Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 2:29:45 PM EDT
[#1]
310 for a double on squats just now gets me into the 1,000 lb. club.

Squat - 310
DL - 380
Bench - 315

Total - 1,005

I thought my deadlift would do it for me a few weeks ago, but I missed 390. I’ll get it this week.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 5:38:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Question:

For the guys posting their numbers, are you only doing Bench, DL, Squat and OHP or are you doing other exercises and just using those as the barometer?

I'm about to head to the gym now and am looking to make some changes to my routine. I'll post up what I started doing, was doing and am doing now, I could really use some solid advice.

Thanks guy, looking forward to contributing to this thread.

Link Posted: 7/22/2019 7:58:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Question:

For the guys posting their numbers, are you only doing Bench, DL, Squat and OHP or are you doing other exercises and just using those as the barometer?

I'm about to head to the gym now and am looking to make some changes to my routine. I'll post up what I started doing, was doing and am doing now, I could really use some solid advice.

Thanks guy, looking forward to contributing to this thread.

View Quote
Welcome!

It depends on where you are in your programming and what your goals are.

If you’re training for strength, early on there’s not much point in doing anything but the main lifts. A lot of guys here and in the 531 thread focus primarily on the big lifts and will add other lifts at some point to assist the main lifts. I also add them sometimes because I’m not immune to my ego when it comes to aesthetics. So, I’ll add curls every now and then, but really not very often.

Generally, I think it’s safe to say that those of us posting numbers have strength as a goal and, therefore, are focused on the main lifts. Others who are focused on size or aesthetics might not look at the numbers the same way and will often have a much broader exercise selection.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Weak guy checking in:

Been lifting about 6 months following SL 3x5

This weeks working sets:

BW: 165

S: 135
B: 150
OHP 95
DL: 240
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 7:50:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Weak guy checking in:

Been lifting about 6 months following SL 3x5

This weeks working sets:

BW: 165

S: 135
B: 150
OHP 95
DL: 240
View Quote
Very similar to where I was in spring 2018. I’m still weak compared to the guys in the 531 thread, but I’m gaining.

Keep at it and the numbers will go up.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in.
Edging up on 48 here, and all kinds of weak.

Three years ago I was 5'6, 175-180ish.  I got on the keto train dropping my weight down to 140 over 5-6 months and have managed to maintain that for the most part.  Fast forward another year; I'm getting a divorce and started working out with SL 5x5 to help manage my attitude and keep myself focused.  I was able to keep that up until I moved out of the house, then things started to slide...

Fast forward another 9 months and here I am again.  After a bunch of drinking, binge drinking, and generally eating (and probably acting) like an asshat I've finally decided enough is enough.  The divorce is done, it's time to move on.  Four weeks ago I started with some body weight exercises just to get stretched out and to get over that initial soreness hump.  I finally organized the garage of my rental condo, set up my weight rack and I'm now two weeks into SL 5x5.   I started with a blank bar and know it's going to start kicking my ass at some point soon, but I'm resisting the temptation to add weight and am trying to learn proper form instead.  I've also come to the conclusion that I should find a local gym and get a little coaching before I hurt myself...

A question for you guys:  I have a pretty standard set of uprights with spotter arms.  It used to have a multi-position bench bolted into it, but I ditched that in favor of a good quality flat bench (Rep Fitness).  Anyhow... I'm comfortable squatting and benching with this setup, but wonder if a full rack would offer any advantages or be any safer?

I'm looking forward to this journey.  One big goal of mine is to get back into cave and other technical diving; that usually requires carrying lots of weight in terms of tanks and gear, plus being fit enough to handle the rigors of diving.  Another thing I'd really like to do is participate in some of the run-and-gun events.  I'm going to have to start cardio training and jogging soon, but I'd like to get a few weeks of weights under my belt before adding anything new.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Is anyone interested in a clean copy of Practical Programming? I will note it is a First Edition copy, if that matters. I believe the first two editions are probably a little dated, and I believe written more towards coaching. But I thought I'd see if anyone here wanted to give it a home? If you want it, make a post claiming it, then PM me. I'd pay shipping* (*some exclusions may apply).
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 8:44:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Critique my workout please. This is what I'm currently doing.

46 years old, been working out for just under 2 years. I've lost 35 lbs, 5'7" no meds at all.

Monday - Upper body about 10 exercises, 3-4 sets of 10.
Tuesday - Treadmill for about 45-60 minutes, fast walking pace (I hate jogging).
Wednesday - Rest.
Thursday - Upper body - same as Monday.
Friday - Treadmill - same as Tuesday.
Saturday - Lower body about 10 exercises, squats/dead lifts will be around 6 sets.
Sunday - Rest.

I was lifting 5 days a week but I felt that was too much, I constantly hurt, like joint pain and never felt like I could recover.

I alternate push/pull and usually do multi-joint movements but there are a few single joint like curls/tri extentions and calf raises.

I feel better but am worried that I won't be working out enough.

I can list my exercises if someone wants.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Critique my workout please. This is what I'm currently doing.

46 years old, been working out for just under 2 years. I've lost 35 lbs, 5'7" no meds at all.

Monday - Upper body about 10 exercises, 3-4 sets of 10.
Tuesday - Treadmill for about 45-60 minutes, fast walking pace (I hate jogging).
Wednesday - Rest.
Thursday - Upper body - same as Monday.
Friday - Treadmill - same as Tuesday.
Saturday - Lower body about 10 exercises, squats/dead lifts will be around 6 sets.
Sunday - Rest.

I was lifting 5 days a week but I felt that was too much, I constantly hurt, like joint pain and never felt like I could recover.

I alternate push/pull and usually do multi-joint movements but there are a few single joint like curls/tri extentions and calf raises.

I feel better but am worried that I won't be working out enough.

I can list my exercises if someone wants.
View Quote
@Hulley

I can’t really offer a critique since I’m no pro. I can only speak to what I’ve learned about myself.

I’m a little older than you and that much volume would kill me.

I hit each of the 4 big lifts twice a week, once for volume and once heavy. I add one supplemental/assistance lift on each of my 4 lifting days.  Total exercises for upper and lower body combined is only 8. I’m pretty sure I’d be smoked if I did any more than that. Since my progress has been good, I’m not adding anything.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#10]
5'4"(certified manlet) 150lb doing SL 5x5 for 6 months

255 5x5 squats
175 5x5 bench
110 5x5 ohp
155 5x5 row
305 1x5 deadlift

Still progressing pretty easily, trying to gain weight but it feels impossible. Eat easy much good food as I can every day, will maybe get to 153lb, right back down to 150 by the end of the day or the next morning.

Need to figure out how I can bench more as well, feels like my form is either shitty or I just have bad chest power.

Ohp needs work too but I injured my right shoulder at work 2 weeks ago and have been stuck at 110, gonna reload next time I do ohp.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Been at it 18 months as of this week. Eating a ton and still gaining.

March 12, 2018.

183 lbs. BW

Deadlifts: 155
Squats: 95
Bench: 135
Press: 65

Today

230 lbs. BW

Deadlifts: 405
Squats: 320
Bench: 320
Press: 180

My goal when I started out was 5/4/3/2.

I’m 1 for 4. I might actually get there.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
5'4"(certified manlet) 150lb doing SL 5x5 for 6 months

255 5x5 squats
175 5x5 bench
110 5x5 ohp
155 5x5 row
305 1x5 deadlift

Still progressing pretty easily, trying to gain weight but it feels impossible. Eat easy much good food as I can every day, will maybe get to 153lb, right back down to 150 by the end of the day or the next morning.

Need to figure out how I can bench more as well, feels like my form is either shitty or I just have bad chest power.

Ohp needs work too but I injured my right shoulder at work 2 weeks ago and have been stuck at 110, gonna reload next time I do ohp.
View Quote
Track your calories strictly for 2 weeks along with your weight. I use My Fitness Pal for both. If you're not gaining weight, you're not eating enough, period. Try to increase by 300-500 calories a day.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 8:06:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Finally got 200 lbs.for a single on OHP. It was slooooowwwwww.

Now I can check off my second lift on the 500/400/300/200 list. (Got bench a while ago)

Next stop for OHP: 2 plates.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 8:34:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I guess this thread is pretty much dead.

But, since it’s a motivation thread for the old and weak, I’m checking in to say I just squatted 355x5.

100 lbs. up from a year ago and 260 lbs. better than when I started.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Great motivation.  I literally just started lifting Dec 3 using SL 5x5.  5'11 202 was not a good look.  Seeing those numbers is promising to what I have to look forward to by sticking with it and training hard.

Link Posted: 12/19/2019 8:08:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Great motivation.  I literally just started lifting Dec 3 using SL 5x5.  5'11 202 was not a good look.  Seeing those numbers is promising to what I have to look forward to by sticking with it and training hard.

View Quote
Good for you for getting started. Keep a log and share your progress here.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 1:41:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Too late to start?

Getting geared up for the “new year new me” BS. Got a peloton for myself for Christmas and am going to try to get back to my glory days of high school/early college.

Currently 32, 185lbs (roughly), 6’1 and haven’t been in the gym in 2-3 years. Used to be able to eat anything i wanted and still have a six pack. It’s finally catching up with me and i decided now is the time to nip it in the bud.

Two rides in on the peloton today, and I think the cardio is going to help get me back into shape pretty quick. Going to start off slow with some body weight workouts here at home before jumping back into the gym next week with the rest of the crowd.
Think I’ll start with the 5x5 and see where that goes since it gives me a good reason to start with some low weights.

I plan on getting all my measurements taken in the next couple days and want to post them somewhere (maybe here) to keep some accountability other than my wife.

Wish me luck in my future endeavors. Any tips or tricks for toning back up and adding some lean muscle are always welcome!
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 11:13:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Too late to start?

Getting geared up for the “new year new me” BS. Got a peloton for myself for Christmas and am going to try to get back to my glory days of high school/early college.

Currently 32, 185lbs (roughly), 6’1 and haven’t been in the gym in 2-3 years. Used to be able to eat anything i wanted and still have a six pack. It’s finally catching up with me and i decided now is the time to nip it in the bud.

Two rides in on the peloton today, and I think the cardio is going to help get me back into shape pretty quick. Going to start off slow with some body weight workouts here at home before jumping back into the gym next week with the rest of the crowd.
Think I’ll start with the 5x5 and see where that goes since it gives me a good reason to start with some low weights.

I plan on getting all my measurements taken in the next couple days and want to post them somewhere (maybe here) to keep some accountability other than my wife.

Wish me luck in my future endeavors. Any tips or tricks for toning back up and adding some lean muscle are always welcome!
View Quote
Definitely not too late to join in.

I’d think you could stand to add some mass at your height/weight.

I’m 6’2” and I figured I’d be ripped if I just lost weight. I got down to 180 and was still skinny fat and just felt small and weak. I’ve been adding mass for a year and half now and, while I still don’t have a six pack, I definitely look more muscular and fit at 242 than I did at 180. The Missus definitely thinks bigger and stronger is more masculine than just tall and skinny.  I’m a lot older than you though, so I’m less concerned with abs.

If you’re just getting started on lifting, don’t get complicated. Do a beginner’s linear progression and add size. That’ll take care of any “toning” you’re looking for.

Keep the thread alive with updates.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:11:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I’m 6’2” and I figured I’d be ripped if I just lost weight. I got down to 180 and was still skinny fat and just felt small and weak. I’ve been adding mass for a year and half now and, while I still don’t have a six pack, I definitely look more muscular and fit at 242 than I did at 180. The Missus definitely thinks bigger and stronger is more masculine than just tall and skinny.  I’m a lot older than you though, so I’m less concerned with abs.

If you’re just getting started on lifting, don’t get complicated. Do a beginner’s linear progression and add size. That’ll take care of any “toning” you’re looking for.

View Quote
Thanks!

“Back in the day” i was in the gym a couple times a day, and best friends with guys that are now professional body builders. I obviously took the other road. But the gym is no stranger to me. At the same time, i feel like it’s been so long that I don’t want to be afraid to take some direction. Starting fresh and relearning things isn’t going to hurt me.

As far as mass goes I’m with ya. 180 and “ripped” at 6’1 is still skinny. I’m thinking 200 should be a target weight. But i also don’t want to focus too much on the scale. I’d like to make sure I’m in shape (health wise) and target the physique I’m going for? I don’t really need 22” arms. Honestly. Don’t know that i even WANT 22” arms. I just want to fill my shirt sleeves and know that i can kick the other guys ass. ???????
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:15:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks!

“Back in the day” i was in the gym a couple times a day, and best friends with guys that are now professional body builders. I obviously took the other road. But the gym is no stranger to me. At the same time, i feel like it’s been so long that I don’t want to be afraid to take some direction. Starting fresh and relearning things isn’t going to hurt me.

As far as mass goes I’m with ya. 180 and “ripped” at 6’1 is still skinny. I’m thinking 200 should be a target weight. But i also don’t want to focus too much on the scale. I’d like to make sure I’m in shape (health wise) and target the physique I’m going for? I don’t really need 22” arms. Honestly. Don’t know that i even WANT 22” arms. I just want to fill my shirt sleeves and know that i can kick the other guys ass. ???????
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Doing a beginner/novice linear progression doesn’t mean you’re new to the gym. Didn’t mean to imply that that was the case.

Anytime you’ve been away from the weights for a while, even if you’re experienced, running an LP  will get you up to speed faster than anything else.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 1:02:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Doing a beginner/novice linear progression doesn't mean you're new to the gym. Didn't mean to imply that that was the case.

Anytime you've been away from the weights for a while, even if you're experienced, running an LP  will get you up to speed faster than anything else.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd think you could stand to add some mass at your height/weight.

I'm 6'2" and I figured I'd be ripped if I just lost weight. I got down to 180 and was still skinny fat and just felt small and weak. I've been adding mass for a year and half now and, while I still don't have a six pack, I definitely look more muscular and fit at 242 than I did at 180. The Missus definitely thinks bigger and stronger is more masculine than just tall and skinny.  I'm a lot older than you though, so I'm less concerned with abs.

If you're just getting started on lifting, don't get complicated. Do a beginner's linear progression and add size. That'll take care of any "toning" you're looking for.

Thanks!

"Back in the day" i was in the gym a couple times a day, and best friends with guys that are now professional body builders. I obviously took the other road. But the gym is no stranger to me. At the same time, i feel like it's been so long that I don't want to be afraid to take some direction. Starting fresh and relearning things isn't going to hurt me.

As far as mass goes I'm with ya. 180 and "ripped" at 6'1 is still skinny. I'm thinking 200 should be a target weight. But i also don't want to focus too much on the scale. I'd like to make sure I'm in shape (health wise) and target the physique I'm going for? I don't really need 22" arms. Honestly. Don't know that i even WANT 22" arms. I just want to fill my shirt sleeves and know that i can kick the other guys ass.
Doing a beginner/novice linear progression doesn't mean you're new to the gym. Didn't mean to imply that that was the case.

Anytime you've been away from the weights for a while, even if you're experienced, running an LP  will get you up to speed faster than anything else.
With the time away from the gym you have had you will also get gains like a new lifter.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
@grady

Do you have before/after pics of yourself?

I'm 48, work in IT for decades and am soft and I'm tired of it.
Also, how did you gain so much weight?  Are you eating a lot more than before?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
@grady

Do you have before/after pics of yourself?

I'm 48, work in IT for decades and am soft and I'm tired of it.
Also, how did you gain so much weight?  Are you eating a lot more than before?
View Quote
@JamiesGotAGun

No pics. Sorry.

Yeah, I have to eat more than I like. I make myself eat when I’m not terribly hungry. Although I’m a keto fan boi, I have to focus on getting carbs, too. It’s easy for me to eat a lot of protein. I have to eat carbs on purpose.

I’ve learned that carbs will make you big one way or another. Whether it’s good big or bad big depends on whether you’re sitting on your ass or not.

You can get away without eating a lot of carbs for a while. But then the weight gets heavy, you hit the wall, and it’s time to load up on them.

I managed to get up to 245 then my wife started dieting (keto) and I’ve been losing weight by accident.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 12:40:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Since this is supposed to be a general motivation thread and not a personal training log...

For anybody just starting out, stick with it. Don’t find excuses to miss workouts. You will get there, even if you’re old like me. Still trying to get to 500D/400S/300B/200P.

I started exactly 2 years ago.

March 12, 2018:

183 lbs.

Squats: 95x3x5
Deadlift: 155x1x5
Bench: 135x3x5
Press: 65x3x5

Chins: 4-1-1
Dips: 6-4-2

March 12, 2019:

224 lbs.

Squat: 275x5
Deadlift: 350x6, 370x1
Bench: 275x5, 305x1
Press: 167.5x5, 170x2

Chins: 10-10-7-7-7
Dips (weighted): +25x10x5

March 12, 2020

245 lbs.

Squat: 345x5, 385x2
Deadlift: 405x5, 455x2
Bench: 300x5, 335x2
Press: 185x4, 205x1

Weighted chins: +25x8
Weighted dips: +70x10x5
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top