BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's been good for me. To be completely honest when the whole stupid lockdown happened I started drinking a LOT out of boredom. Then when I got the Rona and was in the hospital I also suffered withdrawals at the same time. Not fun. So while I was in the hospital I ordered the rustler. It's been keeping my hands busy and giving me something to do with the kids.
View Quote
Yea for me the project is just as fun (if not more) than the result. I work on it when I want a little bit at a time over a few months but I always enjoy thinking about what I'm going to do and how I'm going to do it.

Right now I'd like to figure out a nice way to mount dual 35mm fans on the 1515 similar to the way I've done on my infraction and xmaxx with 40mm fans.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 4:44:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
In this thread I learn that my hobby budget is smaller than most.

Looks like fun!
View Quote
There's still plenty of fun to be had at lower price points!
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:48:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Check out the PowerHobby Twister fan. It's 40mm but you only need one. They also sell mounts for different size motors. I have one on my 2200kv and it's like a little Tornado. I liked it so much I ordered another one for my inbound something I said I just ordered. Lemme find the links for you.

ETA:

Fan
Fan Mount

One mount will hold one fan. The link I posted is for motors 40-42mm in diameter. If you really bash hard I'd use 2 but probably still not necessary. The fan comes with a switch that plugs into a 3s battery. I've been running it straight off my receiver at 7.4V and it's been fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yea for me the project is just as fun (if not more) than the result. I work on it when I want a little bit at a time over a few months but I always enjoy thinking about what I'm going to do and how I'm going to do it.

Right now I'd like to figure out a nice way to mount dual 35mm fans on the 1515 similar to the way I've done on my infraction and xmaxx with 40mm fans.

Check out the PowerHobby Twister fan. It's 40mm but you only need one. They also sell mounts for different size motors. I have one on my 2200kv and it's like a little Tornado. I liked it so much I ordered another one for my inbound something I said I just ordered. Lemme find the links for you.

ETA:

Fan
Fan Mount

One mount will hold one fan. The link I posted is for motors 40-42mm in diameter. If you really bash hard I'd use 2 but probably still not necessary. The fan comes with a switch that plugs into a 3s battery. I've been running it straight off my receiver at 7.4V and it's been fine.
Thanks. I'll probably give the mount a try. I've already got some 40mm fans. It just seems like two 35mm fans would fit the motor better.

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I ordered that powerhobby mount. It came today and I think it will work out. I'll probably go with dual 40mm fans as that's what I'm using for everything else and I've already got the parts from ALZARacing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 1:37:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 1:41:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Nice. I got my other one yesterday as well as another 40mm fan and mounted it on my Outcast. I went with 2 mounts though since I plan to beat the crap out of this truck.
View Quote
Nice. That's a good idea. I'm not sure if there's enough room on the 1515 for that though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 9:48:07 PM EDT
[#8]
OP, how are you liking the widemaxx so far?

I have a Xmaxx with the widemaxx kit and absolutely love it, its a huge difference in improvement. The only thing that sucks is that turning radius is longer.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:23:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP, how are you liking the widemaxx so far?

I have a Xmaxx with the widemaxx kit and absolutely love it, its a huge difference in improvement. The only thing that sucks is that turning radius is longer.
View Quote
Honestly haven't really even used it yet. I'm pretty slow with projects

It's almost done though, I'll definitely get it done for when the weather is nicer.

This is the current state of it.
Attachment Attached File

I've put in a castle 1515 mamba monster x system with the Traxxas motor mount for a bigger motor, promodeler DS635 servo with castle BEC, Traxxas steel driveshafts, VG racing springs, hardened steel hinge pins.

The issue right now is how small the receiver box is and how much castle telemetry and BEC stuff I'm trying to put in it. You can kind of see in the picture I glued two receiver boxes together to make it taller but it's still not enough. I've got a 3rd one coming.

I think it's going to be a fun little truck though.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 1:00:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 1:09:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Let me know how you like that ProModeler servo.
View Quote
I have tested it at 8v. It's crazy fast and strong.

I also have the stronger 845 in my xmaxx.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 1:38:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'll have to give one a shot then. New Limitless seems like a good candidate.
View Quote
They seem to strongly recommend a separate battery pack for it. I think the castle BEC 2.0wp is plenty.

and I use this to wire it all https://www.promodeler.com/HV2SV-D
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 3:02:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The XLX2 has a 20amp BEC. I would definitely think that's enough. I don't need the strongest and fastest for speed running anyways.
View Quote
Yea true. I'm using a mamba monster x and mamba monster x8s which I think are 8amps.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 5:47:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:18:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'll still look into one for sure. They seem like great servos.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yea true. I'm using a mamba monster x and mamba monster x8s which I think are 8amps.

I'll still look into one for sure. They seem like great servos.
Yea. I've got a protek 155s in my infraction. It's plenty good, but had I known about Promodeler sooner I definitely would have gotten a DS635 instead. It's better in every way and cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 10:06:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I wish they had the WideMaxx in a kit, or any other recent offering other than the TRX4.  75% of the fun for me in any hobby is building the kit.  Then playing with it for a few hours, then upgrading it.  More than a decade ago I had a TMaxx that had pretty much nothing stock on it when I sold it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 6:03:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I wish they had the WideMaxx in a kit, or any other recent offering other than the TRX4.  75% of the fun for me in any hobby is building the kit.  Then playing with it for a few hours, then upgrading it.  More than a decade ago I had a TMaxx that had pretty much nothing stock on it when I sold it.
View Quote
Yea without electronics. Even the trx4 kit I got had all the electronics that I just ended up replacing anyways. I also enjoy the project more than anything.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 8:59:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 9:45:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yea same here. My donor car arrived yesterday so I'll slowly start transferring over stuff and upgrading a few things here and there now that I know exactly what I want in a speed run car. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/262514/74CD57D6-1A1C-4483-81AD-04903127ACCA-2357665.jpg
View Quote
Very cool. I actually just got carbon fiber parts for the very first time. Some shock towers and motor mount plate for the mini b.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 11:47:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:17:16 PM EDT
[#23]
So a little disappointment. I got the Maxx all finished up with the castle mamba monster x 1515 combo. It ran fine low speed in the basement for testing it. Got it outside and squeeze full throttle it takes off then stutters and cuts out. I go to give it throttle again and it cogs like crazy like it can't tell where the motor position is. I looked it all over and everything looked ok. I turned it off then back on and the light looked normal but it was no longer making the startup tones. I take it in double check all the settings on the castle link and it all looks good too but I completely erased it and loaded the firmware again and all the settings. Brought it back outside and when I pushed it it would take off stuttering. It then stopped and restarted and I heard the startup tones again. Then nothing. The light shows green/yellow/red like it should depend on throttle but it's not moving at all.

After that I tried the Xmaxx with the mamba monster x 8s 1717 combo and that thing is just nuts now. But at very low speed or stopped giving it full throttle it seems to cut out too. I'm guessing it's some sort of high current thing? I'll have to check the logs on that at some point.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Aaannddd the Xmaxx is out of service  
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What happened? Something else or same thing you posted above?
View Quote
Hit a rock and smashed off the fan mount

Today I didn't notice any hesitation issues. Maybe the SMC DV extreme 6900mah batteries I used yesterday weren't enough. But I think they would be fine.
Today I used CNHL 9500mah batteries.

Also Amain had 26% off the mamba monster x 1515 combo so I just ordered another one. Still not sure what's wrong with the one in the car though. I figured even if it is something simple or only one thing for the price I can have a spare or something for another future project or just sell it.

And I also ordered some powerhobby fan mounts xmaxx now like what I put on the Maxx
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 3:24:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 8:54:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Good deal. I'm waiting on some things to come back in stock at Scorched RC so I can continue the build. Also ordered some Vitavon Bulkheads. Hopefully in the next month or so I'll have a complete roller. Still trying to figure out motor selection. Planned on running the XLX2 with 1100kv 2028. Now I'm thinking of running a TP 5660 1460kv.
View Quote

It's addicting for sure

This morning I ordered the stuff for the wideMaxx for the Xmaxx. It's about $35 cheaper over the kit and I don't need the spring as I already have some from VG. I also ordered the new xmaxx sledgehammer tires. Hopefully that will help tame some of the craziness from all the extra power now.

If you're going strictly for speed what about the 1721?
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 7:20:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Turns out it's the mamba monster x that's toast. Motor seems fine.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 5:01:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Hope they take care of you
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Well that sucks. What does the log say? Any indication why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Turns out it's the mamba monster x that's toast. Motor seems fine.

Well that sucks. What does the log say? Any indication why?
Actually never even looked at the log. I just tried the motor with another ESC and it worked fine, then the mamba monster with another motor and it still didn't work. Still no startup beeps and won't calibrate. When I give it full throttle the fan spins for a second like is restarting though.

It's already packaged up ready to go back tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Hope they take care of you
View Quote
Yea. We'll see what they say. According to the website a warranty claim can take like up to 2.5-3 months. I already ordered a replacement.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#36]
These have officially hit my radar!

I got to experience what my neighbors' can do.  Pretty nimble unit and fast as heck!  I took some still shots this past Saturday out by our houses of a little jump he was backflipping off that crosses a SxS trail.  First attempt and hit right into the face and just kept on going all day.  Actually, he was only one that didn't break.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#37]
New mamba monster X and the Maxx is running!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 2:44:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks - I think - for your posts OP!  Put a blue one of these V2's on my radar and just picked this one up for $380 locally on for sale board with box and original stuff.  I probably won't get as rad as you have with yours, at least until I learn how to drive it, ha!  But have some wiggle room I can justify dumping into it as it progresses at least.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#39]
That's a pretty great price! Yea sometimes I go overboard, I just like the projects

use it until something breaks then fix/replace it. I never even used the stock system.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Ya, was wild, missed out on it the night before I got it, but buyer never came through.  Yay-me!

I hear you on the projects, that is the best part of this hobby.  I am kinda hooked on the crawl stuff, not over the top, but like getting out with the friends and hitting the rocks.  In fact, I will be cutting qty(88) LCG stainless steel chassis here at work from 12ga(even though paperwork says 11ga as they get cut at that setting on these) and will have my "project-hands" pretty full, lol!

Attachment Attached File

A handful of special chassis will have distressed flags and AR-15's laser etched into shock towers, too!  Most will be stubby-rear chassis as I have found much better to get out of stuff without the frame tangs.

Attachment Attached File

YAY-projects, lol!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top