Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/28/2009 5:38:20 PM EDT
Alright.  I'm going to try to protect my wife and two kids.  Not even questioning that.  The question is about other people's kids.

But my wife and I had an interesting conversation the other day about Z-Day survivors.  

I was talking about scouring the neighborhood for some last minute supplies before trying to make our exodus to my in-laws house in the mountains.  And the subject of a set of twins down the street came up.  There is a set of twin girls that live down the street from me.  They don't get on the school bus in the morning so I think they are 4 (and therefore too young to go to school).

Assuming it's sort of a "I Am Legend" situation where it kills most people and a smaller percentage turn into zombies, I break into the twins' house.  Mom and Dad are stiff, twins are cowering in the corner of the room.  What do I do?

My wife, without hesitating, said she'd keep them.  She'd keep them until someone else with either more supplies or the desire to "adopt" these girls comes along.

I was a little more hesitant.  On one hand, I wouldn't want to share my supplies.  But on the other hand, I wouldn't want them to be zombie food.  Then as if two hands weren't enough, I might be able to keep them around for awhile... one would be great with BBQ sauce and the other with teriyaki.

So, I've decided to nickname them.  One of them is Barbie Q and the other is Terri Yaki.  

But I still don't know.  I'd probably keep them as well...

So what would you do?  Keep them?  Leave them?  Name them as I have?
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 5:45:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I know this forum is a joke and all, but if you'd leave two helpless children to starve to death when you have the means to help them then I'm afraid that it is too late, you are already a zombie.

Might as well take the headshot now and save someone else from having to do it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#3]
As a story I once read put it:
"Why bother surviving when you have lost your humanity?"

With that said, if it came down to it, those girls are dead before my family.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This is a good point, but with that same statement I could argue that I should help my next door neighbor even though that SOB leaves his grass grow so long that I have to choose to either let it sway in the breeze or mow it along with my lawn...

If and when I move, I'm taking his damn potted raspberry bush as payment.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 6:55:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was talking about scouring the neighborhood for some last minute supplies before trying to make our exodus to my in-laws house in the mountains.

You mean you aren't prepared for a zed invasion today? I don't see why you are here...
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 7:00:56 PM EDT
[#6]
If they are alive....they are ALL family now! Blood doesn't matter, only survival of the species!
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#7]
How can you shoot women and childern?!?!? its easy you just dont lead as much....
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 7:09:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I would have to take them even though they would slow me down and be a pain in the ass it would be to hard to leave them
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 7:33:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Keep them.

I would shoot any "person" who, in order to save his own skin, is willing to leave kids to die.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 8:58:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Adults? Yeah, I could turn a blind eye.

But kids.......I'd have to help.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 9:44:31 PM EDT
[#11]
they are also food is things get to rough
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#12]
i would take them under my wing. I am confident in my abilities to provide for more than  just my familly once we reach the mountains...
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 10:03:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Hmmmm.  good question.

On first blush I say leave 'em....

But within a couple seconds of thinking that, I also thought, "...there is no way in Hell you would leave 'em dude..."

I'd be taking them also....

Damn you consciences..
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 3:52:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice thread idea!

The question is, at what point do you stop being human?

Logically, depending on your preps, you leave them.

* Because they're too young to really help out.
* They need too much adult supervision.
* They're a drain on your resources.
* They'd make noise and let either the zombies, or whatever threat there is, know where you are.

OR you could take them with and trade them to someone else for (whatever), or turn them loose to distract the zombies while your family gets away.
Logically speaking...

But we aren't logical, we're *human*. We rush into buildings to save little old ladies, puppies and kittens. Or jump into flooded rivers to save them. Even though, most people would agree that, thats just asking for a trip to the undertaker. But we have to try, it's just how we are.

As much as we like to think, we think things through, there's a gut reaction to certain things. Such as others being at risk, especially the very young, or those who just can't protect themselves.  It's life boat rules. 'Women and children first'.

If you sat down and thought it out, your own kids would put you at risk, depending on their ages. And be a drain on preps, kids can be looked at as a renewable resource. Yet, you won't pat them on the head and tell them "good luck", while pushing them out the door. What you would do is go down swinging to protect them, or skip meals so they can eat. Because that's what decent people would do.

Life isn't fair, life with zombies shambling the earth will be more un-fair. But if you can leave small kids to an ugly death, brother, you're a heartless bastard. And not at all human.

(I know it's a 'what-if' so don't take anything I wrote personal. )
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:03:30 AM EDT
[#15]
if you dont help kids out your a POS.

If all goes bad my neighbors kids will be helped but no the parents
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 6:16:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Without hesitation, help them.  And waste anything or anyone who gets in the way.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 7:28:51 AM EDT
[#17]
There tiny hands could be useful when you finally get to your final destination. Life is going to revert back to being a much more physically back breaking and laborous time. Extra hands will always be useful. Even if they end up just doing menial tasks like cleaning something. One less task for you to do, because you will have a lot on your plate.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 7:52:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Live bait.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#19]
They are kids!  You HAVE to save them.

The real question is, what if one of YOUR kids becomes infected?  I told my daughter the other day that I loved her more than anything else, but if she zombifies, I'm shooting her in the head!  She smiled and said, "1 shot 1 kill, dad."
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 8:46:17 AM EDT
[#20]
You can train them up and in the future you will have more guns do defend your mountain compound.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 8:57:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#22]
KEEP EM. put em to work,. many hands make light work.
also with training, they could be another set of trigger fingers/lookouts, gatherers.
build an army, shit they do it in africa man. haha
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Ironically, the last issue of The Walking Dead deals with a group that came up with a pretty crappy solution on what to do with the kids.  I won't spoil it for those who have not read it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#24]
you can use them like they did in Russia in the old days.  When being chased by wolves, they would throw them out one at a time to keep the wolves occupied.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Take the girls... strip the house for what's useful:  food, gear, ammo (?), whatever.

If there are kids in the house, there should be food to bring back to support them and you.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm saving them.  Personally, if I saw someone dumping kids to save their own skin, I'm gonna waste their asses myself and take their shit.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:43:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I wouldnt be able to live with myself if I left them
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 6:39:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Can you leave your own and trade up?  Scumbag boyfriend too
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#29]
For me it depends.
If I have a fortified position where I and my family can hold out for a long period if need be or they were slow moving zombies, then I would take them.
If I had no fortified position, limited supplies and silence was a huge factor and had to stay on the move or they were the "rage" zombies then I would give them an OD of some medicine. Quiet and painless.
I would do this for my own son as well. If you will not be able to protect them then save them from a gruesome ending.
Don't think me a heartless prick though, I'm not taping flashing lights and sirens to them strapping them with C-4 and making them run down the street while I make a break out the back door.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#30]
My humanity will never go away....save them. Teach them to take care of them selves and help out like I taught my own kids. I would go back in after them even if it meant more zombies to address. D*mn my concience!
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 4:11:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I know this forum is a joke and all, but if you'd leave two helpless children to starve to death when you have the means to help them then I'm afraid that it is too late, you are already a zombie.

Might as well take the headshot now and save someone else from having to do it.

This
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 9:38:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Part of me wants to say "leave 'em, drain on resources", but as was already pointed out, being human carries with it some evolutionary imperatives you can't ignore.At first glance, abandoning them seems more practical, but a closer look is needed.
They can help carry supplies/equipment, depending on age.They can access small areas you can't.Depending on age, they can fight, forage,act as lookouts,cook, provide general labor etc.If they've been surviving on their own for a little while, they might know tricks you don't ( remember Aliens?).And kids are tough, they adapt to a new normal quicker than most adults.That will be a plus when it comes time to rebuild.
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 2:46:33 PM EDT
[#33]
you have to think long term. if you have boys then take them, if you have girls then they cant help restart humanity. in the end though, i say if they can aim a gun, they can come.
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 2:49:17 PM EDT
[#34]
add "Bait"?
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
you have to think long term. if you have boys then take them, if you have girls then they cant help restart humanity. in the end though, i say if they can aim a gun, they can come.

Correction. If you have girls, you will want to take those girls, so when they come of age to start repopulating the earth, you don't start making inbreed mutant flipper children
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#36]
BAIT
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 4:45:41 PM EDT
[#37]
I couldn't leave them there to die.
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I couldn't leave them there to die.

you better have a big ass bus or something, its that kind of thinking thats gonna bring you down. so you take the kids, then you go down another street and see another sob story, next thing you know your parties 60 deep and you dont have enough supplies. take the minimum that you need to restart humanity. its ok to team up with other prepared teams but if there not prepared then really they became zeds long before you crossed there path.
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 7:26:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
you better have a big ass bus or something, its that kind of thinking thats gonna bring you down. so you take the kids, then you go down another street and see another sob story, next thing you know your parties 60 deep and you dont have enough supplies. take the minimum that you need to restart humanity. its ok to team up with other prepared teams but if there not prepared then really they became zeds long before you crossed there path.

This is part of my thinking about this problem as well.  I've already got my own family to take care of.  And what if I find some 9 year old boy and his 7 year old sister ten houses down?  What then?  I don't have enough resources currently to support more than 6.  Do I start hunting daily to make up for it?  That sure would take a lot of time away from other things.  And what if they run out and find their friend Billy who is starving as well.  When does it stop?

Quoted:

The real question is, what if one of YOUR kids becomes infected?  I told my daughter the other day that I loved her more than anything else, but if she zombifies, I'm shooting her in the head!  She smiled and said, "1 shot 1 kill, dad."

That is freaking cool.  How old is your daughter?
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 11:41:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

How many kids do you save? Judging by what you said, you'd end up like the Pied Piper leading a thousand children off into zombie-land where you ALL die.

Link Posted: 10/1/2009 9:32:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Alright.  I'm going to try to protect my wife and two kids.  Not even questioning that.  The question is about other people's kids.

But my wife and I had an interesting conversation the other day about Z-Day survivors.  

I was talking about scouring the neighborhood for some last minute supplies before trying to make our exodus to my in-laws house in the mountains.  And the subject of a set of twins down the street came up.  There is a set of twin girls that live down the street from me.  They don't get on the school bus in the morning so I think they are 4 (and therefore too young to go to school).

Assuming it's sort of a "I Am Legend" situation where it kills most people and a smaller percentage turn into zombies, I break into the twins' house.  Mom and Dad are stiff, twins are cowering in the corner of the room.  What do I do?

My wife, without hesitating, said she'd keep them.  She'd keep them until someone else with either more supplies or the desire to "adopt" these girls comes along.

I was a little more hesitant.  On one hand, I wouldn't want to share my supplies.  But on the other hand, I wouldn't want them to be zombie food.  Then as if two hands weren't enough, I might be able to keep them around for awhile... one would be great with BBQ sauce and the other with teriyaki.

So, I've decided to nickname them.  One of them is Barbie Q and the other is Terri Yaki.  

But I still don't know.  I'd probably keep them as well...

So what would you do?  Keep them?  Leave them?  Name them as I have?

My solution? It depends.

If rescuing them doesn't entail danger to me and my family, and supplies are plentyful, then I take them. It's the right thing to do. But those two would be where I draw the line. You can't save everybody.

If they are trapped in a house, surrounded a number of ghouls, and I'm attempting to bug out with my crew? Well, the world in "normal" times is a fucking tough place. A "zombie" apocalypse would be far worse, and hard decisions will have to be made. This would be true in any major, worldwide social dislocation.

I would have no choice but to abandon them in the second scenario. My family's safety would come first. Like I said, you can't save everybody. And the rule is survival, not being a superhero battling the undead hordes for great justice and the American Way.

But it would haunt me to my dying day. I could go on, because I'm not a quitter and others would depend on me. However, I would never forgive myself for leaving those kids to their fate, even though it would have to be done.

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Well i was born in1997 and i will gladly fight zombies!
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 11:36:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Save them.

Think about how many kids people had in the old days.  You did that because eventually they would be old enough to help out.   5 yr olds can search the woods for berries and plants to eat, they can chop wood, etc.  Pioneer kids did that stuff all the time.  We just don't do it now.

Plus, in a zombie apocalypse, guess what junior, you get to grow up real quick.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:17:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That is awesome! I laughed out loud. how old is your daughter?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:10:23 PM EDT
[#45]
I'd keep 'em.  It may not be the smart thing to do, but I just wouldn't have the ability to leave 'em.  If that makes me more likely to become zombie food, so be it...
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:05:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Keep them.

I would shoot any "person" who, in order to save his own skin, is willing to leave kids to die.

this. and like what else was said. and this doesnt just apply to the zombie fantasy but in any kind of disaster, if you are so fucking selfish that OMG you might have to share an MRE or can of beans with a child, then you really do deserve a special place in hell, and the sooner you get there the better, and for the OP with kids, i know the fantasy is you will be the king shit survivor but in the real world what if it is you and your wife who die, and its your kid left in the corner crying and scared, how would you like it is someone found them and had the means to take care of them but left them to die because he might have to share his supplies?

all the tough talk about how I spent all this time and money to build my SHTF supply cache and fuck everybody else, kind of mentaltity and then not even trying to save a child.. those types need to choke on some MRE peanut butter and die
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:19:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep them.

this. and like what else was said. and this doesnt just apply to the zombie fantasy but in any kind of disaster, if you are so fucking selfish that OMG you might have to share an MRE or can of beans with a child, then you really do deserve a special place in hell, and the sooner you get there the better, and for the OP with kids, i know the fantasy is you will be the king shit survivor but in the real world what if it is you and your wife who die, and its your kid left in the corner crying and scared, how would you like it is someone found them and had the means to take care of them but left them to die because he might have to share his supplies?

all the tough talk about how I spent all this time and money to build my SHTF supply cache and fuck everybody else, kind of mentaltity and then not even trying to save a child.. those types need to choke on some MRE peanut butter and die

So there is the question though. Do you have the supplies to take care of them and your family for longer then a few days before you are now out of food for yourself and your kids. Or, do you really actually have the means to take care of additional children in a zombie infected world? Or are you just putting your family and yourself in the front of the zombie buffet line by trying to take on more then you really can handle.

I stated to keep them by the way. Just trying to put up some arguments for debate.

If the children are old enough to carry a pack and keep up with the pace then there is no question I would take them along and worry about locating more food sources on the way. But if we are talking 2 additional kids under 9 or 10. They can't carry anything more then like a 10 pound bag for any length of time, they are too young to be of any use with physical labor, they don't have the ability to help provide in any way, and they are going to drop the distance and speed of your group in half... Well... You basically are dooming you and yours aren't you?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:41:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Think about it this way, what if it was your kids and you were dead?

Would you want someone to leave them to their deaths, or help them?

No question in my mind, They would be coming with me!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:20:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Mag loaders!

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:05:21 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Mag loaders!

Yes, i like this.  

I would also give the 8 and up 10/22's to shoot from  the secure second story.  Give em' a nickel for every dead zed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top