Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:39:34 AM EDT
[#1]
It's an odds game in my opinion. I happen to know that there isn't a single law enforcement officer in a 630 square mile area MINIMUM east of my current location. I also know that in the next county over, there isn't a single Sheriff's deputy awake right now. East of there, I can't imagine it would be any better. Then, any officers that are on duty may be out on other calls. If I were eastbound behind a possible drunk driver, I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to do anything about the situation.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:48:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm happy to see neighborhood watch is in full swing
View Quote

I can tell that people are going to have fun with you.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:52:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I once ran a car like that off the road -- on foot.  He was driving real slow on a 45 mph road.  I sure as shit called the cops.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:57:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Hell I turn people in for DUI if they flip me off or for driving slow in the fast lane...Im a hater
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:57:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'd call.  They can find their own PC for the stop though.

If it's obvious enough for me to call, they should have no problem observing a violation.
View Quote

what are you going to say when you call? "hey there is a guy in a car on the road with me come look at him"
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:02:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Watched a probable DD driving all over the road one night.

Didn`t have a cell phone at the time. Would have called it in, no problem.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:11:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have personally declared dozens of innocent people dead from fuck head drunk drivers killing them, including many kids.  I've been on the hose line and put burning children out from the fiery DUI crash.  DUI apologists can go fuck themselves.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

I have personally declared dozens of innocent people dead from fuck head drunk drivers killing them, including many kids.  I've been on the hose line and put burning children out from the fiery DUI crash.  DUI apologists can go fuck themselves.

If that reply doesn't stop you from being a DUI apologist, then FOAD.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:18:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:27:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No. Fuck the police.
View Quote

Well bless your heart...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:48:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Anyone that drunk deserves a little talk with the police. If that driver was that far out of this world, he needs to wake up in a jail cell.

I've seen quite a few drunk drivers over the years. If there is a little weaving here and there, I mind my own business, assuming they aren't doing anything totally irresponsible or if there aren't a whole shit load of passengers. If they can't keep their shit in their lane, or drive like a fuck face, it's time to call them in. So far I haven't seen anyone fucked up enough for me to call them in. I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

My friend and I pulled a drunk guy out of an overturned van on a windy ass highway a few miles from here. The van went off the side of the highway, slammed into a small mound of dirt, hit a fucking tree, then landed on it's roof in a deep ass drainage ditch. From the highway to the undercarrage of the van, it was a solid 4 feet down. It was steep, too. The van held up suprisingly well, except for the front end. There was a small crowd of about 6 people standing around with cell phones acting timid and confused. I smelled something smouldering. I had no idea what the fuck it was, but it smelled like things were about to go bad. My friend (a former marine) said we gotta do something. Ok man, lead the way. Thankfully nothing bad came of the situation other than the driver's new criminal record. It really fucked my world up trying to navigate through an upside down van full of boxes of shit, trying to help drag a passed out drunk guy out. Especially with the smell of something smouldering. The drunk guy was like a 200+ pound rag doll. It took some doing to drag his drunk ass out of there. When the fire fighters showed up, they had the "not this shit again" look on their faces. The state trooper didn't look too happy.

We never flat out told the officer or firefighters our honest opinion, other than: "It's 11pm, it's a friday, it's pretty obvious what's going on here." They all said "yeah, we see this all the time" then went about their business. From then on, I pretty much accepted the fact that I am going to have to call in on someone if they can't handle their shit while driking. I'm a little pissed that I didn't get the chance to do this to that van guy. We came around a corner on the highway and there it was, the undercarrage of a van.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:53:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Do the police a favor, when you call in to 911 stay with the drunk until we can catch up.
View Quote

No thanks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:56:22 AM EDT
[#12]
You might save the drunk drivers life too, let alone anybody he might hit.  If you cant stay in your lane and look like you are going to crash i call you in.  You never know, they might be having a medical emergency.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:57:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:01:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Generally no, but one night I had one come right over into my lane and I had to hit the ditch to avoid a head on.  I turned around and gave chase while calling 911 to report as I continued to watch him take up both lanes of the road.  When it became clear that 911 dispatch didn't give a shit I turned around and went home.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:03:34 AM EDT
[#15]
why are Russians lit at 6;oo am

My boss just a year ago got to pull a guy out of his van to watch him take his last breath.
Right after his drunk ass headoned the car in front of my boss.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:04:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I introduced this guy to the man.  It was quite a sight -- passed out drunk, door open, one leg hanging out the car.  
I called because:
1.  If he was impaired and woke up, he might drive away.
2.  He could have been having a medical event and quite possibly die.  
3.  He was vulnerable.  Anyone could have ripped him off, or yanked him out of the car and stolen it (although he probably deserved it).

Driver passed out, engine running, in DUI case - 08/27/2014

A 50-year-old Key West man was so drunk this weekend that he passed out behind the wheel of his car in the Publix parking lot with the door open and music blaring, according to police.

Gerardo Gabriel Ortiz Dorgans was cited for driving under the influence, despite his pleas to officers that he hadn't been driving but parked after drinking "a couple shots of rum," Officer Alexander Rodriguez wrote in his report.

Officers said that at 6:53 p.m. Saturday at 2900 North Roosevelt Blvd., Ortiz Dorgans was asleep in the driver's seat of a green Honda Element with his left leg hanging out of the open door.

The engine was running and music was on, police said. An officer turned off the radio and woke the driver, who said he was waiting on his sister to leave Publix and he had fallen asleep.

He admitted to drinking an airplane-style sized bottle of rum about one hour prior, but later said he bought two of the tiny bottles from the Publix liquor store, police said. One of the bottles was found beneath the driver's seat.

Ortiz Dorgans failed the field sobriety tests and was handcuffed and taken to the DUI room at the jail on Stock Island. He would not take a breath or urine alcohol test, police said, and was given a summons to appear in court Sept. 11.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:00:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

This.

If someone is driving drunk or stupid, then fuck them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:17:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I've done it with a guy I was following for 20 miles on the highway. Dude was swerving all over the place and you could see him pounding tall boys. Unfortunately, dispatch asked if I could stay behind him and I did as far as I could to help, but was coming home from some college classes I was taking and had to get ready for work. Don't know if they caught the guy or not, he exited when I did but went the opposite direction.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:36:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I would create jointer for him
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:57:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Absolutely call the police. If you say anything else you should be booted off this planet.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:59:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Absolutely call the cops.
View Quote

You only MYOB when they are not endangering others.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:01:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have called 911 let them know I'm off duty heading down so and so road with my flashers following plate # so and so who appears to either be having a diabetic attack or drunk can you send someone fast. No pity on drunks. They can call a cab like I do. If the cop wants to let them park it and call a ride or cab I don't care. I'm not trying to ruin someone's life over a bad decision but many circumstances make the whole event play out the way it does.
View Quote

I NEVER call in a drunk driver. I call them and say "I wish to report an apparently impaired driver. This person is weaving into oncoming traffic and onto the shoulder, and doing it constantly, like 7-8 times per minute." Don't say drunk, don't give a diagnosis. Let the LEO do this.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:03:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Followed a car home tonight on a 2 way highway.The car ahead of us was obviously impaired.The car would swerve into oncomming traffic, and then whip the car back so  fast,,he would hit the gravel shoulder.The swearving happend at least a  dozen  times, in the course of 15 miles.On  2 occasions, the person drove in the right turn lane, but  then wipped the car back into his lane, when the turn lane ended.The guy also could not figure out  when to use his bright, and dim  lights.Finally the person would signal to take  a left turn, where i know there was no turns there.
The person was obviously in no shape to drive.What would you do?MYOB? or try to get this person off the road before he kills someone, or himself?
View Quote

I'd have called..and have done so in the past.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:20:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.
View Quote

WTF 13er

Yes call the cops for sure. I don't give a s**t about a drunk driver and you might just end up saving a life in the process.
View Quote

Cuz 13 has everything to do with it
View Quote

Sorry about the alcoholism

I that someone who needs help can find it, before it's too late

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:25:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Probably not. I might try to pass him and get as far away from him as possible as quickly as possible. I would probably honk my horn at him as I passed.
View Quote

I would be more likely to back off and just let him go.  I don't need to get closer to a (proverbial) train wreck, I need to get farther away.  

Passing him just gives him an opportunity to swerve into you.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:36:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

what are you going to say when you call? "hey there is a guy in a car on the road with me come look at him"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd call.  They can find their own PC for the stop though.

If it's obvious enough for me to call, they should have no problem observing a violation.

Call and give all the descriptors (vehicle, location, driving behavior, etc).  I'll stay on the phone with dispatch and call it out until an officer can get behind the vehicle.

Like I said,  if the driving is that bad the officer should have no problem observing a violation.  Keeps me from having to write a statement and, more importantly, out of court.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Absolutely call.

How bad would a person feel if they didn't call and then learned that a car matching the description
was involved in a wreck that killed someone?

View Quote

someone from GD?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yes I'd call, and I have before. Could save a life or two.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Yes I would call.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Followed a car home tonight on a 2 way highway.The car ahead of us was obviously impaired.The car would swerve into oncomming traffic, and then whip the car back so  fast,,he would hit the gravel shoulder.The swearving happend at least a  dozen  times, in the course of 15 miles.On  2 occasions, the person drove in the right turn lane, but  then wipped the car back into his lane, when the turn lane ended.The guy also could not figure out  when to use his bright, and dim  lights.Finally the person would signal to take  a left turn, where i know there was no turns there.
The person was obviously in no shape to drive.What would you do?MYOB? or try to get this person off the road before he kills someone, or himself?

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:34:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Absolutely call the cops.

This.  IDGAF if you are drunk, texting, applying makeup, tired, or just a shitty driver.  If you can't drive safely then you shouldn't drive.

ETA And I'm certainly not a MADD crusader.  I should be able to go out and have a couple beers without not having to worry about defending myself in court because I hit a checkpoint in the middle of nowhere or I have a "tail light that is out".  I also shouldn't have to sit in line at a "safety checkpoint" at 3PM on a Sunday because they are fishing for drunks.  But people that actually drive drunk?  Fuck them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:47:39 AM EDT
[#33]
When you have had Family or close friends killed by them. Would call Police and Have called them. Fuck drunk Drivers!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#34]
I would and have.

MYOB only goes SO far. When you're SO fucked up you are unable to turn without nearly hitting me and nearly hit three other cars on your way to the local grocery store, yeah, I call the cops.

They didn't get her before she pulled out of the parking lot, but they DID get her within a mile of the store.

Maybe she would have gotten home without killing someone, but I wasn't about to have it on my conscience if she didn't. Besides, did I mention she damn near hit ME? If I wasn't paying attention she would have. That tends to put me in a surly mood.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:57:05 AM EDT
[#35]
I have before, and will again. I don't want some drunk killing my kids.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:00:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yes I'd call, and I have before. Could save a life or two.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:50:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
No.
View Quote

First Post is from WI.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

There's the answer
video
cell phone
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Absolutely call.

How bad would a person feel if they didn't call and then learned that a car matching the description
was involved in a wreck that killed someone?
View Quote

I can think of one that apparently wouldnt lose a minute's sleep over it    
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:18:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Hell My dad called one in on the CB radio back in the 70's  Guy was driving with his head on a pillow on the driver's window, swilling out of a bottle swerving between the left and middle lanes someplace in ohio....
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:22:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Yes,  have done it, and  will do it again. It may be a friend or family members life I save!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:07:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
DUI apologists can go fuck themselves.
View Quote

i would call the cops, because this.  nothing more selfish, irresponsible, and inexcusable than drunk driving.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:08:05 PM EDT
[#44]
I did just 2 weeks ago.

Guy couldn't stay straight in his lane for more than 100 yards. Drifting until he was driving fully in a bike lane, then back the other way until he was fully in the oncoming lane.

Bet your ass I called and reported.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Call the cops. The person is DUI and will get someone killed.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Sure.  Could be a drunk, could be a medical emergency, who am I to judge?  Of course I wouldn't be too terribly surprised if they didn't respond or weren't able to get someone into the area.  The worst traffic accident I ever worked was from one of those citizen complaints.  I got there about thirty seconds too late.  Saw the whole thing, just wasn't close enough yet to make a stop even though I was closing at warp speed.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Depends. In OPs situation it is an obvious call. Ive seen a lot of people get DUIs driving from country bars on gravel to their country home 2 miles away and not another car in sight, except for the cops. I cant agree with that.

There are some areas in North Dakota where if the Sheriff and his deputies are overzealous in DUI enforcement, the Sheriff doesnt keep his job. They are known to give locals a ride home, or even follow them home in there vehicle if they are not wasted.

If you are so drunk that you are swerving and driving in a populated area at 4 in the afternoon you probably deserve some prison time, even for a first offense.

In my town if the police come in contact with anybody thats drunk around closing time a cab just about always gets called for them. They dont even give you a choice.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:27:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Hell yes, I called the cops on a trucker that almost killed a minivan full of kids because he was too tired.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I would and I have.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Sure would. I have done it before and I would do it again.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top