Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Page / 51
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Put together a video from my second year of diving

Link Posted: 10/5/2018 11:03:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Storms forecast for all day tomorrow. Buddy and I cancelled. I’m sad as there is so little time left in the season, but viz would be bad from all the rain. I get to sleep in.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Incoming rant...

Instructor has been bugging me again about starting DM this winter. Not just no, but hell no. You’re expected to crew the dive boat, with much toting of other people’s gear, getting lots of rental tanks to the boat, help other people out of the water. I can’t physically do it. I have my hands full with my own gear and need help up the ladder. What part of no do these people not understand? Makes me mad enough to spit! Plus the cost (SDI/PADI concurrently and you have to do both) and new BC on top of that (I’d not be able to dive my BP/W, which is all I’ve ever dived). Fuck that. No means no! Sorry. Needed to vent.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't blame you for not wanting to do DM, physical constraints notwithstanding. Most DM's are nothing more than the OWSI's bitch, doing all grunt work on a boat or dive class.

I suffered that crap when I was coming up and when I became an OWSI, I never treated my DM's like serfs and we never DM'd a boat that our store didn't have an exclusive charter on.

Anymore, I show a Master SCUBA Diver card when I have to. Sounds to me like you have enough- or close to it- specialties to qualify for that.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 9:20:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FB41:
I don't blame you for not wanting to do DM, physical constraints notwithstanding. Most DM's are nothing more than the OWSI's bitch, doing all grunt work on a boat or dive class.

I suffered that crap when I was coming up and when I became an OWSI, I never treated my DM's like serfs and we never DM'd a boat that our store didn't have an exclusive charter on.

Anymore, I show a Master SCUBA Diver card when I have to. Sounds to me like you have enough- or close to it- specialties to qualify for that.
View Quote
I’ve had my MSD card since last fall.

My shop has a charter arm that has the boat.

I have no desire to teach. I don’t have the temperament for it. I’m not patient all, and I can’t stand stupid people. I don’t have much of a filter, so someone does something stupid, I’d most likely call them on it. Plus, I’m on the path to tech so I can dive deeper Great Lakes wrecks. Following around OW students at the quarry doesn’t fit into that. A gal I know I’ve been diving with a lot on the lake this season wants to do DM, but she also wants to be on the lake all summer diving. She thinks she can go through the course and then just help out with pool sessions in the winter and then occasionally crew the boat in the summer. I have a couple of friends who just got DM through our shop recently. I know exactly what they went through. They kept me updated as I was the only one in our rescue class who chose not to go on to DM. I’ve told the gal that it doesn’t work the way she thinks.

On an unrelated note, I’ve really stepped up my work outs. I’m doing 10 miles in 45 minutes on the recumbent bike at the gym and lots of weight work (with 5 lbers for now) at home. Lots of standing pushups (I can’t do even modified ones due to my knees). I feel great. Would like to take off another 10-20 lbs between now and April.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 9:24:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Slowly working my way through Deco for Divers. I am so not a science person (nor math).
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 10:18:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Marie:
Put together a video from my second year of diving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4MArS6cnBA
View Quote
Nice. I like the shot with the bubbles going up the rope.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By KingRat:
Nice. I like the shot with the bubbles going up the rope.
View Quote
Thanks! That was from my Lake Huron trip in August.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Incoming rant...

Instructor has been bugging me again about starting DM this winter. Not just no, but hell no. You’re expected to crew the dive boat, with much toting of other people’s gear, getting lots of rental tanks to the boat, help other people out of the water. I can’t physically do it. I have my hands full with my own gear and need help up the ladder. What part of no do these people not understand? Makes me mad enough to spit! Plus the cost (SDI/PADI concurrently and you have to do both) and new BC on top of that (I’d not be able to dive my BP/W, which is all I’ve ever dived). Fuck that. No means no! Sorry. Needed to vent.
View Quote
You have to remember that you are a dollar sign to your dive shop. Every single time you walk in, you are the potential for commission and sales.

There's a couple new sales people at the shop I teach at. And since I don't teach as often as some other instructors they don't know that I teach for the shop. Their schtick isn't even subtle. I can sell ice to an Eskimo, but when I teach I only help people make good decisions toward getting gear if they're interested. Because I don't want people to buy gear and never use it and resent the choice to get it. The only class that I actively solicit divers to get is Nitrox and only if they appear that they want to be lifelong divers. And Nitrox is one of the cheapest classes to take.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 8:24:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TailHunter:

You have to remember that you are a dollar sign to your dive shop. Every single time you walk in, you are the potential for commission and sales.
View Quote
They’ll likely make more off me going tech than being a DM!
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 10:32:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 10:44:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#12]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1878/GOPR0181-001-698960.jpg

When you see it, you will shit bricks!
View Quote
See what?

As long as it’s not a fucking catfish or a shark...
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 11:08:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#13]
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 11:10:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 11:17:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
Left shoulder.

Somebody really missed his power inflator when he hit twenty feet, that's about where I add the first squirt of air.  I am very thin on my weighting in the lake as no current, only four pounds of lead with my 95 so I can fake it a bit just varying my lung expansion before it becomes a real nusiance.  I changed inflator hoses and blamed the new hose as being bad till I grabbed the inflator.  This dive was to check that reg set.  I need a shorter octo hose too.  That one should be centered on my neck.  I was going to manually inflate it and continue the dive till I noticed it was a bit extra floppy.  Then I checked by feel and found the missing hose and just re-connected it under water.

That was today at the lake.  The Army Core about locked me in the campground.  They left a thirty minute notice on the windshield when I was down.  I was down for 71 min total.
View Quote
Now I see it!

I don’t do the weird shit like standing on my head underwater, etc. When I do weird shit, my mask floods. I hate that with a passion, so I don’t do weird shit anymore.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 11:33:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Thought I was done for the season on the lake. Not quite.

My shop's charter op just acquired a dive boat based out of Milwaukee, and my season pass covers that boat, too! Buddy and I are scheduled to dive the Milwaukee Carferry and the Willie on the 21st. If we don't get blown out, of course! Get to redo the deep dive where I got lovely dark narced a month ago.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Found a pair of used LP50 with right/left valves online for $400. Guy was in FL and was only willing to ship if buyer sent him the packing materials. Trying to do that from a distance will likely be too much of a pita so I passed.

Buying online new - $480 new with taxes and shipping from NE Scuba Supply. $78 for 2 SM valves from DGX with free shipping. I’d have to pay $25 x 2 for VIP at my shop. That puts me just over $600. It’s just not worth the trouble when maybe for about $60 more I can just walk into my shop to pick up tanks that already have the correct valves on them, and filled.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 10:59:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#18]
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 4:53:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Finally got some SM underwater time yesterday. Screen shot from video buddy took.

Fair to middling.

Link Posted: 10/14/2018 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Selling my one pair of galvanized HP80s to my dive buddy over the winter. He tried one yesterday and loved it for single tank backmount. I had never done them SM before yesterday. They are awful. One side is too heavy and made me lopsided! My two pairs of painted Fabers are just fine.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Just put a deposit down for a trip to Tobermory, Ontario, next July. Yay! Going through a dive shop in Ohio.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Just put a deposit down for a trip to Tobermory, Ontario, next July. Yay! Going through a dive shop in Ohio.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By jerrwhy01:

View Quote
Dive shop has reserved the cottage Diver's Den has next to the shop. Sleeps 6. Another hotel nearby for the overflow. $500 for the trip (diving and lodging). 4 dives on a Friday and 2 Saturday. Travel Thursday and Sunday, but since I'm coming from the Chicago area, I've taken off another day on either side of the trip. Will be driving to Toledo and carpooling from there. Toby is a 10 hour drive from the Chicago area.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:12:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Dive shop has reserved the cottage Diver's Den has next to the shop. Sleeps 6. Another hotel nearby for the overflow. $500 for the trip (diving and lodging). 4 dives on a Friday and 2 Saturday. Travel Thursday and Sunday, but since I'm coming from the Chicago area, I've taken off another day on either side of the trip. Will be driving to Toledo and carpooling from there. Toby is a 10 hour drive from the Chicago area.
View Quote
The wife and I have made several trips to Tobermory to dive. A few were in our car, one was in our sailboat.

There are a couple of shore dives that you can do there right from the main harbor. The Arabia should be on your must do list, but be warned it's deep (100+ feet) and very cold. Because of those two factors there are usually a couple of fatalities on it every year. However, it's a pretty spectacular wreck. The Forrest City is also a darn good wreck. However, it sits in about 150 feet of water so some type of deco training will be necessary.

There isn't much else to really do in Tobermory unless you dive or kayak. You can pretty much walk around the entire town in about 10 minutes and that includes shopping.

It's easier to drive up to Port Huron and cross over in Sarnia rather than dealing with Detroit and all its BS. Making the crossing at Port Huron allows you to drive alongside much of the lake and provides some pretty spectacular views. There are a couple of little towns like Goderich, Kincardine, and Port Elgin that are quaint.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:23:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _RAGNAR_] [#25]
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:30:39 PM EDT
[#26]

The wife and I have made several trips to Tobermory to dive. A few were in our car, one was in our sailboat.

There are a couple of shore dives that you can do there right from the main harbor. The Arabia should be on your must do list, but be warned it's deep (100+ feet) and very cold. Because of those two factors there are usually a couple of fatalities on it every year. However, it's a pretty spectacular wreck. The Forrest City is also a darn good wreck. However, it sits in about 150 feet of water so some type of deco training will be necessary.

There isn't much else to really do in Tobermory unless you dive or kayak. You can pretty much walk around the entire town in about 10 minutes and that includes shopping.

It's easier to drive up to Port Huron and cross over in Sarnia rather than dealing with Detroit and all its BS. Making the crossing at Port Huron allows you to drive alongside much of the lake and provides some pretty spectacular views. There are a couple of little towns like Goderich, Kincardine, and Port Elgin that are quaint.
View Quote
Trip is through a dive shop in Toledo. Driving to Toledo the day before they leave for Toby means I can carpool and not have to drive the rest of the way. Cuts my driving in half.

The Arabia is one wreck I want to do. However, I’m already doing some deeper dives on local wrecks and will be doing some deep dives at a regional quarry with a deep side that goes down to 130ft. I’ll also have a number of deeper (100ft plus) dives on my Straits trip 2nd weekend of June. I’ll be diving the Milwaukee Carferry on Sunday if we’re not blown out. 130ft to the sand. Month ago on the same wreck we dropped down to 117ft to see the huge twin props.

Very cold? Remember I’m the crazy coldwater chick that was diving wet down to 43F earlier this season! I’m diving dry again and loving my new Fusion. I have a good dry glove system (Waterproof Ultima). Bought a used Thermal Fusion undersuit that will be arriving later this week.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:32:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#27]
Originally Posted By _RAGNAR_:
good

DIR is the way to go
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By _RAGNAR_:
Got my BP/W tonight. DRIS had it all assembled for me and spent an hour helping me get it adjusted correctly. I'll be using it in the pool tomorrow.Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
good

DIR is the way to go
That was one hell of an old post. Two years ago!

I’m not doing a twinset. Too heavy for my bum knees. I’ve taken up sidemount this year. And I will make it work, even off Great Lakes dive boats. Not ideal, but I’ll make it work.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#28]

That was one hell of an old post. Two years ago!

I’m not doing a twinset. Too heavy for my bum knees. I’ve taken up sidemount this year. And I will make it work, even off Great Lakes dive boats. Not ideal, but I’ll make it work.
View Quote
I've never dove sidemount off a boat, just off of land-based entry type of sites... but it seems like it would be vastly easier as far as doffing the gear and coming up the ladder. Un-bungee the valve, unclip the butt, swing upward while you're still in the water, they grab the butt leash, you unclip the neck leash from the shoulder D-ring... bam, done. With chop or waves I can see that method becoming an issue, but that's how I do it every time I have to take tanks off and I did it in water that was deeper than I am tall a few months ago with few issues... there was nothing to hold on to, so I un-clipped one tank and breathed off of it as I wedged myself under the stairs while undoing the other one, then just held them by the valves and walked up the stairs from the depths
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Today there was a gale warning for commercial shipping and a small craft advisory on much of the Great Lakes. Was seriously wondering if the boat tomorrow was going to go out, but it is! On the dive op's new boat out of Milwaukee (the boat and captain was transferred from another charter op).
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Finally sold my original drysuit - to the wife of a US military officer in Europe.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 9:10:06 PM EDT
[#31]
My dive shop/charter op organized a cleanup dive at the Hammond, IN marina the boat goes out of. We only dived around 3 docks and it's a large facility. I found a skateboard! Divers also brought up a telescope, 2 old fashioned all metal patio chairs, a satellite dish on a pole, a patio umbrella with a 20ft concrete base (one diver came prepared with a lift bag for such items), several bottles of vodka, lots of plastic cups, some 4ft sections of metal pipe, plastic bags. Very few beverage cans or bottles. I expected to see more of those.

Tested out my new Thermal Fusion (bought used online) drysuit undergarment today. I was in toasty in 52F water for an hour. Dry gloves really help.

Off to Gilboa Quarry in Ohio in two weeks for a weekend of dives with some friends. After that, a New Year's Day shore wreck dive from the Hammond Marina. Otherwise, just pool sessions once a month until the quarry opens in early April.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 10:37:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:01:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Had a really good dive down to 100 feet today with a buddy I haven’t seen in a long time.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#34]
That's great.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:47:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:
Had a really good dive down to 100 feet today with a buddy I haven’t seen in a long time.
View Quote
Nice! I’m off to Gilboa Quarry in OH next weekend for a few deeper dives. Their deep side goes down to 135 or so. I’ll be diving SM. Water should be around 40-45 on the deep side.

Just found out my regular dive buddy will be going on my Straits trip next June.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:09:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#36]

I'd still like my tanks to ride a little higher toward my armpit, and closer to my back than they do... but otherwise I feel pretty good about my diving yesterday after having only been in the water twice this year. Definitely want to go as frequently as possible now that it's cooling off!

And yes, there is slack in the line... but preventing a runaway ascent trumps two feet of slack
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:19:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Just checked the temps for the OH quarry temps next weekend - high 30s, lows in mid 20s. Glad I’m diving dry with nice warm new undies. Buddy is bringing a canopy and tarps for the sides, plus propane heater. I’m bringing my wee camping stove that takes sterno. Hot water for tea.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:16:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#38]
After watching the video from our dive on Friday, I realized my upper dump valve on my Nomad is sticking/leaking a small but steady stream of bubbles. Hopefully I can rectify that myself this week.

Also need to see if the way I rigged my AL40 is copacetic and as streamlined as it feels, although I might have to rotate the rigging on the bottle to make it sit differently. I tried deploying the reg in practice on the swim back last week and couldn't get the entire hose loose so I think I had inadvertently snagged it on one of my main bottles. Either way, not important since I'm not doing deco dives... just want it to be ready to go when I am.

Also really enjoyed the shock when my buddy asked me if that was the same wetsuit I'd always had because of how much easier it zips up now that I've lost so much weight.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#39]
I actually got wet this weekend for the first time in months.

A buddy lost a couple of really nice custom fishing rods in one of the lakes and was smart enough to mark the spot on his GPS.

Offered me $100 to see if I could find them, so I went.

Visibility was about 4' in the lake, so I hovered about 3' off the bottom and used a stick to drag the bottom lightly as I did the circle and grid search patterns. I found the first rod in about 15 minutes and thought this is gonna be a piece of cake. HAH!

After 2 tanks and about 2.5 hours, I found the last rod. My pal was ecstatic and I told him to buy lunch and refill my tanks and we were even.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 7:51:48 PM EDT
[#40]

A buddy lost a couple of really nice custom fishing rods in one of the lakes and was smart enough to mark the spot on his GPS.

Visibility was about 4' in the lake, so I hovered about 3' off the bottom and used a stick to drag the bottom lightly as I did the circle and grid search patterns. I found the first rod in about 15 minutes and thought this is gonna be a piece of cake. HAH!

After 2 tanks and about 2.5 hours, I found the last rod. My pal was ecstatic and I told him to buy lunch and refill my tanks and we were even.
View Quote
I did this in Sand Lake so many years ago. Dad went fishing with my uncle and uncle dropped my brand new rod and reel overboard. Good news was dad did a quick visual 3 point triangle. I went back in my snorkel gear a week later and it was still there in perfect condition.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#41]
I did this in Sand Lake so many years ago. Dad went fishing with my uncle and uncle dropped my brand new rod and reel overboard. Good news was dad did a quick visual 3 point triangle. I went back in my snorkel gear a week later and it was still there in perfect condition.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Lake Marian for me.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Off to Gilboa Quarry in NW Ohio. We got about 1.5” of snow overnight. Roads are clear.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:57:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Cold water and weather diving!  Gilboa Quarry in northwest Ohio. Air temp in the morning was 25F. Wind chill was much worse. We had a shelter and a propane heater. Water temp was 52F - twice the air temp! Buddy and I had planned on 4 dives yesterday and 2 today (I drove 5 hours each way), but the wind just killed us, so only the 2 dives yesterday. Diving was good - sidemount as buddy and I are both fairly new at it.  Viz was 20 to 25 ft. These were the last dives of the season for me until April, unless I do a New Year’s Day dive.

Webbing straps on BC and computers froze between dives. No reg issues - we didn’t breathe from them on the surface. That propane heater was awesome! I was toasty in drysuit, dry gloves, and Thermal Fusion undersuit. I definitely need to get a p-valve installed!

Pic is after dives were done.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:14:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:54:54 AM EDT
[#45]
I must be fucking crazy, but here goes.

I'm rethinking SM. It's great once I'm in the water, but gearing up is a PITA. Those damned bungees. So now I'm thinking about BM doubles. Yes, even with my knees. That's a sure sign of how frustrated I am.

I'm going to double up a pair of my HP80s. The general consensus from people I know who have doubled them up or on SB is that they make people head heavy. Well, since I tend to be foot heavy, that's OK for me. I already have modular valves on my tanks. So I just need the isolator cross bar, bands, and a different wing.

I was chatting about this yesterday with a SB member I talk a lot with, and he's offered to send me - FREE (I love FREE!) - a Blue Steel isolator cross bar he's never used, and an older model Dive Rite Rec wing he used with HP100s and drysuit for a while. Guy is an older diver who has unused gear sitting around. OK, so maybe it will look a bit weird with my Halcyon webbing, but at this point, to get me started, I don't really care! A different wing seems like it would be at least be around $300 used, from what I've seen in online postings. Looking for a used pair of bands. Just to have to tweak my SM regs a bit.

I love the plug and play of BM doubles. I've been green with envy over the doubles divers who show up to the boat with everything all put together and then just suit up and jump in. No changing tanks! There are a fair number of divers on my local boats who use doubles for recreational dives. They get two dives out of them and just easier gear wise. I found out on the boat that I could walk a short distance with SM tanks clipped on, so I should be OK with that for doubles. Not sure how I'd handle doubles at the quarry.

I'm going to get the gear together and try it out in the pool this winter. We'll see how it goes. Shop has 3-4 hour pool sessions once a month from Dec-March so I'll have plenty of time to play with it in the pool.

I had already been planning to work with a personal trainer this winter, so extra incentive!
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:41:26 AM EDT
[#46]
I must be fucking crazy, but here goes.

I'm rethinking SM. It's great once I'm in the water, but gearing up is a PITA. Those damned bungees. So now I'm thinking about BM doubles. Yes, even with my knees. That's a sure sign of how frustrated I am.

I'm going to double up a pair of my HP80s. The general consensus from people I know who have doubled them up or on SB is that they make people head heavy. Well, since I tend to be foot heavy, that's OK for me. I already have modular valves on my tanks. So I just need the isolator cross bar, bands, and a different wing.

I was chatting about this yesterday with a SB member I talk a lot with, and he's offered to send me - FREE (I love FREE!) - a Blue Steel isolator cross bar he's never used, and an older model Dive Rite Rec wing he used with HP100s and drysuit for a while. Guy is an older diver who has unused gear sitting around. OK, so maybe it will look a bit weird with my Halcyon webbing, but at this point, to get me started, I don't really care! A different wing seems like it would be at least be around $300 used, from what I've seen in online postings. Looking for a used pair of bands. Just to have to tweak my SM regs a bit.

I love the plug and play of BM doubles. I've been green with envy over the doubles divers who show up to the boat with everything all put together and then just suit up and jump in. No changing tanks! There are a fair number of divers on my local boats who use doubles for recreational dives. They get two dives out of them and just easier gear wise. I found out on the boat that I could walk a short distance with SM tanks clipped on, so I should be OK with that for doubles. Not sure how I'd handle doubles at the quarry.

I'm going to get the gear together and try it out in the pool this winter. We'll see how it goes. Shop has 3-4 hour pool sessions once a month from Dec-March so I'll have plenty of time to play with it in the pool.

I had already been planning to work with a personal trainer this winter, so extra incentive!
View Quote
Marie the only reason that I side mount is because I cannot reach the valves in back mount. Otherwise I'd be in a set of BM doubles. Have you tried Ring Bungees? In my experience they make gearing up faster, however, there are some trade offs such as ease of doffing etc....
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:00:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#47]

Marie the only reason that I side mount is because I cannot reach the valves in back mount. Otherwise I'd be in a set of BM doubles. Have you tried Ring Bungees? In my experience they make gearing up faster, however, there are some trade offs such as ease of doffing etc....
View Quote
I've not tried those, but my level of frustration with SM is such is that I'm going to play with BM doubles in the pool this winter. If it doesn't work, I'll only have about $100 into it for bands/bolts and I could sell them. Worth a try.

Why can't you reach the valves in BM?
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:27:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jerrwhy01] [#48]

I've not tried those, but my level of frustration with SM is such is that I'm going to play with BM doubles in the pool this winter. If it doesn't work, I'll only have about $100 into it for bands/bolts and I could sell them. Worth a try.

Why can't you reach the valves in BM?
View Quote
Never had great flexibility in my shoulders, now throw in years of Aikido, and JuJitsu, plus getting older and I just can't reach them. I could probably go learn yoga from some swami and a year or so down the road be able to reach them or I could just dive. I chose to dive.

I found side mount very frustrating for the first 6 months or so until I really figured out an approach for donning and doffing that works for me. And like it or not you're going to have to tailor your tank selection for the diving you're doing. I only use heavy steel tanks in caves, otherwise it's LP-50's for open water/solo, and AL80's for technical diving in big warm water like the ocean.

I am in the process of slowly putting together a BP/W for single tank recreational stuff because it's honestly just easier to travel with. I
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Marie, what are you using for bungees, how are they set up, and can you walk me through your donning of gear?
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:
Marie, what are you using for bungees, how are they set up, and can you walk me through your donning of gear?
View Quote
I have the Hollis SMS75. Loop bungees. The stock Hollis bungees are very stiff, so I switched to something a bit thinner and stretchier. My problem is I don’t really have the hand strength to deal with the bungees. I’ve hsd issues with repetitive stress injuries in the past (all the typing I’ve done for years), and even though I don’t have the pain anymore, I don’t have a lot of strength.

I have a hard time simply getting a finger or two on them, all with bare hands, 3mm gloves, or dry gloves with thin liners. And then issues with getting it over the valve knob. Bungees are looser than they should be. You can tell they are really long in pictures.

So this is why I’m trying doubles. I was so frustrated with the bungees on Saturday that I simply screamed. First time at this quarry trying to do SM and it’s not what I’m used to, but I said fuck it, I’m trying doubles.
Page / 51
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top