Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 5:51:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Scared and exited... Sign contract tomorrow.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 7:42:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 2:55:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Contract signed....

Shewl.........

??
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NCUrk:
Contract signed....

Shewl.........

??
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not just yet, need to set a range up first... Then explain the Arf dedication to work and shoot weekend to the wife...
View Quote

Need to build the berm while the skid steer is there.

And cut that pine tree down next to the house.  Will clog gutter, car cowls and drop pine tar on car.

Property looks a lot cleaner.  Did you do that?
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Contract signed....

Shewl.........

View Quote

Congrats!

Time to buy a tractor
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 3:54:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TheRealSundance:

Need to build the berm while the skid steer is there.

And cut that pine tree down next to the house.  Will clog gutter, car cowls and drop pine tar on car.

Property looks a lot cleaner.  Did you do that?
View Quote

Berm will be built. Combination of downed tree's stacked and sand being pulled from pond bank to make a gentle slope. Skid steer is scheduled to be dropped off Sat at 0900.

Any tree that can reach the house, if it fell, is being dropped. Lived through to many Hurricanes to that gamble.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 4:08:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:

Congrats! 

Time to buy a tractor 
View Quote

I like the way you think....

It is on the list. A priority even. But think it will have to wait till we sell the house we are in. 2 mortgages is bad ebough.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#10]
So, we signed the paperwork, ran to Lowes, purchased new locks and went to the house and installed everything. The power has been turned on.

Have a few light's not working. Need to figure out if its the light or the switches.

Thankfully the well pump was still primed. Water out of all the faucets and all toilets work.

Upstairs AC unit is blowing cool air. Downstairs unit has nothing coming out of the ducts. So, need to figure out if its a simple fix (Please) or if the blower is shot,

Then I had to return to work. Will be stuck on the Engine tonight and the Ambulance for 24 starting at 0800 tomorrow morning.

Wife sent me this after I got to work...

"We have Ducks"
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:42:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Happy for you!
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:10:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Sweet

Congratulations!
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 7:56:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Have a few light's not working. Need to figure out if its the light or the switches.
View Quote

More unsolicited advice from a guy that bought a house that had not been inhabited for some time: buy a bulk pack of LED lightbulbs.  I just got mine at Lowes or Menards, there are probably better quality or better deals elsewhere, but it was handy for me.  I bet in the first 6 months I had replaced half of the bulbs in the house due to the old ones burning out.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:24:03 AM EDT
[#14]
 Folks, owning this much property is new to me and I admit, I am/will be overwhelmed. Such a different way of thinking/living from cookie cutter neighborhoods.

I am sure to ask stupid questions and things many will think of as common sense. Forgive my ignorance please....

With the above stated:

I have alot, 100+ Pine trees that need dropping. All at least 50' tall. I was just going to drop, cut and burn. The more I thought about it, the more I started thinking drop, stack and have someone with a portable mill come out. I plan on building an out building in the next few years, would this be the best source for lumber? Am I being ignorant or does this sound like a good cost effective idea?

Local man has a WoodMizer LT40 and charges $150.00 and hour to cut. Minimum 1 day for cut on site, with $150.00 site fee. So $1350.00 for Lord knows how many 2x4, 4x4, 6X6 and such.  

Again, I am a little overwhelmed, so looking to the hive for some reality check.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:39:03 AM EDT
[#15]
On the 50 pine trees: Maybe think about dropping them, burning the limbs and tops and stacking the logs out of the way with the skidsteer.  You're gonna have a hell of a lot of work just burning the tops from 50 trees.  If you can, set the logs out of the way in a level spot on skids in an area where you could mill them later without having to move them a bunch.  Worst case, a year or two from now you decide that you don't want to mill them and you burn them.  Best case, you get the limbs and tops burned, work on honey-do's and house stuff all summer, then have the local mobile miller show up in the fall to mill the logs out of your pile.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:51:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Don't milled trees also require several years to dry out before they can be used?
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks like one of those movies where the nice suburban family moves into a peaceful quaint house in the woods and finds out it's haunted or has a local pyscho neighbor out to kill them all.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Folks, owning this much property is new to me and I admit, I am/will be overwhelmed. Such a different way of thinking/living from cookie cutter neighborhoods.

I am sure to ask stupid questions and things many will think of as common sense. Forgive my ignorance please....

With the above stated:

I have alot, 100+ Pine trees that need dropping. All at least 50' tall. I was just going to drop, cut and burn. The more I thought about it, the more I started thinking drop, stack and have someone with a portable mill come out. I plan on building an out building in the next few years, would this be the best source for lumber? Am I being ignorant or does this sound like a good cost effective idea?

Local man has a WoodMizer LT40 and charges $150.00 and hour to cut. Minimum 1 day for cut on site, with $150.00 site fee. So $1350.00 for Lord knows how many 2x4, 4x4, 6X6 and such.  

Again, I am a little overwhelmed, so looking to the hive for some reality check.
View Quote

You might think about getting a brush chipper to take care of the tree tops and you will have some chips to use around the property.  Easier than burning and won't smoke out neighbors
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#19]

You might think about getting a brush chipper to take care of the tree tops and you will have some chips to use around the property.  Easier than burning and won't smoke out neighbors
View Quote

Great idea. I even know someone with a Tree business. I mentioned it to him and he said he can bring it over any weekend. As long as I have a pile, he and I can feed it in...
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#20]
So it begins...

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#21]
What diameter pines? Harbor freight sawmill is 2k to buy.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Don't milled trees also require several years to dry out before they can be used?
View Quote

Good question.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:01:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

With the above stated:

View Quote

I wouldn't mess with them personally.  You'll have enough on your plate as a new home owner.

Reach out to some local lumber companies.  A lot of them have foresters on staff that will come out and look at them for free and give you an evaluation on them.  They may be willing to buy them and do all the work or know someone who will. Can also hire your own independent forester who can evaluate and solicit bids to get them sold.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Merlin:

Good question.
View Quote

depends on what you are using them for. Building a shed or barn, no, fine furniture yes.
fairly cheap and easy to build a solar kiln.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Great thread!

I'd have a blast dropping that many trees!

I had a buddy who used to cut his own timber. He ended up building 3 pole barns to store/dry it. Eventually he loaded it all on a truck and hauled it to upstate to NY to build his retirement home. Dude was amazing with tools and his sawmill. The main barn was all old-style. No metal hardware holding it together.

Looks like you've got a great place for the family.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Great idea. I even know someone with a Tree business. I mentioned it to him and he said he can bring it over any weekend. As long as I have a pile, he and I can feed it in...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might think about getting a brush chipper to take care of the tree tops and you will have some chips to use around the property.  Easier than burning and won't smoke out neighbors

Easy with a skid steer and a grapple bucket.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 8:29:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 8:32:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Never heard anybody say they worked with a lumber company or forestry agency and had a good experience (if they cared about the shape things were left in, that is.  If they only want the $$ from the trees,  that's a different matter.)

View Quote

My dad has, twice  Both companies did a great job at not tearing up any trees that were not to be cut, all land that was damaged was repaired and re-seeded.

He hired an independent forester to collect bids and manage everything both times.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Sorry for not updating much. Busy day... No cell service at the new place. At least on my phone, wife has 3 bars. Same phone, same company (Verizon)?!?!? Add a cell phone booster to the list of needed things.

So Rental folks called at 0845 to say they were 10 minutes out. Life is good.
Delivery takes place. SVL-75 with:
Bush hog
Grapple
Bucket

Delivery guy runs me through how to change everything over from one implement to another. We get to the bush hog and he starts the hydraulics. A horrible sound comes from the thing. I look at him  with a WTF look. He says its normal as the blades need to start spinning to get balanced... OK.
Attachment Attached File

Change over to the grapple and start getting the big stuff and piling it up...
Attachment Attached File

Open up a big enough area and switch over to the Bush hog. First time with a hydraulic hog, have used PTO several times and to be honest. I was impressed. About an hour onto it, the blades just stop spinning. Motor is working, just no power to the blades. OK, figured the sheer bolt must have gone. Was disappointed as the Rental agency said I could cut anything smaller than my wrist. I was doing good and purposely going gentle. Called the agency up and the mechanic was onsite within 45 minutes. I am impressed.... The the bad news, that noise we heard at drop off? That was metal in the reduction box.... No spare. Gearbox is FUBAR. So hoping they can have one shipped in on Monday. I will be doing lots of grapple work
Attachment Attached File

Debris pile and grapple.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Bush hog while it was working.
Attachment Attached File

Some demo work and house shots.
Opening a wall to make the dining room more open
Attachment Attached File

That was the Master Closet...
Attachment Attached File

Kitchen
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:24:36 PM EDT
[#32]
WTH? You flipped it upside down! There goes your deposit.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Sorry for not updating much. Busy day... No cell service at the new place. At least on my phone, wife has 3 bars. Same phone, same company (Verizon)?!?!? Add a cell phone booster to the list of needed things.

So Rental folks called at 0845 to say they were 10 minutes out. Life is good.
Delivery takes place. SVL-75 with:
Bush hog
Grapple
Bucket

Delivery guy runs me through how to change everything over from one implement to another. We get to the bush hog and he starts the hydraulics. A horrible sound comes from the thing. I look at him  with a WTF look. He says its normal as the blades need to start spinning to get balanced... OK.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269478/20200502_090548_resized_jpg-1398243.JPG

Change over to the grapple and start getting the big stuff and piling it up...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269478/20200502_095802_resized_jpg-1398245.JPG

Open up a big enough area and switch over to the Bush hog. First time with a hydraulic hog, have used PTO several times and to be honest. I was impressed. About an hour onto it, the blades just stop spinning. Motor is working, just no power to the blades. OK, figured the sheer bolt must have gone. Was disappointed as the Rental agency said I could cut anything smaller than my wrist. I was doing good and purposely going gentle. Called the agency up and the mechanic was onsite within 45 minutes. I am impressed.... The the bad news, that noise we heard at drop off? That was metal in the reduction box.... No spare. Gearbox is FUBAR. So hoping they can have one shipped in on Monday. I will be doing lots of grapple work
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269478/20200502_095811_jpg-1398254.JPG

Debris pile and grapple.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269478/20200502_103905_resized_jpg-1398258.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269478/20200502_112555_resized_jpg-1398261.JPG

Bush hog while it was working.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269478/20200502_103917_resized_jpg-1398263.JPG

Some demo work and house shots.
Opening a wall to make the dining room more open
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269478/20200502_192010_resized_jpg-1398265.JPG

That was the Master Closet...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269478/20200502_192015_resized_jpg-1398266.JPG

Kitchen
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269478/20200502_192029_resized_jpg-1398268.JPG
View Quote

In this one post, we learn that the OP has now been drilled into his head to never buy a tractor without a SSQA.  

The lesson was well worth it.  The question is:  did the other prospective Arfcom tractor owners get the same lesson?
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:41:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By JaxShooter:
WTH? You flipped it upside down! There goes your deposit. 
View Quote

I was "Inverted"
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:56:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Merlin:

In this one post, we learn that the OP has now been drilled into his head to never buy a tractor without a SSQA.  

The lesson was well worth it.  The question is:  did the other prospective Arfcom tractor owners get the same lesson?
View Quote

Quick attach is the shnizzle...

When I finally get my Tractor, it will have a quick attach FEL. I know I want a bucket, grapple and forks...
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:15:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

That's fantastic!

I think, because we have a lot of older timber around here, that people are greedy, and the law here doesn't provide a lot of constraints.  One of the bad things about living in a place where people are old school about guns, freedom, individual rights, etc, is that they also don't buy into things like recycling, and taking care of forested lands.

Or maybe KY just has a lot of rotten lumber companies.  

I do think the law falls in their favor because everybody just signs their regular contract and once they make a mess, there's no real recourse.

I wish we had good ones like you do.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:

My dad has, twice   Both companies did a great job at not tearing up any trees that were not to be cut, all land that was damaged was repaired and re-seeded.

He hired an independent forester to collect bids and manage everything both times.

That's fantastic!

I think, because we have a lot of older timber around here, that people are greedy, and the law here doesn't provide a lot of constraints.  One of the bad things about living in a place where people are old school about guns, freedom, individual rights, etc, is that they also don't buy into things like recycling, and taking care of forested lands.

Or maybe KY just has a lot of rotten lumber companies.  

I do think the law falls in their favor because everybody just signs their regular contract and once they make a mess, there's no real recourse.

I wish we had good ones like you do.

Some states have the logger posting a bond.   He screws up, he pays out of the bond.  

Not my state of course, we still got a slew of lying woods slashers.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:36:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:13:29 AM EDT
[#40]

OP, I hope you check the actual RECENT sites of anybody you hire to cut your trees.  Cuz from region to region, it varies a lot in what you can expect.
View Quote

Well the guy I have doing the cutting and clearing now is the guy I can afford. He is super motivated, but it's obvious this is his first time doing thus sort of thing... Hell, he even broke a rental bush hog the first day. But my wife wont let me fire myself.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#41]

What's an SSQA? 

ETA: Whatever an SSQA is, I will be certain to get one, because the lack of one turned the OP upside down!!!!
View Quote

Skid Steer quick attach - universal quick attach system used on skid loaders to change out the attachments. No way anyone should buy a loader tractor without one.
Pull a couple levers, drop off your current attachment pick up your new attachment and flip the levers over again. Only takes seconds.

John Deeres have their own design that essentially does the same thing, but I don't think the systems are compatible
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 11:07:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Day 2...
Nothing special, just trying to clear some areas around the house. Really missing the bush hog.
I do have an inquiry on a Forestry Mulching head. Hoping to get a reply on Monday.  

ETA to add pictures.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#43]
1200 Water break and new chain... I really need to be more careful with how i use this. I hit the dirt way to much.

1 downfall with a skid steer and grapple. Its damned near impossible to but a log on, raise it to a good height to cut on sections, then get out of the damned thing...
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

1 downfall with a skid steer and grapple. Its damned near impossible to but a log on, raise it to a good height to cut on sections, then get out of the damned thing...
View Quote

Because you're not suppose to get out while the bucket is raised.  Aren't you an EMT that has been to heavy equipment accidents?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
1200 Water break and new chain... I really need to be more careful with how i use this. I hit the dirt way to much.

View Quote

That's what the back window is for
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 6:40:11 PM EDT
[#46]

Because you're not suppose to get out while the bucket is raised.  Aren't you an EMT that has been to heavy equipment accidents?
View All Quotes

1 downfall with a skid steer and grapple. Its damned near impossible to but a log on, raise it to a good height to cut on sections, then get out of the damned thing...

Because you're not suppose to get out while the bucket is raised.  Aren't you an EMT that has been to heavy equipment accidents?

This.

OP, next time you have something lifted in the air, look at the range of motion it would follow if everything just fell down. Because that’s what can happen if hydraulics fail. Of course, then you have the tree lifted in the air. I’m going to go out on a limb(ha ha) and say you may not have much experience felling trees; they love to kick out in directions you may not expect when they fall. Caution is a good idea.

Skid-steers like your rental are a ton of fun, for sure. I’ve used one in the past to clear out a wooded and junk-filled lot, it was a blast! But you have to respect what can happen if things go wrong.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

That's why the other half has been spending time in the seat...
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Cpn_Ron:

This.

OP, next time you have something lifted in the air, look at the range of motion it would follow if everything just fell down. Because that’s what can happen if hydraulics fail. Of course, then you have the tree lifted in the air. I’m going to go out on a limb(ha ha) and say you may not have much experience felling trees; they love to kick out in directions you may not expect when they fall. Caution is a good idea.

Skid-steers like your rental are a ton of fun, for sure. I’ve used one in the past to clear out a wooded and junk-filled lot, it was a blast! But you have to respect what can happen if things go wrong.
View Quote

Very little experience dropping trees. Been running heavy equipment since I was 13. As for the trees, I am youtube taught. I drop them and then grab with grapple, lift about 3 inches and set the bucket on the stump. I then step out over the bucket and onto the ground. I would NEVER get out with a load over the cab, thats begging to be killed.
My experience with Chainsaws are all FD related. Cutting a vent hole and other rescue work is very different than dropping trees.
I have a very healthy respect for chainsaws. I keep one of these in my cargo pocket and  all my kids and my wife have practiced using one...
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:58:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Now for some pictures..

Got to the house, did my walk around, checked fluids, did some function checks and the headed to the office.
Attachment Attached File

Working the area on the other side of the house. Lots of downed pines, oaks and assorted bushes, shrubs and vines. Working from property line towards the house, trying to save the grass around the house.
Attachment Attached File

Cut a trail and started a lay down area and went to work.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Correction. View from dock towards house.
Attachment Attached File

Sectioning the trees
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

While I am playing on the Skid Steer, My better half is demoing in the house.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Found a freeloader coming back from lunch...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 11:24:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Very little experience dropping trees. Been running heavy equipment since I was 13. As for the trees, I am youtube taught. I drop them and then grab with grapple, lift about 3 inches and set the bucket on the stump. I then step out over the bucket and onto the ground. I would NEVER get out with a load over the cab, thats begging to be killed.
My experience with Chainsaws are all FD related. Cutting a vent hole and other rescue work is very different than dropping trees.
I have a very healthy respect for chainsaws. I keep one of these in my cargo pocket and  all my kids and my wife have practiced using one...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269478/20200503_203329_resized_jpg-1399794.JPG
View Quote

Save yourself the trouble;e and buy some chaps first thing tomorrow.  Call the rental place, they can ship them out with the brush hog.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top