User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:08:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Educate me.

Tell me about the millions we sent to death squads in El Salvador.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't get to say, "We sent millions to death squads in El Salvador ..."
Educate me.

Tell me about the millions we sent to death squads in El Salvador.
This is why I tagged this thread. I always like to hear from people who have btdt.

Edit- so I'm not misunderstood I know uxb has.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:13:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Show me where we directly did such a thing, aside from our outright decimation of the German industrial machine in WW2.

However, I'd certainly think that at this point, the GWOT would've been better fought if we'd treated Iraqi and Afghani cities like Dresden.
View Quote
You were the one saying US Support for the murders of El Salvadoran children was acceptable because they were "communists". That that was simply, "war"....How is that any different than the "war" the IRA was fighting? Dead kids are dead kids. It's wrong, it's not wrong....or maybe sometimes it's wrong and sometimes it's not- Which is it? Under what context is one result acceptable and under what context is it not?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

it's ok to send money to murder children in El Salvador
View Quote
So we sent money and training to Atlacatl.  I understand that part.

Tell me about the Death Squads and how we funded them.

Who were they?  Who did they work for?  Who did they kill?

What did we get in return for giving them money?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:15:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The U.S. must've sent a lot of money, since their currency is the US Dollar.
View Quote
They didn't adopt the US dollar until 2001 and they adopted it to favor them financially in the export trade business.

I guess we sent Ecuador a lot, too.  Since they use the US dollar as their official currency.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You were the one saying US Support for the murders of El Salvadoran children was acceptable because they were "communists". That that was simply, "war"....How is that any different than the "war" the IRA was fighting? Dead kids are dead kids. It's wrong, it's not wrong....or maybe sometimes it's wrong and sometimes it's not- Which is it? Under what context is one result acceptable and under what context is it not?
View Quote
Show me where we supported the commie IRA.

I have no problems with anything that happened during our proxy wars with the USSR.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:21:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Which IRA?  Micheal Collin's IRA?  The Post Irish Free State IRA or the Provos?  Lots of groups have claimed the mantle of the IRA?  It goes back to the Fenians  in hte 1870's according to some.
View Quote
Came here to post ^^^^

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So we sent money and training to Atlacatl.  I understand that part.

Tell me about the Death Squads and how we funded them.

Who were they?  Who did they work for?  Who did they kill?

What did we get in return for giving them money?
View Quote
I consider Atlacatl a death squad. There were many others, most privately funded by various economic interests (there are some Leftist whack jobs that claim Mitt Romney even helped fund some of them, never really looked into it) that were opposed (rightfully so) to what FMLN represented. What we ultimately got for our support was an El Salvador that was not communist, although recent elections have not been too favorable in that regard.....
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:23:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I consider Atlacatl a death squad. There were many others, most privately funded by various economic interests (there are some Leftist whack jobs that claim Mitt Romney even helped fund some of them, never really looked into it) that were opposed (rightfully so) to what FMLN represented. What we ultimately got for our support was an El Salvador that was not communist, although recent elections have not been too favorable in that regard.....
View Quote
You consider?

Dafuq you?

My guess is that you're less than 40, majored in some sort of liberal arts, and haven't seen the business end of a firearm pointed at you.

Come back with real world experience.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:24:16 PM EDT
[#9]
LOL at "They were terrorists."  The term "terrorist" has become so demonized that it is basically meaningless now, like "racist" and "Nazi."

Shit, you know who else was a terrorist?  Moses.  Read your Book of Exodus and try to tell me I am wrong.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Show me where we supported the commie IRA.

I have no problems with anything that happened during our proxy wars with the USSR.
View Quote
I don't believe I ever said we, as a nation, supported the IRA. We have in arguably supported people far worse though...... Again, nobody has clean hands.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:26:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A bunch of cunts.

The fact that the British were historically a bunch of cunts to the Irish (actually, the British mostly just economically benefited from the Irish upper class being a bunch of cunts to their fellow Irishmen) doesn't make the IRA be something other than a pack of murderous marxist jackals.
View Quote
This. /thread
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You consider?

Dafuq you?

My guess is that you're less than 40, majored in some sort of liberal arts, and haven't seen the business end of a firearm pointed at you.

Come back with real world experience.
View Quote
You're wrong on two of the three. Why would real world "experience" matter? Would it provide context? I thought we decided that didn't matter. Everything is simply black and white....except when it isn't.....
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:27:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
LOL at "They were terrorists."  The term "terrorist" has become so demonized that it is basically meaningless now, like "racist" and "Nazi."

Shit, you know who else was a terrorist?  Moses.  Read your Book of Exodus and try to tell me I am wrong.
View Quote
You so funny....
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:29:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I consider Atlacatl a death squad.
View Quote
So, how did they know who to kill?

Who gave them orders?  Colonel Monterossa?  Who gave him orders?  Roberto D'Aubuisson?

Did someone just give them a list and some money and say we want these people disappeared?

Did the Death Squads fight against each other?

Were we giving millions to the "actual" death squads, or just the military?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:31:07 PM EDT
[#15]
IRA has always been a subject that I've been intrigued to learn more about. Sadly it's always confused the hell out me with the amount of different groups and goals. I thought it was about Ireland demanding freedom from Britain but was confused why religion was apart of it.

Quoted:
Read this. I did my thesis on the IRA and recommend this book to anybody who wants a good overview.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/56078/IMAG0832-287780.JPG
View Quote
Thank you for the recommendation.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:34:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You're wrong on two of the three. Why would real world "experience" matter? Would it provide context? I thought we decided that didn't matter. Everything is simply black and white....except when it isn't.....
View Quote
I'm not the one making an argument for black and white.  I'm not the one bitching about the actions of folks we funded while they were fighting soviets or soviet backed armies.  I like grey areas, because war is grey.

I have experience in grey areas, albeit minor.  From the way you're talking, your only experience comes from books and tumblr posts.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:37:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I consider Atlacatl a death squad.
Apparently they didn't. 
I'd say they chose poorly.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:38:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
IRA or not,  I support the right of the Irish people to resist their occupation- and it can be described as nothing else.
View Quote
And they are seeking to do the same to Ulster...
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:40:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Missed periods
View Quote
Next thing will be pregnant pauses.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:40:59 PM EDT
[#20]
It would be real easy to kill the neighbor that stole my chickens and say the death squad did it.

Lots of personal scores got settled that way.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:43:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It would be real easy to kill the neighbor that stole my chickens and say the death squad did it.

Lots of personal scores got settled that way.
View Quote
Alternately, "No mista, whababi set bomb."
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:50:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Commies to the core.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:50:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:51:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks like I missed my education tonight.

I'm out of here.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:52:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm pretty sure the IRA falls under the classical definition of terrorist.

One could argue, that they had every right to do so to end an occupation of their country and that they weren't wholly indiscriminate in their violence. I.e. Their actions were essentially justifiable and they would be honored now had they won.  

But I'm not buying that they weren't terrorists. Nor as a descendant of Protestant Ulster Scots would I personally make that argument.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:53:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm out of here.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/18677/atlacatl_rz-287948.JPG
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:57:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm out of here.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/18677/atlacatl_rz-287948.JPG
View Quote
Holy shit, I'd heard you'd btdt in passing but damn

For the record I'm on the side of not giving a fuck when death squads go back and forth in civil wars. Shit happens, especially when you're staring down the barrel of enslavement for generations of your descendants.

Fuck commies
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:58:14 PM EDT
[#29]
terrorist scum, fuck be upon them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:59:07 PM EDT
[#30]
From further reading there were/are numerous factions with quite different religious and political ideologies, which is to be expected I guess with a kind of underground organization like the IRA
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:01:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
From further reading there were/are numerous factions with quite different religious and political ideologies, which is to be expected I guess with a kind of underground organization like the IRA
View Quote
Yeah, the IRA was basically like all the different "Al Qaeda" affiliated groups.

Except they drank.

And got less sun.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:06:43 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote
marxist subhuman filth. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:09:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Next thing will be pregnant pauses.
View Quote
Excellent response.  I wasn't expecting anything like that.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:18:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Depends on which IRA you are talking about. The Provos killed less than 2,000  between their founding in 1969 and their disarmament in 1997, 1,100 of those were soldiers or security personnel. They killed less than 700 civilians, many of whom were associated with militias, the government etc...not exactly "blameless" in the whole affair. That hardly makes them blood thirsty terrorists who murdered civilians at every opportunity. If that were actually the case, the body count is pretty damn small, it doesn't compute....
View Quote
What about The Disapeared?

And I'm not saying the loyalists are blameless.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:22:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
There were alot of Marxists though, even back in the IRA's early years there were those cheering the Bolshevists in Russia.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:22:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Those of you who like to read might enjoy an article from The Atlantic from April 2006 entitled "Double Blind".  It outlines how the British destroyed the IRA, and the lengths necessary to do so.  It's currently free in their archives.  

It tells the supposed end of the story, but the major gripe started 350+ years ago.  There's a rather deep hatred between many Irish and Brits, and most won't show that to you.  I quit trying to understand after 20-25 books on the subject.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:24:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Patriots
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:25:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Patriots
View Quote
So were AQI, amirite?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:30:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Last I checked, Moses didn't bomb the market my mom had shopped at just a few days prior.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:33:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So were AQI, amirite?
View Quote
No, those guys are douchebags.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No, those guys are douchebags.
View Quote
Youdon'tsay.jpg
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:39:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Youdon'tsay.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:42:16 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm on mobile, so I can't see icons, but I'm pretty aware of how AQI acted. Ramadi 05-06.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:44:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
IRA has always been a subject that I've been intrigued to learn more about. Sadly it's always confused the hell out me with the amount of different groups and goals. I thought it was about Ireland demanding freedom from Britain but was confused why religion was apart of it.
View Quote
Centuries ago, there was a major fear of the Pope in Rome making the rules if Catholics came to power. Battles were fought to prevent it, Protestants from Scotland were transplanted to Ireland in an attempt to stem the growing Catholic power base. Generation after generation on both sides were fed the belief the others were evil. As modern sensibilities kicked in (and much blood shed), the majority of Ireland became independent and primarily Catholic (in 1921) and the 6 counties of the north became Northern Ireland, and vowed loyalty to the British Crown. There was still a fear of losing power, and the protestants made sure they had total control of all aspects of power in Northern Ireland...and they really were dickheads to the Catholics. It became more of a sense of maintaining power to preserve a culture and ties to England on the one side and the demand for basic civil rights on the other that fell along religious lines.  

As to groups, there are/were many. As a basic rule, any that use "Ulster" are protestant, any that use "Irish" are catholic. Often, a terrorist group will have a "legitimate" political wing (IRA had Sinn Fein, Ulster Freedom Fighters had the Ulster Defence Force). Loyalists and unionists are protestant, nationalists and republicans are catholic.

And as far as goals go, the main goal on the republican side is a united Ireland, while the loyalists want to maintain their place within the UK. Since the ceasefire in '94, with power-sharing in place and once-major players in IRA activities having dinner with the Queen, etc, things have settled down. The UK government has said it will allow Ireland to unite and accept the dissolution of Northern Ireland if a majority in NI vote to do so, and as long as they're no longer getting shot answering the door or getting scooped up with a shovel and dumped into a plastic bag, people are generally satisfied.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:01:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
A bunch of cunts.

The fact that the British were historically a bunch of cunts to the Irish (actually, the British mostly just economically benefited from the Irish upper class being a bunch of cunts to their fellow Irishmen) doesn't make the IRA be something other than a pack of murderous marxist jackals.
View Quote
This. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:20:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'm on mobile, so I can't see icons, but I'm pretty aware of how AQI acted. Ramadi 05-06.
View Quote
It's a pic.

It's the "more you know" pic with the star from PBS or whatever channel it was on.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:28:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Those of you who like to read might enjoy an article from The Atlantic from April 2006 entitled "Double Blind".  It outlines how the British destroyed the IRA, and the lengths necessary to do so.  It's currently free in their archives.
View Quote
Interesting read. Thanks!
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2006/04/double-blind/304710/
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:41:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Communist scum who resorted to bombing innocent women and children.
View Quote
Don't forget about the British Army Band.

They blew up the band while I was stationed in Germany, so was either '88 or '89.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:52:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Communist scum who resorted to bombing innocent women and children.
View Quote
Whatever sympathy I could have ever had for their cause evaporated when watching a video of some IRA dingleberry throw hand grenades at funeral attendees which included women and children.  I cant stand people that wont respect the dead.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:41:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Patriots
View Quote

I could go on, but I am just too fucking disgusted.

There are a lot of dead Americans due to their bomb making expertise they gave (since the 1970s) to radical Islamic terror groups.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top