User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 71
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mlin:
View Quote

X300 along with surefire add-on rail had been used on M45 pistol prior to acquisition of M45A1. Backgroud of the photo above is the page shown such setup on M45 in MARSOC book.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 8:19:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Eagerly awaiting that PWS replica rear!!!!
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 8:30:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lear60pilot] [#3]
The first batch of 7 sights is done.  I am going to PM those who contacted me in first in order.  If you did not get contacted, you will be in the next batch which has already been started.    I have not seen one up close yet, but based on the pictures, they turned out very nice.  He ended up making the line spacing on the serrations at 28.5 lpi.  What I am told is that there are many small variations to these rear sights depending on the builder and line spacing can vary.  The smith had one of the instructors check out his work and he said they are GTG.

Link Posted: 12/16/2013 10:04:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Mother of God!  I agree, the line spacing thing is rather cool.  I've seen a few variations of the sight.  No matter how you slice it, it's the real deal.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 11:49:05 AM EDT
[#5]
They came out great! 2 legit to quit!

Link Posted: 12/16/2013 11:52:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I almost forgot, put a deposit on this over the weekend-

Link Posted: 12/16/2013 4:37:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Is it too late to get in on these?
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I can't wait to get this build kicked off.  lear60pilot, thanks for organizing this deal with the rear sights.  I need to find a GI frame!

Link Posted: 12/16/2013 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ugotbit:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b350/ugotbit/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps0109f1c4.jpg
View Quote

Mind me asking what you paid for it?

Wonder why they didn't checker the front strap..
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By skeeters65:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b350/ugotbit/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps0109f1c4.jpg

Because Marines don't need any sissy checkering.  They chew up rocks and spit out gravel.  Of course, I'm kidding.  Checkering would have been cool, but it's probably a pretty expensive option that was probably evaluated as a cost to benefit thing.  At least that's my guess.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By usnguns:
I can't wait to get this build kicked off.  lear60pilot, thanks for organizing this deal with the rear sights.  I need to find a GI frame!

<a href="http://s1086.photobucket.com/user/usngm2sw/media/DSC01360_zpsda310366.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j449/usngm2sw/DSC01360_zpsda310366.jpg</a>
View Quote

Nice man!  I looked long and hard for a USGI frame that I wouldn't feel bad about cannibalizing.  I found a Remington Rand that had a slide already modified.  I paid $850 for it.  I sold all the USGI parts from the frame that I wouldn't need, like the safety, hammer, etc.  I also sold the slide and barrel separate.  In the end, I wound up with a frame that cost me about $400.  Not a bad deal in my opinion.  Anyway, I see them all the time on GunBroker.  The trick there is to know all the different search terms as well as the words to exclude.  You can find at least a half dozen USGI donor guns every week there that have already been modified, and for under $1000.  After parting the gun out, you'll be in the same boat as me.  Don't know if that's acceptable money wise, but all the stripped USGI frames I've seen go for $500 plus.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 5:57:34 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

$100 over MSRP

It was a impulse buy
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#13]

$100 over MSRP

It was a impulse buy
View All Quotes

$100 over MSRP

It was a impulse buy

Better than the $3k they were on Gunbroker.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By hobbs5624:

Nice man!  I looked long and hard for a USGI frame that I wouldn't feel bad about cannibalizing.  I found a Remington Rand that had a slide already modified.  I paid $850 for it.  I sold all the USGI parts from the frame that I wouldn't need, like the safety, hammer, etc.  I also sold the slide and barrel separate.  In the end, I wound up with a frame that cost me about $400.  Not a bad deal in my opinion.  Anyway, I see them all the time on GunBroker.  The trick there is to know all the different search terms as well as the words to exclude.  You can find at least a half dozen USGI donor guns every week there that have already been modified, and for under $1000.  After parting the gun out, you'll be in the same boat as me.  Don't know if that's acceptable money wise, but all the stripped USGI frames I've seen go for $500 plus.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By usnguns:

<a href="http://s1086.photobucket.com/user/usngm2sw/media/DSC01360_zpsda310366.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j449/usngm2sw/DSC01360_zpsda310366.jpg</a>

Thanks for the advice.  I've been eyeing a few that were stippled, reblued, etc.  I'd like one with a rebuild stamp on it, too.  That way I wouldn't feel as bad about using it as a donor.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#15]

$100 over MSRP

It was a impulse buy
View All Quotes

$100 over MSRP

It was a impulse buy

Whats MSRP price?
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#16]
manufacturer's  suggested retail price
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 4:04:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By accurange:
View Quote

haha
I know what MSRP means. Wondering what the actual MSRP pice is..
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#18]

haha
Thanks
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By accurange:

haha
Thanks

LOL

MSRP is $1995
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 8:46:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Has anyone considered or tried profiling an oversized Novak front dovetail sight to the contours of the older Millet style?
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 8:59:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Colt MSRP actually raised the MSRP to $2095
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 10:07:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Hello gentlemen. I was wondering if it is still possible to purchase 2 of the rear sights. I am building a clone also, and this is the sight that I need . Thanks. Herbert Meier jr.
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 10:21:16 AM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By jtb0311:
Has anyone considered or tried profiling an oversized Novak front dovetail sight to the contours of the older Millet style?
View Quote

The older Millett is a stake on front.  The Novak is a dovetail.  The problem with getting an authentic looking Millett front is that they were made from MIM, back in the day before anyone heard of MIM.  Consider it a cast part, with features like the serrations cast in.  You can take a front sight blank and ramp it, and you could even cut the serrations the way the Milletts were cast (more of a stair step than standard front serrations), but you will end up having very crisp edges.  The Milletts are almost rounded at the corners of each step.  The next issue is that the Millett has a skirt at the base.  If someone wanted to replicate a Millett stake on front, serrated ramp .225" high, you would either have to fabricate one from scratch and debur it properly, or you could probably start with a Cylinder and Slide strong sight, mill the dovetail off to make a tenon, modify the skirt, cut the serrations, and debur it.  In other words, it would be much more work that modifying a Millett dual crimp.

The easiest thing to do to replicate a stake in Millett with serrated ramp is to find one of their dual crimp sights.  I posted prior in this thread about how to replicate the stake in look with a dual crimp sight (see the top of page 46).  While stake in Milletts are exceedingly rare (I came across about 10 this last year on eBay doing searches every day), dual crimps are much easier to find.  The supply is definitely drying up though.  

Again, any Millett is hard to find, and even the dual crimp with serrated ramp is hard to find anymore.  More common are the white dot front sight.  If you can find one in .340" or taller, you have enough height to lose the cast in recessed white dot when you cut it down to .225".  The .312" is too short to go to .225", but is sufficient to do a .200" front.
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Just a heads up for those of you that missed out on the first batch of these sights, it's not too late.  I will make an announcement soon.  Hopefully by Saturday.  :)

Originally Posted By herbie220:
Hello gentlemen. I was wondering if it is still possible to purchase 2 of the rear sights. I am building a clone also, and this is the sight that I need . Thanks. Herbert Meier jr.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/19/2013 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#24]

The older Millett is a stake on front.  The Novak is a dovetail.  The problem with getting an authentic looking Millett front is that they were made from MIM, back in the day before anyone heard of MIM.  Consider it a cast part, with features like the serrations cast in.  You can take a front sight blank and ramp it, and you could even cut the serrations the way the Milletts were cast (more of a stair step than standard front serrations), but you will end up having very crisp edges.  The Milletts are almost rounded at the corners of each step.  The next issue is that the Millett has a skirt at the base.  If someone wanted to replicate a Millett stake on front, serrated ramp .225" high, you would either have to fabricate one from scratch and debur it properly, or you could probably start with a Cylinder and Slide strong sight, mill the dovetail off to make a tenon, modify the skirt, cut the serrations, and debur it.  In other words, it would be much more work that modifying a Millett dual crimp.

The easiest thing to do to replicate a stake in Millett with serrated ramp is to find one of their dual crimp sights.  I posted prior in this thread about how to replicate the stake in look with a dual crimp sight (see the top of page 46).  While stake in Milletts are exceedingly rare (I came across about 10 this last year on eBay doing searches every day), dual crimps are much easier to find.  The supply is definitely drying up though.  

Again, any Millett is hard to find, and even the dual crimp with serrated ramp is hard to find anymore.  More common are the white dot front sight.  If you can find one in .340" or taller, you have enough height to lose the cast in recessed white dot when you cut it down to .225".  The .312" is too short to go to .225", but is sufficient to do a .200" front.
View All Quotes

I do know the difference, I was just curious if it was something anyone had tried.  I have a MIllet dual crimp lying around somewhere.  I took it to a gunsmith a couple of years ago and asked him to install it, he demurred.  I'll find something to put it on someday.
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 12:20:03 AM EDT
[#25]
the dual crimp sight may still be an option for a meusoc build. if anyone goes to m14forum.com and type in meusoc  there is a thread titled colt marine pistol page 3 where well respected member and former usmc armorer states in the thread that the dual crimp sight was once used on some early meusoc pistols before being replaced by the single stake front sight.  hopefully someone here can post a link to the thread    some very good info
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 10:29:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lear60pilot] [#26]
A new batch of 10 were completed of the Rear sights. They turned out amazing as you can see by the pics.  This is the real deal guys.  50 sights were cut total and the remaining 40 will be available shortly after Christmas after they are finished.   These sights were done with the more traditional 40 LPI serrations.  I have contacted the next in line.  If you don't get one of these 10 sights, be patient until after Christmas.

btw... if you are going to send me a message to ask information about these sights, please email me instead of PM...My box is full, lol....

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 12:16:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Sent you a pm
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 5:57:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Just paid for two... WOOT!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 10:58:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Email sent
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 8:27:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Email sent.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 8:32:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hobbs5624] [#31]
Just unwrapped my rear sight.  Thanks lear60pilot, and thanks to your PWS friend.

Link Posted: 12/24/2013 1:20:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lear60pilot] [#32]
That looks very nice J.   Looks like you have a near perfect clone going on there. Is the pistol done? or are you going to finish the Clark?  I like the way the sight looks mounted, even better than I imagined.

Never mind, I guess I should have looked a little closer at the pics.  Looks like you got a little more work to do.  Can't wait to see it when it's all done.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 1:41:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hobbs5624] [#33]
I have to fit the slide to the frame, fit the Bar-Sto, machine a flat for the front sight, stake the front sight, install the lanyard to the mainspring housing, bevel the mag well, do a little more finish sanding on the beavertail, stamp the serial numbers, and refinish the gun.  With kids sports, work, and other 1911s to finish up, I have very little time, even though this gun is only about 10 hours from completion.  One of these days.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#34]
hey lear60pilot.  im new to forums in general and need one of those rear pws sights.  attempted to send a message but it keeps saying message failed to send or something.  i need info on how to purchase one of these from you.  thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/26/2013 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#35]
email sent
Link Posted: 12/26/2013 7:26:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lear60pilot] [#36]
Guys, I appreciate all the response and interest in the rear sights.   Someone in this forum said it well.  "You have achieved a goal none other has."  Let me just clarify something before the mods jump in here and make life difficult for us.  It was not all my doing.  There are many moving parts and people who contributed to get these sights made.  Your interest and the Meusoc purists were actually the main reason.  It doesn't hurt that this is a kick ass sight to begin with.  That being said, please don't post reply's that you have sent me an IM or email that you want to buy a sight.  I am pretty sure there is no selling tolerated in this forum and this is not the place for it.  Please contact me through email if you have any interest in the rear sights.   I am merely just the messenger here for my buddy who does not do the internet thing or have an AR15.com account.  I am not selling these for myself or getting anything in return.  I selfishly wanted one for my Meusoc build and what better way to get one but from the source itself. Since I worked with the smith to get one made, I suggested he make more than just one to help everyone out who also wanted one.  :)  If you contact me about info on these sights, I will just pass your information along to him.  In there near future, I will post a thread in the Equipment Exchange as where this thing should be in the first place once there is sufficient supply to handle the demand.  There were 7 sights made by hand on the mill which are all gone.  Another run of more sights  are in the process of being finished and will be available soon.  About 20-30 of those have been sold as well.  Nothing is for certain, so if you really want one or more sights, you should not wait and get them while you can.  In the mean time, it would be nice if there was some more technical discussions going on about Meusocs!!  ;)
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Kevyn:
Interesting auction on Gunbroker

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=384160085
View Quote

I saw that too.  I think that guy posted that pistol in this thread.  Nice lookin' gun, but not very correct.  Most importantly, who did the work??
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#39]

Can anyone ID this sight?
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 6:58:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Is it an oversized Novaks?
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 7:04:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Is it an oversized Novaks?
View Quote

Not any of the ones I saw at Brownells. The Novak and MGW do not have the wider base this one has.

The only sight I saw that looked similar was one for a Para
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 11:40:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Parabellum226] [#42]
View Quote

That is my gun for sale in the link. I kept the "for sale" out of this thread because I did not think it's the appropriate place to post and get views. If you have any questions about the gun, I would be happy to answer them through private message or e-mail. Thank you.

Thomas
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 1:21:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Parabellum226:

That is my gun for sale in the link. I kept the "for sale" out of this thread because I did not think it's the appropriate place to post and get views. If you have any questions about the gun, I would be happy to answer them through private message or e-mail. Thank you.

Thomas
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Parabellum226:

Thomas

Nice looking piece. Nice work!
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 9:34:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Snafu12:
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/114/114112.jpg

View Quote

C&S Strong Sight
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 9:04:26 PM EDT
[#45]

C&S Strong Sight
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Snafu12:
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/114/114112.jpg

C&S Strong Sight

C&S LINK

I think this could be profiled to resemble the Millett front and is plenty tall to work with. The benifits of the dovetail and pin go without mention.

Good find guys!
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 12:23:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Not to cause any more drama, but if you want the MEUSOC REAR "PWS" sight. There will be no more middle man. E-mail me directly.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 1:19:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Welcome aboard!
S/F,
Scott
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 10:04:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lear60pilot] [#48]
Welcome aboard Shue!!

Lear60pilot.....
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 8:16:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mlin] [#49]
I received both (milled by hand and CNC version) of the replica sights. The CNC version is slightly narrower. Both are excellent sights. 2 thumbs up!!!
I will be using these not only to MEUSOC replica pistol, but also for some of my basic 1911 without fancy Novak / Hienie cut.
Some crappy cell phone photos for comparison.

Link Posted: 1/4/2014 7:31:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lear60pilot] [#50]

Pics aren't showing :(.

Edit...   I see them now :)
Page / 71
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top