Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 8/22/2013 1:21:41 PM EDT

Hope this isn't a dup but I couldn't find anything on it yet.        

"The Obama administration is working to close a loophole in the nation’s gun laws that allows for some machine guns and sawed-off shotguns to be sold without the buyer submitting fingerprints or photographs."

Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

NFA Trusts

"The Obama administration is working to close a loophole in the nation’s gun laws that allows for some machine guns and sawed-off shotguns to be sold without the buyer submitting fingerprints or photographs."

View Quote

fucking great. I JUST spent $400 on a trust.

Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:24:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#3]

FBHO
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:26:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Loophole = Freedom.

Everyone was completely aware of how the process would work when the rules were originally drafted.

Oh well, at least all these gangbangers won't be able to go out and make a Quicken trust so they can pay $15000 for a machine gun legally anymore.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds fine and dandy till the Chief of Police decides he doesn't want to sign of on it, then what ? Sounds like an excuse to prevent anymore forms submitted to be approved.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#7]
NFATCA and Gemtech posted that on facebook earlier.

FUCK THAT SHIT
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#8]
FBHO sideways
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Honestly I'm surprised the trust "loophole" wasn't closed years ago.  It's not like Uncle Sam to leave a barn door like that open for so long.  

I don't have a dog in this race; state doesn't allow NFA.  Nor does my checking account.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:28:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds fine and dandy till the Chief of Police decides he doesn't want to sign of on it, then what ? Sounds like an excuse to prevent anymore forms submitted to be approved.
View Quote

I haven't read anything on it recently, but part of the whole rule review thing was supposed to be the elimination of the CLEO signoff. Don't know if that's a part of what's being referenced in the article.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:29:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

FBHO
View Quote

And Eric Holder.....
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:29:56 PM EDT
[#12]
FUCK my local sheriff is a dick

ETA:I have read it again thanks to SandWMandP15Tee
I was retarded on not reading the whole thing
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#13]

However, an online notice
said that it will require "responsible persons” designated by the legal
trusts to submit forms, photographs and fingerprints to the ATF and
forwarded to the local chief police officer. The rule will also define
the term "responsible person.”

The new rule will only apply to sale of machine guns, silencers and
similar firearms for which the AFT has special restrictions.  

According to reports, the number of applications to transfer restricted
guns to trusts has skyrocketed in the recent years, to more than 39,000
last year.

The REAL reason why they want to implement this new legislature.

Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:32:03 PM EDT
[#14]
FBHO cunt dick brain asshole bastard fucking commie.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:32:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Time to go get another can.... BRB..... In a year.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Is there actual legislation on this horseshit? Or is he just going to will this "loophole" away? We need to contact lawmakers and tell them NO.

I know this is preaching to the choir, but what criminal is going to make a trust, pay 15000 for a MG, then wait 8 months for the stamp. Yeah, it's for the children, pick up that can.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

DOJ/ATF

RIN: 1140-AA43

Publication ID: 2012

Title: Background Checks for Principal Officers of
Corporations, Trusts, and Other Legal Entities With Respect to the
Making or Transferring of a National Firearms Act Firearm

Abstract: The Department of Justice is proposing to
amend the regulations of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and
Explosives (ATF) regarding the making or transferring of a firearm under
the National Firearms Act.  The proposed regulations would (1) add a
definition for the term "responsible person"; (2)  require each
responsible person of a corporation, trust or legal entity to complete a
specified form, and to submit photographs and fingerprints; (3) require
that a copy of all applications to make or transfer a firearm be
forwarded to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) of the locality in
which the maker or transferee is located; and (4) eliminate the
requirement for a certification signed by the CLEO.

Agency: Department of Justice(DOJ)

Priority: Other Significant

RIN Status:
           Previously published in the Unified Agenda

Agenda Stage of Rulemaking:
           Proposed Rule Stage

Major:
           No

Unfunded Mandates:
           No

CFR Citation:
           27 CFR 479

Legal Authority:
           26 USC 7805

Legal Deadline:

None

Timetable:

<th bgcolor="#CCCCCC" abbr="Action" scope="col" id="action">Action</th>

<th bgcolor="#CCCCCC" abbr="Date" scope="col" id="date">Date</th>

<th bgcolor="#CCCCCC" abbr="FR" scope="col" id="FRC">FR Cite</th>

NPRM 07/00/2013

Regulatory Flexibility Analysis Required:
           No

Government Levels Affected:
           None

Small Entities Affected:
           No

Federalism:
           No

Included in the Regulatory Plan:
       No

RIN Data Printed in the FR:
       No

Agency Contact:

Brenda R. Friend

Attorney

Department of Justice

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives

99 New York Avenue, NE,

Washington, DC 20226

Phone:202 648-8408

<form id="id_leaveregs_form" action="/public/reginfo/leaveReginfo.jsp" method="post">

</form>

About Us  

Related Resources  

Disclosure  

Accessibility  

Privacy Policy  

Contact Us  

Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:33:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like they're bringing the rules for trusts in line with the rules for individual transfers. It would still make sense to buy thingson a trust, that way you don't need a Form 5 to pass it on to your heirs.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Is there actual legislation on this horseshit? Or is he just going to will this "loophole" away? We need to contact lawmakers and tell them NO.

I know this is preaching to the choir, but what criminal is going to make a trust, pay 15000 for a MG, then wait 8 months for the stamp. Yeah, it's for the children, pick up that can.
View Quote

Basically the ATF gets to make up rules as they go.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:34:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Ours will not sign off on anything!
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:35:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Watch, people will line up to get them done now!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:35:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FBHO and FTATF.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's even better.  He doesn't need to sign anything and can't do anything to stop it.  Send him a pic with a big shit eatin grin.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Old news. This has been in the works for awhile. You will have to submit prints with the trust and the CLEO signoff will go away for the individual route.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:37:00 PM EDT
[#25]
So how are we to go about this new e-file setup? If trusts have to have fingerprints and CLEO they won't work right?

From what I understand, that's why individual Forms can't be e-filed at this time.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#26]
It doesn't require you to obtain approval from the Chief of Police, just lets him know. So lets say he decides to drop by one day with the local SRT team to make sure everything is in order.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#27]
I wonder if such rule changes would stand a court challenge.  SC gave 'personhood' to corporations in 1888 or so.  The unintended consequence of changing such rules willy nilly may prove interesting.

Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#28]
More hassles for the law abiding person.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:38:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

NFA Trusts

View Quote

Just contacted my attorney about the matter last week, there is a pretty informative publication on the topic coming out of UF law this week or next week that should shed some light on what we have to do. I'm holding off doing anything for another week or so, then it will be a rush to try to get everything submitted before they start mucking with things
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#30]
meh seems like a zero sum gain

Most people just set up trusts because the CLEO in their area won't sign anyway
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Old news. This has been in the works for awhile. You will have to submit prints with the trust and the CLEO signoff will go away for the individual route.
View Quote

Yep, just hope it is not accomplished before I get my 2 pending Form 4's back from the GayTF
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:46:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#33]
What will happen with existing trusts? If I had a trust setup this week and then submitted a form 1 right after would it still be ok?
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Some of the best firearms advice I ever got was to purchase my NFA items as an individual, not through a trust.

I got lucky with a CLEO that signs off no questions asked, excepting a background check run by his office.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
meh seems like a zero sum gain
Most people just set up trusts because the CLEO in their area won't sign anyway
View Quote

The reason I wanted a trust is because it was the easiest way for my wife and I to jointly own an NFA firearm.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Are you sure about this?  Does it still get sent to the police chief?  Per the article:

However, an online notice said that it will require “responsible persons” designated by the legal trusts to submit forms, photographs and fingerprints to the ATF and forwarded to the local chief police officer. The rule will also define the term “responsible person.”
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Are you sure about this?  Does it still get sent to the police chief?  Per the article:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

However, an online notice said that it will require “responsible persons” designated by the legal trusts to submit forms, photographs and fingerprints to the ATF and forwarded to the local chief police officer. The rule will also define the term “responsible person.”

My understanding is that you have to forward the info to your CLEO, but the CLEO sign off is not required. If they don't like it, tough shit. You informed them and that's all you'd be required to do.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

My understanding is that you have to forward the info to your CLEO, but the CLEO sign off is not required. If they don't like it, tough shit. You informed them and that's all you'd be required to do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much like you do when you apply for an 03C&R, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:54:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I recall correctly from when I read the proposed rule change the CLEO will be notified, but they have no say in the matter.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#40]
This can't be done without Congressional approval.  So it could happen, but it's less likely.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:55:12 PM EDT
[#41]
So will this effect NFA items already procured via trust or all new NFA items procured after a certain date?

-Anyone care to speculate?
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:55:34 PM EDT
[#42]
A Right does not require a signature.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:56:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This can't be done without Congressional approval.  So it could happen, but it's less likely.
View Quote

The signoff requirement was instituted by the ATF. It exists nowhere in the NFA or GCA. They can do this via rulemaking.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

DOJ/ATF                    RIN: 1140-AA43                    Publication ID: 2012        

Title: Background Checks for Principal Officers of Corporations, Trusts, and Other Legal Entities With Respect to the Making or Transferring of a National Firearms Act Firearm        
           Abstract: The Department of Justice is proposing to amend the regulations of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) regarding the making or transferring of a firearm under the National Firearms Act.  The proposed regulations would (1) add a definition for the term "responsible person"; (2)  require each responsible person of a corporation, trust or legal entity to complete a specified form, and to submit photographs and fingerprints; (3) require that a copy of all applications to make or transfer a firearm be forwarded to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) of the locality in which the maker or transferee is located; and (4) eliminate the requirement for a certification signed by the CLEO.        
           Agency: Department of Justice(DOJ)                    Priority: Other Significant        
           RIN Status:            Previously published in the Unified Agenda                    Agenda Stage of Rulemaking:            Proposed Rule Stage        
           Major:            No                    Unfunded Mandates:            No        
           CFR Citation:            27 CFR 479        
           Legal Authority:            26 USC 7805        

Legal Deadline: None
   Timetable:               <th bgcolor="#CCCCCC" abbr="Action" scope="col" id="action">Action</th>           <th bgcolor="#CCCCCC" abbr="Date" scope="col" id="date">Date</th>           <th bgcolor="#CCCCCC" abbr="FR" scope="col" id="FRC">FR Cite</th>                                                                                                          
NPRM 07/00/2013

Regulatory Flexibility Analysis Required:            No                    Government Levels Affected:            None        
           Small Entities Affected:            No                    Federalism:            No        
       Included in the Regulatory Plan:        No        
       RIN Data Printed in the FR:        No        
           Agency Contact:
                                       Brenda R. Friend                                    
Attorney                                                    
Department of Justice                                                    
99 New York Avenue, NE,                                                    
Washington, DC 20226                                                    

<form id="id_leaveregs_form" action="/public/reginfo/leaveReginfo.jsp" method="post">      </form>        
About Us  http://www.reginfo.gov/public/Images/vert_spacer.gifhttp://www.reginfo.gov/public/Images/spacer.gifRelated Resources  http://www.reginfo.gov/public/Images/vert_spacer.gifhttp://www.reginfo.gov/public/Images/spacer.gifDisclosure  http://www.reginfo.gov/public/Images/vert_spacer.gifhttp://www.reginfo.gov/public/Images/spacer.gifAccessibility  http://www.reginfo.gov/public/Images/vert_spacer.gifhttp://www.reginfo.gov/public/Images/spacer.gifPrivacy Policy  http://www.reginfo.gov/public/Images/vert_spacer.gifhttp://www.reginfo.gov/public/Images/spacer.gifContact Us  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DOJ/ATF                    RIN: 1140-AA43                    Publication ID: 2012        

Title: Background Checks for Principal Officers of Corporations, Trusts, and Other Legal Entities With Respect to the Making or Transferring of a National Firearms Act Firearm        
           Abstract: The Department of Justice is proposing to amend the regulations of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) regarding the making or transferring of a firearm under the National Firearms Act.  The proposed regulations would (1) add a definition for the term "responsible person"; (2)  require each responsible person of a corporation, trust or legal entity to complete a specified form, and to submit photographs and fingerprints; (3) require that a copy of all applications to make or transfer a firearm be forwarded to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) of the locality in which the maker or transferee is located; and (4) eliminate the requirement for a certification signed by the CLEO.        
           Agency: Department of Justice(DOJ)                    Priority: Other Significant        
           RIN Status:            Previously published in the Unified Agenda                    Agenda Stage of Rulemaking:            Proposed Rule Stage        
           Major:            No                    Unfunded Mandates:            No        
           CFR Citation:            27 CFR 479        
           Legal Authority:            26 USC 7805        

Legal Deadline: None
   Timetable:               <th bgcolor="#CCCCCC" abbr="Action" scope="col" id="action">Action</th>           <th bgcolor="#CCCCCC" abbr="Date" scope="col" id="date">Date</th>           <th bgcolor="#CCCCCC" abbr="FR" scope="col" id="FRC">FR Cite</th>                                                                                                          
NPRM 07/00/2013

Regulatory Flexibility Analysis Required:            No                    Government Levels Affected:            None        
           Small Entities Affected:            No                    Federalism:            No        
       Included in the Regulatory Plan:        No        
       RIN Data Printed in the FR:        No        
           Agency Contact:
                                       Brenda R. Friend                                    
Attorney                                                    
Department of Justice                                                    
99 New York Avenue, NE,                                                    
Washington, DC 20226                                                    

<form id="id_leaveregs_form" action="/public/reginfo/leaveReginfo.jsp" method="post">      </form>        
About Us  http://www.reginfo.gov/public/Images/vert_spacer.gifhttp://www.reginfo.gov/public/Images/spacer.gifRelated Resources  http://www.reginfo.gov/public/Images/vert_spacer.gifhttp://www.reginfo.gov/public/Images/spacer.gifDisclosure  http://www.reginfo.gov/public/Images/vert_spacer.gifhttp://www.reginfo.gov/public/Images/spacer.gifAccessibility  http://www.reginfo.gov/public/Images/vert_spacer.gifhttp://www.reginfo.gov/public/Images/spacer.gifPrivacy Policy  http://www.reginfo.gov/public/Images/vert_spacer.gifhttp://www.reginfo.gov/public/Images/spacer.gifContact Us  

Thanks,I guess I need to learn to read more
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:57:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Not that it makes any difference, but what does the actual law have to say?

Is this even something which the President can change by EO?   Or does Federal statute only specify prints, CLEO signoff, etc from individuals?
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
So will this effect NFA items already procured via trust or all new NFA items procured after a certain date?

View Quote

An excellent question. Not to mention what will happen to all of the Forms currently pending using trusts...
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:59:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Good luck with that.  If they stop me using my corporation  to buy NFA items, I guess I will just have to become a part of case law.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 2:00:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

An excellent question. Not to mention what will happen to all of the Forms currently pending using trusts...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My guess is that if the rule changed now, they'd kick your form back for not having all of the required papers when they finally got to it in 6 or 8 months.

Forward, to Progress.   Glorious 5 year plan forms for great gun-owning freedom.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#50]
FATP

Fuck All The Politicians
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top