Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Living vicariously.

You might wanna reconsider the guy you hired, though. Seems prone to issues.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 9:03:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Living vicariously.

You might wanna reconsider the guy you hired, though. Seems prone to issues.
View Quote

Aint that the truth. Always has a danged excuse for everything too.

Link Posted: 6/3/2020 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#3]
That pond looks very clear!   You should dive it to see if theres something in the bottom of it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That pond looks very clear!   You should dive it to see if theres something in the bottom of it.
View Quote

We have been told we will find many a golf ball... Wife found a 15ish foot flag pole last weekend.

We will be diving. Wife is a PADI instructor. It will be were the kids learn...
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 9:57:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 7:58:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ahhhh, man.  That water, and divers on hand mean great training ground for SAR dogs.   Wish y'all were closer.  I would hit you up for certain.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have been told we will find many a golf ball... Wife found a 15ish foot flag pole last weekend.

Ahhhh, man.  That water, and divers on hand mean great training ground for SAR dogs.   Wish y'all were closer.  I would hit you up for certain.

SAR has always interested me. You would be welcome ti train anytime.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:01:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Awesome! So you use your boat for diving?

I've always wanted to dive the coast of NC.    I'm currently in training to become a PADI divemaster.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 4:02:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Awesome! So you use your boat for diving?

I've always wanted to dive the coast of NC.    I'm currently in training to become a PADI divemaster.
View Quote

The boat was bought for diving. Then, we had kids...
Seriously, we have a few dives off it. Currently, I don't trust the motors to take us offshore. They are 20 years old and are not reliable. We both agree we need new motors, but dont have an extra $30K lying around at the moment. We were saving for them, then this property thing kinda happened and we had to prioritize.

ETA:. Good luck with your Divemaster. All I had left was my 800 yard swim. I was getting it to assist in a yearly trip we used to chaperone 100+ HS students from Des Moines Iowa. Central School on a dive trip to Florida. Started up North and finished at Key Largo.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 5:38:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Soooooo jelly... congrats.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 11:53:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Old house went "On the Market" today...

We have 4 showings already, today....

It's hitting home with Mrs. NCUrk. We may be homeless if we sell before we get the new house ready. She looked at me the other night and asked if I would be comfortable in a 5th wheel? Said we should buy one and put it on the property while renovations are going on...

My response, "Well, you know a GMC 1500 wont pull a 5th wheel..."

Mrs. NCUrk, "I know, we are gonna have to get you a 1 ton..."

Folks, I am just here to tell you all. I married right!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 1:30:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Old house went "On the Market" today...

We have 4 showings already, today....

It's hitting home with Mrs. NCUrk. We may be homeless if we sell before we get the new house ready. She looked at me the other night and asked if I would be comfortable in a 5th wheel? Said we should buy one and put it on the property while renovations are going on...

My response, "Well, you know a GMC 1500 wont pull a 5th wheel..."

Mrs. NCUrk, "I know, we are gonna have to get you a 1 ton..."

Folks, I am just here to tell you all. I married right!!!!!
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/18/2020 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Doing a little yard work today, cleaned out a small section of brush and found something....

Has a little rust on the blade, but still does well enough to cut through a 1 inch limb in 1 hit...

Attachment Attached File

Made by Cold Steel.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:42:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Not much to update on...

Been a busy time since I last posted.

My father has been diagnosed with Dementia and I had to fly to California and deal with that.

We put our current house on the market. Received an offer 3 weeks ago for full price, and a move out date for Aug 1st. The new place won't be ready, but we were ready to move in and live in a working project for up to 5 months...   Realtor called last night and after we moved 80% of the stuff out of the selling house, buyers backed out.
Good news- We can give contractor more time to do things right.
Bad news- Double mortgage for a bit more and now we have to move stuff back so the house will "Show" better....

Lots of this still happening...
Burning...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 7:11:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Very nice OP, if I recall you aren't far from me.  Looks great and I hope you can get some good sweat equity out of it quickly.  Yes, it is considered a homestead.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Little update.
Had a tree service come in and do some work on trees I was uncomfortable dropping (To close to the house for me to drop).
Stump grind a section and chip my debris piles...

Trailer parking.
Attachment Attached File

Front yard
Attachment Attached File

Front without trees or bushes up past the patio...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

View from driveway.
Attachment Attached File

Side yard.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Still have lots to do.

Garage is going from 3 car to 2 car. I get my man cave.

Upstairs is having a full bath added. 3 bedrooms completely updated and getting ready for move in. Then the downstairs gets started....
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 9:53:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Own the while pond. Just over 3 acres of water, 25-30 feet deep. Trail runs all the way around it. Neighbors have been walking it, we have been getting some stern looks when we pull into our own property, ever sense we put up. O trespassing signs... beware of dogs. One neighbor, the good one, says folks have been walking it for years and consider it there own. We will be altering that thought process, out of sheer liability.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neighbor sounds like a great asset!

Do you own the pond? Looks like a trail runs all the way around it.  Wondering if neighbors walk/run the trail.

Own the while pond. Just over 3 acres of water, 25-30 feet deep. Trail runs all the way around it. Neighbors have been walking it, we have been getting some stern looks when we pull into our own property, ever sense we put up. O trespassing signs... beware of dogs. One neighbor, the good one, says folks have been walking it for years and consider it there own. We will be altering that thought process, out of sheer liability.

If that's the neighbors on the far side of the pond, whose property looks like a junkyard on the satellite picture on the first page, that's likely the kind of person who's stupid/stubborn enough to really believe that their "we've done it that way for years" overrides your property rights... Good luck & good fences :)
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 9:00:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Property is looking amazing. One day I hope to be able to have something like that.

Any more offers on the old house?
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Just stumbled on this thread, congrats OP! Lots of great work.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 6:55:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Property is looking amazing. One day I hope to be able to have something like that.

Any more offers on the old house?
View Quote

First contract fell through. Just signed contract to sell it again 3 days ago. Closing mid Sept.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 9:27:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

First contract fell through. Just signed contract to sell it again 3 days ago. Closing mid Sept.
View Quote

Hope that all goes smooth for you. Close that chapter and concentrate on the next one.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 10:57:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Just read the whole thread.....great place and I love the pond. Here's a bump to keep you out of the archives, OP.

Question. The house almost looks like it's in two "parts". Was it all built at the same time or is some of it a later addition? It has kind of that "dog-run" or "dog-trot" look to it, except that the center section is filled in instead of open air.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 9:22:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just read the whole thread.....great place and I love the pond. Here's a bump to keep you out of the archives, OP.

Question. The house almost looks like it's in two "parts". Was it all built at the same time or is some of it a later addition? It has kind of that "dog-run" or "dog-trot" look to it, except that the center section is filled in instead of open air.
View Quote

As we get more into renovation, the more see how the prior add ons were done.

The wall the fireplace is on, that was the original rear exterior wall. Prior owner closed in the patio and made a large room extending the length of the house. They did a great job on that, but the way they tied the kitchen section into it, leaves a bit to he desired. They then added the new patio and another sun room. They look good at a casual glance, but the roof over the newest addition needs to be ripped off and completely redone. Parts that looked like tar patches are actually tar paper....

Attachment Attached File

Not sure if this picture shows it well, but that header on the right of the fire place? Its being held up by a 4 inch wide section of 1/2 inch plywood....

Some nights I sit in bed and wonder if this is my wife and I...

Link Posted: 8/22/2020 11:34:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269478/20200505_124759_resized_jpg-1403153_jpeg-1557986.JPG
Not sure if this picture shows it well, but that header on the right of the fire place? Its being held up by a 4 inch wide section of 1/2 inch plywood....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8ryb3YquJ4
View Quote

Holy crap.....I don't think I would have even seen that if you hadn't pointed it out. Looks like it's hanging in thin air.

I remember The Money Pit but was kinda thinking of a different 80s movie....

Link Posted: 8/23/2020 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

As we get more into renovation, the more see how the prior add ons were done.

The wall the fireplace is on, that was the original rear exterior wall. Prior owner closed in the patio and made a large room extending the length of the house. They did a great job on that, but the way they tied the kitchen section into it, leaves a bit to he desired. They then added the new patio and another sun room. They look good at a casual glance, but the roof over the newest addition needs to be ripped off and completely redone. Parts that looked like tar patches are actually tar paper....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269478/20200505_124759_resized_jpg-1403153_jpeg-1557986.JPG

View Quote

What's a missing trim stud between friends?
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I know you have a lot on your plate, keep this in mind about that wood you got stacked up.

If you are going to do something with it, do it quick ... like under a year.  

When I bought my house, had a lot of dead trees around it, oaks, hickory, poplar and maple.  

Oaks especially don’t like their roots driven over by heavy equipment.  They died a lingering death.  

I stacked my hardwood like yours to season.  

When I finally got to it to bring it to a sawmill 2 years later, it was punky and infested with termites.

I’m next door to you in Tennessee.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 8:01:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Before I read your last comment I looked at the pic and thought, shouldn't there be a "jack" under that header??
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Plans for first floor....
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 11:57:35 PM EDT
[#30]
How about knock down the wall between carport and garage, then expand garage?

Or enclose the carport and use it as a shop or something?
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 12:23:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
How about knock down the wall between carport and garage, then expand garage?

Or enclose the carport and use it as a shop or something?
View Quote

Single garage at bottom of picture is in the process of being closed in. New windows, fully insulated walls, electrical upgrades. It will be my gun room and temp tool room. Tool room will move when I get my exterior garage built. That's a year or so out. Need something large enough to hold a shop, 28 foot gooseneck, 26 foot boat on trailer and future travel trailer.... Lots of plans.....
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 6:40:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 12:54:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Drywall in garage going up...

How to upset your drywall crew. Ask if the insulation you paid for is in the wall. It wasn't. It is now.
Future NCUrk workshop
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Reg garage
Attachment Attached File

One of the things that sold this house. It has an actual furnace. A rarity in the south.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Side note.
Cutting grass today and found a rather large black snake in the grass. Roughly 5 feet long and as thick ad my wrist. It slithered off into the bushes.... Was quicker than I was, trying to get my camera.

Also, ground hornets suck.... My neck is throbbing.
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 12:02:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Gas furnaces a rarity in the south huh...who woulda thunk it, we install them daily here in SW TN.

Pretty awesome looking spread y’all have there sir. I’m scheming on building a fishing pond on our farm, can’t get it done soon enough.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Had a nice day at the house today. First time in a while we had temps in the low 80's and low humidity. Good day to clear out some dead limbs and let the kids  enjoy the pond...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Gas furnaces a rarity in the south huh...who woulda thunk it, we install them daily here in SW TN.

Pretty awesome looking spread y’all have there sir. I’m scheming on building a fishing pond on our farm, can’t get it done soon enough.
View Quote

My house came with a heat pump and I hated that thing.  

It broke down one time too many and I lost my temper and told my HVAC guy to rip that crap out and give me something reliable.  

They replaced it with an American Standard AC unit with a gas pack on the bottom.  

Electric bill went way down and reliability is there.  

Everyone touts heat pump energy savings, when those electric coils kick in during the middle of winter, the savings are totally blown away.  

I got a years worth of fuel underground and fill that tank up end of July early August when propane prices are at their lowest.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Some time with the .22's also...

Attachment Attached File

Still working on proper hold.

Attachment Attached File

My redheaded tacticool kid

7PM, 82 degrees and enjoying the evening...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 1:31:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 1:38:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#40]
At long last... We are starting to move forward. We are about to close on our house we have been living in (For the 3rd time.... ) and our contractor that is doing the upstairs and garage for us called and said our windows finally showed up....
Great news (If you haven't realized, windows can be a pain with Covid.. Many of the MFG have slowed down.)

Bad news. Found some rot under the window ledges in the garage. Hope the rest of the house is OK. It has to be able to house us on the 18th of next month. That's when we have to be out of the old house. Upstairs should be done, then downstairs gets started. Big plans fo down stairs.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 7:53:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Middle childs room now has new windows....
Slowly but surely, things are happening.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 5:05:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Great news on the progress

We will be undertaking a similar project. Our's requires so much work but the trade-off we are getting it for a very good price and will have it paid off in 5 years. I almost walked away several times, but each time a better deal was cut. We signed the papers and wrote checks this week and our current home is closing next week. So we will be homeless until the repairs are made.

The amount of work keeps me up @ night. However when we are done it will be awesome so I have to keep focused on the positive. I will hate to start writing those big repair checks. We have had the contractors out and accepted the bids we just have to wait as they are all booked up due to the hurricane.

Keep up the good work!
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#43]
No pics today (I'm at work), but spoke with Mrs. NCUrk and she informed me:
All the upstairs windows have been installed.
Septic tank has been pumped (We also found a bad pump, but it was ordered today.)
New septic lid was placed. I "Found" it while dropping trees....
New water softener will be installed today.
Floor pan for daughters shower passed the leak test and hot and cold water lines should be installed in her shower today.
Monday the drywall crew comes in to finish closing everything upstairs up.
Then floor and paint to be finished soon....

We are scheduled to move in on the 15th of this month. Live out of the second story as the first floor is remodeled....

My wife gets shit done.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 11:24:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Adding one more thing to the plate....

We are planning to move in on the 15th. Wife just told me she volunteered the walk around the lake as a haunted trail for our Church on the 23rd.... So it will be a busy week. Moving, trying to figure out the house and oh by the way, set up a haunted trail....

Need to find me a Freddie Kruger costume.... I'm to short to be Jason.....
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 11:14:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 11:16:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 2:50:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Stuck at work today. Mrs. NCUrk sent me some pictures.
Apparently the painters showed up today. The garage is being painted today and hoping they will get in the house tomorrow....
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

She also found this little guy hanging from a tree, upside down, munching on something.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Moved in yesterday. Contractors are not done, house is not ready but... The current living arrangements...

Master
Attachment Attached File

Future dining room
Attachment Attached File

Future living room, now kids room
Attachment Attached File

Office
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 8:18:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Clearing some of the trail around the lake today. Had a Supervisor from hell....

Tractor is a rental. Hoping to convince the other half to get one soon. She knows we need one, its just doing it...Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 6:18:31 PM EDT
[#50]
That is effing beautiful!  We have been considering GTFO of this shithole state and would love something like that.  I see you are well along the way to an amazing homestead.

Take care of that muscle before it gets worse.  

Best of luck,

Bill
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top