Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:43:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Has he tried to get you to switch insurance yet?  He will!
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:18:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Very little experience dropping trees. Been running heavy equipment since I was 13. As for the trees, I am youtube taught. I drop them and then grab with grapple, lift about 3 inches and set the bucket on the stump. I then step out over the bucket and onto the ground. I would NEVER get out with a load over the cab, thats begging to be killed.
My experience with Chainsaws are all FD related. Cutting a vent hole and other rescue work is very different than dropping trees.
I have a very healthy respect for chainsaws. I keep one of these in my cargo pocket and  all my kids and my wife have practiced using one...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269478/20200503_203329_resized_jpg-1399794.JPG
View Quote

What is it and where do you get it?

Thanks

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:51:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What is it and where do you get it?

Thanks

View Quote

Tourniquet

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FJFY2Z4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_N2bSEb554SS4R
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn sweet!  Love the kitchen stove!
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 1:15:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Merlin:

What is it and where do you get it?

Thanks

View Quote

If you are asking about the picture,
Tourniquet.

I got mine at work, but any search engine can get you one.

I keep one and usually a complete personal med kit around
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you are asking about the picture,
Tourniquet.

I got mine at work, but any search engine can get you one.

I keep one and usually a complete personal med kit around
View Quote

Thanks!  Now I'm not sure I trust myself with one.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:07:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:14:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:00:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Day three...

1. Don't trust the fuel gauge.. Say it with me, Do NOT trust a fuel gauge. Damned thing read half a tank and it quit, with the  FEL halfway up... I literally was stuck in the cab. Ended up cranking the starter, while turning on the hydraulics to lower the arms enough to squeeze out the top.

2. With some motivation, a Grapple can pull a pine stump...

3. Cleared a bit of land today.
4. Tired...

Pics;

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

If I could figure out how to post videos, I would post a couple...
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:18:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 7:49:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Now with video. Nothing while working, but its something.

Day 3 of clearing woods and brush near house

View from the floating dock on pond. Apologize for the jerkiness, the dock moves...
One of many reasons we fell in love with the place

Morning of day 3.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 9:42:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Rained this morning, so late start. More of the same, Demo'd the rest of the Fire Place while it rained, then back to tractor work...

We are taking the areas we want changed down to the studs. Contractor will be doing the actual work. The Fire place will be removed from the center of the room and moved to a corner. It should open the room up a lot!
Sheet rock down along with the 1/2 inch plywood. Not going to lie, this whooped me. They used 16 penny nails about every 10 inches. It wasn't going anywhere...
Attachment Attached File

View from the Front door. It gives a decent idea of what it will look like when opened up.
Attachment Attached File

Rain stopped around lunch time and I went back to clearing the area around the house.
Pulled a few stumps today
Attachment Attached File

Otherwise, about the same as the day before.

Wife caught me cleaning the area up before calling it a night. This whole area looked just like the forest behind. This is after dropping 20 plus trees of various types and lots of shrubs. That Bush hog is missed.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 1:58:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Dean, your best thing would be a forestry mulching head. Is it possible to rent that?  You'd knock down trees, then drive over it and mulch it all up. All the bushes and shrubs would be mulched up like it's nothing.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:25:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Requiem:
Dean, your best thing would be a forestry mulching head. Is it possible to rent that?  You'd knock down trees, then drive over it and mulch it all up. All the bushes and shrubs would be mulched up like it's nothing.
View Quote

I have 3 requests out for quotes for one, no one has responded back yet. Not sure if they are ignoring me because I am just asking for the machine with no operator or what.
 I dream for a Fecon head unit....
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:55:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice looking place. Love that pond.

Edit: Dirt looks good (no rocks) - you ought to plan a garden spot while you still have the "heavy equipment."

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:04:04 AM EDT
[#17]
My son was born in Morehead City.  

I love that place.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 11:45:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Pics;

Attachment Attached File

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2020 10:52:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Got to the house yesterday, stepping up to get in the cab, slipped and caught myself before face planting the frame. Unfortunately, i felt a pop in my right arm, watched my muscle retract about 2 inches... Enough pain I pucked on the spot.  So what do my dumbass do? Ice, Motrin, wrap and continue to work. I still have this tractor  for 3 more days and work needs to be done. I have about 70% strength. I am now just operating the skid steer and clearing stuff. Luckily all the trees around the house have been cleared....

=https://www.howardluksPossible Bicep tear

When it happened.
Attachment Attached File

What I woke up to... It only hurts on outward rotation.
Attachment Attached File

ETA: Why are my pictures upside down?
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Got to the house yesterday, stepping up to get in the cab, slipped and caught myself before face planting the frame. Unfortunately, i felt a pop in my right arm, watched my muscle retract about 2 inches... Enough pain I pucked on the spot.  So what do my dumbass do? Ice, Motrin, wrap and continue to work. I still have this tractor  for 3 more days and work needs to be done. I have about 70% strength. I am now just operating the skid steer and clearing stuff. Luckily all the trees around the house have been cleared....

Possible Bicep tear

When it happened.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269478/20200506_090310_jpg-1405173.JPG

What I woke up to... It only hurts on outward rotation.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269478/20200507_103225_jpg-1405174.JPG

ETA: Why are my pictures upside down?
View Quote

I hope you recover quickly!

Link Posted: 5/7/2020 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Merlin:

I hope you recover quickly!

View Quote

Thank you and so do I!!
If it is what I think, and I need surgery. It looks like a 3 to 4 month recovery. Will find out Monday when I see the Doc.

Meanwhile, lunch view.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thank you and so do I!!
If it is what I think, and I need surgery. It looks like a 3 to 4 month recovery. Will find out Monday when I see the Doc.

Meanwhile, lunch view.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269478/20200507_143504_resized_jpg-1405457.JPG
View Quote

Good luck, nothing you can do and you aren't gonna hurt it any worse.  Dorian Yates won the O after tearing his a few weeks before.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Views from the back porch.

7 days ago:
Attachment Attached File

Today:
Attachment Attached File

Rental place called and said the Bush hog should be fixed today, with delivery in the morning. They are extending my rental to Thursday morning, with no upcharge for the inconvenience.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 12:25:35 AM EDT
[#25]
excellent, create defensible space around the house in case of wildfire.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Bush hog delivered and working.

Pond bank cleared and all bushes between..

Have a few pines that still need to go...
Current view from back porch.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 9:23:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Wow. Made a big difference
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 9:29:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Not much to say.
Finished clearing the pines and shrubs between the back patio and pond. View as of today.
Attachment Attached File

Last pine taken down today. Miscalculated the fall. Landed in the pond. Tow straps work...
Attachment Attached File

Far side of the pond, looking back towards the house.
The pond was dug as a sand quarry. Steep banks all around. So I cut a  slope for easier entry/exit. We plan on getting kayaks. Back side of the picture is a 1/3 acre clearing. Will be perfect for setting up a tent and camping with the kids. Or they can camp without Mom and Dad...
Attachment Attached File

Next job, renting a stump grinder. Have about 60 plus stumps to grind.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Wow!  Great progress!   You've done a phenomenal job, I'm very impressed.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By JustinOK34:
Wow!  Great progress!   You've done a phenomenal job, I'm very impressed.
View Quote

Friend was over the other day. Brought his drone. Took some pics foe me. Waiting on those pics to be sent. Will post when I get them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Working the front yard today..

When we first drove up, you couldn't see the house due to pines and overgrowth.
Attachment Attached File

Bushes were over the windows. Wife said everything but the Crepe myrtles needed to go.
Attachment Attached File

(You might notice my wood stack in the back ground. 10ish feet tall, 16 feet wide, double stacked, and about 25/30 feet deep)

Attachment Attached File

Before
Attachment Attached File

After
Attachment Attached File

Found this gizmo online. If you go through chainsaw blades quickly, this thing is awesome for keeping them sharp. I touch up the chain every other fuel tank.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:18:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By NCUrk:
Working the front yard today..

When we first drove up, you couldn't see the house due to pines and overgrowth.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269478/20200513_135848_resized_jpg-1414147.JPG

Bushes were over the windows. Wife said everything but the Crepe myrtles needed to go.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269478/20200513_140251_resized_jpg-1414149.JPG 
(You might notice my wood stack in the back ground. 10ish feet tall, 16 feet wide, double stacked, and about 25/30 feet deep)

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269478/20200513_140211_resized_jpg-1414152.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269478/20200513_140232_resized_jpg-1414154.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NCUrk:
Working the front yard today..

When we first drove up, you couldn't see the house due to pines and overgrowth.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269478/20200513_135848_resized_jpg-1414147.JPG

Bushes were over the windows. Wife said everything but the Crepe myrtles needed to go.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269478/20200513_140251_resized_jpg-1414149.JPG 
(You might notice my wood stack in the back ground. 10ish feet tall, 16 feet wide, double stacked, and about 25/30 feet deep)

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269478/20200513_140211_resized_jpg-1414152.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269478/20200513_140232_resized_jpg-1414154.JPG

Wow, what a transformation!  Looking absolutely gorgeous.  
So we're hoping to buy our patch of land, been looking for 3 years now.  When we do can I hire you to come out and do some clearing?  After your bicep heals of course.   How's it doing?  What did the doc say?

Quoted:
 Found this gizmo online. If you go through chainsaw blades quickly, this thing is awesome for keeping them sharp. I touch up the chain every other fuel tank. 
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269478/20200513_140531_resized_jpg-1414157.JPG

Yep, great handy tool for sharpening.  I love mine.  For those out there that don't have one, just make sure you get the right one for your needs.  Stihl makes them in multiple sizes.    I think the difference is in pitch.  I don't know all the terminology.  

I just use my chainsaw once or twice a year for cutting up some firewood and or clearing a branch, such as the one that fell down in last night's storm.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 1:32:17 PM EDT
[#33]

Wow, what a transformation!  Looking absolutely gorgeous.  
So we're hoping to buy our patch of land, been looking for 3 years now.  When we do can I hire you to come out and do some clearing?  After your bicep heals of course.   How's it doing?  What did the doc say?

Yep, great handy tool for sharpening.  I love mine.  For those out there that don't have one, just make sure you get the right one for your needs.  Stihl makes them in multiple sizes.    I think the difference is in pitch.  I don't know all the terminology.  

I just use my chainsaw once or twice a year for cutting up some firewood and or clearing a branch, such as the one that fell down in last night's storm.  
View Quote

How do you figure out which one is the right one?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Deuskid:

How do you figure out which one is the right one? 

Thanks 
View Quote

If you have the original bar, it should be engraved with the correct pitch information.

Here's a good video, showing how to use it and explaining a few things:
Best Chainsaw Sharpener Ever - FINALLY!!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#35]

Wow, what a transformation!  Looking absolutely gorgeous.  
So we're hoping to buy our patch of land, been looking for 3 years now.  When we do can I hire you to come out and do some clearing?  After your bicep heals of course.   How's it doing?  What did the doc say?
]
View Quote

Well, My stubborn butt worked though it. I was paying $280.00 a day for that Tractor. Muscle never reset, I can now rotate my arm, but don't have the strength I did before. I am 90% sure I tore the tendon. I don't have 4 months sick leave (Burned it all a few years ago when I herniated L5/S1) to do a proper recovery. So I am just doing what I can and being very mindful of what I do. Spoke with a few freinds (Dr's, Nurse Practitioners) and they basically said, if you can live with it, keep doing what you are doing. You will know when its time to see the Ortho Doc...  
As for the clearing land, I love operating a tractor. Be it pulling sand from a river, Loading trucks, Pulling plows/discs, cutting, bailing or whatever... I would go crazy if anyone ever let me use a Forestry mulcher. At 50, it may be something I look into when I retire from the Fire Dept...
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#36]

Thanks 
View Quote

I was nervous enough I took my chainsaw with me so the guys at the counter could help me.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#37]

Thanks 
View Quote

It's determined by the chain. THe info with your chain should include which size file it takes.
I have several sizes for my different saws. Check of Pferd for a little cheaper price on them. Same exact thing as the stihl except they're blue. Definitely a must have tool for quick touch ups in the field.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Drone footage came in...

Area to the right was solid shrub, pines... Wanted to clear anything that could hit the house. You may or may not notice a piece of plywood in the cleared area... No, that isn't to cover the Septic tank lid, nor is that caution tape around it. No one found the septic tank with the grapple....
Attachment Attached File

Same area, different angle. The Holly tree in front of the house was removed yesterday. I wasn't to worried about it and storms, I just hate the thorn like leaves on the tree. Besides, there is a beautiful Magnolia just a bit farther and now it gets plenty of sun and has room to grow.
Attachment Attached File

View from the far end of the pond, looking back at the house. You can really see my neighbors here, but on the ground, you feel totally isolated. This is where I look to figure out if and where I can put a small range in..
Attachment Attached File

Looking to the left of the house. I met my neighbor the other day and started chatting. He has a full workshop on the other side of those tree's. Also has a Mini-excavator and 3 small tractors he said he was willing to be used....
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

All the pines in this picture have been dropped. Nothing but hardwoods between the house and the pond now.
Also. I cleared the pond bank from all shrubs to the far left corner. Wife was worried about places for snakes to hide... That was ll I needed to hear.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

@Blackfox  If you can figure out how to get Skyline in here, you are welcome to a fresh water-rinse, anytime.
Attachment Attached File

They did it in Second Hand Lions...
Attachment Attached File

Kids running and playing
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 2:44:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Looks Awesome ????
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:03:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Looks good.  How's the arm feeling?
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By TheRealSundance:
Looks good.  How's the arm feeling?
View Quote

Arms healing well. Never went to the Doc. It is not 100%, the bicep never returned to normal, but I am getting full range of motion. I can't afford 4 months off work, so I am just nursing it for now....

Taking a day off today...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:28:29 PM EDT
[#42]

Good.  I have issues at the opposite end of my bicep.  Slap tear in shoulder.   either cut the tendon,  drill hole in humerus and anchor with screw or cut it and let it be.  I just get steroid injections when needed.

Doesn't the county have short and long term disability?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:02:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:12:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Neighbor sounds like a great asset!

Do you own the pond? Looks like a trail runs all the way around it.  Wondering if neighbors walk/run the trail.

View Quote

Own the while pond. Just over 3 acres of water, 25-30 feet deep. Trail runs all the way around it. Neighbors have been walking it, we have been getting some stern looks when we pull into our own property, ever sense we put up. O trespassing signs... beware of dogs. One neighbor, the good one, says folks have been walking it for years and consider it there own. We will be altering that thought process, out of sheer liability.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 1:40:28 PM EDT
[#47]
It finally happened.
First snake found at the house.

It came in peace, and left in peace. If it leaves me and mine alone, it will be left alone.
If it has a triangular head, its dead.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It finally happened.
First snake found at the house.

It came in peace, and left in peace. If it leaves me and mine alone, it will be left alone.
If it has a triangular head, its dead.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269478/20200527_133325_resized_jpg-1434822.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269478/20200527_133312_resized_jpg-1434823.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269478/20200527_133314_resized_jpg-1434824.JPG
View Quote

Nice kingsnake. I've never caught one of those.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 5:43:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Just a bump to keep myself relevant.  Nothing new to report.

Having a friend come out and bid out what he would charge to grind all my stumps. Local rental charges 250 a day, said the machine needs resharpening every 15 to 20 stumps. That would be 5 days of rental right now. Also have a few tree's close enough to the house that make me nervous dropping them myself. Friend has a tree business. Will also have him look at my debris pile and see how much to chip it all...  

I think I posted pics of what we did inside. Contractor says everything we want to do is doable, we are just waiting for a quote to see how much this will hurt....

House we are currently living in goes on the market in 13 days. Housing market is booming in our area, don't want to lose prime time. Houses have been going quick in the neighborhood. We may end up doing some quick remodel ourselves to the upstairs and living while the downstairs gets done... Time will tell.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top