Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 42
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 8:22:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#1]
IMO it's time for another revenue stream for these guys. Bring on a lackey...errr...intern and have them spend about half their time doing detailed tracking of failures etc. Make the data available to Patreon supporters only. Maybe throw in a few other goodies. I'd subscribe, and based on the interest in this thread, a lot of others would also. This data has real value, and right now it's not being monetized nearly as well as it could be. I'm sure 99% of that is just not having the time...you have a busy operation and there's more important things to do. That's the good thing about an intern / donut-getter. They could run this kind of thing without diverting the attention of your permanent employees. If there was enough interest, maybe this role becomes a full time gig...if there's not enough interest, the program dies and the intern goes back to getting the donuts/coffee. No real risk...seems like wins all around.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 8:29:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Just wanted to add that this thread has been a treasure trove of information and thank you Ron. I remember being a kid around 14 or so (8 years ago) going to Vegas with my family and I begged them to take me to your range. Finally they allowed it and I had one of the best experiences of my life, I shot just about every modern sub gun. Your staff were amazing and let me shoot just about everything .

Thank you and I hope to be in Vegas again after this COVID crap and return to your range for some more fun!!
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 5:16:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jekbrown:
IMO it's time for another revenue stream for these guys. Bring on a lackey...errr...intern and have them spend about half their time doing detailed tracking of failures etc. Make the data available to Patreon supporters only. Maybe throw in a few other goodies. I'd subscribe, and based on the interest in this thread, a lot of others would also. This data has real value, and right now it's not being monetized nearly as well as it could be. I'm sure 99% of that is just not having the time...you have a busy operation and there's more important things to do. That's the good thing about an intern / donut-getter. They could run this kind of thing without diverting the attention of your permanent employees. If there was enough interest, maybe this role becomes a full time gig...if there's not enough interest, the program dies and the intern goes back to getting the donuts/coffee. No real risk...seems like wins all around.
View Quote

Great idea! I’d get on board with this.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#4]
And the coffee's good, too.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:55:25 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

Agreed!
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I just reread all the pages from this thread. Great resource.

Ron, we know you are busy. Any update you can give is great. Business, rifles, your personal opinions. It’s all good.

I know it’s easy to try to find the bad things about COV19, but your time is still valued by me and others. Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 9:51:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't know how I have missed this thread?  I found it yesterday and its been like binge watching a three season show on Netfilx :)

A huge Thank You to Ron for the time commitment he has made here and the invaluable info he is passing on.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Hi Ron, any issues with Swiss or US made SiG 55X receivers cracking?
I’ve been told that they can around 15000 + round mark but If developed it does not affect function or safety but I would be interested to hear if you guys had noticed anything major other than losing a recoil spring do they seem to hold up pretty well?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 2:02:56 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote
I think this is a good Idea!  Henderson Defense (or the Intern) could re-organize the data, and allow Patreon supporters to access it.  This goes just as much for the other threads HD has posted here.

HD has a unique database, and monetizing it would seem to be in their best interest, as well as the rest of us.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By raf:
I think this is a good Idea!  Henderson Defense (or the Intern) could re-organize the data, and allow Patreon supporters to access it.  This goes just as much for the other threads HD has posted here.

HD has a unique database, and monetizing it would seem to be in their best interest, as well as the rest of us.
View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

I'm amazed firearms companies aren't paying them tons of money for access to the info.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Mrgunsngear:

I'm amazed firearms companies aren't paying them tons of money for access to the info.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mrgunsngear:

Perhaps some are, and we just don't know it.  it would certainly be proper for HD to do so.  It's their business, in every sense of the word.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 2:28:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jamesk777] [#14]
I see that Ron said upper receivers were wearing out before barrels do. I'm wondering if theres even a point in buying a high quality barrel like Hodge or Noveske if thats the case? I was planning on doing a build with an Aero upper reciever and a hodge barrel but maybe there's no point to having a barrel that lasts forever if the upper receiver will go bad first?
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 3:51:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: oldbrowndog] [#15]
Originally Posted By jamesk777:
I see that Ron said upper receivers were wearing out before barrels do. I'm wondering if theres even a point in buying a high quality barrel like Hodge or Noveske if thats the case? I was planning on doing a build with an Aero upper reciever and a hodge barrel but maybe there's no point to having a barrel that lasts forever if the upper receiver will go bad first?
View Quote

Remember, the accuracy standard at BF Vegas is hitting a 3ft by 4 ft sheet of paper at 25 yards. Keyholing doesn't matter. If that's if the accuracy standard you're willing to accept, then sure, you'll definitely wear out uppers before barrels.

Or you could be like the benchrest shooters, who go through a barrel every season or more on their competition guns. Their accuracy standard is MOA or less at 600 yards.

All depends on what you need the gun to do. @jamesk777
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:
Remember, my only concern for accuracy is that it can hit the red center of a target at 15 yards.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 12:46:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By oldbrowndog:

Remember, the accuracy standard at BF Vegas is hitting a 3ft by 4 ft sheet of paper at 25 yards. Keyholing doesn't matter. If that's if the accuracy standard you're willing to accept, then sure, you'll definitely wear out uppers before barrels.

Or you could be like the benchrest shooters, who go through a barrel every season or more on their competition guns. Their accuracy standard is MOA or less at 600 yards.

View Quote

Thank you for the info!
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 2:19:15 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@oldbrowndog

What do you think the lifespan of an upper is, independent of the barrel? I just bought back my old patrol rifle, a Colt 6920. No idea how many rounds total, but I know it's an older gun as it's the large pin lower. I'm planning to rebarrel it but am curious roughly how many rounds an upper will be good for? I've put a decent amount of rounds through my ARs, but certainly not enough to really push an upper or barrel to the breaking point on any one build.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 9:33:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: oldbrowndog] [#19]
@AZgunner

See below
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#20]
In the OP here:

Some of our M4's have well over 200,000 rounds down range. Barrels have been replaced, gas tubes have been replaced, BCG's have been replaced but what sets it apart from the AK47's is that upper and lower receivers continue to function
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Why not just install that new barrel in a new upper?
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

BFV has gotten 200k rounds through some of their AR-15 receivers so I wouldn't worry about that priemum barrel not working out. Also, the USAF has been rebarreling their uppers since the Vietnam war. Before I retired from the guard in 2013 I saw numerous A1 uppers sporting 1\7 twist barrels. My arms room had Vietnam era GM Hydromatic A1 lowers overstamped to A2. AR receivers last a long long time.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Sgt_Gold:

BFV has gotten 200k rounds through some of their AR-15 receivers so I wouldn't worry about that priemum barrel not working out. Also, the USAF has been rebarreling their uppers since the Vietnam war. Before I retired from the guard in 2013 I saw numerous A1 uppers sporting 1\7 twist barrels. My arms room had Vietnam era GM Hydromatic A1 lowers overstamped to A2. AR receivers last a long long time.
View Quote

That is great to hear. Thank you for the information gentleman
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Here are the bolts we went through over the last twelve months. One thing you have to consider is that we were closed for three and half months because of COVID and since we did re-open, the amount of customers has only been about 40%-50% of the same time last year.

BTW..I'll update the AK thread with pics of broken SVD/Dragunov bolts and the HK thread to show were MP5-SD barrels ALWAYS fail.

V/R
Ron

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow!
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 3:27:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Here are the bolts we went through over the last twelve months. One thing you have to consider is that we were closed for three and half months because of COVID and since we did re-open, the amount of customers has only been about 40%-50% of the same time last year.

BTW..I'll update the AK thread with pics of broken SVD/Dragunov bolts and the HK thread to show were MP5-SD barrels ALWAYS fail.

V/R
Ron

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125089/dead_bolts_jpg-1735617.JPG
View Quote

Thanks Ron.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#27]

V/R
Ron

View Quote

That's a lot of broken locking lugs and a few broken cam pin holes in there.
Be interesting to see if there's an enhanced bolt that has a longer service life over a standard bolt...
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 12:51:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By AllAlphas:

That's a lot of broken locking lugs and a few broken cam pin holes in there.
Be interesting to see if there's an enhanced bolt that has a longer service life over a standard bolt...
View Quote

I'm curious how an enhanced bolt from an SR-15 or LMT would hold up also.  I've never herd of KAC bolts breaking but I don't know how many people have 50k rounds through one.....
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 1:05:31 AM EDT
[#29]
i Need to come to vegas!
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 3:25:43 AM EDT
[#30]

V/R
Ron

View Quote

Damn dude. You got any that don't break?

My wife and I been out to see you guys a couple of times. She shot her first machine gun there. We will be back one day.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 7:37:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Anybody ID this bolt?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 8:01:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: amphibian] [#32]
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 8:09:38 AM EDT
[#33]

It doesn't look heavily used.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 8:21:21 AM EDT
[#34]

I thought maybe but wasn't sure. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#35]

V/R
Ron

View Quote

@HendersonDefense
How are Steyr AUG bolts doing?
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Ron,

a few people asked about the LMT Enhanced Bolt earlier in the thread and I guess you never got around to answering them. Have you used one of these yet? I'm talking the whole BCG OR just the Enhanced bolt itself. I was gonna buy one, but only if its worth it. This is by far my favorite thread on this website, as i've referenced it countless times in my builds. You sir are awesome, and on behalf of ARFCOM, THANK YOU SIR.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Ron,

a few people asked about the LMT Enhanced Bolt earlier in the thread and I guess you never got around to answering them. Have you used one of these yet? I'm talking the whole BCG OR just the Enhanced bolt itself. I was gonna buy one, but only if its worth it. This is by far my favorite thread on this website, as i've referenced it countless times in my builds. You sir are awesome, and on behalf of ARFCOM, THANK YOU SIR.
View Quote

I'll also pile on and ask about these.  The theory seems sound, but I'd really like to know if they REALLY offer benefits that make the cost worth it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 8:44:54 PM EDT
[#38]

V/R
Ron

View Quote

I'll take that scrap off of your hands. I've got...things...I make out of old bolts.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:33:11 PM EDT
[#39]
All the broken lugs I can see are next to the extractor. What happened to the carrier?
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By mcantu:

@HendersonDefense
How are Steyr AUG bolts doing?
View Quote

I think we've only lost 2-3 AUG bolts over the last eight years. It's hard to compare them next to AR15/M4 bolt because of the disparity in usage. The one thing that does NOT last on our AUG's are the factory translucent magazines. We've gone through hundreds of them and finally told the staff to swap out for Magpul's. The staff know I am weird about certain things and the fact that the AUG mag is very iconic for movie fans and gamers, I've always insisted on factory 30-rounders or the 42-rounders. After years of tossing them, I finally broke down and told the staff to switch over to Magpul units.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Ron,

View Quote

I can tell you that we've tried every bolt option out there. I can't say how much longer a certain brand did or didn't last but this is how they all ended up. As for the Sharp's bolt in the pile, I couldn't tell you if that was one that had a recall or not. We've tried everything out there and by the shear volume of use, this is what I am left with when it comes to AR bolts, regardless of manufacture.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 9:11:53 PM EDT
[#42]

I can tell you that we've tried every bolt option out there. I can't say how much longer a certain brand did or didn't last but this is how they all ended up. As for the Sharp's bolt in the pile, I couldn't tell you if that was one that had a recall or not. We've tried everything out there and by the shear volume of use, this is what I am left with when it comes to AR bolts, regardless of manufacture.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

@HendersonDefense

Ron, maybe I missed it, but you didn't really draw a conclusion other than eventually they all break. SO, if you had to go out and spend $2,000 on bolts to keep you in operation for two years and you couldn't buy any replacements until the start of year three, would you grab any new bolt you could get your hand on, colt bolts, a stack of PSA premium bolts, a stack of sharps bolts, the LMT enhanced bolts or whatever...

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:50:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AllAlphas] [#43]

I think we've only lost 2-3 AUG bolts over the last eight years. It's hard to compare them next to AR15/M4 bolt because of the disparity in usage. The one thing that does NOT last on our AUG's are the factory translucent magazines. We've gone through hundreds of them and finally told the staff to swap out for Magpul's. The staff know I am weird about certain things and the fact that the AUG mag is very iconic for movie fans and gamers, I've always insisted on factory 30-rounders or the 42-rounders. After years of tossing them, I finally broke down and told the staff to switch over to Magpul units.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

@HendersonDefense
For those of us with original Steyr AUG mags...where are they failing typically?  Cracking feedlips, worn out springs, busted followers?  Be nice to have an idea of what to look out for...
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 1:34:17 AM EDT
[#44]

@HendersonDefense
For those of us with original Steyr AUG mags...where are they failing typically?  Cracking feedlips, worn out springs, busted followers?  Be nice to have an idea of what to look out for...
Thanks!
View Quote

Mine would fail to hold their shape around the "mouth" or feed lips.  This was first evident if you accidentally dropped a full mag (even if brand new), the mouth of the mag would deform enough that the entire 42 rounds would spew out all over the ground.  Eventually, it would start to not keep a fully loaded mag.  Eventually it wouldn't hold more than a few rounds.  I've always said that if Steyr fixed their magazines that the bullpup would become much more popular.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 2:23:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Could always get an AUG with the NATO stock so it takes AR mags.

Any Sig Virtus guns on the line?
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 3:56:22 PM EDT
[#47]

@HendersonDefense
Thanks!
View Quote

They ALL crack at the rear of the feed lips which causes rounds to pop out when slamming the magazine into the weapon. You usually can't see it until the round pops right out of the chamber after being inserted.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 5:05:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FONTY] [#48]
Originally Posted By bgolf92:

I'm curious how an enhanced bolt from an SR-15 or LMT would hold up also.  I've never herd of KAC bolts breaking but I don't know how many people have 50k rounds through one.....
View Quote

I also would like to see some pic’s of a broken lmt enhanced bolt. I don’t see any in that tube of broken bolts.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 6:54:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: amphibian] [#49]

V/R
Ron
View Quote
What about using the LMT enhanced carrier or the Surefire OBC?  Both carriers use a modified cam pin path to keep the bolt closed longer to prevent breakage of the bolt.   Should also prevent cam pin breakage.  I don't know what the cam pin geometry is like comparing the LMT to the Surefire....but the Surefire was designed by Jim Sullivan himself.

Also, what 223/556 ammo are you using these days?  I recall you posting about liking to use Wolf Gold but I believe that has dried up these days.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 6:55:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By FONTY:

I also would like to see some pic's of a broken lmt enhanced bolt. I don't see any in that tube of broken bolts. I've only seen 1 pic of a broken kac e3 bolt (below) but never a broken lmt e-bolt.
View Quote
I run the LMT enhanced bolts for 7.62x39 and haven't broken one either.  Many thousands of rounds in 7.5" full auto's.  I have broken an extractor though.
Page / 42
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top