Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Free SBR stamp? (Page 8 of 16)
Page / 16
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:02:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Lots of reports of people getting multiple submissions back in under a month; then here I am almost to the 4 month mark for 1 stupid brace!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 3:18:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kokopelli:
Lots of reports of people getting multiple submissions back in under a month; then here I am almost to the 4 month mark for 1 stupid brace!!
View Quote

Had some in the month to 45 day range.

My 9mm AR took 112 days. Unfortunately, no rhyme or reason for it. That one was submitted with 4 others (ink prints), all which came back earlier. Even the one I did with EFT, and a month after the 5 came back just under 45 days.

Luck of the draw.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m tempted to cancel my 3/2 submission and resubmit seeing all these ones coming through that were submitted much later.  I have approved ones from 3/1 and 3/17.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Diesel1979:
I’m tempted to cancel my 3/2 submission and resubmit seeing all these ones coming through that were submitted much later.  I have approved ones from 3/1 and 3/17.
View Quote

There’s no point as it’ll just make your wait that much longer.

NFA is and always has been a waiting game and it’s also random.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 4:48:59 PM EDT
[#5]
↑ This

You guys need to stop thinking the government has a plan, strategy or motive. It's a complete mystery when they do anything, always has been and always will be. Even they don't know.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#6]
First time filing anything under the NFA.
Filed two through SilencerShop on 4/27. First one came back approved today 5/18. We will see how long the other one takes.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Got the approval email today, 8 days after it was submitted.

Will there be a paper copy w/stamp sent to me as well?  If so, do I have to wait to have that in hand before "making" the SBR?  First time doing the eform deal so unclear how this part works.

Thanks

Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JuanPing:

Will there be a paper copy w/stamp sent to me as well?  If so, do I have to wait to have that in hand before "making" the SBR?  First time doing the eform deal so unclear how this part works.

Thanks

View Quote
With traditional efiled F1's you get an emailed copy of the form with the stamp embedded in the pdf.

With the forbearance F1's you just get a signed approved pdf. You didn't pay for a stamp, so you don't get one.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

I was actually thinking the same- my submission was on my Trust, which already has 4 other nfa items, approved over a few years- and resubmitting as an individual.

I don’t think I’ve seen another Trust submission languishing 100+ days.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 10:00:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
With traditional efiled F1's you get an emailed copy of the form with the stamp embedded in the pdf.

With the forbearance F1's you just get a signed approved pdf. You didn't pay for a stamp, so you don't get one.
View Quote

Technically, you don't get a stamp with any eForm approval either.  The only way to get an actual stamp is to paper file.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 10:18:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I got an approval yesterday from a 4/22 submission.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 6:26:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By jtb33:

Technically, you don't get a stamp with any eForm approval either.  The only way to get an actual stamp is to paper file.  
View Quote
I probably should have put the word stamp in quotes.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 6:34:35 AM EDT
[#13]

I was actually thinking the same- my submission was on my Trust, which already has 4 other nfa items, approved over a few years- and resubmitting as an individual.

View Quote

For Form 1s with trusts, it seems that the vast majority are taking 70+ days, lately.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:26:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Glocked] [#14]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

For Form 1s with trusts, it seems that the vast majority are taking 70+ days, lately.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yea, I’ve some paid Form 1 trust submissions well over 100 days, not a single approval yet.

Talked to an examiner yesterday about one submitted more recently, after 60+ days in pending research, I was told to withdraw it and submit it under the brace rule. It’s obviously a stripped receiver, plenty of pics provided of it showing it’s a stripped receiver. It also wasn’t released till after the rule was.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:35:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Glocked:

Yea, I’ve some paid Form 1 trust submissions well over 100 days, not a single approval yet.

Talked to an examiner yesterday about one submitted more recently, after 60+ days in pending research, I was told to withdraw it and submit it under the brace rule. It’s obviously a stripped receiver, plenty of pics provided of it showing it’s a stripped receiver. It also wasn’t released till after the rule was.
View Quote

I'm at 64 days currently on a paid trust +1rp Form 1 and it's still in submitted/in-process
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 1:18:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I got one approved today submitted on 2/14
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 1:21:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Thanks

View Quote

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here but isn't the SBR already "made" and that's why this is an "amnesty?" Some people have just slapped on a stock as soon as the e-form was submitted.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 1:38:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Glocked] [#18]
Originally Posted By MorningNapalm:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here but isn't the SBR already "made" and that's why this is an "amnesty?" Some people have just slapped on a stock as soon as the e-form was submitted.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MorningNapalm:

Thanks

Originally Posted By ATF FAQ:

12. Once the firearm is registered as a short-barreled rifle (SBR) can I remove/change the “stabilizing brace” or attach an item marketed as a stock? If so, am I required to notify ATF in advance?

• Yes, the firearm is registered as an SBR, and you can change out the “brace” device or stock for a different brace or stock. You do not need to contact ATF/NFA because changing the brace/stock does not change the configuration of the SBR. However, if the length of the firearm has changed you will need to notify the NFA Division. Final Note: The SBR is not “registered” until an approved Form 1 is received from NFA. The brace cannot be substituted/replaced until that time.

FAQ
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#19]

FAQ
View Quote

thanks
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I decided to put my braced pistols in before the amnesty period is over, and opted to use Silencershop as I've used them before.  

I just received the docusign from them and Form 1s all have the TAX PAID box checked, is that right?  I was under the impression there was no tax in this brace situation -- so wondering if Silencershop or myself made a mistake -- or if they all look that way.  On the ATF FAQ  it does indicate one must submit an Application to Make and Register a Firearm -- so it sorta seems right -- I'm just not seeing anywhere in the Form1 itself where it says its tax free.  

Can anybody point me in the right direction?
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#21]
You should be fine. My one that I did through SS said the same thing. I was confused and then said fuck it. If something comes up and they deny it I'll just re-do it on my own. It all went through fine. Came back approved a couple of days ago. Took like 5 weeks.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 6:27:59 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

I submitted 9 of them and received 8 back in 14 days to 2 months. But I’m still waiting on the last one from Feb 2nd!
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 6:34:47 PM EDT
[#23]
It’s funny how it’s considered an SBR, the brace is considered a stock, but you can’t swap out the brace for a stock.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By linuxgnar:
I decided to put my braced pistols in before the amnesty period is over, and opted to use Silencershop as I've used them before.  

I just received the docusign from them and Form 1s all have the TAX PAID box checked, is that right?  I was under the impression there was no tax in this brace situation -- so wondering if Silencershop or myself made a mistake -- or if they all look that way.  On the ATF FAQ  it does indicate one must submit an Application to Make and Register a Firearm -- so it sorta seems right -- I'm just not seeing anywhere in the Form1 itself where it says its tax free.  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By linuxgnar:

Originally Posted by Stowe:
You should be fine. My one that I did through SS said the same thing. I was confused and then said fuck it. If something comes up and they deny it I'll just re-do it on my own. It all went through fine. Came back approved a couple of days ago. Took like 5 weeks.

Thank you! I guess I'll go ahead and sign the forms.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#25]
It’s funny how it’s considered an SBR, the brace is considered a stock, but you can’t swap out the brace for a stock.
View Quote

When it's registered you can, though.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

What he said…

All of my braced pistols are now stocked SBRs.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Filed 3/5 through Silencer Shop. Got approved today 5/19.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 2:49:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Princeton] [#28]
Originally Posted By Princeton:
Has anybody had any approvals in the last couple weeks?

I did 1 efile then a week and a half later did 5 more efile on the same day and in 16 days one of the ones from the batch of 5 came back approved and then nothing since, been almost 2 months now.
Check my email at least 5 times a day!

I’d like to make a few changes on a couple of the guns but I’m reluctant until after they’re approved so that none of the measurements get screwed up just in case I need to send pictures or whatever.
View Quote

Friday I got the 5th one of the 6 total I submitted paperwork for approved and finally it was the one I was wanting the most to get back because I want to make some changes. Already have all the parts to complete the rebuild.

The last one I’m waiting for I’m expecting will be denied because I recently discovered a mistake in the paperwork. Really no big deal I was thinking of just removing the brace and buffer tube anyway and making it a true pistol in .22LR.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 12:06:35 AM EDT
[#29]
I submitted my eform1 under forbearance on 3/7 and was approved 69 days later, which also happend to be around the time the ATF pistol brace  hearing started. At that time they stated only 150k applications had been completed. Now that time is running out the flood gates will open with new applications...I'm betting it will take 6 months to a year now
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 12:07:24 AM EDT
[#30]
I submitted my eform1 under forbearance on 3/7 and was approved 69 days later, which also happend to be around the time the ATF pistol brace  hearing started. At that time they stated only 150k applications had been completed. Now that time is running out the flood gates will open with new applications...I'm betting it will take 6 months to a year now
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 12:11:45 AM EDT
[#31]
You can log in and correct the error before it gets denied. Just download a copy of the submitted form, open with a pdf editor and make corrections. Save file but rename it 5320.1_corrected.pdf.  then upload that file under the electronic document section of your original submitted form.

That's what I did and it worked no problem.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 4:32:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PC-Tech] [#32]
Question for anyone that may know:
I used The Electronic fingerprint (EFT file) on my application.  I just received the submission email and had the Cover letter to send in 2 copies of the fingerprint cards within 10 days.  I take it this is the ATF being the ATF and not having logic to strip that out of the email if someone used the EFT file.  Am I right to assume I do not need to send them in?

EDIT:  Sent in an "Ask the Expert Question" from the ATF site. Just got a reply.  The reply stated:
          "If you submitted an EFT physical prints are not necessary."

Link Posted: 5/22/2023 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By PC-Tech:
Question for anyone that may know:
I used The Electronic fingerprint (EFT file) on my application.  I just received the submission email and had the Cover letter to send in 2 copies of the fingerprint cards within 10 days.  I take it this is the ATF being the ATF and not having logic to strip that out of the email if someone used the EFT file.  Am I right to assume I do not need to send them in?

EDIT:  Sent in an "Ask the Expert Question" from the ATF site. Just got a reply.  The reply stated:
          "If you submitted an EFT physical prints are not necessary."

View Quote

If your Eft uploaded correctly it should say REC’D to the right of each responsible persons name.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#34]

If your Eft uploaded correctly it should say REC'D to the right of each responsible persons name.
View Quote
It does. Thanks

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 12:22:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 302w] [#35]
Edited
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 12:23:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 302w:
I submitted my application 3/8. Oddly enough, I don't see anything on the website but did receive a submitted/in progress email from the ATF.

I called and spoke with the ATF and they do have my paperwork and prints.

I suppose I should just wait but it is irritating that I can't check online.
View Quote

You're checking on the standard eForms website and not the brace specific one correct?
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Firestarter123:

You're checking on the standard eForms website and not the brace specific one correct?
View Quote

Brace specific
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Brace specific
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Firestarter123:

Brace specific

You need to check on the standard eForms website as that’s where it ends up once it’s submitted.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:42:54 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Exposing the lie
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:43:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveE111] [#40]

Except that you can. Once approved you can do what you want. This was specifically addressed in the FAQ
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:43:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By whs78:

Exposing the lie
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By whs78:

Exposing the lie

Maybe if we declare them Trans-rifles it will be ok?
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 11:05:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By DaveE111:

Except that you can. Once approved you can do what you want. This was specifically addressed in the FAQ
View Quote

And if the OAL changes, they need to be notified in writing?
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 11:07:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By PAESAN:

And if the OAL changes, they need to be notified in writing?
View Quote
They want to be notified. There is no legal requirement to do so.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 11:45:09 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Sort of.  On the submittal you are to provide length dimensions.  Switching to a stock changes those dimensions, and so what you have is no longer what was submitted and undergoing the review process.

I rather doubt anyone cares in reality.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 12:23:45 AM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

This proves the ATF knows that the brace isn’t a stock. If you already have an unregistered SBR, then you should be able to put any thing in it you want.

I’m not advocating anything (the FAQ says what it says), but the ATF stepped into a logical fallacy.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 7:47:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Skullsoldier:

This proves the ATF knows that the brace isn’t a stock. If you already have an unregistered SBR, then you should be able to put any thing in it you want.

I’m not advocating anything (the FAQ says what it says), but the ATF stepped into a logical fallacy.
View Quote

That is what I was thinking. Since they classify the brace as a stock, why can't I put a stock in it while I wait months for them to approve a form 1.  It’s the same thing right?  Typical govt nonsense.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:43:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Just had a Silencer Shop eform1 come back approved, total turnaround was about 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#48]
I submitted 5 free form 1's on 4/15, just got the first one back. Hope the rest are not too far out.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Finely got them to work and got the email from fatf. The website doesn’t play well with a iPad but got it to work on a computer today.
What a pain.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:54:25 PM EDT
[#50]
At what point are you supposed to send in the CLEO sheets?
Page / 16
Free SBR stamp? (Page 8 of 16)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top