BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 7:02:10 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They're currently going after trusts. Now they're trying to go after pistol ARs?

Was only a matter of time.

View Quote
Where does it say anything about AR or AK pistols?

Link Posted: 9/27/2013 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

What do you mean?  Lots of people know lots of stuff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Am I an idiot, or does no one know anything?

Particularly Pertaining to the matter of these changes. It seems like a moot change.  I mean cutting the stock down on a gun built as a rifle is already illegal isnt it? thats why you need a virgin receiver to make a pistol griped shotgun or rifle. Once upon a time you could put a stock and legal length barrel onto  pistol, but then it was a rifle and couldnt be converted back legally.

It is good old fashioned mind fuckery in any event.

Link Posted: 9/27/2013 7:03:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not a negative necessarily, but it moves more guns to be under control of the NFA, which isn't good for us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dumb it down.

Negative or positive step?

Not a negative necessarily, but it moves more guns to be under control of the NFA, which isn't good for us.

How is having to register an AR pistol with the ATF "Not a negative necessarily"?

Sounds like a big fucking negative to me considering this is my next build...
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How is having to register an AR pistol with the ATF "Not a negative necessarily"?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dumb it down.

NO ONE AT THE ATF HAS SAID ANYTHING ABOUT AK OR AR PISTOLS

Link Posted: 9/27/2013 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dumb it down.

Did you not read the proposed law?  They don't have to specify "AR" or "AK"

ETA: added for clarification

Omitted from the proposed regulation is the language: ‘‘any gun altered or converted to resemble a pistol.’’ This language mirrors the statutory provisions in 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(2) and (4) that refer to weapons made from a shotgun or rifle. The NFA adequately reflects the Department’s consistent position that a rifle or shotgun, altered to function as a smaller, pistol-like weapon, maintains its classification as a rifle or shotgun and will not be classified as a pistol. Therefore, the addition of this language into the proposed regulation is unnecessary. (Nolo's note: for now. The ATF appears to say this won't make an AR pistol an NFA firearm, but we all know this will probably be an incremental step)
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2005-04-07/pdf/05-6932.pdf#page=1

This is a 2005 proposed rule.  Never implemented. It's being revived......

SUMMARY: The Department of Justice is

proposing to amend the regulations relating to machine guns, destructive devices, and certain other firearms regulated under the National Firearms Act (NFA) for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) to clarify the definition of the term ‘‘pistol’’ and to define more clearly exceptions to the ‘‘pistol’’ definition. The added language is necessary to clarify that certain weapons, including any weapon disguised to look like an item other than a firearm or any gun that fires more than one shot without manual reloading by a single function of the trigger, are not pistols and are classified as ‘‘any other weapon’’ under the NFA.

Omitted from the proposed regulation is the language: ‘‘any gun altered or converted to resemble a pistol.’’ This language mirrors the statutory provisions in 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(2) and (4) that refer to weapons made from a shotgun or rifle. The NFA adequately reflects the Department’s consistent position that a rifle or shotgun, altered to function as a smaller, pistol-like weapon, maintains its classification as a rifle or shotgun and will not be classified as a pistol. Therefore, the addition of this language into the proposed regulation is unnecessary.  (Nolo's note: for now. The ATF appears to say this won't make an AR pistol an NFA firearm, but we all know this will probably be an incremental step)
http://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaViewRule?pubId=201304&RIN=1140-AA23
View Quote
I KNOW THAT IS WAS NOT YOUR INTENTION BUT THE SHEEP HAVE PANICKED

Link Posted: 9/27/2013 7:09:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Bunch of malicious assholes.
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 7:10:54 PM EDT
[#8]
The intent is to regulate "disguised" firearms and reclassify them under the NFA.
From the PDF:

Accordingly, the proposed definition
of ‘‘pistol’’ in section 479.11 would read
as follows:
(a) A weapon originally designed, made,
and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from
one or more barrels when held in one hand,
and having—
(1) A chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of,
or permanently aligned with, the bore(s); and
(2) A short fixed stock designed to be
gripped by one hand and at an angle to and
extending below the line of the bore(s).
(b) The term shall not include any weapon
disguised to look like an item other than a
firearm, such as a pengun, wallet gun, belt
buckle gun, pager gun or gadget device, or
any gun that fires more than one shot,
without manual reloading, by a single
function of the trigger.
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

proposing to amend the regulations relating to machine guns, destructive devices, and certain other firearms regulated under the National Firearms Act (NFA) for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) to clarify the definition of the term ‘‘pistol’’ and to define more clearly exceptions to the ‘‘pistol’’ definition. The added language is necessary to clarify that certain weapons, including any weapon disguised to look like an item other than a firearm or any gun that fires more than one shot without manual reloading by a single function of the trigger, are not pistols and are classified as ‘‘any other weapon’’ under the NFA.

Omitted from the proposed regulation is the language: ‘‘any gun altered or converted to resemble a pistol.’’ This language mirrors the statutory provisions in 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(2) and (4) that refer to weapons made from a shotgun or rifle. The NFA adequately reflects the Department’s consistent position that a rifle or shotgun, altered to function as a smaller, pistol-like weapon, maintains its classification as a rifle or shotgun and will not be classified as a pistol. Therefore, the addition of this language into the proposed regulation is unnecessary.  (Nolo's note: for now. The ATF appears to say this won't make an AR pistol an NFA firearm, but we all know this will probably be an incremental step)

We are hardly "sheep" for being concerned about yet another infringement of our 2A rights.  It is not exactly shocking to hear this may be a possibility.
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 7:11:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Omitted from the proposed regulation is the language: ‘‘any gun altered or converted to resemble a pistol.’’ This language mirrors the statutory provisions in 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(2) and (4) that refer to weapons made from a shotgun or rifle. The NFA adequately reflects the Department’s consistent position that a rifle or shotgun, altered to function as a smaller, pistol-like weapon, maintains its classification as a rifle or shotgun and will not be classified as a pistol. Therefore, the addition of this language into the proposed regulation is unnecessary. (Nolo's note: for now. The ATF appears to say this won't make an AR pistol an NFA firearm, but we all know this will probably be an incremental step)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dumb it down.

And how do you think that effects AR Pistols?

I build them from a virgin receiver they are not converted or altered, they start life as a pistol, this is from 2005 and has not changed one bit.

Under the Federal law there is no difference between a semi auto 1911 and an AR Pistol we make.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2013 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only thing I want to hear from the ATF is that they are closing shop.

Fuck the ATF.

Link Posted: 9/27/2013 7:14:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The intent is to regulate "disguised" firearms and reclassify them under the NFA.
From the PDF:

as follows:
and having—
function of the trigger.
View Quote

I had a stroke while reading that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
We are hardly "sheep" for being concerned about yet another infringement of our 2A rights.  It is not exactly shocking to hear this may be a possibility.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Listen 13er, I make firearms for a living I keep up on all laws and I am in touch with ATF legal and tech branch at least once a week, there is no infringement I can see or any changes of the law that states what a pistol is or is not.

You want to panic and scream the sky is falling go ahead, that makes you sheeple.

Link Posted: 9/27/2013 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Fuck the ATF.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2013 7:16:55 PM EDT
[#15]
that hurt my public school head, I still want to know why a SBRs and Suppressors are NFA items. Bunch of Bull
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
that hurt my public school head, I still want to know why a SBRs and Suppressors are NFA items. Bunch of Bull
View Quote

Because, citizen. Because.
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Am I an idiot, or does no one know anything?

however it seems the ATF has no clue.

not to mention, they have larger fish to fry, why worry about this stuff
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Remember that they are trying to change the rules on trusts and corps.  The back door is being used.  When the changes are done with trusts, corps, and pistols/"short" shotguns.  They will then try to get semi autos into nfa like Feinstein did with AWB.  Those that don't bother with NFA need to per say and contact their reps and speak up in the ATF commenting periods.
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 7:27:03 PM EDT
[#19]
With the exception of a rubber stamping approvals office the ATF needs to be defunded and shut down just like Obamacare.
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Remember that they are trying to change the rules on trusts and corps.  The back door is being used.  When the changes are done with trusts, corps, and pistols/"short" shotguns.  They will then try to get semi autos into nfa like Feinstein did with AWB.  Those that don't bother with NFA need to per say and contact their reps and speak up in the ATF commenting periods.
View Quote
Not that they wouldn't try but read the GCA of 1968

Link Posted: 9/27/2013 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Tag
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#22]

FATF
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#23]
This is apparently the result of a long-lingering butthurt suffered at the hands of Thompson-Center.   That 'conversion' (ruling in TC's favor) took the 'no handgun from rifle' rule and divided it by zero.

And I'm not talking about 'Ber-ACK' when I say zero.
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 8:44:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Dumb it down.

View Quote

I guess your gun cane is no longer a pistol or something
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 8:50:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Dumb it down.

View Quote

This is NOT a pistol.

Link Posted: 9/27/2013 8:50:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I'm still trying to figure out exactly what this rule does.  My thoughts are that they want to make ar/ak pistols NFA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dumb it down.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what this rule does.  My thoughts are that they want to make ar/ak pistols NFA.

How can the ATF change federal law?
Quoted:

Start llc, get sot class 1, sell .001% shares of llc to friends that want to get cool class 3 stuff without a wait.
What could go wrong?

You would be importing for some reason. You might look at a C3 SOT instead.
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dumb it down.

This is NOT a pistol.
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/5809/p1010036thumb8ps.jpg

According to federal law it is.

Link Posted: 9/27/2013 8:54:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I make firearms for a living I keep up on all laws and I am in touch with ATF legal and tech branch at least once a week....
View Quote

So what's the whisperings on 41P?
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#29]
This is what happens when you have to ask the government for permission to do something.
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Dumb it down.

View Quote

What's happening to the CLEO sign off?

Link Posted: 9/27/2013 9:06:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
From the PDF:

as follows:
and having—

function of the trigger.
View Quote

So... what if we designed a pistol upside down.  Say it had a very small rod on the top for sights, along with the trigger, yet the mag was loaded upside down and the brass was ejected out the bottom?
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dumb it down.

This is NOT a pistol.

I took it to mean they are trying to stop stuff like this:

Link Posted: 9/27/2013 9:15:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dumb it down.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1536761_The_next_gun_grab__ATF_41P_targets_NFA_Trusts__moved_from_NRA_Activism_.html
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1523702_NFA_Trust_rule_change.html&page=1
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dumb it down.

This is NOT a pistol.

Yeah it is!
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
From the PDF:

as follows:
and having—
firearm, such as a pengun
, wallet gun, belt
function of the trigger.
View Quote

way to fucking go Aimless!
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 9:57:44 PM EDT
[#36]
I fucking hate those assholes.

this seems to be intended to move pistol AR's  into NFA

i hate them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 10:27:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Guess I'll slap a pistol buffer tube on my stripped lower... In hopes of grandfathering

Fuckin A!!! I finally have a job where I can afford to save a lil bit here and there for NFA items... Sheriff won't sign off on Forms, "oh well, screw him, I have a trust..."

I just can't win!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 11:01:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yeah it is!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dumb it down.

This is NOT a pistol.

Yeah it is!

According to these new regulations it may not be any more.
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 11:14:12 PM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dumb it down.

This is NOT a pistol.

Link Posted: 9/27/2013 11:18:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dumb it down.

This is NOT a pistol.

Yeah it is!

That is not a rifle.

Link Posted: 9/27/2013 11:32:55 PM EDT
[#41]
I hope they all get a terminal case crotch rot.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 12:38:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Guess I'll slap a pistol buffer tube on my stripped lower... In hopes of grandfathering

Fuckin A!!! I finally have a job where I can afford to save a lil bit here and there for NFA items... Sheriff won't sign off on Forms, "oh well, screw him, I have a trust..."

I just can't win!!!
View Quote

Thats when you have a boating accident and "lose" all those NFA items.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 12:42:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dumb it down.

Scorpion Types

Link Posted: 9/28/2013 4:44:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Fuck the ATF.
View Quote

I like the way you think.  

ETA: I don't speak "legaleze", but anytime ATF does anything, it's for a reason - and ATF, by their very existence, deny US citizens their 2A Rights in some way, shape or form.

That's their mission.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 4:58:48 AM EDT
[#45]
The big question here is, is this an effort to put ALL semi autos under NFA, or is just to add language to clarify why you can use only a virgin reciever?
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 5:02:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

He does have a Good point.  
By trying to block availability or access to NFA items, if semi autos can be thrown into that mix at a later point in time,  they can have their cutoff AND registry.  

If you havent already, notify your reps of this bullshit and get it stopped before the butthurt flows.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 5:04:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yeah it is!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dumb it down.

This is NOT a pistol.

Yeah it is!

If it was built from a non virgin receiver it isnt!
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 5:31:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The big question here is, is this an effort to put ALL semi autos under NFA, or is just to add language to clarify why you can use only a virgin reciever?
View Quote

It is a SLOW effortto get all semis under nfa.  Pistol stuff first.  Trust/Corp change first.  Then attempt AWB NFA feinstein style.  It is as plain as day if anyone has been paying attention to this year's bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 5:34:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a 2005 proposed rule. Never implemented. It's being revived......

View Quote
View Quote

We are hardly "sheep" for being concerned about yet another infringement of our 2A rights. It is not exactly shocking to hear this may be a possibility.
View Quote

"Listen 13er, I make firearms for a living I keep up on all laws and I am in touch with ATF legal and tech branch at least once a week, there is no infringement I can see or any changes of the law that states what a pistol is or is not.
You want to panic and scream the sky is falling go ahead, that makes you sheeple."

Really dude?

Since I know how long you held your FFL and many other things.  It's pretty ballsy statement for you to chastise anyone.....Thinking ATF Chief Counsel's Office and FTB are your friend, and you calling others sheeple???  

I'd venture to say I have had more interaction with those groups than 99% of this entire forum.    I have no information on what will happen or what they are attempting, but the track record is not a good indicator.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 5:36:48 AM EDT
[#50]
On the surface it just looks like they are clarifying "Once a rifle, always a rifle", but on the other hand I can see them saying once you convert a pistol into a rifle, you can no longer turn it back into a pistol.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top