Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/16/2006 9:06:54 PM EDT
thats right more details to come but for now....Inverness, Florida 34452 Feb 25 th
about 1 hr north of Tampa and 1 hr from Orlando
we plan to parkerize-refinish ( dura-coat) and have a normal build party
for now gather kits-recievers-parts-rivets-screws you name it...
we can BBQ lunch ..I have room for a few more to attend

the best part is the machine gun shoot the next day at Hernando Sportsman club, so plan for a weekend of building and blasting
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:40:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Mark, I'm definately in. I have a couple guys over at gunco that might want to come. One can bring a flat jig I believe. Let me know.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#2]
soulds ok to me, I am a member there too  ( I think) only been there a few times dont think I ever posted there, an extra jig is definately a big help, I think we will have 2 press, and plenty of the other tools, we have 2 possibly 3 rivet squeezers, but no plinkers jig or trigger guard jig as of yet, please feel free to spread the info, I really would like guys to contribute with some tool or knowledge, rather that have a party full of newbees so send me a link if you post anything...cool....Mark
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:55:32 AM EDT
[#3]
10 4 Mark. I'll see if the guy he is getting the flat jig from has any other tools we can borrow. Damn, I might have to get another kit or 2!! This is sounding good.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:18:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Mark, I have secured a trigger jig, and probably another kit for myself!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:14:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Tantal built for the party and I am thinking of ordering one of those yugo kits from ammunition store for $ 79, dark bore dosent scare me, I have been researching them for last few days and everyone said go for it, I think Harlan at Nodakspud will have some recievers in by the first week of Feb, are u gonna want to park or paint anything ?? ask your buddys as well
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Mark, I think I was just going to do finishing if the stuff is going to be set-up. I'm kitted out for a while myself.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:34:09 PM EDT
[#7]
thought u said 2 post back got the jig and another kit...come on, might be a long time before the next build, can u confirm that you will be bringing that TG jig...please, one of the guys from floridashootersnetwork confirm that he would buy a flat bending jig so we have one definately, I would like to have 2 just to move things along, we are still on the look out for a spot welder, keep an eye out and let me know if u know anybody that has one...u can send me e-mail direct if u have any other questions [email protected]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:13:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Mark, still plan on bringing the TG jig. The guy I'm getting it from is still sending it. I think I don't want to do another build right now.  The only rec. I could get in time would be a yugo, and I haven't seen any kits that I like. Plus, I don't think between now and then I could get a demil done on a new kit. I just want to finish up the ones I have (2). And I need to spend some $$ on the 1919. Sent you an email too.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Mark, I would like attend to finish the kits from the datona build party.Santa brought me a new drill press this year I can bring and I'm sure Lanceman would be willing to bring the 12 ton press he let us use in Datona.
Scott
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:18:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Scott, did you get your underfolders done yet?? I finished both my rommy's. Hope you can come to the party
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:50:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Well I'm back on for a build I think. I found a Yugo to get that might be decent. Need to put that TG jig to work I suppose.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:11:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Scott, did you get your underfolders done yet?? I finished both my rommy's. Hope you can come to the party

Nope,I'm just now getting the second reciever from Global this week..Its been a long wait
With any luck I will have one more 80% reciever from global in a month to do a Romie also
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#13]
bring them............. my e-mail is back a few posts ...see you on the 25 th of Feb , the MG shoot is the next day, awsome time...make a weekend of it....
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:11:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Well I'm back on for a build I think. I found a Yugo to get that might be decent. Need to put that TG jig to work I suppose.

I just finished a yugo. There's a bit of a problem with those DCI receivers.

The mags are very loose on them if you use the predrilled holes. On mine, I moved the TG forward just a "bit". You might want to test yours for fit before you rivet them in.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:00:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Did you have to weld up the holes and redrill them? Was it a standard or underfolder?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:23:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Did you have to weld up the holes and redrill them? Was it a standard or underfolder?

I used longer rivets (to fill in the elongated holes)
It was an underfolder, but the problem affects both types of receivers.

Another way to fix this problem is to use an undrilled TG and drill the hole slightly forward.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to check carefully when I'm doing mine.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:13:54 AM EDT
[#18]
I have two tantal kits.  And I have a squeezer and a TG riveter on the way.  It will just make a LONG day to drive there and back from Tallahassee.
Is there a confirmed press yet?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:31:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, there's at least one, probably 2 presses. You'll want to email mark "rentprop" for info.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:01:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I have two tantal kits.  And I have a squeezer and a TG riveter on the way.  It will just make a LONG day to drive there and back from Tallahassee.
Is there a confirmed press yet?

no problems with the press, what we are missing is a spot welder for those who need to bend flats

Blisster, there is a huge machine gun shoot the next day about 20 min from the party, you might think about hanging out for the weekend, one of the guys comming has some really fun toys
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:54:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I am down for this

will bring beer

dremil, w/ disks

perhaps some leftover gunkote

hacksaw and machete

BTW, does anyone have one of those "hole locators", I may try to buy one if not

you might think about hanging out for the weekend, one of the guys comming has some really fun toys

That would be sweet, if I could drag my wife, she might lose her full auto cherry
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:06:38 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm in.    I'm mostly going to be doing cosmetics - park and paint.  I know it will be a good time.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:29:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Rentprop1,

I'm Definitely IN with Probably a Couple of buds in Tow.

I've got a couple of Dremels, Access to a Portable Compressor(5hp/20gal)
for Paint, Angle Grinder/Cut off/Sanding etc.
I Have a couple of Spray Guns & an Air Angle Grinder/Sander Somewhere around here.

I was going to bring some Extra S.S. Park Mostly Manganese(blk),
if anybody Wants Grey Speak UP Early & I'll Bring some Zinc as well.
(I like SS mostly because it's Idiot Proof & faster For a Nice Dark Black finish w/No pre treatment necessary.)

I'll see if a Bud of Mine, who owns a BodyShop,
has a Spot welder I can Borrow for the Weekend.(No Promises)

As far as Duracoat goes, I Prefer to use a Teflon Moly Coat Over the Park.
I find that's the Best/Cheapest Alternative to Robar for Our Lovely S. FLA Weather......
...1st off, Aging of parts is Almost Non-Existant,
2)...The Fresh Park Loves to soak up the moly like oil
(almost like they become 1)
3)...When the Finish wears it's[Teflon] still there &
4)...Cleaning's a Breeze(Carbon Just Doesn't stick)
So If any1 wants to get in on that LMK....

Mainly I'll be Refinishing so I was wondering will we have use of a Blast cabinet???

I would like to Bend a Few Flats as Well...(hence the Spot welder....)
Will we have an oven to heat treat, or
will the ol' torch method be Employed here???
Does any1 Know of, or is Getting Flats from a good source???
Maybe a Group buy???
If so shoot me a PM Please.......

How 'bout these U Drive/Screw Combos, anybody tried this yet???
Some say it's faster/easier than rivets &
have put several thou rounds downrange with success.
Was looking into this also. (Oh!!! the Options...he...LOL)
If I can think of anything else I'll post it.

Maybe U can setup a Working List (in Progress)
of Tools that will be available & What  we are lacking.
This way we can concentrate or efforts on what we still NEED....

I posted this Originally on FSN but thought the ARF of FLA deserved to here this also.....
AGAIN, TIA for Being the Gracious host......

U Da MAN!!!

Take Care, CYA & STAY SAFE,  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:11:28 AM EDT
[#24]
FLATS  - FLATS - FLATS

midwestarmory.com has decent prices on flats.  I doubt he has enough profit in them to do much of a discount on a group buy.  However, his base price of $11.99 is the best I've seen.  He offers free shipping on purchases greater than 50.00.   Sooooooo, if you guys want to organize a buy, put me down for one.   now you just need 4 more and we get the flat delivered for $11.99 each

There may be other flats that you guys like better.  This is just my two cents.   Regards.  Progunvoter.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:38:36 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't NEED any, but I'd put in for a flat or two just for fun.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:37:56 AM EDT
[#26]
yea I need 1 flat as well, someone pick me up one......most of the ones on the market are from the same source, some sell them for $ 11.99 and others for more, the only better would be the ones WITH OUT the front holes pre-drilled............  DILLIGAF I sent you a PM on FSN about the party, Walt, Dilligaf  has park stuff as well maybe the 2 of you put your heads together and see what else we need.....
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:04:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm new to AK building and I want to attend.

I know I need the following:
Flat
The parts kit (duh)

But what else do I need? Are all the parts I need to complete in the kit or do I have to get some others and do I have to get any US parts for compliance? Thanks for helping a newbe out.

ETA: I am in Cocoa anyone interested in carpooling?

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:35:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Never done a flat, lets see, you need...

Kit
flat
rails for flat
center support rivet
Regular rivets
US parts

It's also helpful to have the demil done before you get to the party, so that you're just "building" when you have access to all the tools. You'll want to check with Mark, as it's his show.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Never done a flat, lets see, you need...

Kit
flat
rails for flat
center support rivet
Regular rivets
US parts

It's also helpful to have the demil done before you get to the party, so that you're just "building" when you have access to all the tools. You'll want to check with Mark, as it's his show.

Just be sure to bring a 100% receiver with you to the party. Chances are fairly slim that someone will be bringing a spot welder (with the specially modified tong) to weld in the rails.

Otherwise you might be twittling your thumbs for most of the day.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:18:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
FLATS  - FLATS - FLATS    

The Brown Truck visited my house today. Thank you to Copes Distributing who got them shipped out FAST

Time to send da money, $13.00 / flat.  I'll take cash, checks or (paypal +3%).   Guys in my opinion paypal is the best deal because saving postage and hassle is worth 3%.  But whatever you want, I'm easy.

FLATS Sign up sheet  Just a little reminder for the new guys: you'll also need to get yourself a center support & rivets. They don't come with the flats.
Rent1prop - 2    Paid
JJK 308 -  5    Paid
Progunvoter - 1  Paid (of course)
Freakzilla - 2   Paid
Neonnight - 3  Paid
Blazer85 - 2   Paid
Blisster - 1 ____

Goodnews - Copes Distributing got them in stock today.  All Flats ordered.  Ok guys, no Free Freight with Copes soooooo, cost per flat is 13.00, not 12.   Don't send any money yet.  Wait until I actually receive them.  UPDATE FRIDAY FEB 10th.  FLATS HAVE ARRIVED.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:44:52 AM EDT
[#31]
copes distribuiting has the flats at same $ 11.99, but the front and rear holes are not drilled, if you get them from copes I will take 1 definately, if not please PM me back

http://www.copesdist.com/ak47.htm
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Without having a spot welder, won't these flats we bend be somewhat useless? Forgive my ignorance, I've always just used 100% receivers. If we can make these useable, I could put in for some flats.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Without having a spot welder, won't these flats we bend be somewhat useless? Forgive my ignorance, I've always just used 100% receivers.

No, they will be 20% useless, or 80% useful. Depends on how you look at it!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Aaahhhh, but I only said "somewhat useless"........
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:05:24 AM EDT
[#35]
You can tap and screw on the rails - works as good or better than spot welds which are just used because they're cheaper.  Tig welding through some holes in the receiver also works fine.

Count me in as i need to bend 5, count 'em, FIVE flats.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:19:38 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
You can tap and screw on the rails - works as good or better than spot welds which are just used because they're cheaper.  Tig welding through some holes in the receiver also works fine.

Count me in as i need to bend 5, count 'em, FIVE flats.

you guys talk about useless and useless, of you are talking about the flats... lol... at least you can get them bent at the party, thats what  I did at the Daytona build, bent a few flats, I later used a spot welder to put the rails on, at the Tampa build party, yes, you can screw them and yes you can tig them, I have even seen where people mig then.
jjk308 welcome, please be considerate of press time if all u want to do is bend, might think about comming by a little later in the day, or come at regulat time and work your self in.....we have a general plan as not to be a cluster f&^% when everyone wants to use the press, and it looks like we will have 2 presses set up
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:12:24 PM EDT
[#37]
I can't be useless because my doctor says I'm a impotent man.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:11:53 AM EDT
[#38]
I can bring a pair of bolt cutter squeezers too, and the dremel, hacksaw, and machete
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:16:00 PM EDT
[#39]
So if I got a 100% receiver and a polish parts kit,what else would I need to bring?.Im very new to Ak47,But really want to learn how to put one together
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:10:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Rivets is all you NEED to bring. If your going to try and change the gas piston for a compliance part, that would be good to have. Other US parts aren't necessarily needed to build it, just to finish it. You really should demil the kit before the party, so your just assembling.

If your trying to build and underfolder, and the rear is not already cut for it, I hope your good with a dremel. I'm not so I got a yugo kit and a dci that is ready to build (hopefully)
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:50:31 PM EDT
[#41]
did you find a nice bore,I cant seem to find  a bright one.I think Im going to go dci 1.6 on the receiver
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:56:34 AM EDT
[#42]
I found a pretty decent yugo UF. Keep in mind if you get a polish UF, the DCI receiver will not work for it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:42:04 PM EDT
[#43]
i am in on a flat also going to the party for my first ak build. be easy on me guys and remember to help me out hahah
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:07:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Anyone seen any good underfolder parts kits around,if so where and what receiver,I would of been so sad if I would of showed up with a DCI and a yugo kit
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:18:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Hey, I got a DCI receiver and yugo kit and it will be awsome!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#46]
I think you got something backwards
Yugo and DCI go hand in hand
DCI and 1.6...well that 2 different things from 2 different companies

PRO G ...sent u PM about my flat count....thanks
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:49:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Does anyone have a solution for the long rivets? I know we have squeezers for the short ones, but they don't work on the long ones, right? Anybody get a jig?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:29:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Progunvoter message sent on the flats..

rentprop i lost my hard drive the othere night and your email addy please email me i have a line on a spot welder ;)
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#49]
gotta finish 2 YUgo krinks wiyh Global trades rec. from last party :)

i have large drill press & heavy duty 6" vise available

pics from last florida ak build party here
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:51:11 PM EDT
[#50]
I got the see my arm and my feet and the paint that was in Walts garage thats now in mine too funy....lets get them finished up
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top