Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Page / 51
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 9:57:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#1]
Trip was fab.

Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:19:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Ordered a new drysuit today - Fusion Fit (women's model). Should have it by Monday at the latest. If I have it by Friday, I'll put four dives on it this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 7:28:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#3]
Dove Ginnie last week for the first time in over a year with an OW buddy of mine (Ballroom side only), and promptly remembered why I refuse to go there in the summer time. Holy shit, the people!! Not to mention the river is flooding and getting geared up in 10 feet of water with two PST LP80s is not easy... I finally gave up and clipped one on as ballast, dropped to the bottom and grabbed the other one and clipped it on, then bungeed the valves, started my camera, and swam off. Bump that noise, even if I was lopsided and struggled with it for a minute until I got them both clipped in.

Reels are hanging down because I've lost 59 pounds since I set the harness up and the D-ring was way too far forward now, I've moved it back and while I'm hesitant to, for some reason I think I need to loosen up the crotch strap, it feels like it sits way lower than it used to... then again I may have tightened it when I wasn't wearing a suit for a while diving in the river...

Next time I go in a cave, I'd like to take the LX20 and my can light now that I have the busted latch replaced, and see how they compare. The LX20 seems way brighter, and I like the beam a lot, although I still prefer the way the corded light head sits on my wrist without all the bulk of the battery pack making it bounce light all over every time I move my hand and make it act wonky.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 7:45:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad to see you back in a cave(ern).

I've heard Ginnie can be a shitshow in the summer!
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:
Dove Ginnie last week for the first time in over a year with an OW buddy of mine (Ballroom side only), and promptly remembered why I refuse to go there in the summer time. Holy shit, the people!! Not to mention the river is flooding and getting geared up in 10 feet of water with two PST LP80s is not easy... I finally gave up and clipped one on as ballast, dropped to the bottom and grabbed the other one and clipped it on, then bungeed the valves, started my camera, and swam off. Bump that noise, even if I was lopsided and struggled with it for a minute until I got them both clipped in.

Reels are hanging down because I've lost 59 pounds since I set the harness up and the D-ring was way too far forward now, I've moved it back and while I'm hesitant to, for some reason I think I need to loosen up the crotch strap, it feels like it sits way lower than it used to... then again I may have tightened it when I wasn't wearing a suit for a while diving in the river...

https://scontent.ftpa1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/38796542_10160931620480413_5625965678071644160_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=5fe2c211fe08b925b261c0252fe692bb&oe=5BF8C2DF

Next time I go in a cave, I'd like to take the LX20 and my can light now that I have the busted latch replaced, and see how they compare. The LX20 seems way brighter, and I like the beam a lot, although I still prefer the way the corded light head sits on my wrist without all the bulk of the battery pack making it bounce light all over every time I move my hand and make it act wonky.
View Quote

I haven't been in the water in a few months. I no sooner got over my hand injury then the medications I have to take to control my cancer stopped working. Now were just hoping the new protocol takes effect. The worst part is that I got my new drysuit delivered today that I ordered several months ago. It fits really well, I just don't know if it'll ever get wet.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By jerrwhy01:

I haven't been in the water in a few months. I no sooner got over my hand injury then the medications I have to take to control my cancer stopped working. Now were just hoping the new protocol takes effect. The worst part is that I got my new drysuit delivered today that I ordered several months ago. It fits really well, I just don't know if it'll ever get wet.
View Quote
Well, damn.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:36:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Marie:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It's so terrible, honestly. There were probably 50-60 people at minimum at each set of steps going down to the water, none of them spoke English, nor had any common sense or courtesy to let you out of the stairs before trying to come down them with a 60+ inch pool float or whatever they had in their hands. I had a kid in a tube trying to walk up the stair rails in front of me and sit the tube on my head (with him still in it) as I just barely made it to the surface with one of my tanks on a breath hold. I ended up chucking his tube over my head backwards the second he slipped out of it so I could stand up and get out, and he looked pissed... oh well.

That sucks, man! Hopefully you can get everything under control health-wise and get diving again.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 12:01:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Off to the quarry tomorrow for SM dives with the girl from my class.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Two good SM dives today. First ones outside of class. Much better with my 5mm as I was very overweighted with 3mm for class.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 11:41:32 PM EDT
[#10]
New drysuit should have arrived today, but there were some shenanigans with AquaLung. Shop gave me a loaner out of their rental fleet until my suit comes in. Out to the quarry on Saturday to work out my weighing and then if all goes well, dive it on Lake Michigan Sunday.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 12:13:45 AM EDT
[#11]
what sidemount rig are you using
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 7:14:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Jake-The-Snake:
what sidemount rig are you using
View Quote
Hollis SMS75. I’m a colder water diver so it’s steels for me, not aluminum.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 7:38:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Back on Lake Michigan yesterday for the first time in about 2 months. One wreck at 30ft had significant surge. Boy, was that a fun dive (not!). Second wreck at 60ft was much better. Waves were about 2ft. There was a father-son (about 16) who at different times were pucking up their guts. First time on the Lakes. Used to ocean. Hadn’t taken anything.  Although yesterday we had rollers and not much chop. I took my Bonine the night before and morning of, so I was fine
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 10:46:38 AM EDT
[#14]
SM session with instructor and gal from class. She took class with rented gear and now that she has hers, wanted help getting hers dialed in. I need some additional help with tweaks so I jumped at the chance when she asked if I was interested. $50 for 4 hours. I considered that a bargain.

On Lake Michigan tomorrow. Forecast calls for 1ft waves at this point.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 7:20:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Viz was bad this last weekend as the lake was really churned up from recent strong weather.

Doing a Saturday afternoon charter, plus morning/afternoon Sunday.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 10:12:14 PM EDT
[#16]
This afternoon’s charter was cancelled due to weather. Hopefully no issues tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:08:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link to my thread in GD about the awesome wreck diving I did yesterday.

Link
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 10:25:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks like all the local charters are going to be cancelled this weekend. Min 4ft waves. There is a small craft advisory in effect. Quarry diving as I need to get my new drysuit wet and tweak weighting. Should be picking up new suit tomorrow.

Doing some new (for me) wrecks next weekend out of Milwaukee. The Milwaukee Car Ferry and the Willie (Prins Willem V).
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Charters definitely cancelled - up to 8ft waves.

Picked up new drysuit last night. Love it. Complete with dry gloves which are pretty much a necessity up here. Quarry tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 3:33:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#21]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
I would love to dive the Great Lakes but my luck is I would drive eight hours and get blown out.
View Quote
It’s iffy this time of year. Late May though late August is the best time.

Friends who were on the Alpena are driving up from northern KY the last weekend of the month. It’s really a crap shoot.

That’s why you dive in an area with other stuff to do if you get blown out. Lots to do in Chicago, for example, or there’s fishing, hiking, kayaking, etc., where I was in Alpena.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 6:48:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MBUZICHOMA] [#22]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
I would love to dive the Great Lakes but my luck is I would drive eight hours and get blown out.
View Quote
Make a run up to Brockville Canada.   Dive the St Lawrence.  Long drive but worth it.

I used to go with a Scuba Shop and it was a great trip.  Several wooden ships to go down on.

Dive Brockville

Pretty neat when you are below and a Freighter goes by.  You can really hear the screws turning.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#23]
New drysuit is wonderful. Dives a dream. No leaks at all. Dry gloves were dry.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:27:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#24]
Charter this afternoon on my usual boat out of Hammond, IN. Doing the Rotarian (84ft) and Wells Burt (40ft).

Tomorrow afternoon I’m doing a charter out of Milwaukee. Milwaukee Car Ferry (130ft to the sand, 90-100ft to the deck) and the Willie (Prins Willem V, 80ft to the sand).

Bottom temp on the Milwaukee might be 40-45.  We’ll see.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 1:20:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Dives this weekend:
Rotarian, 77ft, 48F
World War II Navy torpedo bomber, 36ft, 68F
Milwaukee Car Ferry, 117ft, 50F (my deepest dive to date)
Prins Willem V (Willie), 87ft, 50F
New drysuit is dry, warm and comfy, dry gloves were dry.

First two off Chicago, last two off Milwaukee.

Got nicely dark narced on the Car Ferry. Previous deepest dive was 93ft.

After diving the Willie

Link Posted: 9/17/2018 11:49:17 PM EDT
[#26]
thats not sidemount!
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 11:55:06 PM EDT
[#27]
thats not sidemount!
View Quote
Nope! Have only done SM twice with loaner drysuit and not at all in my new drysuit. I was out at the quarry last weekend to get single tank weighting down. I wasn’t about to do my deepest dive to date SM when I wasn’t sure how much weight I would need. Dove my familiar single tank rig. I did rent HP100 to have more gas (I usually dive HP80s). Good thing - came up with 800 psi from the car ferry.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 11:10:13 PM EDT
[#28]
SM dives with a bunch of fellow SM’ers at quarry Saturday. Lake Michigan Sunday afternoon.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Contemplating doing SM on the lake Sunday if tomorrow goes well. Have to figure out weighting with drysuit for SM.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 7:59:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Today went well so SM off the boat tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 11:27:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Only three more weekends before the boat is pulled out of Lake Michigan.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 11:56:18 PM EDT
[#32]
how was sidemount off the boat?
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 12:25:20 AM EDT
[#33]
how was sidemount off the boat?
View Quote
Getting off the boat wasn’t too bad - sat on the back of the boat, tanks were brought over to me. To get me into the water quicker (dive buddy and I were the last ones in), captain helped more than he would have otherwise in getting tanks on and inflator hoses attached. I then swung my legs around, walked through transom holding onto swim platform railing, and went in. I was surprised the short walk with 2 tanks on wasn’t more difficult, even with the 2-3ft chop we had in the afternoon. A giant stride with all that stuff on was not a pretty sight! :D

Needed a lot of help getting tanks off. Had a hard time getting my bottom boltsnaps undone. The chop didn’t help as I was hanging onto the ladder while being bounced around. Got them undone with the help of buddy who was still in the water and captain unclipped the top and pulled tanks up. For the afternoon charter, we were fortunate to have a DM who dives SM with the same rig I have. Getting out from afternoon dives was a bit better as we had a system down, but the 2-3ft chop made it more difficult. Climbing the ladder with both tanks clipped on was out of the question. I can't climb the ladder without 3-4 pulls on valve with a single tank - lingering issues from shingles attack in March.

Wonderfully stable in the water and really contributed towards very good trim at times, per buddy’s observations.

I already knew I really need to work on upper and lower body strength over the winter, but Sunday confirmed it.

I did the boat dives with only about 12 SM dives total under my belt. Needed to do these now so I could see how it was. Back to single tank BM for the next 3 weekends of boat diving (last day is Oct 14), then SM under quarry closes the last Sunday in October. Will be at a regional quarry with friends for deep work in November. Shop will have winter pool practice sessions once a month during the winter so I’ll be doing those SM, too.

Did 6 dives over the weekend. I was shocked to see I have 168 dives now. In a bit less than 2 years. My diveversary is Oct 2.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 7:51:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jerrwhy01] [#34]
@Marie

If you're going to do a lot of recreational side mount off of boats you might want to consider investing in a set or two of Al-40's or better yet LP-50's. The LP-50's are about as much of a pain in the butt/weight as a BP/W and AL-80 set up. It will cost you a bit more in the long run (I mean it's not like you're not going to buy them any way) but ultimately will make the dive a lot more enjoyable for both you and the boat crew. My LP-50's were one of my best purchases.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#35]
@Marie

If you're going to do a lot of recreational side mount off of boats you might want to consider investing in a set or two of Al-40's or better yet LP-50's. The LP-50's are about as much of a pain in the butt/weight as a BP/W and AL-80 set up. It will cost you a bit more in the long run (I mean it's not like you're not going to buy them any way) but ultimately will make the dive a lot more enjoyable for both you and the boat crew. My LP-50's were one of my best purchases.
View Quote
I’d actually been thinking about that. I know several SM cave divers who have LP50s for fun recreational stuff.

Boat SM will primarily be for deep wrecks for tech. I’m planning on sticking with single tank BM for the time being.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 11:18:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Have a friend in MI who has a nice little side business in steel tanks. Asked him to keep an eye out for a pair of LP50s over the winter. While AL40s would be cheaper, my SM rig is meant for steels, so LP50s are better.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 9:11:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Have a friend in MI who has a nice little side business in steel tanks. Asked him to keep an eye out for a pair of LP50s over the winter. While AL40s would be cheaper, my SM rig is meant for steels, so LP50s are better.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#38]
I'd love a set of 40's or 50's and one of those stand-alone bladders with a basic one piece nylon webbing harness for poking around in karst windows or small caverns to see if they go anywhere before going through the effort of dragging a Nomad and LP80s or HP100s to them...
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#39]
I'd love a set of 40's or 50's and one of those stand-alone bladders with a basic one piece nylon webbing harness for poking around in karst windows or small caverns to see if they go anywhere before going through the effort of dragging a Nomad and LP80s or HP100s to them...
View Quote
Here toy go. Can't help you with tanks though.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 7:22:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FB41] [#40]
View Quote
Another option is AL63's or LP72's.

When I did side-mount diving, I used 63's and found them to very manageable over 80's or HP steel tanks and I really didn't sacrifice that much bottom time since I usually get bored and surface before I run outta gas.

I sold all the SM gear and nowadays, I'm a lazy-ass diver and just use the AL80's or LP72's I own in a BM vest-style BCD that's gotta be at least 25 years old or the "new" one that's 15 .
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By FB41:

Another option is AL63's or LP72's.

When I did side-mount diving, I used 63's and found them to very manageable over 80's or HP steel tanks and I really didn't sacrifice that much bottom time since I usually get bored and surface before I run outta gas.

I sold all the SM gear and nowadays, I'm a lazy-ass diver and just use the AL80's or LP72's I own in a BM vest-style BCD that's gotta be at least 25 years old or the "new" one that's 15 .
View Quote
I love using 63s for women during OW instruction. They are so much lighter and have plenty of capacity for most female divers. Men typically suck gas fast.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 8:47:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#42]

Here toy go. Can't help you with tanks though.
View Quote
I've had that bookmarked for probably two years now... shoulda bought it when my money situation was a little better. LOL

I don't think it would cost more than maybe $200 to get a setup like what I referred to (whatever hardware I don't already have, webbing, bladder, and bungee) but a set of smaller steel tanks would be cost prohibitive, so there's no point in buying the small set of gear.

If I'm REALLY that interested, I can stick my head in with an HP100 or the LP80 either one. I floated around a pool for quite a while one day riding an 80 like some kinda underwater pony around the deep end controlling my buoyancy with just my breathing lmao
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 10:20:56 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote
A pair of AL40s would be cheap enough and easy enough to find. Used LP50s are damn near unicorns.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 7:22:18 AM EDT
[#44]

I've had that bookmarked for probably two years now... shoulda bought it when my money situation was a little better. LOL

I don't think it would cost more than maybe $200 to get a setup like what I referred to (whatever hardware I don't already have, webbing, bladder, and bungee) but a set of smaller steel tanks would be cost prohibitive, so there's no point in buying the small set of gear.

If I'm REALLY that interested, I can stick my head in with an HP100 or the LP80 either one. I floated around a pool for quite a while one day riding an 80 like some kinda underwater pony around the deep end controlling my buoyancy with just my breathing lmao
View Quote
I just bought the plates and doohickeys that I absolutely couldn't find anywhere else. I already had a bunch of D-rings, tri-glides, buckles, fasteners and what not. I was able to get the harness off the ground for about 75 bucks or so. I initially used their bladder which brought the cost to just a little over 200 bucks. It worked great with AL80's but only so so with LP50's; they were just too heavy. I ended up selling the wing on CDF and picked myself up an Xdeep wing.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 7:28:14 AM EDT
[#45]

A pair of AL40s would be cheap enough and easy enough to find. Used LP50s are damn near unicorns.
View Quote
Cheapest place I found them was at Northeast Scuba supply. They came in around 220.00 per tank not including valves.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 12:06:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#46]
6 wreck dives on Lake Michigan this weekend. 4 today, 2 tomorrow. Lake is still pretty warm. 65 to about 40ft. 55 at 80ft. I’m at 172 dives now. May come pretty close to hitting 200 this year!
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 11:20:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Boat went out yesterday but I didn’t dive. I draw the line at 5 footers and white caps. It was awful. The others on the boat did one dive, but conditions had gotten steadily worse and the one wreck had really bad viz.

The weather is getting increasingly iffy and bad.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 11:36:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Tomorrow is my second diversary.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 11:05:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Cancelled my charter seats for this weekend. Weather looking increasingly iffy. Gale warning earlier today.

Quarry Saturday to work on some things. Taking Sunday off.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#50]

Cheapest place I found them was at Northeast Scuba supply. They came in around 220.00 per tank not including valves.
View Quote
Just looked at their website. At my shop, a pair of LP50s with SM valves would be $627.  At NE Scuba, it would be $560 with valves and then there’s shipping. $234/each with no valve/no VIP at DGX. My shop charges $25 for VIP.  It’s just easier, although a bit more expensive to get the tanks from my shop. I’ll see if they can do any price matching.
Page / 51
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top