Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 5:20:12 AM EDT
[#1]
He was using a DPMS.......

Actually.. that's been around the web awhile.. it was his reloaded ammo if I recall...
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 5:22:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn, he's one lucky dude. My guess is that he had a round probably stuck in the chamber/barrel and fed a live one right behind it and whammo.

WOW
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 5:26:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Further evidence of why our troops need the AK!
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 5:28:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I am calling squib.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 5:34:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Why, because of poor ammo?  Get over it...
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 5:36:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I just want to know why he keeps smacking the FA.  

It looks like a plastic mag?  The thing just disintegrated.  How would a beer can mag handle that?  Just blow the baseplate/shit out the bottom?  
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 5:37:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Also, it looks like he didn't resize his brass before reloading.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 5:40:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How would a beer can mag handle that?  Just blow the baseplate/shit out the bottom?  

Either the whole mag would blow out, or the baseplate would blow off. Either way the mag is toast as well. The real question is how would a P-Mag handle that?
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 5:40:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

It has nothing to do with the weapon

People that shoot cheap-ass ammo in their $1,000 rifles are to blame.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 5:45:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I am calling squib.

He hangs out on the Mainenance and Cleaning forum.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 5:47:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Dear lord I hope you are being sarcastic. I didn't even see this remark the first time I read through.

I own an AK, and I trained with all manner of AR/M16. You are smoking crack if you think the AK is a good option with which to equip our troops.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 6:03:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Thats exactly why I never shoot while holding the magwell.

The Ol' Crew Chief
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 6:28:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Also, it looks like he didn't resize his brass before reloading.

Oops!  There goes the headspace
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 6:40:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Maybe a G22 nearby.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:08:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Secondary's from a nearby Glock-kaboom?
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#16]
RELOADS! probably NOT full length resized.....
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:40:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Bad Primer.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 8:02:17 AM EDT
[#18]
That was really wierd.  
It looks like he was having a problem before it blew..
First, why does he pull back the charging handle, when it's already charged?
Repeatedl tapping the mag and FA.

Then he removes the mag and replaces it, then it blows.

Got to be ammo related.

Also you have to ask yourself:  Why was there a camera running?
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 8:11:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Blows up in Kids face?

He didnt look like a kid to me? i was expecting an 8 year old
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 8:19:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

A piss poor version of SPORTS maybe?
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 8:19:18 AM EDT
[#21]
These things happen.
More often with reloads by someone other than the owner. Sometimes with factory loads. Not sure if it can be completely avoided, but sticking to quality rounds from mfgs that have excellent reputations will significantly reduce the chance of a bad round ruining your investment.
Too bad this also means less range time due to cost of the high quality ammo.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 8:20:15 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
It has nothing to do with the weapon
People that shoot cheap-ass ammo in their $1,000 rifles are to blame.

+1!
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 8:30:30 AM EDT
[#23]
ouch!
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 8:58:14 AM EDT
[#24]
 So, he hits the forward assist, then pulls the charging handle-- obviously he is very well versed in the operation of the weapon. No wonder he thougt he could stuff anything he wanted to into it to shoot. I know too many guys like that these days. I'm just glad he isn't too badly injured. Sometimes it takes a hit to the pocketbook to wake a guy up.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 9:04:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Maybe a primer only round that left the bullet just forward of the chamber...

Next round wouldn't chamber so he starts jamming on the forward assist, whichs gives just enough room to get a new round in the gun...

This is one of the reasons I don't like to use the forward assist during malfunction clearances...
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 9:39:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Looks like he put that one round that he couldn't get to fire back in the mag and tried to cycle it again.  I guess 4th, or 5th times a charm
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 9:41:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Ductapeman

So, he hits the forward assist, then pulls the charging handle-- obviously he is very well versed in the operation of the weapon. No wonder he thougt he could stuff anything he wanted to into it to shoot.  I know too many guys like that these days.  

What you saw in the video  is typical of the average AR owner. They have little knowledge on how to deal with a malfuction.. so they just start tapping and bangin and pullin and pushin until something happens to correct the issue...

Amazing what a little training and some knowledge will do.....

and I like how this thread went from what happened to  ..switch to an Ak... that's classic ARFCOM at it's best...

So if one of my cheap ass tires blows out on my Ford .. I should switch to Chevy....makes perfect sense....

and you guys afraid of the mag well should get over your fear.......You have a better chance of getting killed in a car accident then lossing your hand IF you have a Kaboom......  Name one person who has been "Mangled" with this technique who has experienced a kaboom???? you can't.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 9:44:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Hit the forward assist harder dumbass....... Too busy trying to look cool. Break the rifle down and assess the situation after the 2nd malfunction, it's not like you have Charlie storming your shooting bench. The mag looked like it was an Orlite.

Lucky all he got was a sore hand.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Looked to me like he had a squib just before that last mag change.  At least the guy knew enough or was lucky enough to wear eye protection.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 10:00:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Yea, Id go with squib as well.

CLICK! and then he starts going all nuts on the CH and FA..... without even checking to see what caused the failure to fire. He does a quick check of the chamber, well sorta... then he moves right back to trying to get something else in there and if it doesn't fit... he resorts to 'If'n the round dont fit or somethin' is ta bein' wrong... smack the FA a bunch... cram it in there harder... that will fix it.'

Bummer he had a Kb!... next time he might actually try and find the cause of the malfunction before beating the FA.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 10:06:00 AM EDT
[#32]
LOL pretty funny  
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 10:10:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Take off forward assist, should have checked chamber.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 10:59:44 AM EDT
[#34]
He should have looked at the round(s) that didn't fire and then looked at the empty brass. Barrel was probably restriced from a bad round.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I am calling squib.

Why call me?

Oh, wait....you said "S"quib.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

It looks like a plastic mag?  The thing just disintegrated.  How would a beer can mag handle that?  Just blow the baseplate/shit out the bottom?  

I would guess he has crap reloads.  Some fed, some didn't, some worked fine, others blew up.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#37]
The guy not firing the rifle said "I didn't load these, Ryan did." That proves they were shooting reloaded ammo, and someone else's at that. How many bad primers, or at least failures to fire, did he have prior to the KB? 3 or 4 at least. Let's see, some rounds wouldn't chamber without banging the FA, some of those that did chamber wouldn't fire, and one finally blew the gun up, either because it was badly overloaded, had major bullet set-back, or was fired behind a squib that left a bullet lodged in the bore. Sounds like this "Ryan" fellow was a Dumb-A** and had no business making anything more complicated than a pitcher of cool-aide, much less reloading rifle ammo! heyhave  
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 1:47:38 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I have one thing to say to you...

That is all...
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 2:00:30 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 Name one person who has been "Mangled" with this technique who has experienced a kaboom???? you can't.

I'll name him stubby.

Name him what ever you want but first you have to produce him. I admit the video is not real clear but from what I can tell, the magwell survived just fine, it was the magazine that exploded. A magwell hold is just that, a magwell hold is not a magazine hold.

That said, I would really like to know what kind of cheap ass mags he was using that exploded like that. I've seem kabooms using USGI mags. Sure the bottom blows out of them and the mag body itself usually swells but it stays intact not like those POS mags he was using. If those where PMags, that would be the final reason why I won't buy any. Just my 2cents
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#40]
What is the best way for a noob to detect a squib round? Is the recoil significantly lessened? (It seems hearing protection would hamper your ability to hear a squib)

I have never encountered a squib round and wouldn't know one I don't think at this point.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 2:06:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Which one of you replied in the comments with "I did not know Glock made ARs"
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 2:32:48 PM EDT
[#42]
What about "SteyrAUG put a squib load up his boyfriends ass"?  someone has a hard-on for SteyerAUG on youtube.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 2:35:57 PM EDT
[#43]
height=8
Quoted:
Ductapeman
height=8
  So, he hits the forward assist, then pulls the charging handle-- obviously he is very well versed in the operation of the weapon. No wonder he thougt he could stuff anything he wanted to into it to shoot.  I know too many guys like that these days.  

What you saw in the video  is typical of the average AR owner. They have little knowledge on how to deal with a malfuction.. so they just start tapping and bangin and pullin and pushin until something happens to correct the issue...

Amazing what a little training and some knowledge will do.....

and I like how this thread went from what happened to  ..switch to an Ak... that's classic ARFCOM at it's best...

So if one of my cheap ass tires blows out on my Ford .. I should switch to Chevy....makes perfect sense....he  Name one person who has been "Mangled" with this technique who has experienced a kaboom???? you can't.

Typical gun owner you mean not AR. On the first misfire he should of waited 30 secs. or what time one prefers and then checked the weapon. With any weapon pistol or rifle. It could of been a hang fire. I believe inspection after the first miss fire would have saved the rile and kept the britches clean.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Looks like a clear case of forward assist abuse.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 2:45:21 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
What is the best way for a noob to detect a squib round? Is the recoil significantly lessened? (It seems hearing protection would hamper your ability to hear a squib)

I have never encountered a squib round and wouldn't know one I don't think at this point.

Shot isn't as loud as usual, especially if only the primer pops rather than partial charge ignition.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 3:06:27 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Looks like a clear case of forward assist abuse.  

Yup, seen it a million times.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Squib load. The reason it wouldn't chamber (and wouldn't fire, since an AR won't fire out of battery) those first few rounds before teh kB.

He had a round with no powder in it. The primer forced the round just into the chamber. Thus, the rounds he was trying to chamber wouldn't. But each time he chambered one and smacked the FA, he pushed that bullet a little further down the barrel.

Finally, it chambered. Then he pulled trigger, and kaboom!

Here's a lesson, folks:

1. Load your own ammo. He stated in the video that it wasn't his ammo, "Brian" loaded it for him.

2. Know what a squib loads is and how to recognize it. If you hear a "pop", but no real noise or recoil, and an empty case comes out of the gun, check the barrel before firing again.

3. Don't use the FA. The FA was designed for combat use, where you absolutely needed it to chamber that round right there, right now. At the range, there is no reason to sit there and beat on it. If the round won't go into the chamber on it's own, something is wrong.

Link Posted: 10/3/2007 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Obstruction.  Wrong ammo.  Surpluss ammo in a small chamber.  Bad reload.  bottom line, careless.

Quoted:
Maybe a primer only round that left the bullet just forward of the chamber...

Next round wouldn't chamber so he starts jamming on the forward assist, whichs gives just enough room to get a new round in the gun...

This is one of the reasons I don't like to use the forward assist during malfunction clearances...

Link Posted: 10/3/2007 3:25:35 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/3/2007 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#50]
I like the part where he hits the forward assist before he releases the bolt carrier.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top