't care if the success rate is 99.9 percent.  The reward of not having to mess with glasses or contacts is not worth ANY risk, no matter how slight, of being permanently blinded.   In my humble opinion.

I hope you did all your research and picked out a good doc.
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 3:35:55 PM EDT
[#2]
good for you!

I did it 1 year ago and still marvel at my vision......20/400 to 20/15.

It was a little more "uncomfortable" than I was thinking but well worth it.

eta: typo correction
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Enjoy the "looking across the room at the digital clock" moment.
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 3:37:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not to rain on your parade, but I'm just going to mention that an arfcommer once had lasik done which turned out shitty, effectively blinding him.  He committed suicide a short time later.

Personally, I'll live with disposable contacts.  I don't care if the success rate is 99.9 percent.  The reward of not having to mess with glasses or contacts is not worth ANY risk, no matter how slight, of being permanently blinded.   In my humble opinion.

WELL, DEBBIE DOWNER
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 3:37:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

WELL, DEBBIE DOWNER

Yeah, I'm a real bummer-machine.
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#7]
dammit
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WELL, DEBBIE DOWNER

Crap, after that post, I think I'll kill myself..  Are you sure this guy didn't get AIDS from his Lasic surgery also?
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 3:59:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WELL, DEBBIE DOWNER

Crap, after that post, I think I'll kill myself..  Are you sure this guy didn't get AIDS from his Lasic surgery also?

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=22&t=322833

Really sad deal.
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll read that post after I get the surgery.....

If I still can...
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:49:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WELL, DEBBIE DOWNER

aside from not suby ( the guy who committed suicide)

There is I and at least 2 other people on here that regret  ever having it done

Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to rain on your parade, but I'm just going to mention that an arfcommer once had lasik done which turned out shitty, effectively blinding him. He committed suicide a short time later.

Personally, I'll live with disposable contacts. I don't care if the success rate is 99.9 percent. The reward of not having to mess with glasses or contacts is not worth ANY risk, no matter how slight, of being permanently blinded. In my humble opinion.

WELL, DEBBIE DOWNER

Crap, after that post, I think I'll kill myself.. Are you sure this guy didn't get AIDS from his Lasic surgery also?

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=22&t=322833

Really sad deal.

Holy shit!!!

Poor guy.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#13]
At least 15% of the population that wears glasses cannot undergo Lasik.  Their cornea is not thick enough.  This does not deter people and the salesmen masquerading as eye doctors.

I had Lasik done in 2004, left the office with 20/40 vision, and after one month post-op, my vision was 20/16.  It has stayed there ever since.

Do your own research and ensure that you are a good candidate and have lined up a a good surgeon, even though the equipment does all the work.

Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WELL, DEBBIE DOWNER

aside from not suby ( the guy who committed suicide)

There is I and at least 2 other people on here that regret  ever having it done

Tell us why.  I've been getting progressivily more anoyed with contacts over the last 20 years...
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Tell us why.  I've been getting progressivily more anoyed with contacts over the last 20 years...

2 years later I still have star bursts and halos around lights , lose of contrast

still get dry eyes to the point some mornings i have to pull then open by hand

and to top if off the they just got me to 20/40 and I am far sighted now and still  need glasses

Link Posted: 5/24/2010 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Put up with contacts until they can take a dna sample and grow you a new eyeball.  I'm thinking five years from now.  Every year...
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 5:01:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 5:10:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I am very glad I got lasik! Its great! I got it from the gubment too they did a pretty good job.

ETA= I have had it for a little over a year now. Also I have 20/15 now.
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I know the risk of complications is quite small (percentage wise).  Nonetheless, I have accepted the fact that I will likely be wearing contacts and glasses for the rest of my life.    
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 5:41:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I had it done.  Best thing I have ever done for myself.

I spent a buttload of cash to go to the best doctors I could find.  I did a lot of research beforehand and what the doctors said after my eval meshed very well with what I had read about being a good candidate.

I have corneas thick enough that they had enough material to reshape the eye another 2 times if it didn't go well the first time.

I was effectively blind beyond 10ft before I had it done.  Now I can read the spines on the books across my office.

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, just had it done this morning.  The procedure itself wasnt bad.  A little uncomfortable, but man....am I glad I did this.  My procedure was at 10am, and by 3-4pm I was feeling great after a nap.  

Been wearing glasses for 10 years and I am like a kid in a candy store.   They say my vision should continue to get better, but I'd be happy with it just where it is.  

Gonna wait to shoot for a week or maybe 2...  I'm curious what effect this will have on my long range iron shooting.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well, just had it done this morning.  The procedure itself wasnt bad.  A little uncomfortable, but man....am I glad I did this.  My procedure was at 10am, and by 3-4pm I was feeling great after a nap.  

Been wearing glasses for 10 years and I am like a kid in a candy store.   They say my vision should continue to get better, but I'd be happy with it just where it is.  

Gonna wait to shoot for a week or maybe 2...  I'm curious what effect this will have on my long range iron shooting.

Not to rain on your parade, but another member had it and they died. Eventually.

Congrats on da beamz!
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 9:51:33 PM EDT
[#23]
both eyes at the same time or just one?
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 9:52:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to rain on your parade, but another member had it and they died. Eventually.

Congrats on da beamz!

Oh shit, that is the funniest post ever.

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Congrats on da beamz!

Oh shit, that is the funniest post ever.

He even said "rain on your parade" too!

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

bof i's
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 10:24:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

bof i's

when you saw the doctor's name was Jesus, did you figure that meant he could heal them if something went wrong?
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I -really- want this surgery, and all these positive stories arent helping me much.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 10:42:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I -really- want this surgery, and all these positive stories arent helping me much.

Same thing I was thinking, maybe a new thread with a poll.

Who here had it and loves it

Had it and regrets it

Pie

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 10:47:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Another Debbie Downer here.  

I wanted the surgery really bad, but after reading the horror stories of a couple of the folks here, I said fuck it.  I'll accept what I have now.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:04:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I had it done about 45 days ago.  I am now 20/15.  Just make sure to use your drops.  I had dry eye until about 1 week ago.  Now I am good to go.  I never wore contacts so now that I can put on a any pair of non-prescription sunglasses is awesome.

One question for the OP, did your Dr. give you a Xanax/valium before the surgery?
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:11:13 PM EDT
[#32]
I go in for a consultation 1 week from Friday.  I am hoping my eyes will allow me to get this done because I am sick of contacts and I refuse to wear glasses.

Please don't tell me any more horror stories
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:11:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Put up with contacts until they can take a dna sample and grow you a new eyeball.  I'm thinking five years from now.  Every year...

I'm waiting for a set of these

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:31:14 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Wait 2 weeks and remember not to rub your eyes hard or at all.  Got to give that flap some time to seal up.

I had mine done in Denver (2020 Eye Institute) about 4 or 5 years ago.   Worth every penny, but was overly paranoid about lifting that flap on accident.

Friday you should be able to get a good feel for how your vision is progressing, rather how your brain is learning to process the images from your eyes without the distant focal of glasses.

Oh yeah, the drops burn, but are worth it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:47:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Yea, initially i was overwhelmed by the amount and frequency of the drops.  

At one point pre op, i was taking 4 drops per day!  

Now I'm taking these for a week, except for restasis.....thats 3 months!  also have drops to take as needed if i feel dryness/scratchiness  

xibrom (SP?)
azarite
optive
pred forte
and restasis

I'm definitely not skimping on my drops, i want this to heal asap and correctly.  When i got home and laid down, i was super paranoid about opening my eyes and having the flap come open! ...  

They prescribed me (3) 5mg tablets of Valium an was instructed to take a 1/2 a tablet the night before procedure, 1 tablet an hour before procedure, 1/2 tablet when i got home from procedure, and 1 tablet later that night before bed.  In all honesty, I didnt feel much from the Valium.

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:55:54 PM EDT
[#36]
I had it done about 7 or 8 years ago, still have 20/20.  Dryness is a slight problem but seeing in the dark is what sucks for me.  Takes me awhile to adjust.  I'ld do it again though, worth it for me.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 7:02:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Yea, initially i was overwhelmed by the amount and frequency of the drops.  

At one point pre op, i was taking 4 drops per day!  

Now I'm taking these for a week, except for restasis.....thats 3 months!  also have drops to take as needed if i feel dryness/scratchiness  

xibrom (SP?)

azarite

optive

pred forte

and restasis

I'm definitely not skimping on my drops, i want this to heal asap and correctly.  When i got home and laid down, i was super paranoid about opening my eyes and having the flap come open! ...  

They prescribed me (3) 5mg tablets of Valium an was instructed to take a 1/2 a tablet the night before procedure, 1 tablet an hour before procedure, 1/2 tablet when i got home from procedure, and 1 tablet later that night before bed.  In all honesty, I didnt feel much from the Valium.

Really, Valium?   I never had that, but I also was pretty calm during the whole thing.  I asked to watch the video 2 or 3 times because I found it interesting (it's not often you get to see that part of your body from that vantage.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 7:07:20 AM EDT
[#38]
My only advice is shop around and go to a doctor with an awesome track record.  They won't be the cheapest, but they will be the best.

I had it a few months ago and am very happy with it.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 7:10:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You wouldn't get heart surgery because a small percentage of people don't make it off the table, would you?
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 7:11:14 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You wouldn't get heart surgery because a small percentage of people don't make it off the table, would you?

Darwin is quietly tapping his fingers watching 1Andy2.....

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 7:28:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Congrats on the new eyes. My wife had it done last year and loves it. The procedure sucked for her since some on the numbing drops wore off before they did the second eye but her vision turned out great. I'm lucky enough to have 20/20, but un-luckly cross eye dominate.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 7:30:30 AM EDT
[#42]
My wife and I both got LASIK five years ago. Prior to this, we'd both worn contacts for around 15 years. I researched the complication rates, which are low. Choosing an experienced surgeon is the key. Ask them how they make the corneal flap, as this is the cause of most complications. Use the drops and don't rub your eyes.

Having said this, LASIK was the best choice I ever could've made for my eyes. My eyes weren't bad, around 20/70 on the left, and 20/80 on the right. My wife's eyes were about 20/300. I'm stil seeing 20/13, which is the next to the lowest line on the eye chart. My wife is 20/15.

I haven't had any problems with dryness, halos, night vision, or anything else. It was worth every penny.

I think the anxiety and worries about LASIK are overblown. All surgeries have some risk, and you want an elective surgery to have very, very low risks. However, even if the surgeon completely screwed up the procedure and scarred your entire cornea, you could still get a corneal transplant. Obviously, you don't want this to happen, but it's not like you'd permanently lose vision.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 7:34:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Do your research. I had it done about 4 years ago. Went form awful sight to 20/10. Had starburst around lights at night for about a year. Took about as long to get my eyes adjusted to shoot with a scope. Glad I did it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 7:38:02 AM EDT
[#44]
I despise my glasses and contacts.  I can't wait to get the surgery.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 7:38:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Best money I ever spent.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 8:19:06 AM EDT
[#46]
I had mine done, very happy with the resualts.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 8:23:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You will have to give a AAR for your night time vision.  I have been thinking about doing this also.  I would wear contacts but the big problem is I work in a chemistry lab and I can't wear them at work so.  I would basically just be able to wear them on nights and weekends which seems like a hassle.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 8:30:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Not to rain on your parade, the incidence of serious eye infections, eye ulcers, permanent corneal damage and optic nerve damage caused by bacterial and viral infection from contact lens use is much higher than that of Lasik.  

If you are worried about it, stick with glasses.  They are the safest bet.  Anything you do to or put in your eyes involves risk and or possible blindness.

ETA:  I had Lasik 4 years ago.  My vision was bad enough that it if got much worse, I would have been borderline legally blind.  I have been 20/10 in both eyes since.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 8:32:56 AM EDT
[#49]
It will take your eyes 6 months to heal

I would not be getting behind an AR for a while. Blowback.
you know how you get that dust in your eyes after shooting alot. That could royally f*ck your right eye up.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 8:33:25 AM EDT
[#50]
I had it done twice.  The second time was a "follow up" to the first.  After a year, my vision deteriorated, and I had it done a second time (refinement i think they call it).  since then, no problems.  no halos. no starbursts.  second time was a bitch.  would do it again though (just probably not the second time... nothing like having someone pick the flap off your eye with a tiny hook while you are sitting in a chair not sedated)

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top