Link Posted: 1/21/2019 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m trying to lean out, too. Dropped the weight on the bar and working on reverse pyramid AMRAP sets instead of sets across. Got 250x9 last bench session.

I’m not gonna be able to take a run at 315 until I’m eating again. I’d like to have a shot at it by late fall.
250x 9. You should be able to do 315.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/173565/Screenshot_20190121-115731_JEFIT_jpg-816153.JPG
My ego tells my I’m awesome for having a 325 calculated 1RM, so thanks for that. My more realistic side says calculated ain’t actual, especially since I’ve never tried to do 1RM on any lift.

The thought of 315 over my face right now makes my mangina ache with fear.

I’d like to work up to it with some heavy triples and doubles first before making that leap.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 3:01:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

My ego tells my I’m awesome for having a 325 calculated 1RM, so thanks for that. My more realistic side says calculated ain’t actual, especially since I’ve never tried to do 1RM on any lift.

I’d like to work up to it with some heavy triples and doubles first before making that leap.
View Quote
I was at 250x5 when I got 3 plates, you probably have it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck! You guys are killing me here!

I convinced my ego to take a break for a couple months so I don’t kill myself going for PRs. Now it’s reading this over my shoulder and saying “you know, those guys make a good point...”.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I’m trying to lean out, too. Dropped the weight on the bar and working on reverse pyramid AMRAP sets instead of sets across. Got 250x9 last bench session.

I’m not gonna be able to take a run at 315 until I’m eating again. I’d like to have a shot at it by late fall.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. It’s my only good lift.

The fucked up thing is, I’m not even remotely built for bench. I’ve got really long arms, I can’t get a good back arch, and my leg drive sucks. I should suck at it.

Your 315 video has me motivated.
I'm so weak now. Stupid diet.

Are you training with a slingshot? 315 is just mental at this point.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fucked up thing is, I’m not even remotely built for bench. I’ve got really long arms, I can’t get a good back arch, and my leg drive sucks. I should suck at it.

Never even heard about a slingshot until a couple weeks ago.

What’s the purpose...help out of the bottom so you can overload it without getting stuck?

Seems kinda like overloading the press and cheating it up with the legs as a push-press. Same idea?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What’s the purpose...help out of the bottom so you can overload it without getting stuck?

Seems kinda like overloading the press and cheating it up with the legs as a push-press. Same idea?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Allows you to work on the top by getting you past the sticking point.

This also builds confidence for those mental barriers.

I used a pull-up band doubled over (poor man’s slingshot) to get me over the 315 hump.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Where do you find that calculator?
View Quote
It does it auto magically in Jefit app.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:21:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
The app estimate is pretty spot on.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:57:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't know if that is using the formula in 5/3/1, but at 250 x 9, it is the exact 1RM total.

The formula that I have plugged into my spreadsheet (which I got from Wendler's books):

weight x reps x .0333 + weight = calculated 1 RM

For me, the calculated 1 RM is overstated by anywhere from 5% (press) to 19% (DL).
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:32:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't know if that is using the formula in 5/3/1, but at 250 x 9, it is the exact 1RM total.

The formula that I have plugged into my spreadsheet (which I got from Wendler's books):

weight x reps x .0333 + weight = calculated 1 RM

For me, the calculated 1 RM is overstated by anywhere from 5% (press) to 19% (DL).
View Quote
You can do it. You just have to be fresh and want it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You can do it. You just have to be fresh and want it.
View Quote
  I'll remember your words of encouragement when I test my 1 RMs late this year.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 10:55:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Keeping the old guys thread alive.

2/18/2019

195 x 9

I really wanted the 10th rep but it wasn't meant to be.

Link Posted: 2/18/2019 11:06:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Keeping the old guys thread alive.

2/18/2019

195 x 9

I really wanted the 10th rep but it wasn't meant to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo_5y9kJ5vU
View Quote
Nice!

I’m not close to that yet. 155x7 was my last press.

You guys with the shorter arms kill me on presses. I’ve got fucking orangutan arms so when I press it just keeps going and going and going and no lockout.

I don’t know how I manage to do well on bench, but it doesn’t carry over to presses.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 12:47:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Nice!

I’m not close to that yet. 155x7 was my last press.

You guys with the shorter arms kill me on presses. I’ve got fucking orangutan arms so when I press it just keeps going and going and going and no lockout.

I don’t know how I manage to do well on bench, but it doesn’t carry over to presses.
View Quote
Level up and get orangutan arms and a damaged shoulder
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 10:34:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, I started my training 1 year ago today. I guess I’m doing ok.

March 12, 2018:

183 lbs.

Squats: 95x3x5
Deads: 155x1x5
Bench: 135x3x5
Press: 65x3x5

Chins: 4-1-1
Dips: 6-4-2

March 12, 2019:

224 lbs.

Current PRs.
Squat : 275x5
Deadlift: 350x6, 370x1
Bench: 275x5, 305x1
Press: 167.5x5, 170x2

Chins: 10-10-7-7-7
Dips (weighted): +25x5x10
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:58:19 AM EDT
[#16]
OK. Here goes.
I’m 48
6’ 0”
I framed houses for twenty years, now I’m a nurse.
I’m an avid mountain biker.
Four years ago I was a beast on a single speed MTB. Best shape of my life.
All I did was ride, push ups and pull ups.
I could do 80 push ups and I think I got to 11 pull ups
I was about 190

Then I fell off my bike and dislocated my shoulder.

Fast forward to 1 year ago.
220 pounds. Pretty fat.
Still riding but not nearly as fit as before. Riding more for fun and to be social.
So my wife and I bought a power rack. Olympic bar with 200# and a decent set of dumbbells.
I started 5x5 SL adding weight at the recommended pace and hurt myself.  Twice.
Didn’t lift for six months.

Got back after it on January 26.

1/26.

2/4.

2/16.

2/27
Squat.

Row.

OHP.

Dead. (5x5)

Bench.

145(6x5). 150.

Like the rest of you guys my goal is simply to make some progress without getting hurt.
I’ve made some progress with my shoulders and my self image in general.
That pigeon pose thing is like magic for my back.

??????

ETA. Shoot, the site scrambled the format of everything I typed. Dang.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 12:05:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh yeah. Since I do this at home I have the luxury of lifting barefoot.
Is there a better way?
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OK. Here goes.
I’m 48
6’ 0”
I framed houses for twenty years, now I’m a nurse.
I’m an avid mountain biker.
Four years ago I was a beast on a single speed MTB. Best shape of my life.
All I did was ride, push ups and pull ups.
I could do 80 push ups and I think I got to 11 pull ups
I was about 190

Then I fell off my bike and dislocated my shoulder.

Fast forward to 1 year ago.
220 pounds. Pretty fat.
Still riding but not nearly as fit as before. Riding more for fun and to be social.
So my wife and I bought a power rack. Olympic bar with 200# and a decent set of dumbbells.
I started 5x5 SL adding weight at the recommended pace and hurt myself.  Twice.
Didn’t lift for six months.

Got back after it on January 26.

1/26.

2/4.

2/16.

2/27
Squat.

Row.

OHP.

Dead. (5x5)

Bench.

145(6x5). 150.

Like the rest of you guys my goal is simply to make some progress without getting hurt.
I’ve made some progress with my shoulders and my self image in general.
That pigeon pose thing is like magic for my back.

??????

ETA. Shoot, the site scrambled the format of everything I typed. Dang.
View Quote
Have you checked out Starting Strength? Even those who are critical of Rippetoe and some of the details in the program tend to agree that it’s tough to beat as a starting program to maximize novice gains.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 12:19:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Will do!  I’m having a big breakfast now then down to the gym. I’ll check it out.

OK. Got the app and read a little about the program. I’ll need to buy the book and read it before I start.
I doesn’t look like my current 5 rep weights will translate to SS so I’ll do my 5x5 routine today and learn more about SS.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:11:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Will do!  I’m having a big breakfast now then down to the gym. I’ll check it out.

OK. Got the app and read a little about the program. I’ll need to buy the book and read it before I start.
I doesn’t look like my current 5 rep weights will translate to SS so I’ll do my 5x5 routine today and learn more about SS.
View Quote
Everything in SS is based on 5 rep sets. Definitely read the book.

Just remember that SS is a beginner program that will work very well for several months at getting you generally strong.

You will add weight to the bar quickly at every workout for up to several months but once that linear progression (LP) is done, you will have to move on to something else. Eat enough to fuel the gains.

When you start, it will seem ridiculously easy to add weight. Don’t rush it. The weight adds up quickly.

The end of LP is brutal. Trying to squeeze out daily gains for as long as possible will make you strong but you will feel it. Once that’s done, it’s time to switch programming.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 12:51:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Everything in SS is based on 5 rep sets. Definitely read the book.

Just remember that SS is a beginner program that will work very well for several months at getting you generally strong.

You will add weight to the bar quickly at every workout for up to several months but once that linear progression (LP) is done, you will have to move on to something else. Eat enough to fuel the gains.

When you start, it will seem ridiculously easy to add weight. Don’t rush it. The weight adds up quickly.

The end of LP is brutal. Trying to squeeze out daily gains for as long as possible will make you strong but you will feel it. Once that’s done, it’s time to switch programming.
View Quote
Definitely eat! I didn't eat enough to fuel the gains and my LP ended sooner and lower than it should have. I'm still working to drop lbs so on 5/3/1 I'm making decent gains but not like it would be if I was eating 3500+ calories.

For simple and easy start, SS is a good one
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Another 'keeping the thread alive' post.

I wasn't intending to attempt a 1 RM but it happened.  245 x 1, PR by 4 lbs.  I need to get more 10-plates.  Luckily, I had enough 5-pounders.

Link Posted: 4/9/2019 9:25:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Another 'keeping the thread alive' post.

I wasn't intending to attempt a 1 RM but it happened.  245 x 1, PR by 4 lbs.  I need to get more 10-plates.  Luckily, I had enough 5-pounders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz8A3nzgDtk
View Quote
God damn dude, nice work. I was stoked to get 135x3 last week.

Did hit a new squat PR, 280x3 last week. 315 will be there shortly.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 9:46:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
 Congrats on the squat PR.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 10:02:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, it honestly moved better than I thought it would.

Hoping for 315 sometime in may.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 8:22:00 AM EDT
[#26]
I’m on a deload week after doing two 531 cycles without one.

Taking it easy with light weights feels pretty damn good right now. Pain in the hip and tendinitis in the elbow and both forearms was getting tough.

I was pretty fatigued by the end of the second cycle.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:21:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Taking it easy with light weights feels pretty damn good right now. Pain in the hip and tendinitis in the elbow and both forearms was getting tough.

View Quote
What template are you running?

I got frisky today (a non lifting day) to push my OHP. Worked up from 5x65 to 3x125 (PR) back down to 5x85. The other day I couldn't get a 115 single. Push pressed it up, but couldn't get the down and up for it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I got frisky today (a non lifting day) to push my OHP. Worked up from 5x65 to 3x125 (PR) back down to 5x85. The other day I couldn't get a 115 single. Push pressed it up, but couldn't get the down and up for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m doing BBB. Not doing the BBB sets on the deload and just a couple of very light sets for accessories.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 9:47:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Tonight: OHP 225 x 3.  I wanted that 4th rep to set a new rep PR but it wasn't meant to be.

Last night: Benched 300 x 3 with a couple left in the tank.

I put myself on a Bulgarian-ish routine, and have been a squatting and pressing madman this week.  I know I won't be able to keep up this pace, so getting these extra sessions in now while I am not fatigued.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Ok I guess I can join in on this thread. I’m still weak compared to you guys. I’m getting stronger though.

Age 41 started lifting in December before Xmas then hit it hard after New Years.

Started 5’9” 185 with a keg in my mid section. Lol couldn’t bench 135, had a f’ed up back and tendinitis in my left arm. Had decent cardio. (Mtb summer, snowmobile winter)

Not really on a program but I follow a guy that I work with. He has his program. After 14 weeks I have lost a lot of fat starting to see some muscle mass I’m down to 172 and cardio is best it’s been. I ran a 5k for fun the other day. And I hate running.

Anyway numbers are as follows
Bench 185 1rm
Squat  225 1rm I know I can do more
Deadlift   315 1rm
Overhead press   115 1rm

I will keep up to date as thing progress. Thanks for keeping an old guy motivated. Let’s keep this thread going.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 12:44:08 AM EDT
[#31]
I benched 350 last Saturday.   No lift off or spotter, down to my chest with a slight pause and full lockout.  My ass did happen to lift off the bench slightly but I'm counting it.  It was a 15 lb. PR.  I can now hit 315x5 on the regular as well. I have really long arms and messed up shoulders so my progress is surprising  to me.

My Current numbers are:

350 bench
500 squat
565 deadlift
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 8:00:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I benched 350 last Saturday.   No lift off or spotter, down to my chest with a slight pause and full lockout.  My ass did happen to lift off the bench slightly but I'm counting it.  It was a 15 lb. PR.  I can now hit 315x5 on the regular as well. I have really long arms and messed up shoulders so my progress is surprising  to me.

My Current numbers are:

350 bench
500 squat
565 deadlift
View Quote
Strong lifts.  Congrats  
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#33]
OHP 250 x 1 attempt.  FAILED

Rested a bit and dropped it down to 245 x 1 and locked it out, matching my PR from April 9th.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:09:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
OHP 250 x 1 attempt.  FAILED

Rested a bit and dropped it down to 245 x 1 and locked it out, matching my PR from April 9th.
View Quote
I missed 190 today after locking out 180.

I’ve got a way to go.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Got 145# for 5 on OHP last week, but what I'm really proud of is finally hitting a 315# squat tonight. This time last year, was doing 155# 3x5.

Link Posted: 5/3/2019 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Old guy checking in.  How’s this???

Deadlift: 205x5
B press: 155x5
Bent over rows: 115x10
Squats: 125x5. Only had my rack for about 6 weeks
OHPress: 115x5
PLUS pull-ups dead hang:  12 then 10 then 10

All in a 3x5 circuit in about an hour.

ETA: I’m north of fifty a few.  Really starting to see and feel the positives

Do this usually 3 nights a week.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#37]
45 here.  Was doing a 3x5 last year until June when I sprained the crap out of my ankle.  I used that as an excuse to stop lifting for awhile.  Started back up this January.  Currently at 265 for reps on squat, 255 on bench, and 260 on deadlift.  My legs have never been strong or my bench has always been decent.

I want to hit 315 on squat, 275 bench and 350 deadlift.  Those are for reps.  I have no idea what my max is and I really don't care.  I am also at my heaviest (205lbs 5'10")  I need to lose 15 lbs so that is going to be a challenge while trying to up my strength.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Started a 5/3/1 PPL this week. Holy Jeebus it kicked my ass, but doing it twice a week the second session lifts were a lot easier! Im interested in doing 2-3 cycles and watching how the lifts go up.

Bench 1RM calculated 225, actually lifted 205.
OHP 1RM 125 - I havent pushed a PR in a bit
Squats 1RM calc 285 actually lifted 265
Deads calculated 265 actually lifted 295

Im eating more as well, and noticing some growth, started eating more on the last 5/3/1 cycle, and feeling good.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Still not mighty but I’m getting stronger. Just set new pr on bench this morning. 205x2

I feel great. Why didn’t I do this years ago?
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 10:24:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I’ll be 45 this year.

Nobody has asked if you’ve had your T levels checked?  

Good on ya for getting after it!
View Quote
Is T- therapy really all that....(safe)..? Serious question. I’d like to truly stay “all natural” and accept - but push back - the process of aging.

I will be 61 in 2-months. 6’1”and 180lbs. I have degeneration at L3 and L4. Been exercising most of my adult life and have had to adapt my workouts (especially weights) to age and injury. My job is very physical - building maintenance - and up until this year managed our small acreage which included (among lots of other things) processing firewood (5-cords/year)to heat the place during the Winter.

Anyway, I still make sure I get to the gym regularly. For myself and my wife (15-years younger)- but mostly because I still have a 7-year-old and 12-year-old in the house to raise,

To respond to the OP....I am fortunate that the Director of our exercise facility is one of the most educated persons I have ever met on this subject and has access to some of the best resources available - we both work for the (possibly) premier Medical /Research Facility on the planet.

He works with 20-year-olds to people in their 80’s on their health and fitness programs and helps us adapt to our individual needs / abilities / limitations.

He’s a big advocate for the one set in strict form at a slow movement to muscle failure. I started this program 2-years ago. It takes discipline to get this done right. One of the easiest things for me to do is overtrain - and as I’m getting older this is more prevalent. All I can tell you is I can still outwork many guys half my age (that could be mindset as much as anything) and my wife says I’ve never looked better in the last 20-years.
And as someone here pointed out in the “why don’t you lift” thread....Cardio is life.

Good on us “old guys” for fighting the good fight.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 9:28:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Interesting thread.

43 yrs old, 158lbs, 5'7" on a good day...haha

Been half ass lifting so no real numbers yet.  I'll post up what I can.    Biggest issue for me is food and beer.  I really need to clean up my diet.

Used to teach BJJ & Judo but haven't for a couple years now.   The lack of cardio is killing me as I hate running, rowing, etc..

What I currently do, but typically only twice a week.

BP: 140x5 (Max 160lbs)
Shoulder row: 50x5
Tricep ext: 20x5
Overhead triceps press: 45x5
Shrugs: 80x5

I also do 25 sit ups and 25 leg lifts between sets #2 & #4.

Just started a warm up of burpees for 4 min versus 10 min of rowing.

Im all over the board I know so will be following.   Good job guys.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 6:18:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I am fortunate that the Director of our exercise facility is one of the most educated persons I have ever met on this subject and has access to some of the best resources available - we both work for the (possibly) premier Medical /Research Facility on the planet.

He works with 20-year-olds to people in their 80’s on their health and fitness programs and helps us adapt to our individual needs / abilities / limitations.

He’s a big advocate for the one set in strict form at a slow movement to muscle failure. I started this program 2-years ago. It takes discipline to get this done right. One of the easiest things for me to do is overtrain - and as I’m getting older this is more prevalent. All I can tell you is I can still outwork many guys half my age (that could be mindset as much as anything) and my wife says I’ve never looked better in the last 20-years.
And as someone here pointed out in the “why don’t you lift” thread....Cardio is life.
View Quote
I'm 70..in pretty good shape and generally healthy. I'm also thinking of super slow, one set to failure. Maybe only one or two sets per week. It seems to me that this will greatly reduce the chance of injury and yet help me build / maintain strength as I age.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm 70..in pretty good shape and generally healthy. I'm also thinking of super slow, one set to failure. Maybe only one or two sets per week. It seems to me that this will greatly reduce the chance of injury and yet help me build / maintain strength as I age.

Any thoughts?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am fortunate that the Director of our exercise facility is one of the most educated persons I have ever met on this subject and has access to some of the best resources available - we both work for the (possibly) premier Medical /Research Facility on the planet.

Any thoughts?
The problem I have with slow reps, tempo reps, is that the more you slow them down the farther away you get from being able to do a maximal load for your chosen rep range. Because absolute strength is driven by (defined by?) weight on the bar, I don’t do tempo or paused reps for primary work sets.

After doing my primary sets for as much weight as possible, I will sometimes do backoff sets at a slow tempo or paused. This takes out any stretch reflex and makes the extra volume technically stricter. I look at them like practice.

Sometimes it helps me, sometimes it burns me out. Depends on the day. But, I never want it to interfere with weight on the bar on my main sets.

Don’t know if I explained that right.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 6:56:22 PM EDT
[#44]
I understand what you are saying...absolute strength is defined by the max weight you can lift for 1 rep.

But I also see how many lifters in their 40s and 50s have serious joint issues. Keep in mind that for me, 40s and 50s is young. So I am thinking that absolute strength is not important. What is important is that I get stronger....or at least not get weaker....and at the same time not injure myself. So if my definition of stronger is defined by an increase in weight doing 1 rep super slow, what's wrong with that? It's still an increase in weight and strength.

Of course this is only a good idea if super slow actually reduces the risk of injury. I'm not a doc, I'm an engineer, but it seems obvious to me that a lower load will reduce the strain on the joints, ligaments, and tendons. OTHO, I read in another thread that super slow increases the risk of injury.

That seems counter-intuitive to me, but can anyone cite any reference that prove this to be the case?

By the way, good looking dog! I'm on my 4th golden. I've now got an english cream GR....19 months old. He's my bud. He's looking at me now and sending me silent telepathic "Feed me!" messages.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Any thoughts?
View Quote
Regarding "super slow"... tempo lifts have their place, but I personally wouldn't do super slow lifts all of the time.  Moving onto something more important... going to failure and reducing the chance of injury do not seem to fit in the same concept.  The closer you get to failure, the easy your form/technique falls apart, and the greater chance for injury.

Strength is built (or readily maintained) with the bulk of the work in the 80 - 90% intensity range.

Provided that one has some solid experience under the bar, I really like auto-regulation using RPE.  For the four big lifts, I am currently staying in the 80 - 90% range, taking my top sets to RPE 8.5 - 9, and my frequency ican be as high as squatting 4x/wk, bench 3x/wk, press 2x, and deadlift 2x (assuming the best week where no life events derail my training schedule).

ETA: I'm 51, FWIW.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I understand what you are saying...absolute strength is defined by the max weight you can lift for 1 rep.

But I also see how many lifters in their 40s and 50s have serious joint issues. Keep in mind that for me, 40s and 50s is young. So I am thinking that absolute strength is not important. What is important is that I get stronger....or at least not get weaker....and at the same time not injure myself. So if my definition of stronger is defined by an increase in weight doing 1 rep super slow, what's wrong with that? It's still an increase in weight and strength.

Of course this is only a good idea if super slow actually reduces the risk of injury. I'm not a doc, I'm an engineer, but it seems obvious to me that a lower load will reduce the strain on the joints, ligaments, and tendons. OTHO, I read in another thread that super slow increases the risk of injury.

That seems counter-intuitive to me, but can anyone cite any reference that prove this to be the case?

By the way, good looking dog! I'm on my 4th golden. I've now got an english cream GR....19 months old. He's my bud. He's looking at me now and sending me silent telepathic "Feed me!" messages.
View Quote
Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I wasn’t talking about 1RM but max weight for a given rep range.

As I understand it, the difference between adding weight to the bar and simply slowing down the reps at a given weight is that the former causes an adaptation in strength and the latter does not, by virtue of the fact that the weight has not increased. You get more endurance but not stronger.

Let’s say you can, with some degree of difficulty, do a set of 5 squats at 250 lbs. You obviously want to progress, otherwise what’s the point? If you add 5 lbs. per month, in 6 months you’re squatting 280. You’re objectively stronger. But if you just slow down your reps, in 6 months you’re still squatting 250, but you’ve adapted to doing it very slowly. This is endurance, not additional strength, and it didn’t result in any gains in muscle mass. And, as we age, the more muscle mass we have the better off we’ll be.

There are other gains that come with gradually increasing the weight on the bar, not the least of which is increasing bone density and tendon and ligament strength.

I’m not suggesting pushing it to the point of injury. Gradual strength gains can be made with very small increments without compromising form.

Check out The Barbell Prescription, by Dr. Jonathan Sullivan and Andy Baker. They explain it way better than I can and they write it in a way an engineer can appreciate.

Thanks for the compliment on the dog. He’s our third. Most folks out this way think he’s an Irish Setter because they’re not used to seeing red Goldens from hunting lines.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 8:22:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Calling him an Irish Setter is an insult!

I will check out the book. Thanks for that.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 8:52:03 AM EDT
[#48]
For those of you doing 5x5 do you work out at all during your off days.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 12:21:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
For those of you doing 5x5 do you work out at all during your off days.
View Quote
Sunday: Rest
Monday: SL5x5
Tuesday: Run 10x400m repeats
Wednesday: SL5x5
Thursday: Long run (~10k)
Friday: SL5x5
Saturday: 6mi ruck, 35lbs

I'm going to add another sprint workout and more swimming/biking to this template.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 7:44:26 AM EDT
[#50]
48yrs @ 247pounds, did Keto getting off two years ago 300 to 200.5 with very little exercise getting lower than my Army basic training weight. I've always been over 190 since middle school. At 200.5 I was a bit skinny leg looking. Feeling I screwed up my metabolism I switched over to power lifting and had to up food intake to fuel that.
I still eat lower carb but need a little more carb in the tank for gains. Back in February I injured my shoulder and all pressing gains stopped and regressed.
Now doing PT and working hard at my recovery. I can't wait until I can start back benching again. The physical therapist helped me realize how messed up my squat was too. I was squatting this whole time falling forward. I've added more lighter dumbbells to assist in my shoulder recovery for my home exercises. While off for PT and recovery the power rack got a fresh coat of paint and is now reassembled. I'm looking at getting a Thompson Fat pad and making a much more solid flat and wider supporting bench than my current noisy Titan adjustable bench.
The shoulder is doing better, had ultrasound and Graston done last session on the torn muscle tissue (front chest at shoulder). All pressing motions are going to be super slow and methodical starting out again. My therapist suggests I not go chest deep with the bar anymore using the safety bars to set my stopping point. Basically limiting depth of bench to dumbbell/barbell benching while laying flat on the floor.  Just great, I'm an old dog with a new trick.
It's been a 5 month struggle lifting since the injury and a month off doing PT. Finally looking at getting back into the rack again.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top