Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 8:42:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I need to start working on obtaining lasik. Any .mil members know what the process is?
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 8:53:10 AM EDT
[#2]
The .mil is sending me to Wright - Pat next week to get PRK, I'm looking foward to shooting with modified safety glasses
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 8:54:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I need to start working on obtaining lasik. Any .mil members know what the process is?

What branch are you in? If AF, I can help you out.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What branch are you in? If AF, I can help you out.

USAF. Sending you an IM.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Not to rain on your parade, but I'm just going to mention that an arfcommer once had lasik done which turned out shitty, effectively blinding him.  He committed suicide a short time later.

Personally, I'll live with disposable contacts.  I don't care if the success rate is 99.9 percent.  The reward of not having to mess with glasses or contacts is not worth ANY risk, no matter how slight, of being permanently blinded.   In my humble opinion.

I hope you did all your research and picked out a good doc.

You wouldn't get heart surgery because a small percentage of people don't make it off the table, would you?

Darwin is quietly tapping his fingers watching 1Andy2.....  

Arfcom lacks the appropriate smiley for me to give you an accurate response.  So use your imagination.

[thebird]
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:57:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:04:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Done in Oct 2009. 20/15 both eyes but am right-eye dominate and went pistol shooting this past weekend. Target in focus, sights a little out. 25 yds was interesting. 7 yds was gtg.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:09:06 PM EDT
[#8]
is PRK the safer procedure?
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to rain on your parade, but I'm just going to mention that an arfcommer once had lasik done which turned out shitty, effectively blinding him.  He committed suicide a short time later.

Personally, I'll live with disposable contacts.  I don't care if the success rate is 99.9 percent.  The reward of not having to mess with glasses or contacts is not worth ANY risk, no matter how slight, of being permanently blinded.   In my humble opinion.

You wouldn't get heart surgery because a small percentage of people don't make it off the table, would you?

Arfcom lacks the appropriate smiley for me to give you an accurate response.  So use your imagination.

[thebird]

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:15:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

[thebird]

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I had RK (pre-Lasik) done in about 1995...best thing I have ever done.

I do wish I had waited for Lasik, but still happy with the results.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:20:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Well, just had it done this morning.  The procedure itself wasnt bad.  A little uncomfortable, but man....am I glad I did this.  My procedure was at 10am, and by 3-4pm I was feeling great after a nap.  

Been wearing glasses for 10 years and I am like a kid in a candy store.   They say my vision should continue to get better, but I'd be happy with it just where it is.  

Gonna wait to shoot for a week or maybe 2...  I'm curious what effect this will have on my long range iron shooting.

Congrats on getting it done.  I had Lasik back in 2000 and my vision is still around 20/13 to 20/15, depending on the day.  FWIW, I shot rifleman scores a few times this past weekend at my first appleseed shoot with an A2-uppered carbine, so apparently it has helped my vision a bit.  I used to have worse than 20/500.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

With PRK, the recovery time is much longer.  The surgeon removed the outer layer of the eye, zaps and reshapes the cornea then places a band-aid like contact lens over the removed portion.  The lens stays in and will eventually dissolve as the eye heals.  This takes several weeks.  In the meantime, it will feel like you have a grain of sand in your eyes (this is what I have been told).  

With Lasik, the surgeon makes a flap, peels it back, zaps and reshapes and replaces the flap.  The eye immediately begins to heal.  Recovery time is a few days with no direct contact to the eyes (rubbing, water from shower etc...) for a few weeks.  Then you are good to go.  Minimal pain or discomfort, I didn't have any.

As far as safety, they are both safe.  IMHO, lasik is safer as there is a shorter recovery time and less chance of irritation and infection caused by the band aid contact.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

With PRK, the recovery time is much longer.  The surgeon removed the outer layer of the eye, zaps and reshapes the cornea then places a band-aid like contact lens over the removed portion.  The lens stays in and will eventually dissolve as the eye heals.  This takes several weeks.  In the meantime, it will feel like you have a grain of sand in your eyes (this is what I have been told).  

With Lasik, the surgeon makes a flap, peels it back, zaps and reshapes and replaces the flap.  The eye immediately begins to heal.  Recovery time is a few days with no direct contact to the eyes (rubbing, water from shower etc...) for a few weeks.  Then you are good to go.  Minimal pain or discomfort, I didn't have any.

As far as safety, they are both safe.  IMHO, lasik is safer as there is a shorter recovery time and less chance of irritation and infection caused by the band aid contact.

The reason the .mil is making me get PRK vs. Lasik, is that I am a weapons instructor, and I was told by my doctor that the M107 has enough pressure on the recoil to posibly dislodge the flap. Also she said that they are getting better results with PRK.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The reason the .mil is making me get PRK vs. Lasik, is that I am a weapons instructor, and I was told by my doctor that the M107 has enough pressure on the recoil to posibly dislodge the flap. Also she said that they are getting better results with PRK.

If they are paying for it, go for the PRK.  I have had no problems firing any weapons after Lasik.  Within a few weeks of having my eyes zapped, I was firing everything from .45LC, 264 Win Mag, .270, 50BMG and Full auto toys such as Uzi's and M4's.  

Their dime, their rules.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 2:52:26 PM EDT
[#16]

If they are paying for it, go for the PRK.  I have had no problems firing any weapons after Lasik.  Within a few weeks of having my eyes zapped, I was firing everything from .45LC, 264 Win Mag, .270, 50BMG and Full auto toys such as Uzi's and M4's.  

Their dime, their rules.  

Well I was told that when I get up there I will get to choose between the two. If you have had no problems firing weapons, mainly .50 and up, I might ask for Lasik. I'm still not sure though which one I want.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 3:10:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Did it a year and a half ago

love it

20/200 then

20/15 now

6 ish months to get rid of side effects, none now.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 4:18:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Want it.

Cant afford it.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Had it done three weeks ago..... right eye was GTG right off( 20/15)... the left (20/20)has taken a little longer to normalize.... but I think the left has gotten better in the last week.. I will know for sure in two weeks on  my next checkup, it sure is sweet to have no glasses or contacts. I only have dry eye issues in the morning, so far I am glad I did it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 4:34:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Want it.

Cant afford it.

Join the army
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Want it.

Cant afford it.

Almost every eye place will have a financing plan. If you're willing to deal with a monthly payment, that might be a possible way to go. The trick is to find a reputable eye place.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well, just had it done this morning.  The procedure itself wasnt bad.  A little uncomfortable, but man....am I glad I did this.  My procedure was at 10am, and by 3-4pm I was feeling great after a nap.  

Been wearing glasses for 10 years and I am like a kid in a candy store.   They say my vision should continue to get better, but I'd be happy with it just where it is.  

Gonna wait to shoot for a week or maybe 2...  I'm curious what effect this will have on my long range iron shooting.

Congrats! I had my eyes done 4 weeks ago tomorrow. My thread on it is here. Don't let the "some guy committed suicide!" bit get to you, reading his threads and doing some basic internet research showed that the doc he went to was known for being a useless shitbag. Not to speak ill of the guy, but well...it looks like, from my perspective, his whole situation could have been avoidable. But, YMMV.

I haven't gotten to the range yet either; probably this weekend I'm gonna try the modified peepers out.

My first checkup (last Thursday), I easily read the 20/20 lines, and after letting my eyes focus for a bit, could read 20/15. The doc explained that while the first %95 of healing is pretty quick, that last %5 might take a while depending on the person, hence why reading 20/15 wasn't an immediate thing. I'm comfortable with that. It's still a novelty waking up and being able to read the stupid alarm clock.

I can't wait to see how well it works (or doesn't) at the range

Nighttime stuff has halos around lights (think foggy night, kind of like that, but ONLY around lights; everything else is crystal clear). But, since I had them before while wearing glasses, I'm not noticing much difference. If it gets better, I'll be extremely happy (and they tell me it will). If it stays the same, I won't be any worse off anyway.

One thing you'll notice...an appaling lack of protective eyewear when you start doing things You'll find yourself putting on eyepro for everything now, to protect the expensive eyes...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top