User Panel

Page / 71
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 7:52:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

What front sight is that and link to vendor maybe? Thanks
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a Millett front long out of production. This one is the "correct" sight for this version of replica gun. It's a .225" high, serrated ramp stake on sight. You can find them for sale occasionally.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 8:09:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Hello all!
I know there has been some real confusion recently about who to contact for the MEUSOC rear sights.  Lear60Pilot is my good friend who was posting about the sights to help me since I did not have an account.  (This is not only my first time posting to AR-15.com, but also my first time posting to any forum ever.)  Shue8531 is a machinist who worked with me to build these sights.  They have both been very helpful in getting people the sights they want, but since there have now been different posts saying to contact different people I thought the easiest thing to do would be to make an account and introduce myself.  

The sights are posted in the for sale on the equipment exchange.  They were posted January 3rd.  

I am sorry for all the confusion.  I was hoping to keep it simple by having lear60pilot post these.  Thanks again and thank you to everyone who has made this possible!

Ben
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 10:07:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Ben, welcome aboard!  Thanks for the sights and thanks for sharing the stainless blackening process.  You're an easy person to work with.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 11:29:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Ben blackened a stainless Kreiger AR10 barrel for me and it turned out amazing.....looked just like parkerizing.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 11:31:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PWS2112] [#6]
I was asked if I had any sights that were Parkerized instead of blued.  Since that seems to be popular, I went ahead and parked a small batch of sights.  You can see in the picture on the right that they are a more dark gray rather than black.  If you are interested in them order the sights in the equipment exchange as normal but let me know in the email that you would prefer them parkerized .  I also have a few sights that have sharper corners from an early batch of sights.  You can see the difference in the picture on the left.   Since they are not the authentic MEUSOC style I am selling them at a discount.  Consider it a factory second.  PM me for those, they are $50 instead of $80.  I only have a few of each and I will let you know when they are gone.

Ben
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 1:39:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By hobbs5624:
It's a Millett front long out of production. This one is the "correct" sight for this version of replica gun. It's a .225" high, serrated ramp stake on sight. You can find them for sale occasionally.
View Quote

Interesting; I saw one on eBay and bid rather cavalierly.  I didn't pay attention to the auction, and the sight sold for…$81.  

There are some white outline, etc. similar sights that also might do.  However it would seem that if a FRONT sight replica was made…it would sell.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 3:08:50 PM EDT
[#8]
OODA,
Please tell me we were not outbidding each other on the same sight?!  I just lost a bid on a Millett front sight on eBay a couple of hours ago!
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 7:36:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OODA_Loop] [#9]
Originally Posted By PWS2112:
OODA,
Please tell me we were not outbidding each other on the same sight?!  I just lost a bid on a Millett front sight on eBay a couple of hours ago!
View Quote

(edit for clarity, plus I just realized who you were...)

Ben, I think we were bidding on the same auction, but my bid topped out at $25, and I was quite surprised that it went this high:

" MILLETT SIGHTS STAKE ON FRONT SIGHT .225 SERRATED RAMP #SO22515
Item number:171208146845
Sale price:$81.00
End time:Jan-09-14 09:05:26 PST"

I bet you could remove the enamel from one of the similar profile/height sights and just go with that.  That's my plan!

Consider that, if the marketplace will sustain your replica rear sights...at the $50-80 price point...it may also sustain replica front sights at a similar price.

While I've always admired the MEU(SOC) 1911 pistols, it's also easier to go with something that's the right height for a simple, high dovetail rear sight.  Conceptually, the Marine Corps pistols (as envisioned early on) and Jeff Cooper's Gunsite Service Pistol are very similar - everything you need, nothing you don't in a working pistol.

Looking forward to getting my rear sight!

Link Posted: 1/9/2014 8:09:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By OODA_Loop:

Ben, I think we were bidding on the same auction, but my bid topped out at $25, and I was quite surprised that it went this high:

I bet you could remove the enamel from one of the similar profile/height sights and just go with that.  That's my plan!

Consider that, if the marketplace will sustain your replica rear sights...at the $50-80 price point...it may also sustain replica front sights at a similar price.

While I've always admired the MEU(SOC) 1911 pistols, it's also easier to go with something that's the right height for a simple, high dovetail rear sight.  Conceptually, the Marine Corps pistols (as envisioned early on) and Jeff Cooper's Gunsite Service Pistol are very similar - everything you need, nothing you don't in a working pistol.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

OODA,

Ben,

OODA didn't earn screen name for nothing . Yes, he is correct. A single source for matched MEUSOC sights, able to install and collimate, well...

BTW, I know I owe you a response email. I'll be home tomorrow night.

Link Posted: 1/9/2014 8:22:57 PM EDT
[#11]
And of course, having just read hobbs5624's post a few pages back noting that the enameled-ramp sights don't have the same profile facing the end user...I just bid on a white one and an orange one on eBay.  I got inside my own OODA_Loop... :(

Figured I can bead-blast or otherwise remove the front sight enamel when installed...but would prefer a matching front sight.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 9:50:20 PM EDT
[#12]
is it bad that i want to build a pistol now just because we can get these rear sights? well, all builds begin with one piece.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 6:15:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Nape,
It is never bad to start a new pistol build.  Especially one that very few people have!  If you want a rear sight PM me and let me know.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, I bought two sights and now I'm looking for an old 1911 frame.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 2:34:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I received my rear sight.  Cool business card included.  

Machinist/Gunsmith/Badass
I am a champion!
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#16]
JTB,
I sent you a PM
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 11:07:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Is there any variant that would be an acceptable clone like the one above but uses a Brown memory grip safety?

William

p.s. that pistol is sick!!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By schaz42:

Is there any variant that would be an acceptable clone like the one above but uses a Brown memory grip safety?

William

View All Quotes

William

Thanks for the compliment.  "Variant 4" uses the Ed Brown grip safety.  I don't know that any of the older guns ever got an Ed Brown during a rebuild, but if anyone can break a grip safety, it's a Marine.  Maybe Ben or one of the other PWS guys who have contributed to this thread can say if they have ever seen an older variant that went through the PWS for a grip safety replacement or a rebuild that ended up getting an Ed Brown.  I thought there might have been a picture of one somewhere in the previous 48 pages, but that's a lot of posts to sort through.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 1:00:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hobbs5624] [#19]

Interesting; I saw one on eBay and bid rather cavalierly.  I didn't pay attention to the auction, and the sight sold for…$81.  

There are some white outline, etc. similar sights that also might do.  However it would seem that if a FRONT sight replica was made…it would sell.
View All Quotes

Well don't I feel like a douche.  I bid $80 at 21 seconds left in the auction.  Someone else wanted it real bad though, because he/she outbid me in the last ten seconds.  There was another one that went in the beginning of December for $10, which I passed on.  Go figure.

Edit:  If ever the supply of sights is so depleted as to be impossible to find, I have several dual crimps serrated ramp fronts of various heights.  I'm not looking to sell them, nor am I offering them now (there are plenty on the used market if you know where to look).  Just keep in mind that I will probably have a small supply for years to come and would rather see them go to MEU(SOC) clone builders rather than Joe Blow.  If you saw my previous post about using dual crimps in place of stake-ons you will see what a viable option it is for an authentic looking build.  If I ever do part with any of them, it will be for what I paid for them.  I won't be looking to make a profit.  It's more important to me that they go to a MEU(SOC) enthusiast.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Let's get back to posting some pics lol
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 2:13:15 PM EDT
[#21]
As far as using the Ed Brown memory grip on the MEUSOC, there was never really a time when we did that.  However, when we stopped building the MEUSOC and began building the M45 CQBP, there was a time of turnover where, on occasion, different parts were used as needed.  This was especially true during times where the budget was gone and guns needed to be fixed.  I am not saying I have ever put an Ed Brown memory grip on a MEUSOC, I am just saying it wouldn't surprise me to find a picture somewhere of a MEUSOC with a "less than authentic" part.

Hope this answers some questions.

Ben
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Thanks for the compliment.  "Variant 4" uses the Ed Brown grip safety.  I don't know that any of the older guns ever got an Ed Brown during a rebuild, but if anyone can break a grip safety, it's a Marine.  Maybe Ben or one of the other PWS guys who have contributed to this thread can say if they have ever seen an older variant that went through the PWS for a grip safety replacement or a rebuild that ended up getting an Ed Brown.  I thought there might have been a picture of one somewhere in the previous 48 pages, but that's a lot of posts to sort through.
View All Quotes

William

I actually did look through them, I was bored and learned a great deal. I just prefer the older variant like yours but love the way ed brown grip safety looks and feels. Maybe it'll be a variant 3.5?

William
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#23]
New Gun... Old Grips.

Link Posted: 1/14/2014 7:52:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 5:20:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Personally, I find that tan color awful.  If someone gave me a pistol like that I think the first thing would be to strip and refinish it.

To each their own.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 7:37:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DLIP] [#26]
Originally Posted By jtb0311:
Personally, I find that tan color awful.  If someone gave me a pistol like that I think the first thing would be to strip and refinish it.

To each their own.
View Quote

X2! It's a sweet pistol. Maybe pics don't do it justice.

Ah HA! Ownage! Will follow up with pics soon.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 7:48:18 AM EDT
[#27]
It is very tan.. but does look better in person than it does in pictures.

I think it in all black would be sweet, but how they did the markings not sure how they would look at that point.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Tan guns have been growing on me lately.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Place holder for sight pics!
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 4:55:13 PM EDT
[#30]
The MEUSOC PWS rear sights have been an amazing adventure for me!  I am so grateful to my friends who helped make this happen.  For those who are interested, I still have sights available.  Check out the Equipment Exchange or PM me directly.  For anyone who has contacted, emailed, or PM'd any person about these sights and have not received a response or have not been able to complete the transaction, please PM me and let me know.  There have been some issues where someone claimed to have these sights and did not have them.  

2nd thing on the docket.  I am wanting to hear from the MEUSOC enthusiasts about front sights.  I recently made some Millett clone front sights and want to know what you consider to be within the acceptable realm of a clone.  I have done three different things:
1 - I took a MIllett front sight that had a colored bar and milled serrations into the front eliminating the colored bar.  This is the absolute closest thing I have been able to create without actually having the serrated Millett sights.  
2 - I created a Millett look alike with a dovetail sight blank.  It is obviously dovetailed and it also does not have the flange at the base of the sight.
3 - I created a Millett look alike with a tenon sight blank.  Like the dovetail blank, there is no flange at the base of the sight, but it is a tenon, like the actual Millett sight.

What do you think is the best clone for the impossible to find Millett sight?

Ben
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice work with the front sights Ben.  As soon as you get some pictures up, folks can see the differences.   Here's a few you sent me.

I personally like how you modified the millett sight that doesn't have the serrations to make it an acceptable clone of the original.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 6:21:00 PM EDT
[#32]
The MEUSOC PWS rear sights have been an amazing adventure for me!  I am so grateful to my friends who helped make this happen.  For those who are interested, I still have sights available.  Check out the Equipment Exchange or PM me directly.  For anyone who has contacted, emailed, or PM'd any person about these sights and have not received a response or have not been able to complete the transaction, please PM me and let me know.  There have been some issues where someone claimed to have these sights and did not have them.  

2nd thing on the docket.  I am wanting to hear from the MEUSOC enthusiasts about front sights.  I recently made some Millett clone front sights and want to know what you consider to be within the acceptable realm of a clone.  I have done three different things:
1 - I took a MIllett front sight that had a colored bar and milled serrations into the front eliminating the colored bar.  This is the absolute closest thing I have been able to create without actually having the serrated Millett sights.  
2 - I created a Millett look alike with a dovetail sight blank.  It is obviously dovetailed and it also does not have the flange at the base of the sight.
3 - I created a Millett look alike with a tenon sight blank.  Like the dovetail blank, there is no flange at the base of the sight, but it is a tenon, like the actual Millett sight.

What do you think is the best clone for the impossible to find Millett sight?

Ben
View Quote

Ben-

The "Strong Sight" from C&S posted a few pages back, has a flange at the base of the sight. Maybe it could be worked into something that fits the bill?

C&S LINK

I think this could be profiled to resemble the Millett front and is plenty tall to work with. The benifits of the dovetail and pin go without mention.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 7:37:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PWS2112] [#33]
Here is a picture of 2 of the Millett clones.  The top picture is the dovetail.  The tenon would look the same, but without the dovetail itself.  The bottom is the adjusted Millett sight, like the one Lear60pilot posted above.  I agree that the C&S Strong would be a good sight to try as stated above, but it would still be a dovetail sight.  If anyone knew of a tenon sight blank that was .250" wide I could completely replicate the Millett.

Ben

Edit: These slides have not been refinished yet-

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 10:02:26 PM EDT
[#34]
I'd be satisfied with a dovetail sight, and in fact I thought about re-profiling an oversized Novaks years ago, just never got around to it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#35]
That serrated stake on one looks fantastic!
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 11:28:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kevyn] [#36]
Like how the dovetail sight is contoured to the slide! And pinned!

That's some nice work. Very well done!
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 11:39:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Special Response Teams at Camp Pendleton and Camp Schwab put the M45A1 through its paces.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:46:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OODA_Loop] [#38]
Ben,

I received the rear sight and it is a terrific piece of work.  Thank you!

Question:  I have a Millett "orange bar" front sight off of eBay...that I would like modified similarly to what you did above in LearPilot60's photos.

Could you do this for me (do the serrations) or is it a labor of love, or more work than makes sense to spend money on?

I may have to get another rear sight in a few weeks... ;)

e-mail sent.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 7:29:45 PM EDT
[#39]
For you fellow clone builders, what do you suppose is the hardest item to get?  I realize there are several variations.  I also realize the obvious answer before last month was a PWS rear sight.  How about now though.  I'd like to hear what folks are finding the hardest to get.  Maybe the King's 201A, a Clark/Wilson beavertail, a proper Millett front?

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#40]
For you fellow clone builders, what do you suppose is the hardest item to get?  I realize there are several variations.  I also realize the obvious answer before last month was a PWS rear sight.  How about now though.  I'd like to hear what folks are finding the hardest to get.  Maybe the King's 201A, a Clark/Wilson beavertail, a proper Millett front?

View Quote

If you build a clone of the newest ones, everything is super easy to get except for the mainspring housing.

They quit using the old parts for a reason.  They quit making 'em because better shit was easier to get...
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 8:05:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ugotbit] [#41]
For me, I have only come accross 1 new C/S Clark and 1 new blued Kings 201A. Seems like the SS ones are everywhere.

I only have found 1 serrated .225 Millett front.

I did score a Berryhill replica rear that uses a .200 Millett front. The .200 seem to pop up more often.

I'm so happy Ben and Jeff came through with the rear sights. I had been gathering parts since 2009!
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By samuse:

If you build a clone of the newest ones, everything is super easy to get except for the mainspring housing.

They quit using the old parts for a reason.  They quit making 'em because better shit was easier to get...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By samuse:

I think the argument can be made that there are better parts than those on even the most recent versions.  The point is nostalgia.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By ugotbit:
For me, I have only come accross 1 new C/S Clark and 1 new blued Kings 201A. Seems like the SS ones are everywhere.

I only have found 1 serrated .225 Millett front.

I did score a Berryhill replica rear that uses a .200 Millett front. The .200 seem to pop up more often.

I'm so happy Ben and Jeff came through with the rear sights. I had been gathering parts since 2009!
View Quote

Sadly I've found that the hardest parts around here are the King's 201A.  I've resorted to buying entire guns just to scavenge those safeties, and I see the time coming when I'll have to do the same with the grip safeties.  Over the last year, I've seen about 10 front sights on eBay.  It's just a matter of checking daily.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 11:33:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Gentlemen,

This is awesome discussion. I am glad the PWS rear sights are now obtainable.  I am almost ready to let PWS2112 start to build my Meusoc, but the only part I need and do not have yet is a Kings 201a.  :(     I have looked everywhere for one and even tried to find them on custom pistols as well with no luck.  Yes, this is the hardest part to find now..

As a way of saying thanks, I really wish someone, just someone, who has an extra one or is holding on to one that they would not use would offer me to buy it from them, lol...  I am willing to pay a very good price, just don't rape me, lol.....

Come on guys, it's the least you can do, lol......

Sorry, it's my last ditch effort.....  Ha Ha  :)

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#45]
I was also going to mention that the Kings is the hardest part to get because there really is no work around other than using an Ed Brown.  Sure you can use a Caspian, but it's not the same and the trained eye can tell.  You really can't modify any other safety and make it look right like you can for the Clark and the front sights.  Those parts all have work arounds if you can't find the exact part.  I posted this before, but if you take a look at this Meusoc which was recently taken out of commission, you can see it has an Ed Brown Thumb Safety.  So at one time, like Ben previously said, parts were used and interchanged.  So if you want to do an authentic Meusoc clone and can't find a Kings 201a, it would still be correct to use the Ed Brown, just not exactly standard.

photo courtesy of PWS2112

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:17:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Today I bought the biggest POS 1911 I've ever purchased.  It was a nasty looking custom Para Ordnance P12.  I'd post a picture but it's just plain scary.  The nice thing about it is the thumb safety I just took off:

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:53:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Today I bought the biggest POS 1911 I've ever purchased.  It was a nasty looking custom Para Ordnance P12.  I'd post a picture but it's just plain scary.  The nice thing about it is the thumb safety I just took off:

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp284/hobbs5624/SAM_4207_zpsc95dc939.jpg
View Quote

Woah, dedicated man... Bravo!
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#48]
While there are several parts that can be retrofitted (Millett sights) or modified to suit, there are other parts that are not available, and people spend years looking for them.

Ben has done a fantastic job producing the rear sight.

Could we use Kickstarter to produce a replica of the Clark grip safety?

This was probably a casting that was finish machined.

Besides the enthusiasts who are here and on several other sites devoted to the 1911, there are two or three gunsmiths (Berryhill, Sams) who produce or produced early MEUSOC replicas, and who might welcome the part.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

what is it?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:03:42 PM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By NapeSticksToKids:
what is it?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NapeSticksToKids:

what is it?

King's 201A
Page / 71
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top