Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 42
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By veeklog:
Love this thread! Miss Ron contributing more, but he running a business, so it is great whenever he gives his input. Ron, thanks for getting back to us and keep the good work
View Quote
Seconded. If you're the "buy once, cry once" type, this thread will save you a ton of money and tears. Then you can go to the Amazon clearance thread and burn up all the spare cash you saved in this thread.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 3:19:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:

The gas blocks have all failed on our ACR's.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Interesting, if possible I also would like to see where they failed :) Would not of been my first guess where the ACR would fail lol.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 6:53:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know why firearm manufacturers aren't lining up to supply you with firearms (for free) to put on the line and test. But then again maybe some don't want to know how their guns don't stack up against others.

Great thread Ron!
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 7:19:12 AM EDT
[#4]
One of the best threads on this site. I have read over this thread several times. Thank you for sharing your experiences.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#5]
We had a couple of weapons go down today. One of our M134 "miniguns" suffered a crack in the main housing and we lost another M4 upper that snapped at the extension of the upper receiver. I guess we've lost quite a few uppers in this manner. This Colt M4 already had it's upper swapped once prior to this catastrophic failure today. It happened on the second to last round and it only twisted slightly when it stopped functioning. The RSO immediately replaced the weapon and gave her a new a magazine but again, nobody was injured, the barrel assembly moved forward no more than an inch and twisted just slightly.

I don't know who made this upper but it's an Anchor-Harvey forging with "M4" engraved on the face of the receiver.

Edited to add: This upper receiver was put into service on 27 MAR 18 but we have no records of who manufactured it where we got it from. I don't know how it ended up on the line because the barrel was Charles Daily Defense (marked CDD 5.56 1/7 NATO) and I don't know how we ended up with it. The only thing I can think of is that we took it in trade and the staff put it into service as we don't sell these parts at Battlefield Vegas.

V/R
Ron

https://i.imgur.com/b8HC0BN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wUnjRAh.jpg
View Quote
Does this happen to the Colt 6940 uppers? They seem to be more robust in that particular area.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 3:12:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Frost7] [#6]
Originally Posted By FullAssault:
Does this happen to the Colt 6940 uppers? They seem to be more robust in that particular area.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FullAssault:
We had a couple of weapons go down today. One of our M134 "miniguns" suffered a crack in the main housing and we lost another M4 upper that snapped at the extension of the upper receiver. I guess we've lost quite a few uppers in this manner. This Colt M4 already had it's upper swapped once prior to this catastrophic failure today. It happened on the second to last round and it only twisted slightly when it stopped functioning. The RSO immediately replaced the weapon and gave her a new a magazine but again, nobody was injured, the barrel assembly moved forward no more than an inch and twisted just slightly.

I don't know who made this upper but it's an Anchor-Harvey forging with "M4" engraved on the face of the receiver.

Edited to add: This upper receiver was put into service on 27 MAR 18 but we have no records of who manufactured it where we got it from. I don't know how it ended up on the line because the barrel was Charles Daily Defense (marked CDD 5.56 1/7 NATO) and I don't know how we ended up with it. The only thing I can think of is that we took it in trade and the staff put it into service as we don't sell these parts at Battlefield Vegas.

V/R
Ron

https://i.imgur.com/b8HC0BN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wUnjRAh.jpg
694X is a tank in this spot. IIRC LMTs are as well. Would be surprised to see a failure there that’s not related to a major ammo malf.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Ron,

I haven’t read all 36 pages, only about 7. Great information and reads. Got a question that might have already been asked. Sounds like your running tons of FA setups. How are say commercial SA Colts holding up to your FA M4s? I know FA fire is harder than SA. Just curious if your experience significantly less malfunctions and wear with SA Carbines.

Awesome thread!
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 7:00:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: networkguru] [#8]

This has happened to every upper receiver we've used to be honest. I just don't pictures in time before the RSO's start tearing things down. It's happened to Colt, Daniel Defense, PSA and every other brand we use. It's just part of the game when going through a high volume of ammo

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Hey Ron,
Awesome thread thanks for enduring it for us.
In regards to the uppers breaking at the barrel nut.
Have you used any of the Aero M4E1 enhanced uppers?

Could a upper receiver be designed to eliminate that failure?
Sorry if it was previously asked.  Long thread.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 4:00:02 PM EDT
[#9]
@HendersonDefense

Great thread, I always come back to it to get more data.

Do you have any further input on nitride treated barrels?  I know you were saying that the CL barrels last twice as long as the nitride barrels, how much longer do the nitride barrels last compared to unlined?  Might not be kosher to talk about specific manufacturers, but wondering if you have any Ballistic Advantage or Faxon barrels on your line and how well they've done.

Further upthread you also mentioned eliminating egging out of FCG holes on 9mm subguns by converting to A5 stocks, rifle springs, and H3 buffers.  By A5 stocks, were you referring to the A5 length extensions?

Great thread, though I'm kind of bummed about pmags not holding up as well as USGI...since I already have a pile of pmags .  Time to get some Brownells mags...
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 12:50:15 AM EDT
[#10]
any update on the PSA AK gen 3s that were going strong 6 months ago?
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 2:15:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By wormraper:
View Quote
I think there's an @HendersonDefense AK thread somewhere.  But, yes, I'd like to know how they're doing, too.  I still don't have an AK and I'd like to buy an American one!
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 5:47:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JK-919] [#12]
Does he still post here?

Also anyone have links to the non-AR thread(s)?
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 6:39:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#13]
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 7:17:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By DaTrueDave:
I think there's an @HendersonDefense AK thread somewhere.  But, yes, I'd like to know how they're doing, too.  I still don't have an AK and I'd like to buy an American one!
View All Quotes
AKOU ran a 5000 round test on the new PSA GF3 models with hammer forged components.

The review when it was all said and done was extremely positive. Rob was quite impressed and he's no shill.

I bought one myself and it's been as reliable and accurate as any AK I have at about 1500 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By M4:

AKOU ran a 5000 round test on the new PSA GF3 models with hammer forged components.

The review when it was all said and done was extremely positive. Rob was quite impressed and he's no shill.

I bought one myself and it's been as reliable and accurate as any AK I have at about 1500 rounds.
View Quote
Mine could've used a bit more attention to assembly. I took it out 2 weekends in a row, and put 250 rounds through it each time. Not a single functional issue. But first time out my stock rattled loose, and drooped/flopped. Second time out QD sling on handguard rattled loose and fell off.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 1:42:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By veeklog:
Love this thread! Miss Ron contributing more, but he running a business, so it is great whenever he gives his input. Ron, thanks for getting back to us and keep the good work
View Quote
I will update this thread with pics of some new failures that we’ve never experienced before.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:51:59 AM EDT
[#17]

I will update this thread with pics of some new failures that we’ve never experienced before.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
I am way too much of an engineer, because seeing this about new and exciting never-seen-before failures?

OMG!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 10:02:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Neat.   Looking forward to 'em.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#19]
My staff set these two Colt semi-auto receivers to the side after discovering cracks along the left side of the magazine well. This is a first for us and we haven't seen this on any other receiver. I don't know what would cause these cracks but one is being ran in 9mm and the other is being ran with 5.56/.223 ammunition.

V/R
Ron

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 10:37:45 AM EDT
[#20]
My staff set these two Colt semi-auto receivers to the side after discovering cracks along the left side of the magazine well. This is a first for us and we haven't seen this on any other receiver. I don't know what would cause these cracks but one is being ran in 9mm and the other is being ran with 5.56/.223 ammunition.

V/R
View Quote
Do you know the round count of each?
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 10:51:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#22]

V/R
Ron

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125089/Cracked_Colt_2_jpg-1141339.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125089/Cracked_Colt_3_jpg-1141340.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125089/Cracked_Colt_1_jpg-1141338.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125089/Cracked_Colt_4_jpg-1141341.JPG
View Quote
Interesting.   That's right where the mag well gets thinnest.  It's also Right thru the stamped logo, and in particular, through where the stamping of the logo has the most amount of metal deformation closest to the top, see how it goes through the horse head each time?
Interesting.

I can only guess the force is from the bolt slam energy being transferred through the front pin, and that's the weakest spot.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 10:52:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

Right thru the stamped logo, and in particular, through where the stamping of the logo has the most amount of metal deformation closest to the top, see how it goes through the horse head each time?
Interesting.

I can only guess the force is from the bolt slam energy being transferred through the front pin, and that's the weakest spot.
View Quote
Id guess the same.  Wouldn't be surprised if the front takedown pin holes were elongated as well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 10:54:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Right thru the stamped logo, and in particular, through where the stamping of the logo has the most amount of metal deformation closest to the top, see how it goes through the horse head each time?
Interesting.

View Quote
Not that I'm an expert, but given that is is a rare occurrence I'm thinking improper metallurgy that made the part brittle or something?
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 10:59:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Can they be welded?
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:

Id guess the same.  Wouldn't be surprised if the front takedown pin holes were elongated as well.
View Quote
The force would be even distributed between the front and rear pins

I guess something happened while field tripping the gun..
Sounds weird a semiauto lower would break that way while a FA one won’t..
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Wowzas, well, I guess we can stop with the whole 'gotta have the cool rollmark!' non-sense.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 12:12:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#30]
Looks like it is at the offset in the magwell. Weakest spot and the block looks to have an edge/offset that could hit it if it banged back and forth. Same side as the ejector maybe the block banging back and forth on cycle. I would guess both were used at some point with a 9mm block in them.
May be partly why Colt pinned the block. 9MM must be pretty rough on cycling from all the ramping, heavy buffers, and reports of pin hole wear that people have mentioned over the years.

May be something as simple as a broach weakened it when the magwell was done and it was doomed to fail at some point.

Could be from too many right handed people shooting it. Pushing against the forearm to the right putting the weakest spot under tension and cracking it. The other side would be under compression so no crack. . Maybe mark a new one for lefties only and see if it cracks on the other side.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Frens:

View Quote
Negative. This started out as a semi-auto receiver but was converted to a post sample machinegun. Pins move freely and no need to hammer them out.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 2:33:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By MRW:
my guess it's from violently shotguning the upper half and having the upper receiver bang or bear down on the front of the magwell.

https://modernfirearms.net/userfiles/images/shotgun/usa/1419158641.jpg
View Quote
Pretty good theory for sure.

Definitely in for the round count on these bad boys.

I'm guessing it trumps anything the military has out. Even the random old pic of a hydromatic lower still in service probably doesn't have the round count of these.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 5:29:41 PM EDT
[#34]

Negative. This started out as a semi-auto receiver but was converted to a post sample machinegun. Pins move freely and no need to hammer them out.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Do you happen to know what the round counts are on those lowers that made them crack?
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Frens:

View Quote
That would only happen if both holes in the lower were exactly the same size and the pins were as well....which is basically impossible.

If the rear pin is at the low end of the tolerance and the front pin is at the high end of the tolerance the front will pin will take the majority of the force. Until the time that the front tolerance opens up due to wear. Reverse this scenario and the opposite would be true.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Meh. If a person can afford the amount of rounds it took to crack the lower... You can easily afford to replace the lower.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:51:20 AM EDT
[#37]
First thing I also noticed were the cracks were almost exactly in the same spot, and almost shaped the same. That lead me to immediately think bad batch of receivers. (Also already noted by someone) So my question is how close are the serial numbers of the lowers?
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Duh. I just relooked at pics and the serial numbers are clearly visible. They ARE pretty close.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 11:46:53 AM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes
Here ya go.  
Arfcom doubled the amount of posts per page after this thread came out, so AK abuse updates should be around Page 5.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ak-47/AK-abuse-update-on-Page-11-/64-159106/
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 10:14:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By ICU:
Meh. If a person can afford the amount of rounds it took to crack the lower... You can easily afford to replace the lower.
View Quote
That's not really what this thread is about.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 1:08:35 PM EDT
[#41]
......and one more now that it has been disassembled.

V/R
Ron

https://i.imgur.com/xELN3ad.jpg
View All Quotes
......and one more now that it has been disassembled.

V/R
Ron

https://i.imgur.com/xELN3ad.jpg
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:

Here's one that Ron posted earlier in this thread:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/b8HC0BN-924686.jpg

IIRC, the upper receiver was not Colt.

Eta: Upper receiver was Charles Daly.
Henderson, do you guys use any monolithic uppers on your AR's?

It seems like another vulnerable spot that breaks over time is the barrel connected to the upper receiver.  I would guess this is why LMT and Colt went with their monolithic uppers on their newer versions.

Also, Henderson, what is the average round count for a single day on the AR's and AKs?  500 rounds?  1000 rounds?
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 1:26:39 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote
When they bought the lower, Im sure they new it wouldnt last forever. Lowers are susceptible to wear like any other part of the system. Its neat to see the round counts but isnt realistic to anybody on this board(If anybody has 100k rounds down a personlly owned lower, than I apologze). When parts break or wear you replace them... Seems thoes lowers have reached the end of their life. If he wasnt making money off of them, we wouldnt be having this conversation.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 3:29:05 PM EDT
[#43]
When they bought the lower, Im sure they new it wouldnt last forever. Lowers are susceptible to wear like any other part of the system. Its neat to see the round counts but isnt realistic to anybody on this board(If anybody has 100k rounds down a personlly owned lower, than I apologze). When parts break or wear you replace them... Seems thoes lowers have reached the end of their life. If he wasnt making money off of them, we wouldnt be having this conversation.
View All Quotes

Also a little food for thought vis-a-vis registered lower vs RDIAS. Since the pin and trip can be replaced, I'd think the steel RDIASs could last practically forever.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 5:08:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Ron, I again ask whether or not you have experimented with Cryo-Treated parts.  I have no connection whatsoever with any Cryo-treating providers, although I have had some barrels cryo-treated, to good effect.

The reduced stringing of thin barrels after cryo-treating might not be of much interest to you, in your business environment, but cryo-treating other parts that are prone to failure might be of use to you, financially.  In any event, cryo-treating some problematic parts, and then reporting on how such parts fared compared to non-cryo-treated parts might be of very broad interest.

I have been a customer of firms offering cryo-treating, and am a firm believer on its' benefits in reducing heat stringing on very thin barrels.  I'm no expert on this subject, except for what I've personally experienced--and all to the good.  Whether or not cryo-treating fits into your business plan remains to be seen.

May I suggest that you investigate cryo-treating of selected parts, do a test, and report back?

Disclaimer: No financial interest.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 8:49:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By raf:

Ron, I again ask whether or not you have experimented with Cryo-Treated parts.  I have no connection whatsoever with any Cryo-treating providers, although I have had some barrels cryo-treated, to good effect.

The reduced stringing of thin barrels after cryo-treating might not be of much interest to you, in your business environment, but cryo-treating other parts that are prone to failure might be of use to you, financially.  In any event, cryo-treating some problematic parts, and then reporting on how such parts fared compared to non-cryo-treated parts might be of very broad interest.

I have been a customer of firms offering cryo-treating, and am a firm believer on its' benefits in reducing heat stringing on very thin barrels.  I'm no expert on this subject, except for what I've personally experienced--and all to the good.  Whether or not cryo-treating fits into your business plan remains to be seen.

May I suggest that you investigate cryo-treating of selected parts, do a test, and report back?

What parts in particular would you recommend for the cryo-treating?

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 8:54:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By HKPOF:

Henderson, do you guys use any monolithic uppers on your AR's?

It seems like another vulnerable spot that breaks over time is the barrel connected to the upper receiver.  I would guess this is why LMT and Colt went with their monolithic uppers on their newer versions.

Also, Henderson, what is the average round count for a single day on the AR's and AKs?  500 rounds?  1000 rounds?  
View Quote
We aren't using any monolithic uppers at this point but we've lost plenty of rails at the point where they attach/bolt to the upper receiver.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 10:06:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#47]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By raf:

What parts in particular would you recommend for the cryo-treating?

V/R
Ron
I am no expert on the types of parts that could best benefit from cryo-treating.  My personal experience has been with barrels, and that might not be of use to your business plan.  Or possibly so, since the claims are that such cryo-treated barrels last longer, and are easier to clean in the meantime.  The barrels I have had cryo-treated certainly demonstrated far less heat-induced stringing of shots compared to the identical, un-treated barrels.

Primarily, I was thinking of parts that frequently broke under use, and whose cost per item/ number of items used might make the possible benefits of cryo-treating such parts economically viable.  Naturally, such parts will vary with the firearm.   For example, an expensive part that was prone to failure would be an obvious candidate.  OTOH, inexpensive parts, consumed by the dozens, might also make sense.

I have pointedly not suggested any particular cryo-treatment provider, lest I be caled a shill for same.  A simple search for "cryo-treatment" providers will give you some hits that you might find interesting, and whom you can contact.  A discussion with them will give you a better idea on which, if any, parts might benefit from cryo-treatment.  At least some of the cryo-treatment providers are FFLs, and are familiar with the procedures for handling such items.

I realize you have lots to do, and little time to spare.  This is just a suggestion for experimentation and hopefully it might be of some use to your business.

Submitted for consideration.

ETA:  FWIW, I am sending off 3 barrels for cryo-treating in a few days.  So, I am paying with my own money for a service I believe has value to me.  Whether or not such a service makes sense for your business is up to you to investigate.  I hope this post will be of value to you and your business, at least in some small way.  Best of luck to you in any event.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Henderson,

This question is about lubrication.  You stated previously how your company uses Slip2000, Mil-Comm and Lucas.  Do you and your armorers recommend grease or oil and have you guys noticed a difference in grease vs oil in its longevity and protection?  Which is superior at reducing wear and can go longer between re-lubing?

Also, has your company ever tried Lubriplate grease?  It's extremely cheap to buy in bulk, aluminum based grease for the food industry that's non-toxic but also works great on guns according to Grant Cunningham.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 3:04:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Any Sig MCXes on the line? (I guess they’re sort of AR-like and fit in this thread, the upper works on an AR lower)
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 12:35:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By JK-919:
Any Sig MCXes on the line? (I guess they’re sort of AR-like and fit in this thread, the upper works on an AR lower)
View Quote
I asked the staff about the Sig MCX and they said it has had zero issues since we put in the line. It doesn’t get nearly the abuse as our workhorses but I think it’s coming close to two years now?

V/R
Ron
Page / 42
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top