BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 42
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 9:25:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Receivers cracking isn't a surprise, especially with the round counts of the rifles.  Expect you'll see more and more across other brands and models as firearms age with higher round counts.

Aluminum has a finite fatigue life which means it will always break.  It's just a matter of time based on how much load is applied and number of cycles.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:
I asked the staff about the Sig MCX and they said it has had zero issues since we put in the line. It doesn’t get nearly the abuse as our workhorses but I think it’s coming close to two years now?

V/R
Ron
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JK-919:
Any Sig MCXes on the line? (I guess they’re sort of AR-like and fit in this thread, the upper works on an AR lower)
I asked the staff about the Sig MCX and they said it has had zero issues since we put in the line. It doesn’t get nearly the abuse as our workhorses but I think it’s coming close to two years now?

V/R
Ron
Any chance you have a MPX or Copperhead? I'm curious about their reliability since I'm getting interested in PCCs.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 1:57:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HKPOF] [#3]
Hi Ron,

Does Lucas or Slip have chlorinated esters in their oils//greases?  I ask because Grant Cunningham posted this about it and how it can cause cracking in guns...

Quote: "(One major gun manufacturer actually had barrels fall off of their revolvers. An investigation ensued, and they found that the chlorinated esters used in their machining oils was causing stress cracking in barrel threads. When combined with the gun owners’ use of cleaning and lube compounds containing chlorinated esters, the barrels simply sheared off at the weakest part – the threads. Like most aircraft makers, the company learned to forbid chlorine-carrying compounds on the manufacturing floor, to prevent a recurrence.)"

https://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/05/lubrication-101/

I think it would be important to stick to non-chlorinated oils/greases to protect the longevity of the firearms used at your business.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 11:25:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sincerd] [#4]

V/R
Ron
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JK-919:
Any Sig MCXes on the line? (I guess they’re sort of AR-like and fit in this thread, the upper works on an AR lower)

V/R
Ron
Running FA?

Gotta keep this thread going.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:04:14 PM EDT
[#5]

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Ron,
Do you know if it was a pre-recall or post-recall production example? (Bolt carrier change) If it was post recall, was your example changed?
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 10:08:01 PM EDT
[#6]

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Ron, are the PSA uppers still holding up well? Are they the nitrided or FN CHF barreled uppers? What barrel lengths are you using on the PSA?
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 1:45:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mace2364] [#7]
Ron,

I really appreciate all of the time you’ve put into this thread, as well as the others.

I would like to know about a couple oddballs that I haven’t seen mentioned, if you don’t mind.

How are the SAR-80 and AR-70 holding up?

Thanks in advance,
Mace
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 11:23:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Maka10] [#8]
I'm no AR expert at all. But I have a question? I'm wondering if will help with reducing wear from force.

Would the Capture Buffer spring systems like JP, Armspec and other, perhaps, not reduce the wear forces on the entire AR functioning parts and Body's? Especially high usage, and long term?

I run the Armspec in some of my AR's and it certainly reduces force reactions.

Ron Thanks so much for sharing. Love the stuff you are posting.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 12:24:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By mace2364:
Ron,

I really appreciate all of the time you’ve put into this thread, as well as the others.

I would like to know about a couple oddballs that I haven’t seen mentioned, if you don’t mind.

How are the SAR-80 and AR-70 holding up?

Thanks in advance,
Mace
View Quote
They don't get a bunch of use just because of them not being very popular but they have not had any issues since going on the line.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 12:25:42 AM EDT
[#10]
We've been using the standard, non-CHF uppers lately and we get PLENTY of use out of them.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 10:22:37 AM EDT
[#11]
We've been using the standard, non-CHF uppers lately and we get PLENTY of use out of them.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Thanks Ron for checking in on us; your insight here is much appreciated because you and your crew are using all firearms to what they were intended to be, and it real world experience
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:07:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank you for all of your hard work Ron.  I had a couple of follow up questions that you touched on and wanted to see what your opinion was now.

1. You said that you were going to try McFarland Style 1 piece gas rings.  Did you get a chance and if so what is your opinion.

2. Are you still only running the HK clone when it comes to AR style piston guns?

3. What is your current lube for the guns?

Thanks again for your time and hard work.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 5:25:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K1LLD33R] [#13]
Finally in half a decade later
Ron, tons of respect

Also in for info with a mcfarland ring from jp sitting on my lantac...

Attachment Attached File

How are the LANTAC/s treating you nowadays?

(From pg. 34)
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 2:34:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mrozowjj] [#14]
Originally Posted By suprmatch:
I don't know why firearm manufacturers aren't lining up to supply you with firearms (for free) to put on the line and test. But then again maybe some don't want to know how their guns don't stack up against others.

Great thread Ron!
View Quote
I was wondering that too. If I was making a gun I'd give him one to use in the range. The amount of data you'd get from seeing what parts broke would be invaluable to companies like Sig, FN, B&T, etc that are going for military contacts.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 7:17:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By mrozowjj:

I was wondering that too. If I was making a gun I'd give him one to use in the range. The amount of data you'd get from seating what parts broke would be invaluable to companies like Sig, FN, B&T, etc that are going for military contacts.
View Quote
The problem is likely the liability risks associated with allowing customers to test fire unproven firearms. Also there would have to be sufficient customer interest in renting an unknown firearm to reach the round counts required.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:41:12 AM EDT
[#16]
“Who wants to shoot the NGSW?”
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 3:05:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By FlowersForFoes:
Finally in half a decade later
Ron, tons of respect

Also in for info with a mcfarland ring from jp sitting on my lantac...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/498555/BBBE7BCE-9732-4776-882E-521C4ED66D61_jpe-1250152.JPG

How are the LANTAC/s treating you nowadays?
View Quote
I asked the guys and they said they are on par with the other carriers... no better, no worse. I thought for sure it would make clean-up easier but they said they throw them in the ultrasonic cleaner and clean up is about the same as the other carriers. I didn't get status of the bolt itself, I just asked about the carrier.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By PBreezy:
Thank you for all of your hard work Ron.  I had a couple of follow up questions that you touched on and wanted to see what your opinion was now.

1. You said that you were going to try McFarland Style 1 piece gas rings.  Did you get a chance and if so what is your opinion.

2. Are you still only running the HK clone when it comes to AR style piston guns?

3. What is your current lube for the guns?

Thanks again for your time and hard work.
View Quote
In order....

- I don't think we've got around to running those yet.

- As for HK's, we actually put four factory HK-416's on the line. The HK clone held up WAY longer than anyone expected. I can't remember which piece finally gave but I did get a hold of the original manufacture of those uppers and he does have replacement parts. I just have to remember to order them from him.

- We are still using Lucas oil and Slip 2000 products on all the weapons, to include the M134's now.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#19]
@HendersonDefense

What parts do you see fail on your Steyr AUGs? How does their reliability compare to ARs, AKs, and HKs?
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 6:07:35 PM EDT
[#20]
M134
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 2:07:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sincerd] [#21]
@HendersonDefense

Irst off Thanks for all the updates.

Any update on

Sig mcx?

Sig mpx?

Sr15s
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I’ve read through this thread a bunch but I can’t seem to find anything posted on this, though it’s probably already been covered...

Ron,

How have set screw gas blocks held up compared to pinned? Are the barrels dimpled?
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:53:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Surprisingly enough, gas blocks have held up and they don’t have set screws. What they did have are gas blocks that are tucked underneath rails but I thought for sure they would loosen up over time.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:20:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Surprisingly enough, gas blocks have held up and they don’t have set screws. What they did have are gas blocks that are tucked underneath rails but I thought for sure they would loosen up over time.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
My guess is that whatever space exists between the gas block and the barrel gets filled up very quickly with carbon and other crud - so if it doesn't come loose within the first few hundred rounds, it probably never will and it will actually become more secure as the barrel gets more use.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Don't know if this question is already answered, but are there any KAC guns on the line (with the E3 bolt)?  If so how are they holding up?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#26]
How are the Bren rifles holding up? I imagine they dont get as much use as others.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 4:26:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Any updates on the Steyr AUGs and the IWI Tavors re: round counts and parts breakage? Thanks and have a good one!
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#28]

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Thanks Ron!
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By ICU:
M134
View Quote
My son bought me some time on the BFV M134 for my 70th birthday.

It took weeks for the smile to wear off.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 7:33:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Surefire1002:
Any updates on the Steyr AUGs and the IWI Tavors re: round counts and parts breakage? Thanks and have a good one!
View Quote
In for curiosity of AUG durability!
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Strela:

My son bought me some time on the BFV M134 for my 70th birthday.

It took weeks for the smile to wear off.
View Quote

Me and my wife stop in every time we go to Vegas! Good stuff!
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 10:35:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By MRW:
How's business in Vegas?
View Quote

We closed the range down two weeks ago but have kept all of our staff employed. We have seven years worth of cleaning and rehab to do. We've been so busy since opening that all things we've needed to get done have just been sitting and building up. This shutdown has had a silver lining for us. Staff are staying busy and getting a change of pace and long-deserved break. Guys are restoring tanks, painting/epoxying the floors and walls, expanding the footprint of our "FOB" and doing general maintenance all around the property.  

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 1:37:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Great to hear you guys are doing ok, stay safe
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Yep, very good to hear.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 7:30:20 PM EDT
[#36]

We closed the range down two weeks ago but have kept all of our staff employed. We have seven years worth of cleaning and rehab to do. We've been so busy since opening that all things we've needed to get done have just been sitting and building up. This shutdown has had a silver lining for us. Staff are staying busy and getting a change of pace and long-deserved break. Guys are restoring tanks, painting/epoxying the floors and walls, expanding the footprint of our "FOB" and doing general maintenance all around the property.  

V/R
Ron
View Quote

Now there is a man who took lemons and made lemonade. Stay Safe!
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:41:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By SiGfever:

Now there is a man who took lemons and made lemonade. Stay Safe!
View Quote

I think you mean he put the lime in his Corona

Link Posted: 4/13/2020 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Glad your doing well Ron......thanks for this thread and all you do
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 4:17:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HKPOF] [#39]
Ron, what would be a proper respectable tip to give the RSO ?  $5? $10? $20 or ?  What do the RSO's average per customer for a tip usually?

Also, does your range have rubber shock absorbent padding on the floors like a gym has to limit damage to dropped guns?  If not, it might be a wise investment to have them to protect guns/optics if they are dropped.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:41:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Thank you for sharing your experience, and taking time to share is also commendable.

I keep thinking, armory/gun cleaning has potential to be a great episode of "Dirty Jobs" with Mike Rowe.

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:54:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Thought of you guys, thankyou for all the updates so far
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#42]
OP,

Thanks for taking the time to post this.  You have added to the body of knowledge, which as an old teacher, is a wonderful thing.

1.  Do you keep uppers, lowers and BCGs dedicated to each other?  IOW, will an upper always use the same BCG until it fails?

2.  How often do you headspace?
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 7:12:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Just giving a bump.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Ron, I’m curious what sorts of processes your guys use to clean all those weapons after the heavy use they get every day.  

I’m a big believer in weapon cleaning being the best preventive maintenance there is.  Your operation clearly depends on your weapons staying on the line as close to 100% as possible, so I think your guys’ processes and techniques would be instructive to the rest of us.

And thanks again for sharing with us.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 3:23:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Hi Ron,

Thank you for all the valuable information.

Got few questions.

1) Interested in knowing how IWI X95 is holding up. Approximately how many rounds have you guys put through it and what parts needed to be replaced.

2) Do you still rent full auto firearms off premises ? If so, how does that work with ATF since rental is taking place outside your place of business. Do you have to check them out of your books and re-enter ?

Cheers !
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By gangsterjatt:
Hi Ron,

Thank you for all the valuable information.

Got few questions.

1) Interested in knowing how IWI X95 is holding up. Approximately how many rounds have you guys put through it and what parts needed to be replaced.

2) Do you still rent full auto firearms off premises ? If so, how does that work with ATF since rental is taking place outside your place of business. Do you have to check them out of your books and re-enter ?

Cheers !
View Quote

+1 on the x95, would love to hear about that!
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 11:05:24 AM EDT
[#47]
very cool thread, while its not a fair comparison I find it interesting to read about the reliability of the rifle ARs compared to the carbine ARs
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#48]

V/R
Ron
View Quote

10+ weeks have you caught up on all the upkeep & improvements?
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 5:54:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Ronnoc:

+1 on the x95, would love to hear about that!
View Quote

+1!!!!
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 9:02:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Ron, awhile ago you were testing Wolf T91 piston uppers, how did they fair?
Page / 42
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top